PDA

View Full Version : I suspect somehow, patches do made the game literately worse, after all

Terrence_Lee
01-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Last night and today, I have encountered 2 major glitches. Get me wonder, I think some of the new glitches nowadays actually cause by the new patches themselves.

Last night I came across the weapon glitch myself. For ur information, it is a glitch that u bought a weapon, after change to another, the 1 u just bought is gone, then u have to purchase it again. I kept buying swords and as soon as I moved to the next 1, the 1 I just bought is "back to the market", have to pay for it again. In simple words, the game can no longer recognize that you own certain weapons u bought once u change.

And about the glitch today, it was the artifact memento, located on the shelf of the memento room in the cafe. Today I finally finished the final mission on companion, went to helix rifts to collect all the remaining artifacts. Finally got them all, and completed the game 100%. I got the Altair outfit, but the artifact memento in the room didn't unlocked, which should be already there because I have gather all artifacts in the game itself. Actually I wrote another thread specifically about this matter.

I am not sure, but after asking some of my friends, I began to suspect it has something to do with the patches, which maybe causing something that supposed to be unlocked but still lock, both mementos and weapons. As far as I concern, yet no one get all those 84 memento.

1. I have a friend that achieved 100%, with every mementos and every outfit, the artifact memento too. Nothing seriously wrong has happened to his game. Why? I think the main reason is because he completed the game long before the patches came out. Because not so many players finished the game early in the first 1 or 2 month. And see now, after some patches, lots of us played through the game and completed it, and then started getting these problems. Things that supposed to unlock still locked. He actually told me himself the patches made his game worse, before the patches, he didn't come across any of the serious big game breaking glitch, but now after few patches, he experienced a lot more of it from the co op and heist.

2. Remember on the forum a lot of players complained about the weapon glitch, even the sword of Eden is gone when they change weapon. Because mine is fine, my sword of Eden, it remains in the armory even after I switch weapons. So what is the reason for this? I figure maybe it is because me too completed storyline in late November, soon after the game was released. And at the time patch 3 & 4, or even patch 2 didn't existed yet. Maybe that's the reason.

3. After patch 4, actually after new year to be exact, my game started being offline from the beginning, and couldn't go online, on a daily basis! After I start up unity, the game is offline and when I try to go online, the message shown "the required ubisoft service is unreachable , 0xb0050002". No matter how many times I tried, it just stayed off. First of all, I am sure it is not my internet nor psn, as my pc and ps4 can access internet fine, and can play other games online. Second, not the ubi servers because it happens several times daily, also I can play multiplayer on other ubisoft title no problem (watch dogs).
Finally, staff here told me maybe it's my modem router settings, I am no technician but I looked it up on internet and did the changes anyway, it doesn't even matter because it didn't work at all! Until this very day, whenever I start up unity, there will be a 50/50 chance that it won't go online. I dun know whether is the patch or the club competition causing this (it did start to happen right after competition began), either way, it sucks a lot. Afterall, it directly affect the progress of the club competition.

It is just suspicion, but still these glitches gotta be fixed. No matter how ridiculous other glitches are, you simply can't have those that mess with players' game progression and unlockables. That's just the worst! But this is just me. Please feel free to share~

bitebug2003
01-09-2015, 03:29 PM
My game/PS4 freezes when I use fast travel (not all the time) and I've had Arno freeze, Arno stuck in the ground, stuck in animation loops

I'm most concerned when the PS4 freezes where but I have to switch it off from the mains - it's happened during fast travel

Terrence_Lee
01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
My game/PS4 freezes when I use fast travel (not all the time) and I've had Arno freeze, Arno stuck in the ground, stuck in animation loops

I'm most concerned when the PS4 freezes where but I have to switch it off from the mains - it's happened during fast travel

Me too, I experienced sometime the game froze in the loading screen before co op or heist started. And sometime arno froze after I accessed the menu, not even the option button worked, only the map button still functional and it would back to normal as soon as I fast travel. And I also dun have to tell you that none of these happened before patch 4 as I remembered.

