PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Unity's difficulty system

dargor5
01-11-2015, 05:26 PM
I've been doing some missions that are way out of my league, I try to make the game as challenging as possible so I'm still wearing Arno's generic stuff no health upgrades, and beginner's sword. What I found is that while in combat Arno seems to ignore my pressing the Parry button, he just stands there, some times does it others don't so I die in a frustrating way.

I went ahead and bought the snake hilted sword (one of the top swords) and voila, Arno is more responsive at parrying and slices people ala Connor, I even see him using the hidden blade in combat o.O.

Is this the way Ubi meant it to be? Is it a bug?. Cause the fact that I have a lower weapon should not make the character less responsive to command just to make the game harder, is just frustrating to be pressing a button and watch your character do nothing.

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 05:31 PM
I just went to Saint Marcel (like 5 minutes ago) and noticed the exact same thing. I died because Arno didn't want to parry attacks and I used the first sword too. So this time, stats actually DO affect gameplay. I'm pretty sure it's meant to be this way now, that's how the parry stats affect your combat. It's maybe not the best way to just make Arno more unresponsive when carrying an inferior weapon, but at least it makes a difference.

I didn't see the thing with the hidden blade though, that's most likely a bug.

dargor5
01-11-2015, 05:47 PM
I didn't see the thing with the hidden blade though, that's most likely a bug.

Unlikely as the animation is in accordance with the sword play and it looks great, it just did not show up ever when I was with the first sword.

If it is meant to be this way then good, at least I understand it now and doesn't make for frustrating gameplay, makes sense in an RPG kinda way

Bigodon
01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
ac unity have weird input lag during battles and some time on parkour, unfortunately they didn't fixed this
and they will not, you should get used with that

the hidden blade combat was nerfed in this ac, you still can kill people during combat when your weapon is hold and throw smoke
but cannot blade fight like on previously ac

wvstolzing
01-11-2015, 06:26 PM
The *complete* inability to parry can't be a matter of low stats; it's a responsiveness problem.

For me, he'd stop responding to any of the buttons, especially after throwing a smoke bomb; and he'd promptly get skewered to death -- even when I was carrying top-tier weapons.

topeira1980
01-11-2015, 06:30 PM
i seriously doubt the responsiveness of the parry has anything to do with the weapon. its just a bug and i bet it will happen with good weapons as well.

i think the PARRY stat only means how big your parry window is when being attacked by high level enemies. with lesser weapons and fighting enemies level 5 its a bit harder to get perfect parries.
at least that's what i think it is. with high level weapons i find it near impossible to NOT get perfect parries.

i wish this stat was more radical. getting perfect parries with weapons level 3 and above is super ultra easy. i just wish it was harder.
in fact the speed, range and parry stats barely mean anything, as far as i can tell.

it looks like the only differences in difficulty are the damage the enemies deal (you can actually see their weapons change and since you can carry the same weapons as they do , at least the 1 handed ones, its possible to tell why the damage in increased) and can take.
enemies level 1 and 2 cant parry. enemies level 3, 4 and 5 seem to have the exact same AI behavior.
i wish enemies 4 and 5 would be less predictable, perfect parry you and do more advancedd stuff, but it doesnt seem like it.

in general fighting enemies level 3 with level 3 gear is EXACTLY the same as fighting enemies level 5 with level 5 gear.
that's in general what i noticed.

i dont like how some districts are always easy and others are always hard. i wish the entire game world would progress in it's difficulty so its always approprietly challenging, but if i want missions to be hard at least i can select worse gear.

i uaully use a level 3 1H sword in all my fights. it makes enemies level 1 and 2 easy, enemies level 3 fair and enemies 4 and 5 really hard. that's a balance i kinda like.

dargor5
01-11-2015, 07:22 PM
i seriously doubt the responsiveness of the parry has anything to do with the weapon. its just a bug and i bet it will happen with good weapons as well.

i think the PARRY stat only means how big your parry window is when being attacked by high level enemies. with lesser weapons and fighting enemies level 5 its a bit harder to get perfect parries.
at least that's what i think it is. with high level weapons i find it near impossible to NOT get perfect parries.

i wish this stat was more radical. getting perfect parries with weapons level 3 and above is super ultra easy. i just wish it was harder.
in fact the speed, range and parry stats barely mean anything, as far as i can tell.

it looks like the only differences in difficulty are the damage the enemies deal (you can actually see their weapons change and since you can carry the same weapons as they do , at least the 1 handed ones, its possible to tell why the damage in increased) and can take.
enemies level 1 and 2 cant parry. enemies level 3, 4 and 5 seem to have the exact same AI behavior.
i wish enemies 4 and 5 would be less predictable, perfect parry you and do more advancedd stuff, but it doesnt seem like it.

in general fighting enemies level 3 with level 3 gear is EXACTLY the same as fighting enemies level 5 with level 5 gear.
that's in general what i noticed.

i dont like how some districts are always easy and others are always hard. i wish the entire game world would progress in it's difficulty so its always approprietly challenging, but if i want missions to be hard at least i can select worse gear.

i uaully use a level 3 1H sword in all my fights. it makes enemies level 1 and 2 easy, enemies level 3 fair and enemies 4 and 5 really hard. that's a balance i kinda like.

