PDA

View Full Version : When will SLI be fixed?!! Come on!! - Update:Workaround Available

Mentaur
01-14-2015, 09:58 AM
As all of us with multiple nVidia cards know the last patch broke SLI support somehow. It's amazing to think that no-one at Ubisoft tested that increasingly popular configuration, especially when this game requires so much power to get it to 60fps...

I'm not interested in starting a new game at this point, doing workarounds with loading up different sequences, or trying to hack my game back to the previous patch release. It's just not good enough that a major publisher has let such a huge bug go unfixed for so many weeks. Do they not have any pride in this game any more?

Thus I thought surely it would have been possible to fix this with the release of the DLC yesterday. But no. Still every water puddle in the game flickers.

As far as I am concerned there's just no point playing this game until this is sorted. Can anyone at Ubisoft confirm this will be sorted in the next patch - assuming one is planned for all the co-op issues that also got introduced? Patch 1.3 played pretty well. Shame they didn't stop there on the PC.

Thanks.

YazX_
01-14-2015, 01:47 PM
I've seen a simple workaround by deleting intro files, they are located in ACU installation Folder\Videos:

1. Rename file UbisoftLogo.bk2
2. Rename file pc_TWIMTBP.bk2
3. Go to "en" folder and rename both files there, note if you are playing the game in other language than english, then go to the corresponding folder and rename the files, as an example, if you are playing in german language, the folder name should be "de".

However, ill try to dig up the original post, all credit goes to the ones who found this workaround not myself.

Mentaur
01-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Incredible - that does work. Must have missed this particular fix. Thanks a lot.

It seems even more amazing that it isn't officially fixed though as it obviously isn't some massive engine problem.

YazX_
01-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Incredible - that does work. Must have missed this particular fix. Thanks a lot.

It seems even more amazing that it isn't officially fixed though as it obviously isn't some massive engine problem.

You are very welcome, i believe its a shader issue as one of the intros injects a shader which gets stuck and affect SLI, to be honest, Nvidia should fix this with an updated driver/profile.

Carfax83
01-15-2015, 12:04 PM
I've seen a simple workaround by deleting intro files, they are located in ACU installation Folder\Videos:

3. Go to "en" folder and rename both files there, note if you are playing the game in other language than english, then go to the corresponding folder and rename the files, as an example, if you are playing in german language, the folder name should be "de".

However, ill try to dig up the original post, all credit goes to the ones who found this workaround not myself.

Wow, this actually worked! Thanks! :D

BlackLord049
01-15-2015, 12:07 PM
As this bug was not in 1.3 I don't know why Nvidia would fix it in a driver ?
However if they are able to do it so let's be it.

YazX_
01-15-2015, 12:23 PM
As this bug was not in 1.3 I don't know why Nvidia would fix it in a driver ?
However if they are able to do it so let's be it.

because latest Nvidia driver and SLI profile were based on 1.3 version of the game and the optimization was really good, then 1.4 patch has been introduced with some changes on how the game works and no drivers nor profile updates have been released by Nvidia for the updated game, thus its Nvidia's responsibility to optimize their drivers and SLI profile for the current recent version of the game.

BlackLord049
01-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Since the game is powered by Nvidia I hope that Ubisoft is making pressure on them to release better drivers. However this case of flickering should have been tested before releasing the new patch (because it happens on every SLI configuration) or at least, people should have been warned about this problem.

DK_R3AP3R
01-15-2015, 03:21 PM

Does this eliminate flickering textures on SLi configs and what about the stuttering every 2-5sec?
i havent really tried the 1.4 patch becuse of the flickering, so i roll back the patch.

DK_R3AP3R
01-15-2015, 04:14 PM

This didnt Work for me still have the flickering Textures.

DK_R3AP3R
01-15-2015, 04:26 PM
This didnt Work for me still have the flickering Textures.

