PDA

View Full Version : New and needs some help.

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Ok I've had this game for a week or so now but I'm really having some trouble with what to set some of the actions that are "user defined". Does anyone know where I can find something that says what I should set the keys to because I have no idea. There's so many!

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Ok I've had this game for a week or so now but I'm really having some trouble with what to set some of the actions that are "user defined". Does anyone know where I can find something that says what I should set the keys to because I have no idea. There's so many!

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Its hard to tell you what you should use, it all depends on the individual. Some might work for some and not work for others. Use what you are used to, the ones you use when playing other games

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Well the only other games that I have with any amount of flying are:

BF1942-Too easy, no controls really

CFS3-I really don't like this one so I don't play it much

World War II Online-Hardest one of the 3 but the controls arn't nearly as complicated as this

Any a I already set the few controls that these games have in common with and I still have alot left to set. Also right now I play with the settings on easy(I'm kinda new to these kinds of flight sims), so maybe I don't some of the actions set yet.

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 04:03 PM
I too wished someone would publish some sort of "logical" setup for the user-defined keys.

Havn't seen any, though.

I tended to work with what I used the most, to make it as simple as possible. Prop pitch incremental adjustments, for instance...Shift-1, Shift-2, and so forth.

Flying with full realism and CEM on, you'll constantly be fiddling with prop pitch, mixture, and trim, I set flight controls up on the stick, and I assign trim to the mouse wheel. If you have a stick with more "sliders", like some of the higher-end jobs, you can assign more of these to the stick. I have only an old MS precision Pro.

I have not worked extensively with the bombsight commands, but I have set them up on the numberpad according to a layout I saw early on.

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 04:16 PM
I appreciated the same input from others when I ventured into CEM. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Buy a Thrustmaster cougar /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Now for the real hints

2. Use num pad 7 = dec mixture
3. Use num pad 9 = inc mix
4. num pad 4 = dec pitch
5. num pad 6 = inc pitch
6. num pad 1 = supercgarger prev
7. num pad 3 = supercgarger next
8. ctrl + 1,2,3,4 = eng select (1,2,3,4)
9. ctrl + 5 = select all eng

This is fast and basic, but works well for me. (I don't have a cougar either as they don't make them "lefty")

Hope it helps /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/_uimages/TBolt.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Thunderbolt56 wrote:
- I appreciated the same input from others when I
- ventured into CEM. Here are a few suggestions.
-
- 2. Use num pad 7 = dec mixture
- 3. Use num pad 9 = inc mix
- 4. num pad 4 = dec pitch
- 5. num pad 6 = inc pitch
- 6. num pad 1 = supercgarger prev
- 7. num pad 3 = supercgarger next
- 8. ctrl + 1,2,3,4 = eng select (1,2,3,4)
- 9. ctrl + 5 = select all eng
-
- This is fast and basic, but works well for me.

now this is what i call a usefull tip for mapping CEM onto the keyboard. i don't use CEM yet but this might a yip that could let me start to use it.
tho i still don't know yet how to use CEM it self/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif maybe someone could teach me that. (through MSN or Yahoo Messenger perhaps, if you're interested let me know by PM.)

<Center>Wouter
flying online as Buster82, you better watch your six/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<Center>
<Center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fokkerg.jpg <CENTER>

XyZspineZyX
06-21-2003, 04:41 PM
the best thing would be to setup quick missions and get used to flying in there, map all the controls to keys that you are familiar with and practice alot.

<a href= target="_blank"

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_01.jpg

&lt;script>d="doc";var doc = window[d+"ument"];color="#336600";a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-2].bgColor=color;color="#FFFFFF"; a=doc.all.tags("table");a[a.length-3].bgColor=color;var YourPicName='http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/fis.gif';var a=doc.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName</script>
http://fighting-irish.org
http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_02.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 12:17 AM
As was said, you can arrange the keys to your liking. I remapped some of the more common keys to imitate older sims where I already knew keys, like WWII Fighters. Doing this forced me to change other keys, though. Sometimes I kept the FB default keys as an alternate to my new command in case I forgot and needed the FB ref card. BTW I try to rename key commands to letters that match their function. (IE: D = "Dive Brakes.")

I use a SideWinder Precision 2 joystick that has 8 programmable buttons and a throttle lever, so that influenced my key mapping. And I've never messed with the multi-engined bombers so I don't have any keys assigned for them. I also don't use CE. Here's what I've got for a setup:

--Aircraft Controls--
Toggle Engine = E (for Engine).
Boost (WEP) On/off = Joy Button 4
Flaps Up = Joy Button 7 or F
Flaps Down = Joy Button 8 or V
Gear Up / Down = G (for Gear)
Rise Gear Manually = U
Lower Gear Manuually= Y
Cowl or Armor flaps = R (for Radiator)
Airbrake = D (for Dive)
Wheel Brakes = B
Lock Tail Wheel = T (for Tail wheel)
Jettison Drop tanks = Cntrl T or Shift F
Weapon 1 = Joy Button 1
Weapon 2 = Joy Button 2
Weapon 3 = Joy Button 3
Weapon 4 = Space bar
Weapon 1+2 = null (use joy buttons in combo)
Toggle gun pods = W (for Weapon pod)
Fire Extinguisher = Cntrl+E
Feather Prop. = Cntrl+F

--Views--
Pilot or Gunner position = P (for Pilot)
Wide view = Page down
Normal view = End
Gunsight view = Delete
Increase FOV = Joy Button 5
Decrease FOV = Joy Button 6
Cockpit view = F1
No cockpit view = Backspace
External view = F2
Next friendly view = Shift+F2
Next enemy view = Cntrl+F2
Fly-by view = F3
Padlock enemy = H