PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity nominated award for storyline.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-13-2015, 06:41 AM
"The Writer's Guild nominated ‪#‎ACUnity‬ and ‪#‎ACFreedomCry‬ for achievement in writing and storyline in the videogame field. Freedom Cry was included because it was released at the end of 2013 and therefore made it into the list that way. The award ceremonies will be held Saturday February 14th in LA New York city." Major AC Fans on Facebook

- In terms of the actual script I thought Unity was excellent. In fact all AC's have awesome scripts and dialogue imo.
- Concept of lot was interesting but presentation of plot was ehhhhh.

What do you guys think. Deserved it?

EDIT: Keep in mind Liberations won an award from the Writer's Guild...... lol

Fatal-Feit
01-13-2015, 08:04 AM
They deserve it. Their stories were fantastic.

Unity will live on like the new AC3. Heavily criticized and hated with passion, but underneath the negativity, it's something grand.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Unity will live on like the new AC3. Heavily criticized and hated with passion, but underneath the negativity, it's something grand.

Agreed.

AC3 and ACU are a bit of an opposite for me.

AC3 I thought the story was great, but I couldn't stand the protagonist.
ACU I thought the story was decent but I really liked Arno

Ziiimmie
01-13-2015, 08:25 AM
is unity really so bad? :confused:
i dont have a next gen console atm still saving up money for a new television but ill get one eventually! haha

auditorevita
01-13-2015, 08:43 AM
AC3 was a great story .
Connor did not fight only for the brotherhood .
Connor fought for weak people .
The purpose of Connor was something seems very Assassin .
Connor was very interested in the American Revolutionary .
but,
The purpose of the Arno was very personal thing .
and,Arno did not have much interest in the revolution.

I love the AC3 and Connor .
I can not like the Arno and ACU.

mrbrightside2011
01-13-2015, 08:57 AM
i dont have a next gen console atm still saving up money for a new television but ill get one eventually! haha

Imagine you've bought your new TV and when you open the box you discover that half the buttons on the remote control are missing. You phone customer service and they tell you that the buttons are available but you first need to spend a week watching the same channel repeatedly. At the end of that week, they will send you a button of their choice.

You then turn on the TV to find that you cannot access a whole bunch of channels. You again contact customer service and they tell you that the channels are available but only if you download a companion app onto your mobile phone. The others you can only access if you pay a monthly subscription but you also have to watch them at the same time as somebody else.

You complain to customer service that that's not really fair because, you know, you paid full price for that TV. "Tough ****", they say, "it's our concept and we're sticking with it because we no longer give a **** what our customers think. Have a nice day!"

THAT is what it's like playing Unity.

The_Kiwi_
01-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Microsoft is spending it's money well I see.

rrebe
01-13-2015, 10:03 AM

Exactly!
I saw nothing wrong with the story in Unity other than it felt kind of short.

X_xWolverinEx_X
01-13-2015, 12:18 PM
my reaction to the nomination
[image removed]

killzab
01-13-2015, 12:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DOqLXrt.gif

ACfan443
01-13-2015, 12:40 PM

If we're talking about AC3, there's nothing grand about an ill-conceived, poorly realised heap of decaying mass. ACU on the other hand has great core gameplay as well a handful of other redeeming qualities, and I agree with you on the first part, the story wasn't half bad. Not worthy of an award but not terrible by any stretch.

Surprisingly, there are quite a few people out there who actually prefer Unity to its positively recieved predecessor
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961714

Journey93
01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
WTF?
this so called writer's guild seems like a joker especially if they also gave Liberation a award lol

Journey93
01-13-2015, 03:35 PM

lol no Unity can't even be compared to AC3 especially from a story perspective
its **** period no one cares about Arno whereas Connor had loyal fans (me included) since the beginning sure some hated him and AC3's story but the majority always liked it

With AC Unity its like story what??? Unity definitely had great gameplay no doubt but the writing was atrocious

Journey93
01-13-2015, 03:38 PM
If we're talking about AC3, there's nothing grand about an ill-conceived, poorly realised heap of decaying mass. ACU on the other hand has great core gameplay as well a handful of other redeeming qualities, and I agree with you on the first part, the story wasn't half bad. Not worthy of an award but not terrible by any stretch.