bitebug2003
01-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Hopefully they are working on a 5th patch to iron out some of these issues

Jdeadevil
01-09-2015, 04:15 PM
You know what I think the problem is? Obviously I could be wrong, and I'm no programmer, but I get the feeling that rather than fixing the broken code, they're adding more code on-top to disable the individual glitches that come up. Like instead of stopping the bug that causes Arno to get stuck, adding some code that gives you more control over him during that specific memory. Akin to hiding litter under the rug. Even though I'm not surprised, I'm really disappointed that the latest patch hasn't done the game any justice. My PS4 spent ages downloading and installing the patch. Why was it so large anyway? Was it due to what I explained above? Or was it because it needed to overwrite 6.4 gigabytes of code?

Terrence_Lee
01-09-2015, 05:17 PM
You know what I think the problem is? Obviously I could be wrong, and I'm no programmer, but I get the feeling that rather than fixing the broken code, they're adding more code on-top to disable the individual glitches that come up. Like instead of stopping the bug that causes Arno to get stuck, adding some code that gives you more control over him during that specific memory. Akin to hiding litter under the rug. Even though I'm not surprised, I'm really disappointed that the latest patch hasn't done the game any justice. My PS4 spent ages downloading and installing the patch. Why was it so large anyway? Was it due to what I explained above? Or was it because it needed to overwrite 6.4 gigabytes of code?

Not to mention that almost worth 7Gb of a patch, it didn't fix the real issues of the game. By that I mean those game breaking glitches in the co-op and heist. I observed that most of the time it was because new players join in in the middle of the game, causing all sorts of game breaking glitches. I can just easily state a few here right now, as I play co op and heist everyday.

a. Objectives won't update or pop up, when u finish an objectives, the next 1 won't pop up, or it doesn't update at all. For example, to pull down 4 flags in tournament, after u pull down all flags, the counter still remains 2/4 or 3/4 flag pulled down.

b. Players lose health with no particular reason. U are not under attack, and ur health just being sucked out from u, and u die. Also not able to revive or to be revived.

c. Invisible enemies, unable to attack enemies. Enemies see u through wall, sometime enemies detect u even from the floor above or under you

d. Especially in heist, even I have clear the building, by killing all enemies, ur statues is still being detected and can't open the chest, even there is nobody around.

These are just the most COMMON glitches in co op and heist, and every each of them are bloody game breaking glitches, started from the very beginning right after the game released. And how many patches have been released so far~? 4 patches and these crap still happening until this day. What we really notice the patch has fixed, is maybe a tiny fix on framerate. But how about these freaking major problems!? These should hell be the priorities!

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 08:15 PM
I obviously don't know how their debug process works but it should be safe to assume that they follow the most basic rules. AKA they know what they're doing and avoiding what they shouldn't do. The most difficult problems to solve are logic problems. The delimma with logic problems is A) you have to find them yourself through rigorous testing and pinpoint where the problem is in the code and then fix that. Glitches occur because of RAM, obviously Ubisoft was ambitious with Unity. B) Logic problems become more complicated as the program becomes more complex. Lets take a simple example.

If you make a simple calculator that calculates 2 + 3 * 5. It's not wrong and the program WILL calculate but it doesn't give you the desired result because of the rules of the order of operation. You have add brackets for it to work as you want it to. You don't just add more on top of it to make it work, I mean sure, you can but that's bad coding and it's highly discouraged. This is just a simple example too.

wickywoowoo
01-09-2015, 08:18 PM
I have not seen one problem and I started my game on Monday after all patches installed. Maybe try and start a new game with the patches installed rather than a game save covering no patches through four patches. I think that is what the problem is.

