PDA

View Full Version : Are there any beta tests in Ubisoft games?

VoldR
01-12-2015, 03:02 AM
When I was watching a video about video game industry the part about testers to try and break the game isbone such department. So I was wondering does ubisoft do that?

If yes, is it only within the department or people throughout the world with lower end pcs part of the tryouts.
I hope its not just within the company. Otherwise ofcourse if it works for the programmer's pc it'll work for the rest of Ubi's pcs.

So far the only company in aware of that have beta testing is from Blizzard.
And had the opportunity to participate in one. I think it was Diablo III.

I didn't even need to sign up for it and they let me try it out before the launch.
Wished could have tried some AC games first, people could help report all kinds of bugs before its release.

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 04:00 AM
The trouble is that news would leak out....

All companies have Q&A and the devs test as they go but once released they have a million sneaky people (us gamers ;) )who will try things nobody would have tried during testing and that's probably the quickest way. Even Nvidia throw out a beta driver every 2 weeks because they know 1,000,000 will find the problems quicker in an hour, than 50 testers in a year.

VoldR
01-12-2015, 04:04 AM
Worry about leak should be the least for them.
:)

I'd be more concern of perfecting their own games for sale then worry who gets hold of story info.

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 04:49 AM
Well they have a global team with studios scattered around the world. All the game have similar basics through all ubi titles such as AC, far cry, tomb raider and watch dogs... places to climb for sync or unlock radio towers etc, hiding, creeping, running slides, shooting from hiding places, air assassinate or death from above, ledge assassinate or death from below, swimming, shooting etc... very little changes so they never expect too many problems. Maybe this new engine threw up a few problems but when you make a big leap you sometimes get big problems but we would have no progress if we didn't take risks.

There are many reasons the game has bugs, and the release date is the main reason but I still play and ignore any little problems.

VoldR
01-12-2015, 05:53 AM
No one is saying don't make a leap, but should still look before u do it.

Have the fans "public" help out by beta testing in their own PC specs.
To see if the common folks can take the leap with them.

If the actual reason is fear of leaks, man that's a true shame. That's old fear, now adays as far as I know they want to help make their fav games better.

Seriously, pls broaden my understanding, what exactly can these "leaks" be bad to them?
I would like to understand their fears.

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 06:20 AM
Well... and I'm only guessing here.... some companies now have review embargoes so nobody can release info on a game before it is released for many reasons....

For instance... if you have played AC3 Then you remember the shock finding out Haytham is a templar.... or in previous games, lucy being killed

that info might stop some people playing if they knew before hand.

Also Specs.... the companies now run hand in hand with Nvidia or AMD and do not want the specs released too early as it may stop pre-orders... personally I would like a hint earlier about the specs... even if it was a little leak saying the amount of interiors, exteriors and NPC's in the game combined with a lack of loading screens or animations entering/ exiting a building means the spec will be very high for this game... so people could start saving for upgrades but companies like to keep that quiet.

Plus you never know what another company might want to take and use in their own game... I'm sure industrial espionage exists even in the gaming world.

And as I said before even if you had 500 beta testers it would take a year to find all the things we gamers find in a week plus the beta testers would only get partially completed sections of the game and new things get changed almost daily.....

Finally.... regardless of the beta testers input... Suppose they all said it needs another 3 months till it is released but the board of directors, the partners at xbox, sony and nvidia are all demanding a release timed for the christmas build up and sales..... who do you think will win... not the beta testers.

The game is... quite frankly the biggest and complex game I've seen in 30 years of gaming... I suspect that maybe the story line was shortened and a lot of things were hurried to meet the release deadline. It has bugs and glitches that they are working on... the club competition is a great idea but needs work and better scoring but it is a good game and future games built on this will be awesome if they live up to the potential. :D

VoldR
01-12-2015, 06:37 AM
Well... and I'm only guessing here.... some companies now have review embargoes so nobody can release info on a game before it is released for many reasons....

For instance... if you have played AC3 Then you remember the shock finding out Haytham is a templar.... or in previous games, lucy being killed

that info might stop some people playing if they knew before hand.

Also Specs.... the companies now run hand in hand with Nvidia or AMD and do not want the specs released too early as it may stop pre-orders... personally I would like a hint earlier about the specs... even if it was a little leak saying the amount of interiors, exteriors and NPC's in the game combined with a lack of loading screens or animations entering/ exiting a building means the spec will be very high for this game... so people could start saving for upgrades but companies like to keep that quiet.

Plus you never know what another company might want to take and use in their own game... I'm sure industrial espionage exists even in the gaming world.

Hmm...

Only got time to reply a few.
1. Spoilers?
Well like u said later, beta testers got limited to what they can see. Hence no need to know someone is a templar or someone is going to die.

There's a lot of time between when we find out u know who is a templar, more then enough gameplay time to find some bugs.