Yes I'm afraid you are right. I recently tried to help some people fight the extremist, no one was attacking me but when I tried to strike nothing happened, Arno just stands there with the sword unsheathed. I guess this is happening because they tried to bring back combat from AC1, but on AC1 most of the time you had to target that enemie you wanted to fight, I think that since there's no targeting here Arno just gets confused on what to do

wvstolzing
01-11-2015, 08:19 PM
I guess this is happening because they tried to bring back combat from AC1, but on AC1 most of the time you had to target that enemie you wanted to fight, I think that since there's no targeting here Arno just gets confused on what to do

I doubt that AC1 has anything to do with it; but the obvious bug is definitely due to *some* kind of confusion, because the character doesn't become *completely* unresponsive (responds to the analog sticks), only to attack/parry buttons.

Layytez
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
The game is still very unresponsive which forces me to play safe because when fighting 2-3 people at the same time I can't parry on time. The parkour is also unresponsive making traversal annoying.

dargor5
01-11-2015, 08:34 PM
The game is still very unresponsive which forces me to play safe because when fighting 2-3 people at the same time I can't parry on time. The parkour is also unresponsive making traversal annoying.

Yes. I find that not only I have to look for enemies but also for places were I don't get either stuck or a bug makes me die in middle of an escape

Jackdaw951
01-11-2015, 08:42 PM
I doubt that AC1 has anything to do with it; but the obvious bug is definitely due to *some* kind of confusion, because the character doesn't become *completely* unresponsive (responds to the analog sticks), only to attack/parry buttons.

Wow. I'm glad I haven't experienced that. I have endured many frustrating moments of general unresponsiveness, but nothing like a complete inability to defend myself. What happens to me is more the fault of the uninterruptible slow animations, such as the assassination of one guard giving several seconds to another to detect me and pull out his sword. Sometimes being behind someone will keep the game from detecting a hostile just beyond the obstacle. That's the only time I've noticed Arno just standing there unresponsive. It happens very infrequently, and the cure is to move it out of there ASAP (to a nearby position where things work as they should).

Being able to take damage and recover quickly from damage are musts in this game. There is no way to prevent all damage. (There should be.) High health + good armor + many meds + many smoke bombs > frustrating deaths.

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 08:44 PM
To be honest I did not have any major issues with the combat system or parkour. Parrying enemy attacks sometimes (like 1 or 2 times so far for me) doesn't work, that's right - but I only noticed that after using low stats weapons so I guess it's really intended to be this way. Other than that no problems with parkour up/down or anything.

The only thing that really sucks is that Arno sometimes 'forgets' he's in combat and then puts back his weapon.

wickywoowoo
01-11-2015, 10:22 PM
I have had no such problems. If I hit parry, he parries, if I hit roll, he rolls. I started my game after the most recent patch so my game save is made after all patches installed.

Could it be game saves started before the patches are the reason for problems? I have had no problems at all with Unity so far. It can't be my console is just better than everyone elses, can it?

wvstolzing
01-11-2015, 11:00 PM
I have had no such problems. If I hit parry, he parries, if I hit roll, he rolls. I started my game after the most recent patch so my game save is made after all patches installed.

Could it be game saves started before the patches are the reason for problems? I have had no problems at all with Unity so far. It can't be my console is just better than everyone elses, can it?

Whether a bug gets 'triggered' or not seems to depend on several variable factors (to hazard a guess -- anything ranging from the current weather, to the number of NPCs on screen, to what equipment you might be carrying); not everyone runs into the exact same problems, since the environment behaves differently for everyone.

I've had a *relatively* bug free run on the PS4; but the issue of not responding to any of the buttons during combat was something I experienced very often.

Jackdaw951
01-11-2015, 11:02 PM
No, I've been playing since Day One. I got my Xbox/Unity bundle on the 2nd of November, and pre-downloaded the game, so it was good to go on the 11th. I've had no major issues with combat before or after the patches. Problems with the hardware wouldn't cause such problems. Only software will. Hardware issues would be much more severe, usually fatal.