Surprisingly, there are quite a few people out there who actually prefer Unity to its positively recieved predecessor
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961714

so what? some people always like ****ty things the majority hates and I don'T seem to recall that AC3 (which was apprently very bad according to you) triggered a ****storm like Unity
hell even Ubisofts stock was down by 9% after Unitys release

dargor5
01-13-2015, 03:51 PM
I just think the story was too short and they keep making this assassins where you asume they are badass because well who knows. Where dis Arno learned all the Assassin stuff? Same thing happened with Edward. Put on a hidden blade now you know all of the assassins skills. Drink some hallucinogen and boom you have all your skills. They lack a bit of character development in that form.

ACfan443
01-13-2015, 05:05 PM
so what? some people always like ****ty things the majority hates and I don'T seem to recall that AC3 (which was apprently very bad according to you) triggered a ****storm like Unity
hell even Ubisofts stock was down by 9% after Unitys release

Were you here to witness the fallout when AC3 was released? If your join date is anything to go by, probably not.

Anyone can tell you that the Internet was ablaze with vitriol back then just as much as it is now with Unity, because ultimately both launches were a monumental failure - you may not know it, but AC3 came packaged with a plethora of bugs just like its next gen counterpart - some of which still haven't been ironed out. With regards to the stocks, they recovered from that dip fairly quickly, it was no where near as bad as hit they took when WD's delay was announced. Anyway, I stand by what I said, Unity is the better of the two games, story - debatable, but the gameplay easily trumps the poor man's Uncharted. We're veering off topic though, so back to the award thing.

wvstolzing
01-13-2015, 07:26 PM
If ACU deserves an award for anything, it's for art direction.

... and nothing else.

aL_____eX
01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Still a better love story than Twilight. :rolleyes:

Seriously, the story was short, didn't show any mentionable progress of Arno or any character nor did it have any sort of suspense curve. AC Unity is what it is, eye candy with decent gameplay mechanics and huge performance issues (Framerate, Co-op, online features etc.).

That's how I will always remember Unity - BUT it's a basis for a new way... not sure if that's good or bad yet.

Namikaze_17
01-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Is it April fools day? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Altair1789
01-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Exactly!
I saw nothing wrong with the story in Unity other than it felt kind of short.

I also felt it was short, but I also disliked how there was no first civ or real objective (that was successful)

If they included first civ, more missions per sequence, and made the ending not "we didn't need to do that", then I would have been able to look past certain other things (protagonist, characters). Arno isn't as bad as I credit him for, but I disliked his motivations. Fatal's explained to me a bit of why he was a pretty decent character

wvstolzing
01-13-2015, 07:57 PM
^^ on the Revolutionary Calendar, today is

24 Niv˘se 223

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

There's no 'April' on that calendar.

GunnerGalactico
01-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Ehh, with Unity I'm not sure how I feel atm. I don't feel that it is as terrible as most people make it out to be, but it is not that great either. As for Arno, he seems okay to me.

wickywoowoo
01-13-2015, 09:43 PM

No, ignore the comments. I started my play through after getting all the patches in the new year and I have no problems at all with the game. I think a combo of playing with all the game breaking issues on release and having game saves featuring all that and mixing progressing patches ruined people's play through.

I believe people starting the game new - after the patches - like myself will enjoy it a lot more.

Journey93
01-13-2015, 09:50 PM
No, ignore the comments. I started my play through after getting all the patches in the new year and I have no problems at all with the game. I think a combo of playing with all the game breaking issues on release and having game saves featuring all that and mixing progressing patches ruined people's play through.

