PDA

View Full Version : The little things in ACU we love

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 11:12 AM
The forums are a place not only for discussion of AC, but also a good feedback venue for the devs. They can see how their most dedicated fans feel about the brand, what they like/dislike and what they appreciated.

The things we've hated have been made pretty clear:
- Transmedia
- Crap release
- Decent but not amazing story of Arno
- No modern day progression anymore

The things we love have been made fairly clear as well:
- Co-op is generally well received
- Graphics are absolutely stunning
- Sound design is amazing
- Combat, stealth and parkour have generally been seen as improvements for the franchise etc etc

But what about the little things in ACU we love? I feel ACU has a certain charm to it that makes it fun. For example:
- Some of the plays at the Cafe Theatre are actually quite interesting to watch and listen to. Some interesting commentary on the French Revolution can be heard there for you history geeks out there (such as myself)
- You can watch the sunset from Arno's balcony, and you even get an achievement/trophy for it.
- The dialogue between the butler and funds manager in the room for your funds is interesting to listen to.
- The overall colour and design scheme of the HUD I like. While I believe it's way too intrusive and needs to be less noticeable, I really liked the cool blue transparent crystal effect that it had.
- Menu music
- Quality lip syncing.
- When you look at your mementos Arno will sometimes say 'Ahhh, memories' or 'Not sure how I'll explain that one'
- The awesome cloak physics of Arno's gear.
- When Arno has a weapon equipped and you press the attack button he does a nifty little trick with it. It's also different depending on whether you're running or walking.
- Seamlessness. Yes the magic word. Not having a loading screen everytime you enter an interior is an absolute treat. Really does make the experience a lot better.

These changes just add a nice little touch to the game. It's like the icing on top of the cake.

What are your little appreciated gems in ACU? I'll add more to this list

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Yesterday I was walking through a backyard in Versailles and there were some peeps sitting on a bench, drinking wine and making music. Next to them there was a guy stomping wine grapes in a barrel. And next to that there was a woman picking apples from a tree.

That's what I love about AC. Those little things you see when walking through streets. Although the AI is very dull this time, those NPC actions are awesome.

Shahkulu101
01-11-2015, 11:19 AM
I really enjoy the songs in the social clubs, Unity's equivalent to shanties. Nowhere near as good of course, but still found them nice to listen to - especially La Marseille.

Not sure if this is 'little' enough, but I just love the fact you can infiltrate certain places using the catacombs.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Yesterday I was walking through a backyard in Versailles and there were some peeps sitting on a bench, drinking wine and making music. Next to them there was a guy stomping wine grapes in a barrel. And next to that there was a woman picking apples from a tree.

That's what I love about AC. Those little things you see when walking through streets. Although the AI is very dull this time, those NPC actions are awesome.

Absolutely agree. Sometimes I just find myself walking through the streets of Paris and looking at the hundreds of different NPC interactions. Some are arguing, some are being intimate, some are crushing grapes, some are drinking tea at a table, some are juggling balls, some are playing music, some are dancing etc. Just increases the immersion by a lot.

Even though the guard AI is still pretty stupid the NPC interactions this time are a huge improvement over past games

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 12:03 PM
I really enjoy the songs in the social clubs, Unity's equivalent to shanties. Nowhere near as good of course, but still found them nice to listen to - especially La Marseille.

Not sure if this is 'little' enough, but I just love the fact you can infiltrate certain places using the catacombs.

Indeed. I thought it was a nice touch to add. It just gave you that many more options with each mission. With a lot of the assassination missions there are always some secret underground entrance. Just makes them feel more open.

agentpoop
01-11-2015, 12:19 PM
When metal blades clash and the sparks come off from the hit is something I noticed immediately and loved

How sly some of the stealth kills are

The beginning of the game was super cool

Cornik22
01-11-2015, 12:55 PM
- In front of Notre-Dame cathedral there are some guys trying to move a broken cart. If you get close, Arno will try to help them.

- You can assasinate guards inside buildings when hanging near a window (from the side, not from below). I discovered this by accident, and it's kinda interesting because it's not mentioned in the official guide. Also, the animation is awesome!

- I've found lots of unique historical buildings not mentioned in the database, which is quite surprising for me. Some examples include the Bureau de Poste, Banque de France, L'Ecole de Botanique, Saint Germain Prison or Jaques de Molay's tomb under the Temple. I`d love to make a guide and show them to other AC fans interested in this stuff.

LeeroyGearSolid
01-11-2015, 01:34 PM
I hate that the carpet in the Cafe Theatre is flipped over and not straight.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 01:47 PM
- In front of Notre-Dame cathedral there are some guys trying to move a broken cart. If you get close, Arno will try to help them.

