PDA

View Full Version : Can't purchase songs I want for Rocksmith 2014

Enbolition
01-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Soooo, Why is it that I can't purchase songs I'd really love to play such as "Cowboys From Hell - Pantera" and "You Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest" just because the origional game isn't on my steam account? Seems extremely messed up to me that I can't get these songs for Rocksmith 2014 just because I don't have Rocksmith on my steam ... I have it for PS3 -.-

rcole_sooner
01-12-2015, 07:38 PM
It is a Steam limitation.

I know Ubisoft is working with Steam on this issue.

I really think both companies would like to sell you the songs, so it is not something they are just ignoring.

Enbolition
01-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I really hope it's fixed soon D:

Stoopid_Trippin
01-12-2015, 08:07 PM
I play on PS3 and didn't have the orginal RS when i got those songs. I thought this was only a problem on PC. I dont even have a steam account or use steam. What am I missing here? Are you playing it on both ps3 and pc, and your just saying it will allow you on ps3 and not pc?

Kynlore
01-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I really hope it's fixed soon D:

It's been two years.

Enbolition
01-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I play on PS3 and didn't have the orginal RS when i got those songs. I thought this was only a problem on PC. I dont even have a steam account or use steam. What am I missing here? Are you playing it on both ps3 and pc, and your just saying it will allow you on ps3 and not pc?

The original is on PS3. 2014 is on PC. I'm not gonna buy the same game for PC to get stuff for 2014 lol

rcole_sooner
01-12-2015, 08:22 PM
True about the 2 years ... so I wouldn't wait for the issue to be solved ... it don't look like any fix is soon to be here.

I would wait for a Steam sale on RS1.

And, yes, this only affects PC/Steam; it is not a console issue.

The OP said he is trying to buy these songs on Steam, but only owns RS1 on PS3.

Enbolition
01-12-2015, 08:30 PM
True about the 2 years ... so I wouldn't wait for the issue to be solved ... it don't look like any fix is soon to be here.

I would wait for a Steam sale on RS1.

And, yes, this only affects PC/Steam; it is not a console issue.

The OP said he is trying to buy these songs on Steam, but only owns RS1 on PS3.

Oh... That's really unfortunate =/ I'm probably not gonna buy RS1 even if it's on sale :S But thanks for the info!

The_Working_Man
01-12-2015, 08:53 PM
It's been a problem since the first day RS2014 was released (Oct 2013), so yeah...... I'm sure it'll get cleared up any day now. :rolleyes:

Before everyone jumps in with "this is a Steam problem and Ubi is in no way guilty here", etc. here's my expanded position which you are free to attack as you wish:

When I first bought RS2014, I had the exact same question/issue and was upset just like this OP and many, many others who have posted here since that time. After voicing my frustration here, I got the standard line about how this is a Steam issue and I should go ***** on the Steam forums instead. So, that's what I did.... and guess what I heard over there. Over there they say that UbiSoft should have looked into the Steam delivery capabilities further before advertising that if you purchase RS2014 that you could use all the legacy dlc with it as well. Honestly, I can't disagree with that either. Clearly both companies have some responsibility here.

So..... fast forward to 2015 and what has happened regarding this Day-1 issue? Well, Steam has put in the resources to remove the product ownership restriction from many of the RS1 dlc titles so that they can now be purchased. Why did they stop where they did and not do the rest of the songs? I don't know, but I do know that Steam did something to help correct the issue on their end. They put time and money into working on the problem. In the meantime, I'm not aware that UbiSoft has done anything to address this issue for their customers. Neither am I aware that they have changed their advertising to clarify the issue for new customers. If someone can point me to anything that UbiSoft has done besides point the finger at Steam, then I'd be happy to modify or retract my statements.

"Obviously, UbiSoft can't make changes to Steam, so what could they possibly do?" you might ask. Well, they could reimburse or discount the cost of purchasing RS1 for new customers of RS2014. They could also grant credits on dlc downloads in the amount that people are having to spend buying RS1 for the sake of getting access to the older dlc. Maybe there's something else that would accomplish the same thing in a way that would be more palatable to them. Whatever. Bottom line is that they could do something to make this right besides sitting idly by while the RS community continues to put the blame on Steam.

Bring on the apologists.

The_Working_Man
01-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Oh... That's really unfortunate =/ I'm probably not gonna buy RS1 even if it's on sale :S But thanks for the info!

Some older dlc songs can be purchased without RS1, but it's hit or miss by title. You might try each of the ones you are interested in separately before giving up.