I believe people starting the game new - after the patches - like myself will enjoy it a lot more.

yeah but that shouldn't be required they should have released the game when its finished that we have to wait a few months for patches to make the game playable is a joke
and anyway the glitches weren't the only problems (See weak story and even weaker characters)

wickywoowoo
01-13-2015, 10:15 PM
yeah but that shouldn't be required they should have released the game when its finished that we have to wait a few months for patches to make the game playable is a joke
and anyway the glitches weren't the only problems (See weak story and even weaker characters)

I totally agree - but the reality is anyone coming to the game NOW like I have will find a complete game that really is very good. Also a weak story is a personal opinion, some people may really like the story in Unity. Same with characters.

Hans684
01-13-2015, 10:21 PM
That's what happens when you legalize weed.

SixKeys
01-13-2015, 10:22 PM
Lololol, I praise Unity for many things but story ain't one of them.

emperior
01-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Although I wasn't with Arno for most of his choices, in the end I felt connected to him.
ACU story was great. Many people didn't like it just because AC usually provides AWESOME story lines and Unity wasn't as good as the others, but this doesn't mean it's not good.

EmptyCrustacean
01-14-2015, 12:10 AM
Agreed.

Interesting.

EmptyCrustacean
01-14-2015, 12:11 AM
What a joke. Unity has the worst story line of all the games.

AherasSTRG
01-14-2015, 12:32 AM
What? It's not that Unity had a bad story. It's that Unity had absolutely no story.

The writer (I don't know who he is, but he certainly is not the almighty Darby) abused the narrative implications of the Eagle Sense to such a degree there was no actual flow in the story.

Arno looks for a guy in the first mission. Arno kills the guy in the second mission. Arno sees his next target through his Minority Report (but for the past) ability. Arno reports to the council in the third mission. Council is all like "hmm, what do we do now?". Arno is like "I got this, I had a hunch". Next sequence.

Sequences 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are exactly like this. The story starts being developed on a concrete basis only after sequence 10. The only thing that was actually justified properly in a narrative basis is the fact that the Council ****ing kicked Arno's *** out of the Order. But the story keeps going and he magically becomes an Assassin again. After compromising the Brotherhood at least once in each sequence.

Megas_Doux
01-14-2015, 01:09 AM
Agreed.

I feel EXACTLY the same.......I iked Connor as a character, but not its VA.....

I-Like-Pie45
01-29-2015, 04:04 PM
I wonder who this could be. :rolleyes:

ze_topazio
01-29-2015, 04:10 PM
I can't believe he made a third account.

wvstolzing
01-29-2015, 04:23 PM
I wonder who this could be. :rolleyes:

It.... it has to be none other than

Abdul Al-Hazred

The author of the NECRONOMICON..... hence the necro posts

I-Like-Pie45
01-29-2015, 04:25 PM
oh no!

someone call cthulhu!

Shahkulu101
01-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Can't wait till you're perma banned.

Mr_Shade
01-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Why do you swell by an irrelevant topic?

I want you to answer a question if possible.... (T-T )

And you had to make a new account to bypass the ban on your other account, auditorevita..

So now all accounts are banned forever.

wvstolzing
01-29-2015, 06:54 PM
Foolish mortals, a mere ban won't hold him.

He'll wait, dreaming, in his watery grave of non-Euclidean geometry, the depths of R'lyeh! And he'll haunt you in your dreams!

'You guys waiting,
But you guys despair!
You guys despair!'

Journey93
01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Freedom Cry I understand that was a good story especially for a DLC
but Unity? C'mon Writer's Guild its clear that you have either no idea about good stories or were paid off by Ubisoft

DumbGamerTag94
01-29-2015, 09:32 PM
I must say after replaying unity all the way a second time. The story actually is pretty good. Dull in some places yes it's not as action packed as AC3 or 4. But it's not bad at all. I feel like the main problem many people are having is a misconception of how to properly contextualize the story. There's too many people on here who think that the story is centered around the French Revolution or De la serres murder or the Assassins and Templars. If you try to fame the story around these you'll hurt yourself and think that it sucks. Each of those things I mentioned are NOT the PLOT of ACU. They aren't even sub plots really. But rather plot devices that contribute to the development of the true plot. Which is the relationship between Arno and Elise. All of these things contribute and effect their relationship not the other way around. Arno never was working for the "good of France" that was the concerns of the Assassins and Templars who each held different political views on this issue.