- You can assasinate guards inside buildings when hanging near a window (from the side, not from below). I discovered this by accident, and it's kinda interesting because it's not mentioned in the official guide. Also, the animation is awesome!

- I've found lots of unique historical buildings not mentioned in the database, which is quite surprising for me. Some examples include the Bureau de Poste, Banque de France, L'Ecole de Botanique, Saint Germain Prison or Jaques de Molay's tomb under the Temple. I`d love to make a guide and show them to other AC fans interested in this stuff.

I'll have to look for the cart. Wasn't aware of stuff like this. I love these minor touches to the game.

Just out of curiosity. Do those historical buildings you mentioned have interiors? I loved exploring interiors in Unity. Would love for you to make a video or picture showing the locations of these as well

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 01:54 PM
The cart actually is a social stealth spot for Arno with cool animations like in ACIII when Connor would stop at a market stall and check the fruits.

auditorevita
01-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I hate the story of arno.
Unity was not able to describe the French Revolution.

I hate That the actual UNITY had unlike the E3 UNITY.

I hate unreasonable combat system.

I hate unreasonable Sneaking system.

I hate that arno do not fight with a hidden blade .

I hate that music is not played at the time of free roam.

I like graphics.

I like nimble free-running.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 02:15 PM
The cart actually is a social stealth spot for Arno with cool animations like in ACIII when Connor would stop at a market stall and check the fruits.

Ahh yes I remember those.

I remember sitting on a fence with some other guys and killing an unsuspecting red-coat and seeing the coolest animation

Also with Edward in AC4 you can crouch next to those drunks on the floor with the last Blackbeard mission

Also when you stood in between two people against a wall. Stuff like that is so cool

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 02:17 PM
I hate the story of arno.
Unity was not able to describe the French Revolution.

I hate That the actual UNITY had unlike the E3 UNITY.

I hate unreasonable combat system.

I hate unreasonable Sneaking system.

I hate that arno do not fight with a hidden blade .

I hate that music is not played at the time of free roam.

Wrong thread amigo

auditorevita
01-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Wrong thread amigo

thank you

HeJePi
01-11-2015, 03:44 PM
I love the dog in ACU ... dark grey / black ... it is always the same all over Paris ... I strongly suspect that all the same dogs are doing the exact same thing at the same moment.

The cats / chickens / goats are also all the same all around Paris :D

... didn't check in Versailles, should same too :rolleyes:

There is a couple trying to repair a chariot in Le Marais / Arsenal district.
When Arno pass by he lift the cart together with the lady while the men try to fix the wheel ...

Cornik22
01-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Just out of curiosity. Do those historical buildings you mentioned have interiors? I loved exploring interiors in Unity. Would love for you to make a video or picture showing the locations of these as well
Most of them no, unfortunately. And I'll try to ;) I could make a map marking the locations

I-Like-Pie45
01-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Elise's leg hair

Bleem7
01-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Well I like the little things that you can do in Cafe Theatre, like look at paintings, lean at the balcony, etc. I know they're not much (like at all ;)), but I guess I'm just a fan of little details like these.

And dem greephics :eek:

Elise's leg hair
lawl when did you see that?

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 05:25 PM
@Bleem: You can also drink tea at Café Théâtre when you go to the bar in the main room (next to the Lady who gives you all the Café missions)

Namikaze_17
01-11-2015, 05:46 PM
The way Arno slightly loses his balance when he jumps on a building...

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-11-2015, 05:49 PM
@Bleem: You can also drink tea at Café Théâtre when you go to the bar in the main room (next to the Lady who gives you all the Café missions)

lol how do you find out all this stuff? Going to need to do this as well!

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Read it somewhere, then tried it myself.

One more thing: By night Arno will warm his hands at the kitchen fireplace at Café Théâtre.

Cornik22
01-11-2015, 06:49 PM
I've noticed all those things before, I love them :o

And look what I've found today, there is a dead horse in the catacombs under Place de la Revolution!

http://i57.tinypic.com/k02iat.jpg

How did it get there, I have no idea

Bleem7
01-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Yeah yeah, I knew the tea thing too, though I think it's coffee, cause y'know... c'est Paris.

Most of these things I found out by accident when I noticed that Arno would start walking by himself either up to a painting or a fireplace, balcony, etc. First I thought it was just some glitch, but one time I let him and... well, was impressed.