Enbolition
01-12-2015, 10:18 PM
It's been a problem since the first day RS2014 was released (Oct 2013), so yeah...... I'm sure it'll get cleared up any day now. :rolleyes:

Before everyone jumps in with "this is a Steam problem and Ubi is in no way guilty here", etc. here's my expanded position which you are free to attack as you wish:

When I first bought RS2014, I had the exact same question/issue and was upset just like this OP and many, many others who have posted here since that time. After voicing my frustration here, I got the standard line about how this is a Steam issue and I should go ***** on the Steam forums instead. So, that's what I did.... and guess what I heard over there. Over there they say that UbiSoft should have looked into the Steam delivery capabilities further before advertising that if you purchase RS2014 that you could use all the legacy dlc with it as well. Honestly, I can't disagree with that either. Clearly both companies have some responsibility here.

So..... fast forward to 2015 and what has happened regarding this Day-1 issue? Well, Steam has put in the resources to remove the product ownership restriction from many of the RS1 dlc titles so that they can now be purchased. Why did they stop where they did and not do the rest of the songs? I don't know, but I do know that Steam did something to help correct the issue on their end. They put time and money into working on the problem. In the meantime, I'm not aware that UbiSoft has done anything to address this issue for their customers. Neither am I aware that they have changed their advertising to clarify the issue for new customers. If someone can point me to anything that UbiSoft has done besides point the finger at Steam, then I'd be happy to modify or retract my statements.

"Obviously, UbiSoft can't make changes to Steam, so what could they possibly do?" you might ask. Well, they could reimburse or discount the cost of purchasing RS1 for new customers of RS2014. They could also grant credits on dlc downloads in the amount that people are having to spend buying RS1 for the sake of getting access to the older dlc. Maybe there's something else that would accomplish the same thing in a way that would be more palatable to them. Whatever. Bottom line is that they could do something to make this right besides sitting idly by while the RS community continues to put the blame on Steam.

Bring on the apologists.

For real, I would have just got it for xbox or ps3 if I knew this :S

toymachinesh
01-13-2015, 01:52 AM
lol so basically it's Ubisoft's fault that Steam has an archaic failsafe in place that they refuse to take time to remove?

Apologists indeed

The_Working_Man
01-13-2015, 05:03 AM
lol so basically it's Ubisoft's fault that Steam has an archaic failsafe in place that they refuse to take time to remove?

I see you didn't read very far, but here are the glaring holes in your interpretation of what I said above:

1) Steam's delivery system was in place prior to the RS product launch, so yes Ubi does have *some* responsibility for understanding the delivery limitations prior to advertising the product (same with goes for their PS/Xbox launches).
2) As I said above, Steam did not "refuse to remove it." In fact they *have* taken the expense to modify and retest their system for a portion of the songs. IMO, that's Steam meeting Ubi halfway in terms of responsibility to the consumers.
3) I never said it was Ubi's fault, but Steam/Valve already met the consumers halfway on their end of the issue and Ubi haven't done anything that I can see to make it right at all.

toymachinesh
01-13-2015, 05:16 AM
Why should Ubisoft make it right, why should they have to give out free copies of RS1 because Valve doesn't want to do their job? They asked Valve to do something, they did half the job. Does the game work with RS1 DLC? Yup it sure does, looks like Ubisoft nailed that part. Oh wait, Steam prevents customers from downloading "add-ons" when they don't own the game, because...

lol meeting halfway. Hey how about I mow half your lawn for 10 months and you still pay me the same amount of money because you have no choice but to deal with me, I destroy anyone's lawnmower that even tries to mow your lawn on your street if they even mention it.

But don't worry you can pay me to wash your windows, I'll make sure your windows are always clean, that's no problem, just me though, nobody else can do that either.

Every year the game goes down to $7.50 and people are still saying "no sorry I don't want "x song" I just want "x song" and I say the same thing, I'll see you next year for the same conversation. Would really love for Valve to do their ****ing job instead of assert this kind of "haha you're ****ed because you need us to deliver your content" attitude they have towards many companies.

The_Working_Man
01-13-2015, 05:35 AM
Why should they make it right? They asked Valve to do something, they did half the job. Does the game work with RS1 DLC? Yup it sure does, looks like Ubisoft nailed that part. Oh wait, Steam prevents customers from downloading "add-ons" when they don't own the game, because...

They have a responsibility to their customers to make it right because they rolled out a product without understanding the flaws in how they assumed the delivery system would work, advertised an inherent feature that actually requires an additional unstated purchase, and continue to do so even to this day despite the fact that they've known for over a year that it doesn't work the way they thought it would.