And that is the one and only true sub plot of the game. That Fanaticism and obsession is dangerous(Germains fanaticism killed de la serre and started the terror, getting him killed. Mirabeaus obsession with the status quo led to his downfall. He was obsessed with remaining at peace with the Templars, and maintaining as much of the old French social/political structure as possible which got him killed, and his killer was subsequently killed for his radical actions, Elise herself is also killed due to her obsession with killing germain rather than aiding Arno and getting germain with his help). Radicalism=bad is the sub plot of ACU. Arno is the only character who is not radical in any belief system. He isn't pro revolution or pro monarchy(even though he sides with the assassins who are pro girondin the assassins are little more than a tool to Arno. A means to his desired end(finding and killing de la serres killer to redeem himself in Elise's eyes) in fact Arnos clear disconcern with their cause gets him kicked out. He also sees the good in both the assassins and Templars as he was raised by and loves a Templar and is personally an assassin as was his father. And as for his fathers death not being a main focus of the story. You have to once again frame it in the main plot of the story. His relationship with Elise. Does finding his fathers killer help that? No! He doesn't have any leads to follow anyway. All he knows is the Templars got him. He doesn't know who nor does it really matter. He's only worried about de la serres murder because Elise partially blames him for it. Arno keeps his fathers watch because he loved him and nothing more. It's sentimental but he is over his murder. Solving it won't change or fix anything. But solving de la serres would redeem him to Elise. Which is what really matters to him.

And in the end Arno loses everyone and everything he ever loved because of radicalism. He is the only non radical. And thus he survives the revolution. His closing speech (though I think the religious overtones were rather poor taste) is all about avoiding radicalism and thinking for yourself that there is no one truth. The Templars and assassins could have found common ground. Same with the girondins and jacobin. He still considers himself as an assassin. But we never see him properly reconfirmed. To me this means either he was reconfirmed or the assassins were so horribly disorganized and practically as ineffective as the Templars that Arno considers himself a "true assassin". That last bit is never really cleared up. But as for the rest of the story I thought it was actually quite good and very personal to Arno. Not about the revolution or politics or murder mysteries. But one mans journey to redeem himself to the girl he loves only to get caught up in a mess that brings everything down around him. A fairly sad tragedy really

Fatal-Feit
01-29-2015, 10:13 PM
I must say after replaying unity all the way a second time. The story actually is pretty good. Dull in some places yes it's not as action packed as AC3 or 4. But it's not bad at all. I feel like the main problem many people are having is a misconception of how to properly contextualize the story. There's too many people on here who think that the story is centered around the French Revolution or De la serres murder or the Assassins and Templars. If you try to fame the story around these you'll hurt yourself and think that it sucks. Each of those things I mentioned are NOT the PLOT of ACU. They aren't even sub plots really. But rather plot devices that contribute to the development of the true plot. Which is the relationship between Arno and Elise. All of these things contribute and effect their relationship not the other way around. Arno never was working for the "good of France" that was the concerns of the Assassins and Templars who each held different political views on this issue.