2. The most important bug of all despite future changes in the game is wether or not the game runs in the first place. :)

3. Specs imho is important. Let them know they cant play yet so they can save the hundreds $ to buy better specs hence buy their product with a smile.

4. Espionage
Isn't that what copyright and all is for?
Also the more public its made known is theirs, the less other companys should be able to steal... The more secret they keep who knows who is telling the truth

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 06:51 AM
What if the bugs existed in the parts not released to the beta testers ? or appeared after something was changed near the release date ?

In the end the deadline rules totally.. any beta testing reports would be pointless without the time to do it. The devs test as they go along and no doubt they said not yet but were over ruled plus if you look at this forum everyone has an opinion of how they personally want an assassins creed game to suit them and Ubi doesn't need another 500 people saying change this and that and put it back how it was....

we do not know they may actually have beta testers but most forum members want their input heard.

It's difficult to say we thought of something in a game first, if another company releases a similar game 3 months earlier :D

The game does run on thousands of PC's on a handful it has a crash or a problem with the bellec fight but why this happens on 1 in a thousand doesn't make it specifically a game problem....

The odd npc moving strangely or stuck in a tree i can ignore... it doesn't affect my gameplay... occasional mission problems that need a restart I can ignore and a few dots of light or a freeze once an hour are all nothing of consequence...

I've never played a AAA title that didn't have any bugs and I don't know if they are beta tested either....

Maybe someone from Ubi will tell you if they beta test, but I assume the devs play sections to make sure they join together ok and do not exceed the cpu or gpu requirements ??

In fact I remember someone posting a clip of a studio and on the pc you could see unity being tested with a lot of information in one corner... Not that we could get much from it... :D

VoldR
01-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Just sad that my first gift from my wife that isn't clothes or accessories, and its something I enjoyed alot doing and its full of bugs...

Pains to think the price she put in something she has no interest in. Only store I think she might get in, is know to charge high.

She took a leap too and sadly I can barely tell her that its not working... Only can delay as she knows I'm going through all the past AC games first. Hopefully by then a cure will be found.

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 07:29 AM
well my friend I hope you get it.

The game deserves to be played by everyone who has bought it and I know what you mean about the wife.

I said to my wife.... look at those idiots waiting outside the game shop to buy call of duty MW2.... she thought I was giving her a hint and she paid 40 plus 15 for a COD MW2 book.... the worst pc game in the world the campaign took 3 hours and I never played it again.... but for months I had to pretend it was great :(

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 07:31 AM
I tend to buy from cdkeys and paid half price... I never pay retail.

VoldR
01-12-2015, 07:42 AM
I tend to buy from cdkeys and paid half price... I never pay retail.

I actually like MW series, only CoD I've followed actually. Never bothered with the rest.
I usually get on steam or if store hot something steam doesn't or if I don't want to wait a long time downloading the game.

So far only three games I bothered with a box edition...
Deus Ex was suppose to be my first collector but they run out and gave me Aug ed. (no box) At standard price, Tomb raider, only TR I've played, AC3 & finally Splinter Cell Blacklist.
May be my last.

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 07:46 AM
Deus Ex or Deus Ex human revolution.... I've played over 300 hours DXHR .... if you like that... get Vampire the masquerade bloodlines.... awesome and cheap.

Also Far cry 3 is my fav game again it is like 10 euros sorry $16 AUS

VoldR
01-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Human Revolution, first play through I've done and got the pacifist and no Aug achievement first round.

I've played bloodline, great but never could get myself to finish it. Wish got another game like that.
Haven't touch any farcry, based on what I saw. Not my style. The story I mean, part 4 is interesting endings

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Farcry 3 is just Assassin's creed in modern day... instead of climbing churches for synchronisation points you climb radio towers. You craft holsters, pouches and wallets from animals (like AC3) you have side missions, a main mission, air assassination is death from above or double death from above, ledge assassination is death from below... the exploration and the collectibles are like AC3 trinkets but the best of all.... the characters are incredible.... from Buck the australian, Vaas the psycho, Sam the american german.... all absolutely brilliant.... on steam around $25 AUD on ebay about 17 AUD... check out some you tube videos... taking camps is like taking forts in AC

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 08:03 AM
I try to take everyone in a camp undetected with just a knife.. incredible game

VoldR
01-12-2015, 08:10 AM
I like the gameplay features, its the story that lost me.

Too mojoish, how a teenager on a trip suddenly become a bad *** killer.
At least part 4 make it as such it is in his blood but love the fact that there's a secret ending.

And end it like a normal fella. :)

strigoi1958
01-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Well it's a journey and you learn your killing skills as you go along using the xp :D I've completed 4 but I didn't wait and missed the secret bit :confused: but it is worth a replay so next time will be great... but gameplay it is almost as good as 3 but less characters of any note.

Also I see you took the hardest option first in DXHR I left pacifist till last ;)

seville57
01-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Buyin a PC game from ubisoft is like goin on a blinde date with a girl, you don't know what you get.