It's just like in the PS4/XBone release if UbiSoft failed to work it out in advance with MS and Sony about the need to add all the dlc to the new console stores for upgrading customers to download. Ubi can't just expect those other companies to re-work their systems in order to keep the commitments that Ubi made in advertising the product, and then tell the customers tough sh*t if those other companies fail to do so.

The fact that Steam spent the resources to make up for *any* of this impresses me, and that's why I say they've done enough. What responsibility could they have possibly had to Ubi's customers here?

lol meeting halfway. Hey how about I mow half your lawn for 10 months and you still pay me the same amount of money because you have no choice but to deal with me, I destroy anyone's lawnmower that even tries to mow your lawn on your street if they even mention it.

^ I have no idea what you're trying to say with this or how you think this applies.

toymachinesh
01-13-2015, 05:36 AM
Yeah, we clearly don't feel the same way about Steam.

The_Working_Man
01-13-2015, 05:50 AM
This is my first experience with Steam and before this I was very skeptical and reluctant to do any online gaming registrations and the like. I don't love Steam by any means. But the way I see this particular issue is that Ubi didn't do their homework up-front and hasn't done anything since then but ask another company to fix it.

It'd be great for us if Steam could go ahead and do the rest of the songs, and I don't know why they didn't, but Ubi hasn't stepped up to this plate one bit and they should.

C.Linton
01-13-2015, 06:25 AM
This is my first experience with Steam and before this I was very skeptical and reluctant to do any online gaming registrations and the like. I don't love Steam by any means. But the way I see this particular issue is that Ubi didn't do their homework up-front and hasn't done anything since then but ask another company to fix it.

It'd be great for us if Steam could go ahead and do the rest of the songs, and I don't know why they didn't, but Ubi hasn't stepped up to this plate one bit and they should.

And what EXACTLY do you suggest Ubisoft do to fix this? They've been on Steam's back about this since day one and Steam has done little to nothing to fix it. There's nothing that Ubisoft can do that they haven't done already. it's not like Steam is gonna allow Ubisoft access to their system and servers to fix the issue. Only Steam can do that. Ubisoft can't hold a gun to Stream's head and say "Fix it or we'll shoot."

daddy_felix
01-13-2015, 09:12 AM
The original is on PS3. 2014 is on PC. I'm not gonna buy the same game for PC to get stuff for 2014 lol

wait for a steam sale, you'll get it for 7.99$ (resp. ). That's really not much. Additionally, you have to possibility to buy the import pack. I think that's worth it.

Kynlore
01-13-2015, 01:54 PM
We don't know Ubi has been on Steam's back about this. I think the fact that two years later and it still isn't fixed shows that they haven't been on their back to fix it, otherwise it would be resolved.

My opinion on how it worked out:

Ubi: "Hey, the original game DLC can't be purchased using the 2014 version of the game, can you fix that?"

Steam: "Yeah, no problem." They fix a couple, then leave it to work on other issues.

Ubi: Never checks on it, and when asked, "we told Steam and they are working on it"

Which, I believe, is how they handle all their DLC issues with Sony and Microsoft too.

The_Working_Man
01-13-2015, 03:00 PM
And what EXACTLY do you suggest Ubisoft do to fix this? They've been on Steam's back about this since day one and Steam has done little to nothing to fix it. There's nothing that Ubisoft can do that they haven't done already. it's not like Steam is gonna allow Ubisoft access to their system and servers to fix the issue. Only Steam can do that. Ubisoft can't hold a gun to Stream's head and say "Fix it or we'll shoot."

From my first post:

rcole_sooner
01-13-2015, 03:00 PM
There could also be licensing issue with the artists/labels, not wanting to "give" songs away for a new version of a game.

It could be any number of things, but clearly it is not easy to solve.

Kynlore
01-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Hehe, why would they grant credit? Both Ubi and Steam are making extra money on the people that give up waiting and purchase the original game in order to buy the DLC.

C.Linton
01-13-2015, 03:26 PM
We don't know Ubi has been on Steam's back about this. I think the fact that two years later and it still isn't fixed shows that they haven't been on their back to fix it, otherwise it would be resolved.

My opinion on how it worked out:

Ubi: "Hey, the original game DLC can't be purchased using the 2014 version of the game, can you fix that?"

Steam: "Yeah, no problem." They fix a couple, then leave it to work on other issues.

