PDA

View Full Version : Spit IX extended wingtips?

hughlb2
05-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Was the Spit IX with extended wingtips released in the patch? I have the patch and I have all the IX versions that were included in the release, but none have the extended wingtips. Was the wingtipped version removed in a late Beta? Or is this a bug?

hughlb2
05-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Was the Spit IX with extended wingtips released in the patch? I have the patch and I have all the IX versions that were included in the release, but none have the extended wingtips. Was the wingtipped version removed in a late Beta? Or is this a bug?

John_Stag
05-20-2004, 08:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hughlb2:
Was the Spit IX with extended wingtips released in the patch? I have the patch and I have all the IX versions that were included in the release, but none have the extended wingtips. Was the wingtipped version removed in a late Beta? Or is this a bug?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only spitfire with extended tips was the Mk.VI.

No Mk. IXs with extended tips, or any other mark, for that matter.

:Sergeant! What are you taking those vultures?

Sergeant: Officers to the mess, NCO's to the Guardroom, sir!

[B]:Like hell you are, they made this mess, get them to clean it up!

Sergeant: But what about the officers, Sir?

:Give 'em a bloody shovel.

hughlb2
05-20-2004, 09:19 AM
thanks for the info John, but I am still curious as to why we have seen numerous screenshots of spits with the extended wingtips in the game prior to the release of the patch. However in the release there are none of this type? just wondering if I should be seeing an extended wingtip spit in the game.

SUPERAEREO
05-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Mk.VI and Mk.VII had extended wingtips.

Two Mk.V were modified with them in Egypt to counter Ju.86P high-altitude recon missions.

Can't think of any other spits with extended wingtips at the moment, but it was not a big job to modify them that way: cut-wing Spits came also with non-standard mods, especially in the western Desert.

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Chuck Yaeger

John_Stag
05-20-2004, 09:43 AM
I saw those screenies too.

I don't think we should expect them any time soon, given the patch schedule,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>:Sergeant! Where are you taking those vultures?

Sergeant: Officers to the mess, NCO's to the Guardroom, Sir!

:Like hell you are, they made this mess, get them to clean it up!

Sergeant: But what about the officers, Sir?

:Give 'em a bloody shovel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DONB3397
05-20-2004, 09:45 AM
There was, in fact, a Mk X Spit with an extended wingtip (increased from standard 36 ft. 10 in. span to 40 ft. 2 in.). It was built on the HF wing and included a Merlin 77 engine with a modified supercharger. Specifically, it was intended to intercept high altitude LW recon aircraft over England. Also, as mentioned above, the Mk VI and VII had modified, extended wing variants.

Check out the thread in the Paint Schemes Froum entitled "SPITHF." It looks like someone has modeled it; but I didn't find one in the patch.

SUPERAEREO
05-20-2004, 09:50 AM
I'm sure we'll be getting another patch or an add-on with more planes in a little while: it might even be after PF comes out, but there are a lot of new planes being worked on by third parties.

The Italian guys of the Club Med have already finished the Fiat G.55 and the cockpits for the Macchi C.200 and C.202 are almost finished, apparently, and I am sure ther are other projects being worked on by others in other countries too.

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."
Chuck Yaeger