Bleem7
01-11-2015, 06:52 PM
I've noticed all those things before, I love them :o

And look what I've found today, there is a dead horse in the catacombs under Place de la Revolution!

http://i57.tinypic.com/k02iat.jpg

How did it get there, I have no idea
And that is very ominous... or just really random. :rolleyes:

Altair1789
01-11-2015, 06:56 PM
I really like heists and the Luxembourg Palace

SixKeys
01-11-2015, 08:53 PM
So, so many things.

-The facial animations continue to blow me away. Not a trace of uncanny valley in the cut scenes or even in Arno's in-game model. His eyes are especially life-like. Not once do you catch him with that dead-eyed, empty stare so typical of video games.

-This is gonna sound really weird, but I also love the realistic sheen of sweat on characters' brows.

-Coffee sends off steam. So do pipes when you see an NPC smoking.

-Objects aren't glued to their environments. I was running from the cops, Arno jumped on a café table and the coffee cups actually went flying in all directions. I had to stop and marvel at that in the middle of the chase. :p

-NPCs recognizing and greeting me as I walk past.

-The fabrics in this game, man. Not just the realistic way the clothes look and move, but the way you can tell just by looking at a bedsheet what fabric it's made of. If it's a fancy bed, it usually has golden embroidery and it glistens just the way it should when the sun hits it.

-Arno's little comments and special animations in the Café Theatre.

-NPCs routines and dialogues actually having character. There are whole stories behind some of the servants at the Café Theatre. The finance manager is a bit of a classist snob but I think he also has a crush on one of the servant girls.

-All the thousands of NPC animations. People crushing grapes, dragging nobles down the street, burning flags, carrying stolen items etc.

-I've noticed that throwing a money pouch on the ground makes it about 50% more likely that a pickpocket will spawn in the crowd of people, which is a really neat, realistic detail.

-Arno actually talking to people in Paris stories. It's not always just "go here, press button to accept task from random stranger like a robot". Sometimes he'll say things like "what's in it for me?" or "fear not, madam, I will get to the root of this".

-If snipers spot you, they will continue to stare like a hawk in the direction where you were last spotted. Sometimes this can be used to your advantage as you can pop up on one side of the restricted area, quickly disappear and sneak behind the snipers while they're still looking in the wrong direction.

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 09:22 PM
-Objects aren't glued to their environments. I was running from the cops, Arno jumped on a café table and the coffee cups actually went flying in all directions. I had to stop and marvel at that in the middle of the chase. :p
Yeah, today I had a fight next to a market stall. People starting running and all the apples fell off the counter. That was amazing.

-NPCs routines and dialogues actually having character. There are whole stories behind some of the servants at the Café Theatre. The finance manager is a bit of a classist snob but I think he also has a crush on one of the servant girls.
Every time I go there to get my money from the piggybank I notice their strange conversations. Something like 'Doing overtime again?' lol

-All the thousands of NPC animations. People crushing grapes, dragging nobles down the street, burning flags, carrying stolen items etc.
The best NPCs are the ones carrying crosses from churches, that looks so funny haha. If you bump into them, they look so confused. And the women with their jetpack-coffee tanks on their backs.

GoldenBoy9999
01-11-2015, 09:30 PM
-The cloth physics of multiple things in the game

-The new way that Arno climbs or jumps on something. It looks more realistic.

-The way that light reflects off of things.

Alphacos007
01-11-2015, 10:16 PM
I hate that the carpet in the Cafe Theatre is flipped over and not straight.

LOL, this also bothers me SO much haha

I really love the animations, not just arno's but everyone's, they're just beautiful, I dare say the best ones I've seen in any games.

wickywoowoo
01-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Not someone who is mega obsessed with graphics but the visuals in this game are the most impressive I've ever seen in a game. I am not a PC gamer who maxes out stuff, I am a Sony console guy but this game is crazy. When you are playing an intense bit, you do not really notice and you could mistake it as not being much better than Rogue but when you are just cruising about collecting stuff and you get skylines and long distance views, it's just ridiculously massive and gorgeous.

If this is Ubisoft's first attempt at a true next gen AC game (first major next gen only release at all from them really since Watch Dogs and Far Cry were still on last gen) then the future from them is just sick to imagine.

Altair1789
01-11-2015, 10:46 PM
For all my complaining, there's actually a lot about this game that I love. It might have sounded like it, but I don't mean to say this game is 100% garbage just because the story wasn't as great as I expected, because looking at all this game has accomplished makes me fine with things like using the companion app. I don't think I'll ever like the companion app, but when they get Initiates working as intended, I'll love it again

Jackdaw951
01-11-2015, 10:51 PM
- The scope of Paris.
- The quality of most textures, particularly textiles.
- The labor of love evident in some interiors, like Luxembourg.
- The improvements to parkour. Running across rooftops is a joy.
- Syncs and leaps of faith. Not new to ACU, but still never get old.

dargor5
01-11-2015, 11:09 PM
The animation of Arno to watch a play on the Cafe Teathre and sometimes besides plays there's a person making announcements of what has happened and the people react to it (thanks for making those announcements in English)

A funny one is some of the comments from the Extremists, "Don't run away I'm a good guy, good at smashing, good at ripping...

