PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit view realism(not related to the 190)

DangerForward
09-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi Oleg,

One thing I've always found strange in the cockpit view system is that decreasing the FOV(field of view) zooms objects outside the cockpit. I'd always assumed this simulated my pilot moving his face closer to the sight or glass, but if this is the case then the objects outside the plane should grow no bigger. While zooming in the view is useful for a lot of reasons, I would think the only way it could happen in real life would be if my pilot had a scope or binoculars. If this were the case the view would be much different. You really notice this if you fight at night. The other day on GreaterGreen I found it hard to see enemies at the medium and far FOV setting, while it was pretty easy to see enemies at the zoomed setting. Just something to think about for the BOB or future...

Thanks,

DangerForward

DangerForward
09-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Hi Oleg,

One thing I've always found strange in the cockpit view system is that decreasing the FOV(field of view) zooms objects outside the cockpit. I'd always assumed this simulated my pilot moving his face closer to the sight or glass, but if this is the case then the objects outside the plane should grow no bigger. While zooming in the view is useful for a lot of reasons, I would think the only way it could happen in real life would be if my pilot had a scope or binoculars. If this were the case the view would be much different. You really notice this if you fight at night. The other day on GreaterGreen I found it hard to see enemies at the medium and far FOV setting, while it was pretty easy to see enemies at the zoomed setting. Just something to think about for the BOB or future...

Thanks,

DangerForward

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Your description is not quite accurate.

Our monitors "shrink" our rather large field of views into convenient 17" - 21" spaces. We would actually see objects more at the scale of the fully zoomed in view (and better and clearer besides).

Think of zoomed in view as "concentrating" on a smaller area, as you might do with "squinting your eyes" and really checking out some distant object. In doing so, you sacrifice a lot of peripheral vision. You get the full sized view that's closer to real life, but an (admittedly) exaggerated "tunnel vision" effect.

DangerForward
09-10-2004, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
Your description is not quite accurate.

Our monitors "shrink" our rather large field of views into convenient 17" - 21" spaces. We would actually see objects more at the scale of the fully zoomed in view (and better and clearer besides).

Think of zoomed in view as "concentrating" on a smaller area, as you might do with "squinting your eyes" and really checking out some distant object. In doing so, you sacrifice a lot of peripheral vision. You get the full sized view that's closer to real life, but an (admittedly) exaggerated "tunnel vision" effect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what you're saying, our view is pretty compressed. The problem is the more immersive I make my setup(like adding rudder pedals), the more it feels like I'm in a cockpit space. I guess I'll have to wait for some sort of goggle display or support for being surrounded with monitors. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DangerForward

LeadSpitter_
09-13-2004, 01:13 AM
you can map all the FOV bans to a slider making it look like a smoother lean forward view but then its 1 less slider.

i think there should be a smoothtransition pan instead of instant FOV wide, normal , gunview when cycleing thru all 3 views.

Im Hoping in BOB we dont have the missaligned crosssite view but will half alpha cuts for each revi that stay lined up i both views and have the ability to adjust the convergence and gun positioning.

I dont even find the 190 pit bad when flying but the p47 d10 d22 i feel so blinded especially from the antenna triangle poly. And the way fish eye lens makes bars appear wider then they should. you would think they would try to make a a better perspective view

The reason the bar is so big on the 190 is it covers up clipping into the engine. For example on aircraft like the p40 spitfire hurricane 109 when you look down and to the right you see inside the model. With the 109s when looking down to the right you see the wing section missing and can see directly underneath you almost.

dont forget all these photos of the 190 they are resting on thier tailwheel but in level flight the bar is behind the protruding dash. Also ta152 dora f9 had thicker armored glass, a8 had thicker armored glass then the a4 5 6 and the bar was different for all but even the largest came behind the unpadded dash edge especially when leaning forward and down to see thru the revi.

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/leadspitter/LSIG1.gif

OldMan____
09-13-2004, 05:25 AM
Dont forget our eyes are lens!! We DO zoom our view in real life.. but is so natural we can't notice it, because is instantaneous when we focus on something. So that is not completely unrealistuca (only exagerated to compensate the lack of resolution and space on a monitor)

If brute force does not solve your problem... you are not using enough!

LIZ_taylor
09-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Agree that , in french it's called "accomodation" , eye and brain focusing on the main interest point !

For exemple when looking at the big spoon stars , you may see , if good view , some double stars ...

Dnmy
09-14-2004, 04:47 AM
It's absolute nonsense to say that we zoom in in real life.

We don't.

We can focus on something but we don't zoom in.

In FB when you zoom in on an object it will appear bigger. When we focus on an object in real life, that object won't appear bigger than it is, unless we move closer.

So it's 2 absolutely different things, zooming in on an object in FB, or focusing on an object in real life.

--------------------------------

"killstealing only exists in the minds of score*****s"