Ubi: Never checks on it, and when asked, "we told Steam and they are working on it"

Which, I believe, is how they handle all their DLC issues with Sony and Microsoft too.
And you don't know that they haven't, and your "opinion on how it worked out" is all rank speculation at best, based on basically nothing. It makes absolutely no sense that Ubi is sitting on their hands doing nothing about it, this is costing them money that goes to supporting RS and being able to afford the licensing in the first place. If they can't afford to license songs then RS is dead in the water. Your little scenario makes no sense whatsoever.

toymachinesh
01-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Pretty sure the last part of your story isn't true at all, but you know... Stories are fun :)

Kynlore
01-13-2015, 03:59 PM
And you don't know that they haven't, and your "opinion on how it worked out" is all rank speculation at best, based on basically nothing. Your little scenario makes no sense whatsoever.

Pretty sure the last part of your story isn't true at all, but you know... Stories are fun :)

Sure it's a story, sure it's speculation, and sure, it's my opinion. All of which I formed based on what I've been told, what has happened, and my own experience in the world. Feel free to disagree, as you do. I won't attempt to belittle either of your opinions.

I ask though, how much of the reports from Ubi are stories, or "little scenarios"?

It makes absolutely no sense that Ubi is sitting on their hands doing nothing about it, this is costing them money that goes to supporting RS and being able to afford the licensing in the first place. If they can't afford to license songs then RS is dead in the water.

If Ubi is working so hard on getting this fixed, why has it not been taken care of in two years? They've shown it's possible. They fixed some songs. Why not all of them?

I don't think it is costing them money. I think they are making money on RS1 sales.

toymachinesh
01-13-2015, 04:03 PM
I'd think they would make more money having the 140+ downloads available to customers without an additional $29.99 purchase

Kynlore
01-13-2015, 04:04 PM
They are getting both.

PTrash13
01-13-2015, 05:08 PM

I'm just curious. Why wouldn't you buy it if it was on sale? For $17.95 you get the entire RS1 catalog (minus the couple of songs the artist didn't want transferred) into RS2014 and you can still play the songs that didn't transfer with RS1? RS1 was a fun game and still has a lot to offer.

The_Working_Man
01-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Hehe, why would they grant credit? Both Ubi and Steam are making extra money on the people that give up waiting and purchase the original game in order to buy the DLC.

Heh, I said "should" not "would". The fact that they haven't anything done to make this right for their customers after whatever efforts they might have made with Steam have obviously failed, is why they still stink in all this.

I get that it takes time to fix things, and I feel like that's what's happening with the current SCEE issues. Dan tells us they are following up and getting a response and formulating a plan, and I believe that they are. But at some point, after things have broken down and no further progress is being made and the people who believed in you are still left hanging, it's time to 'fess up and say "we're not going to be able to fix this the way we'd like too, but we appreciate your patience and we care about you, so here's what we're prepared to do...."

SquirrellyNinja
01-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Sure it's a story, sure it's speculation, and sure, it's my opinion. All of which I formed based on what I've been told, what has happened, and my own experience in the world. Feel free to disagree, as you do. I won't attempt to belittle either of your opinions.

I ask though, how much of the reports from Ubi are stories, or "little scenarios"?

If Ubi is working so hard on getting this fixed, why has it not been taken care of in two years? They've shown it's possible. They fixed some songs. Why not all of them?

I don't think it is costing them money. I think they are making money on RS1 sales.

Bolded part is one of the things we include when we correspond with Steam. However, Steam handles a lot more than just Rocksmith and let alone every other Ubi game on Steam. I have no idea why they don't prioritize or finish amending all of the RS1 DLC.

The_Working_Man
01-13-2015, 11:52 PM
They've been on Steam's back about this since day one and Steam has done little to nothing to fix it.

And you don't know that they haven't....

Yeah, we do.

I have no idea why they don't prioritize or finish amending all of the RS1 DLC.

SquirrellyNinja
01-13-2015, 11:54 PM
Yeah, we do.

My sentence in no way implies that we haven't been in touch with them and bugging them about it. We don't have a good reason why all the RS1 DLC hasn't been changed. When we ask we don't get a reason or it's deferred.

The_Working_Man
01-14-2015, 12:06 AM
Firstly, thanks for chiming in on this issue Squirrelly . I'm pretty sure this is the first time in a year that I've seen someone from UbiSoft comment on this other than to say it's a Steam problem and they're working on it.

