PDA

View Full Version : Small gameplay tips from the community to AC:U

topeira1980
01-12-2015, 01:11 PM
I just figured maybe ppl here would like to share some tips about how to play ACU better. tips that the tutorials and tips withing the game don't explain or dont explain well.

for the sake of the discussion i made some short cuts to common words:

light attack - LA
heavy attack - HA
parry - P
perfect parry - PP
dodge - D
Stagger strike - SS
Heavy enemies (enemies with a spear or an axe) - HE
lite enemies (enemies with 1 handed swords) - LE
seekers - the names of the lite enemies with a top hat that throw stun bombs
officers - the names of the higher ranked guards with the helmets who can do HAs

FRU - free running up
FRD - free running down
FRN - free running neutral, no UP nor down buttons are pressed

i will start:

COMBAT

1) arno can only chain 3 LAs in a row. after every 3 LAs he will pause, allowing faster enemies to react and attack. if arno has a slow weapon than you will likely have to P after you pause after these 3 LAs.

2) enemies over level 2 will start to parry. most LE will P twice then try and attack between arno's secondd attack and third.

3) if you dont or wont or cant use the SS to open the enemy up to prevent him from parrying than you can manually pause between attacks. instead of doing LA, LA, LA, forced pause - you can do LA, manual pause, LA, LA, LA. this way the enemy will parry the first LA but might not parry the second, after the pause, but even if he does - he will be hit the second AND third time. it's not fail proof but if you want to constantly be attacking instead of using SS than making a slight pause between attacks can help getting more attack onto the enemy before he reacts. it takes some practice.

4) you can chain LA LA SS, LA LA SS to basically stun lock any LE. you can chain LA HA LA HA LA HA to stun lock any enemy in the game.

5) seekers P your first two LA but PP the third, so either pause, stagger or heavy attack the third attack. if an enemy PP you than you can roll between the parry and the following punch so you can finish your roll BEFORE that enemy hits you right after and PP him.

6) sometimes its better to do a SS to an enemy you just PP and not attack him so he stays on the ground and you can attack other enemies.

7) you can aim the gun by holding the QUICK FIRE button AND the free running button at the same time. release the free run button to fire. especially helpful when behind cover and you want to get a head shot on a moving target.

8) enemies can be killed with a hidden blade only if they are not aware of arno. if you smoke a group of enemies before they become aware of you than you can probably stealth kill them with the HB before they draw their weapon. max i could kill before the smoke dispersed was 4 stealth kills inside a smoke cloud.

9) only god knows what the stun bombs are for.... (it seems like they are a worse version of the smoke bombs and have no advantage over smoke).

10) if the enemies health is low than you can hold the attack button (even if you didnt unlock the HA) and kill them immediately with a finisher, thus skiping their phase where they just stagger in place before falling down. they also cant defend themselves against such a kill. i think it's called a "signature kill".

NAVIGATION -

1) unlike previous AC games its best to constantly change FRU and FRD. like if you climb a wall over 7 feet tall than press FRU and as you get to its top change to FRD. it's not like in older ACs where you hold the free running button and just go and whatever happens happens. now you have control.

2) to get into windows i HOLD left trigger while i navigate towards the window. no need to hold the free run button at all.

3) something that only started working for me after the 4th patch is pushing forward while in cover AND the cover button (the A button) will make arno leave cover by moving forward. dont know why it didnt work before the patch so i didnt think it was possible for quit some time.

i'd love to hear more from you guys.
maybe we all learn something new, even if the game has been out for a while.

Altair1789
01-12-2015, 08:55 PM
This isn't really a tip for controls, but if you want to improve at fighting, you can find a place dense with 5 star guards and use a French Cavalry Sabre (the weakest sword) and just fight them. It's really fun and helpful if you're missing your parries

topeira1980
01-13-2015, 10:11 AM
This isn't really a tip for controls, but if you want to improve at fighting, you can find a place dense with 5 star guards and use a French Cavalry Sabre (the weakest sword) and just fight them. It's really fun and helpful if you're missing your parries

i think the best place to practice combat is either near red chests or at the south west part of the map, in the recruitment base where there are a lot of guards and officers.
i love fighting officers. my favorite enemy type.