And that is the one and only true sub plot of the game. That Fanaticism and obsession is dangerous(Germains fanaticism killed de la serre and started the terror, getting him killed. Mirabeaus obsession with the status quo led to his downfall. He was obsessed with remaining at peace with the Templars, and maintaining as much of the old French social/political structure as possible which got him killed, and his killer was subsequently killed for his radical actions, Elise herself is also killed due to her obsession with killing germain rather than aiding Arno and getting germain with his help). Radicalism=bad is the sub plot of ACU. Arno is the only character who is not radical in any belief system. He isn't pro revolution or pro monarchy(even though he sides with the assassins who are pro girondin the assassins are little more than a tool to Arno. A means to his desired end(finding and killing de la serres killer to redeem himself in Elise's eyes) in fact Arnos clear disconcern with their cause gets him kicked out. He also sees the good in both the assassins and Templars as he was raised by and loves a Templar and is personally an assassin as was his father. And as for his fathers death not being a main focus of the story. You have to once again frame it in the main plot of the story. His relationship with Elise. Does finding his fathers killer help that? No! He doesn't have any leads to follow anyway. All he knows is the Templars got him. He doesn't know who nor does it really matter. He's only worried about de la serres murder because Elise partially blames him for it. Arno keeps his fathers watch because he loved him and nothing more. It's sentimental but he is over his murder. Solving it won't change or fix anything. But solving de la serres would redeem him to Elise. Which is what really matters to him.

And in the end Arno loses everyone and everything he ever loved because of radicalism. He is the only non radical. And thus he survives the revolution. His closing speech (though I think the religious overtones were rather poor taste) is all about avoiding radicalism and thinking for yourself that there is no one truth. The Templars and assassins could have found common ground. Same with the girondins and jacobin. He still considers himself as an assassin. But we never see him properly reconfirmed. To me this means either he was reconfirmed or the assassins were so horribly disorganized and practically as ineffective as the Templars that Arno considers himself a "true assassin". That last bit is never really cleared up. But as for the rest of the story I thought it was actually quite good and very personal to Arno. Not about the revolution or politics or murder mysteries. But one mans journey to redeem himself to the girl he loves only to get caught up in a mess that brings everything down around him. A fairly sad tragedy really
http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/390/3907168/2602181-5254607877-Sherl.gif

phoenix-force411
01-29-2015, 10:34 PM
It's the bad games that somehow have a very interesting story line.

Journey93
01-30-2015, 12:25 AM

Even though I disagree a very thoughtful post!
now if only the story was really like this (because while these events happened you are basically interpretating stuff) then Unity would be a great game

DumbGamerTag94
01-30-2015, 01:00 AM
Even though I disagree a very thoughtful post!
now if only the story was really like this (because while these events happened you are basically interpretating stuff) then Unity would be a great game

Thank you very much. I think? Lol

And the story really is like that. The only thing I inferred/interpreted was arnos return to the brotherhood. Which was based entirely off of the facts that A: Arno is confirmed to return to the brotherhood years later in the novel. And B: Arno referred to himself as an assassin after the end of ACU and during dead kings. The conclusion I came to is that he truely considers himself an assassin but the brotherhood considered him too moderate and didn't readmit him until the triumvirate backfired on them and thus their own radical standpoint also backfired. But that is my inference from that and is not canon however it does make a great deal of sense.

But everything else I put in that post is in the game. And those are the main themes/plots. Arno and Elise and the danger of radicalism. The developers even confirmed that before the game even came out.

I even replayed the entire game with this in mind. Because the first time I thought it sucked too. I strongly recommend to anyone to replay it and focus on arnos reasoning and actions based on what it can do for his relationship with Elise. When you focus everything based on that being arnos soul goal. It all makes so much more sense and is actually pretty good. And if you don't believe me replay it with everything in my post in mind.

DumbGamerTag94
01-30-2015, 01:07 AM
Also I am willing to discuss more specifically any of my points if you don't believe me. I'm open to criticism and elaborating my reasoning

I-Like-Pie45
01-30-2015, 04:25 AM
Oh FFS

SixKeys
01-30-2015, 04:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/WdHEs.gif

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-30-2015, 04:58 AM
Is this seriously the same guy that created two accounts that got banned and now created a third one?

-_-;;

SixKeys
01-30-2015, 05:15 AM
Is this seriously the same guy that created two accounts that got banned and now created a third one?

