PDA

View Full Version : Carrier catapults?

VF-3Thunderboy
06-22-2004, 06:06 PM
From mid-war on, maybe earlier, the US started using catapults on Carriers. Hopefully this will be modeled in, as some of the heavy loaded planes(Corsair) would have a hard time taking off fully loaded. Id also like to see you taxi over to it, then you get the "flag" if they did that, then you GO when the thing carrier deck rolls upward!!

VF-3Thunderboy
06-22-2004, 06:06 PM
From mid-war on, maybe earlier, the US started using catapults on Carriers. Hopefully this will be modeled in, as some of the heavy loaded planes(Corsair) would have a hard time taking off fully loaded. Id also like to see you taxi over to it, then you get the "flag" if they did that, then you GO when the thing carrier deck rolls upward!!

CPS_Shadow
06-22-2004, 07:10 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=656106933

luthier1: "Not sure yet, but probably no"

Pretty much we are told we are getting FB minus the FB Planes, Maps and Objects

Plus New Pacific Planes, Maps and Objects.

The only "new" things other than the Planes, Maps and Objects that I've heard to be "in" so far is:

Ability to take off and land from carriers.
Ability to open the cockpit.
Ability to raise up in the seat a bit.
Improved Water Graphics

Their have been tons of requests for other features like Catapults, LSOs, Recons, Rescue, Deck Crews, Carrier Management etc. etc. etc. so far I see no evidence that any of these things are being worked on. Nor were they ever promoted to be part of the game.

BTW if I missed something that is known to be added please let me know.

Many if not most of the items above are unlikely to be in the game. However there is always the chance for a few surprises and we can always hope and continue to suggest the things we'd like to see. Just don't want people to be too bummed out if we don't get them.

Problems and limitations of the FB engine will continue to exist. For instance we've been told that "Muzzle Flashes" are too worked into the game code to be repaired so it is unlikely that we will see things like that change.

The one thing that I can see that I really do hope is changed is the ability to have a clean stall. Currently in FB when you stall you will always dip a wing. From reading the stuff on landing on a Carrier (I've never done it) it really sounds like we need to be able to do a clean stall.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~word/My6.jpg

|CoB|_Spectre
06-23-2004, 03:54 AM
I know of no widespread use of catapults on USN carriers in WWII. Recip-powered aircraft had sufficient power and comparatively lower flying speeds that enabled them to operate off "flattops" sans catapult. Even Jimmy Doolittle's B-25s fairly leaped off the deck, if you've seen footage, and they didn't have much of a running start nor catapult. Catapult launches were much more commonplace for spotter aircraft operating from battleships, cruisers and the like. The arrival of jets, with their higher airspeed requirements and longer turbine "spool-up" times necessitated catapults. Up until the USN retired the C-1 "COD" in the late '80s, they were the last carrier-based aircraft that could operate without need of catapult launch to my knowledge. Of course they were radial engined aircraft. Having grownup close to NAS Pensacola, my youthful memories of overhead sounds were divided between jets and radial engine trainers. My head still involuntarily cranes skyward anytime I hear the unmistakeable sound of a radial engine.

Fliger747
06-23-2004, 06:11 AM
The biggest drawback to Cat use was the speed of launch, which was slower than deck roll takeoff for a big strike. However they were used, especially on the CVL's and CVE's for heavily loaded strike aircraft. As the aircraft compliment was not as large, this was not so much of a drawback and the CVE's with their reduced max speed sometimes had not so much option if the wind over the deck was not as desired.