Edit: one another note (and I'm not trolling) this could be the root of many of the glitches in Unity, the complicated animations and actions of every single npc, they are not just talking or standing there like on previous AC. What I think is this was kind of an experiment and the next AC is going to be the best, also if you follow ubi's pattern with AC releases this has always been the case, after a game that the public disliked, a great one comes along

SixKeys
01-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Me in AC games:

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Donkey-Likes-This-Boulder-Its-A-Very-Nice-Boulder-In-Shrek-Gif.gif

aL_____eX
01-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Me in AC games:

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Donkey-Likes-This-Boulder-Its-A-Very-Nice-Boulder-In-Shrek-Gif.gif
Ah, I can't stop laughing. Why you do this to me SixKeys? I can so imagine myself in this situation. :D

Just spent a whole hour and a half only exploring 1/5 of one Paris district. :rolleyes:

D.I.D.
01-12-2015, 12:01 AM
Me in AC games:

That's me as well, except I'm walking on rooftops going, "Uh-oh, wait-wait-wait... setting sun, chimney stacks, HBAO+... forward a bit, rotate camera a bit, sweeeeeeet ambient occlusion". I swear, some of my favourite bits of 'gameplay' are when I successfully walk past light-obscuring objects and guide the camera to light them up in a single, smooth sweep.

SixKeys
01-12-2015, 12:16 AM
That's me as well, except I'm walking on rooftops going, "Uh-oh, wait-wait-wait... setting sun, chimney stacks, HBAO+... forward a bit, rotate camera a bit, sweeeeeeet ambient occlusion". I swear, some of my favourite bits of 'gameplay' are when I successfully walk past light-obscuring objects and guide the camera to light them up in a single, smooth sweep.

Hahaha yes, I'm a screencap hor. I'm always messing around with camera angles and poses to get the most cinematic shots.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-12-2015, 12:25 AM
I agree with the OP there are somethings that AC Unity did wrong but they are basically cosmetic things. There are also a ton of things AC Unity got right. I love the CO-OP and the focus on stealth.

Oh I hope the Phantom Blade makes a return.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-12-2015, 12:28 AM
I really like heists and the Luxembourg Palace

Yeah Heist missions are really good. There is one room in that palace I believe. But this room is so detailed and beautiful I had to take a screenshot of it with my Share button.

GoldenBoy9999
01-12-2015, 01:04 AM
Me in AC games:

Haha, that's hilarious. That is me as well.

dargor5
01-12-2015, 01:27 AM
Me in AC games:

OMG that's me looking at the dirt on windows and details inside cathedrals

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Good posts here guys. Learnt a lot of stuff I didn't know.

Even though Unity was heavily criticised by gamers (and rightly so) and even though there were some pretty annoying issues, if you take those away you really do have the basis for a really good building blocks for future games. This game brought in a lot of innovations and concepts that future games can build off and expand.

I went back to try play ACR after playing Unity for roughly 2 months and christ almighty it was hard. Made me appreciate Unity that much more.

dargor5
01-12-2015, 02:32 AM
My french is no good but I think that when you enter a building through a window people tell you to get the F*** out, I see them anxious pointing at the window so that's my best guess xD

Hood2theBurbs
01-12-2015, 03:19 AM
I love the way Arno interacts with things in the Cafe.
I really like the facial animations they're just amazing
The way enemy factions start fights with each other
The open buildings with multiple entry points are win

Assassin_M
01-12-2015, 03:34 AM
The clicking of shoes...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

HDinHB
01-12-2015, 04:35 AM
SixKeys had a great list that captured a lot of my favorites.

Not just the sound of the footsteps, but that the sound changes depending on what surface you're walking on. Or when you splash through water. (It's not unique to Unity.)

The creaking of the hinges on the money chest.

How the maid in the cafe hums Le Marseilles.

The sunlight splashing through the stained glass.

The crackling of the fires.

How Arno warms his hands the fire, but only at night, and only in the cafe (as near as I have discovered).

Running hurdles over rows of hedges or grape vines.

Hiding in the outdoor toilets.

The horsecrap in the streets. (I don't love the horsecrap, but I love that it's there.)

I'll probably think of a dozen more things after I post.