-_-;;

It's actually his fifth or sixth one so far.

The_Kiwi_
01-30-2015, 06:43 AM
Oh FFS

Is Brian mad? :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
01-30-2015, 08:22 AM
There are some other criticisms regarding Unity's storyline that are kinda the point. For example people say that the only memorable (and therefore standing out) member of the Assassin Council is Mirabeau. Well, yah, that's the point. Mirabeau is the odd one. The Council is a unified unit that acts and thinks alike, Mirabeau's the one who's not like them. And some other things.

Personally, I think the main story is structured fine. The side missions, however, that could be used to strengthen the pillars of the main story (by making spend us more time with Bellec, by elaborating a bit more on the 'assassin council is unified except one' thing, etc.) are not there at all, instead being an express Gump journey that makes us meet with practically every historical person possible. Don't get me wrong, some of those are pretty awesome, but overall I'm fairly disappointed with how the side-missions are handled.

EmbodyingSeven5
01-30-2015, 11:48 AM
https://roamindoodles.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/luke-nooooooo.jpg?w=447:rolleyes:

The_Kiwi_
01-30-2015, 12:45 PM
First documented story writing
They have written before, you just don't know it because it isn't online

And stop making accounts

Journey93
01-30-2015, 12:58 PM
dude its clear the story is dog**** but you are not helping your case with posts like this
I do agree though Amancio should stay the hell away from AC as far as I'm concerned he's a ****ty writer

Shahkulu101
01-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Can't they just ban this guys IP address and stop him making accounts?

GunnerGalactico
01-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Just stop replying to him altogether and maybe he will stop.

Fatal-Feit
01-30-2015, 04:16 PM
Just stop replying to him altogether and maybe he will stop.

If he's resilient enough for a 5-6th account, I doubt ignoring him would do anything. :p

IP banning is what my MMO forums do after the 2nd alt, and I'm surprise the mods haven't done the same.

GunnerGalactico
01-30-2015, 04:32 PM
If he's resilient enough for a 5-6th account, I doubt ignoring him would do anything. :p

IP banning is what my MMO forums do after the 2nd alt, and I'm surprise the mods haven't done the same.

Maybe they should start doing that. It will save them the trouble of having to delete all the spam threads.

Mr_Shade
01-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Guys, lets not discuss bans and our methods of doing so please ;)

I suggest people ignore the guy and he will get the message.... and don't quote him - since I'm now removing his posts since banned people shouldn't have a voice on the forums.

ze_topazio
01-30-2015, 05:05 PM
He already made a new account btw.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-30-2015, 07:01 PM
*facepalms into oblivion*

So yeah, anyway...
Unity nominated for its story line.

Haven't played the game yet, but they must see something that the haters didn't.

Locopells
01-31-2015, 12:58 PM
Please stop replying to him, it doesn't help, I only have to delete them as well - and swearing and endless meme/gif posts ain't exactly within the rules either...

X_xWolverinEx_X
01-31-2015, 01:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aR4XTqh.gif

Mr_Shade
01-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Think next time - people will get infractions for spam..

There is NO need to quote and certainly not post meme's - and you all have been asked before not to do so..

snip

And you were very lucky not to get an infraction for bypassing the swear filter..

The_Kiwi_
01-31-2015, 02:33 PM
Perhaps it would be best to completely erase this thread

vito0rdria0n
01-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Is UBI aware that you regulated freedom of speech?

Mr_Shade
01-31-2015, 03:12 PM
Is UBI aware that you regulated freedom of speech?

You spammed and ignored requests to stop.

This is a bannable offence.

You then created multiple new accounts, which again is against the rules.

This has NOTHING to do with freedom of speech - only your actions - which lead to your suspension.

Making new accounts - will result in them being banned and your comments removed - due to your own actions.

I am locking the thread - since no new comments, other than from people suspended, have kept this going.