UPDATE:
I got it to work.
I also had to rename the pc_WarningSaving.bk2 and warning_disclaimer.bk2 in "\Assassin's Creed Unity\videos\en"
Now the flickerings gone,

mskills
01-15-2015, 05:36 PM

I just want to say thanks YazX. Works perfectly with my 980 sli.

Carfax83
01-15-2015, 08:57 PM
UPDATE:
I got it to work.
I also had to rename the pc_WarningSaving.bk2 and warning_disclaimer.bk2 in "\Assassin's Creed Unity\videos\en"
Now the flickerings gone,

Haha, that was step 3 in the instructions :p

Anyway, perhaps the mods should sticky this thread..

LeMinerva
01-16-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks God, it works.

Harmoniser1978
01-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Well done to there person who figured this out.

However, why has ubisoft not made SLI users aware of this or fixed it through at patch or a hotfix? Patch 4 came out several weeks ago and its been a long time since the xmas break. Team ACU should have been working hard during xmas! If you look at what companies like Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, with tiny budgets were doing over and after the xmas period it baffling why a Ubisoft are treating PC owners with such contempt (I include Nvidia in this aswell)

While this eliminates texture flickering it still does not get to the problem that we had pre-patch 4, poor optimization. The FC 4 team seem to have largely fixed the SLI problems, I'm playing that on full settings at 4k with AA set to mssa2. I'm getting on average 44 fps, but the main thing is it pretty stable on my SLI 980s.

ACU is arguably a more taxing game, but it is very unstable in terms of FPS in SLI. The test for this is using only on card. In that configuration I can get ave. 25 FPS with little variation around the mean (so no stuttering). Put in the second card and its all over the place moving from 10 FPS to 50 FPS for no apparent reason other than turning your character around.

All I want to know is will the fix any of this or should I just play at much lower settings and get on with it. I don't understand why they can't tell us what they are doing. I thought that was why they built the ACU Live site!

IGN had thing or their website debating if we the consumers are being hard on Ubisoft, WTF!

Wrath2Zero
01-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Not to defend Ubisoft but come on guys, NVIDIA is to blame for their SLI support and driver bugs, NVIDIA don't even provide SLI profiles for quiet a few games and don't update them or fix them with bugs. It's up to users to report SLI bugs to them. Stop crying about SLI when it's NVIDIA that associate themselves with the game and Ubisoft, they haven't released a driver update since 12th of December 2014.

cptken83
01-17-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks a lot. It works for me too.

Asus Geforce GTX 980 SLI.

Greetz

weiker1
01-18-2015, 12:19 AM
Ok, work se for me.
Thank you very much Yazx_.
Only one thing, i will like know how do you discover this fix??

Thanks.

YazX_
01-18-2015, 12:26 AM
Ok, work se for me.
Thank you very much Yazx_.
Only one thing, i will like know how do you discover this fix??

Thanks.

i didn't discover it myself, but since i'm a mod, i do check all threads and there was a thread about this issue and someone posted this workaround, i couldn't find the original post as it got buried by all new opened threads, that's why i added this line in my post:

"However, ill try to dig up the original post, all credit goes to the ones who found this workaround not myself."

Anyway, if i still have SLI, i wouldn't encounter this issue since i have those files removed to shorten the intro, so it seems the guy who posted this has done the same and figured it out.

Harmoniser1978
01-18-2015, 06:21 PM
Not to defend Ubisoft but come on guys, NVIDIA is to blame for their SLI support and driver bugs, NVIDIA don't even provide SLI profiles for quiet a few games and don't update them or fix them with bugs. It's up to users to report SLI bugs to them. Stop crying about SLI when it's NVIDIA that associate themselves with the game and Ubisoft, they haven't released a driver update since 12th of December 2014.

Why would I complain on about Nvidia on this site? If you look at the nvidia site most SLI usrs are complaining to to them about their woeful SLI support.

I for one have said they should remove the SLI badge from ACU until they and Ubi fix it. Or they should move to a grading system like 3d vision.

Both are to blame and and users are raising it on both forums to the respective forum owner, but its not much point calling out nvidia on this site.