Can you expand on this issue from your perspective and the follow up that's being done to get this resolved? From your second comment it still sounds to me like you ask a question and they don't answer and that's the end of it. I don't want to put words in your mouth but honestly that still doesn't seem like very effective follow-up or problem solving.

What about the thought that Steam's delivery limitations should have been vetted by UbiSoft and that Ubi has some responsibility to their customers here? Do you really all feel that Steam should be obliged to make these changes their existing system in order to fulfill Ubi's product advertising?

Kynlore
01-14-2015, 01:09 AM
My sentence in no way implies that we haven't been in touch with them and bugging them about it. We don't have a good reason why all the RS1 DLC hasn't been changed. When we ask we don't get a reason or it's deferred.

Thank you for validating my concern, but after two years why is that ok with you (Ubi)? After two years, you have accepted no response as an answer.

Why is this not escalated? Why aren't Directors, Vice Presidents, Operation Officers, and Presidents not involved to ensure this taken care of?

C.Linton
01-14-2015, 01:38 AM
They are getting both.

Not necessarily. People could buying the game for the 30 bucks and then NOT buy the DLC because they can't afford it right now. Profits delayed are profits denied. Toy's right. Ubi stands to make more money from people buying all that DLC than having to buy the game and much less DLC.

Kynlore
01-14-2015, 02:53 AM
Not necessarily. People could buying the game for the 30 bucks and then NOT buy the DLC because they can't afford it right now. Profits delayed are profits denied. Toy's right. Ubi stands to make more money from people buying all that DLC than having to buy the game and much less DLC.

I disagree with the limited income premise, but I'll concede the point. It turns out it's complacency that is the problem.

Enbolition
01-14-2015, 06:00 AM
I'm just curious. Why wouldn't you buy it if it was on sale? For $17.95 you get the entire RS1 catalog (minus the couple of songs the artist didn't want transferred) into RS2014 and you can still play the songs that didn't transfer with RS1? RS1 was a fun game and still has a lot to offer.

I don't think it's fair that I have RS1 for PS3, and am unable to buy the DLCs for 2014 because steam is too lazy to do their job :S

Thank you for replying! As The Working Man said, why has this no response or no legitimate reason response been accepted as a valid closer? I'm not sure if you particularly have much of a say in this matter but certainly more than we do, we've been complaining about it for 2 years as has been said so clearly it's not a priority in either business' book. Otherwise Ubi wouldn't be taking this Shrug off from steam like it's no big deal.

darkdrakon549
01-14-2015, 08:00 AM
don't feel bad I have RS1 and 2014 and can't get the disk import tool because I bought RS1 on line and have no disk it's just steam

toymachinesh
01-14-2015, 08:02 AM
don't feel bad I have RS1 and 2014 and can't get the disk import tool because I bought RS1 on line and have no disk it's just steam

You don't need the disc...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221680/

it's right there, buy it.

audioadren1971
01-14-2015, 06:17 PM
You don't need the disc...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221680/

it's right there, buy it.

Yup, Disk Import Tool is just a name.

Could have been named something else to make it more clear.

I have the original disk version of Rocksmith 1, I have only ever used the disk once for the first install a long time ago way before Rocksmith 2014, and never used it again.

Enbolition
01-16-2015, 02:40 AM
"Hello Corey,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

The songs you are referring are downloadable content for the original Rocksmith game.

Unfortunately, Steam does not control which songs are available for which version of Rocksmith; that is handled by the developer/publisher."

Hah!

The_Working_Man
01-16-2015, 05:36 AM
The problem is that this is apparently the first instance of a software developer attempting to make the same dlc compatible and available for multiple games. Steam's system is not capable of having 2 title designations assigned to the dlc, so it's either one or the other. The customer support rep is saying that the publisher determines what title goes in the title designation field -- it's not set by Steam, nor would they change it without the publisher saying so.

As discussed above, this problem was overlooked by UbiSoft prior to launch and only discovered when their customers started trying to get songs.

JakeSeattleX19
01-16-2015, 12:52 PM
What other companies in the industry are doing is put an in house liaison. For instance, microsoft has many other companies working inside their walls or nearby the headquarters. When an issue arises with a product they physically work with them and report back to their corporate headquarters the progress. One reason your starting to see more transparency with Xbox live across xbox, windows and phone platforms. With steam headquarters being just north of microsoft it might be worth it to talk to ubisoft and other developers about a satellite office.

After all, even when a developer calls to resolve an issue it's still just a phone call. But a meeting with corporate puts a fire under the people that make the change. Sony, however may be a different story, especially eu.