Jdeadevil
01-09-2015, 08:33 PM
I obviously don't know how their debug process works but it should be safe to assume that they follow the most basic rules. AKA they know what they're doing and avoiding what they shouldn't do. The most difficult problems to solve are logic problems. The delimma with logic problems is A) you have to find them yourself through rigorous testing and pinpoint where the problem is in the code and then fix that. Glitches occur because of RAM, obviously Ubisoft was ambitious with Unity. B) Logic problems become more complicated as the program becomes more complex. Lets take a simple example.

If you make a simple calculator that calculates 2 + 3 * 5. It's not wrong and the program WILL calculate but it doesn't give you the desired result because of the rules of the order of operation. You have add brackets for it to work as you want it to. You don't just add more on top of it to make it work, I mean sure, you can but that's bad coding and it's highly discouraged. This is just a simple example too.

Ah yeah that makes sense, the order of operations in maths is a good example. But maybe the main problem is the technology used, in this case. That would make sense if the patches are making the game somewhat worse. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Ah yeah that makes sense, the order of operations in maths is a good example. But maybe the main problem is the technology used, in this case. That would make sense if the patches are making the game somewhat worse. I guess we'll never know for sure.
Well, there's also the hardware that you need to put in mind. Not every single PS4 is the same or runs the same. People seem to assume that every Console is the same when there're a lot of factors to consider such as space. Also, sometimes when one attempts to fix an error in a code, it may result in an unexpected problem to arise somewhere else, that problem may be unsolvable as in, they'd have to scrap something out of the game but since the game is already out, they didn't want to do that. They considered lessening the number of people in the streets to improve the frame rate but it turns out that wasn't the problem. Unfortunately, this is simply because of their very tight schedule, which i'm not excusing.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Didnt Ubi say their crouch mechanic alone took like 8 million lines of code?

that actually overcomplicates things dont it?

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 09:49 PM

where have you read this? Regardless, they're obviously not referring to JUST the animation of crouching, just everything else associated with it. There's the collision detection, the numerous situations that need to be addressed...etc. That said, I don't really know how their programmers write their codes, for all I know, one line could just be: collision = 0

bitebug2003
01-09-2015, 09:52 PM

I think you might have misread what Alex Anacio said

"The engine was ... I mean, we rewrote like 6 million lines of code for this," says Alex Amancio, the creative director who speaks for the work of ten different Ubisoft studios. "It's not a joke."

He was referring to the new engine for AC Unity

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/06/the-crouch-that-changed-assassins-creed/

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 09:53 PM
@m

I am aware. I said crouch mechanic not animation.

i just heard from several places that the code is super long (possibly unnecessarily) and that affects optimization or something.

but hey i dont know how that stuff works.

me no technology.

i've written java and html code before but that's about it. i dont actually know if there's downsides to massive code or if ubi's code could have been condensed while retaining proper functionality (or even improving it)

im just going by word of mouth, hence why i was wondering if anyone here knew the truth to it

@bitebug

ahhh

the entire game was like 2 billion lines tho right?

i dont know code length norm so *shrugs*

was just trying to bring topic to discuss. guess nothing there

SlyTrooper
01-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Hopefully Dead Kings will not have as many glitches. Does anyone know whether the glitches from Unity will carry over into Dead Kings or does it count as its own thing? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Hopefully Dead Kings will not have as many glitches. Does anyone know whether the glitches from Unity will carry over into Dead Kings or does it count as its own thing? I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff.
It may or may not, depends on how they treat it. It could be a completely separate subroutine inside the main function of the larger game or it could be independent. Either way, they're gonna use code from the main game, so this depends on whether or not they can iron things out. I would suspect that since Dead Kings is smaller, they'll be able to manage it.

@m

I am aware. I said crouch mechanic not animation.

i just heard from several places that the code is super long (possibly unnecessarily) and that affects optimization or something.

but hey i dont know how that stuff works.

me no technology.

i've written java and html code before but that's about it. i dont actually know if there's downsides to massive code or if ubi's code could have been condensed while retaining proper functionality (or even improving it)

im just going by word of mouth, hence why i was wondering if anyone here knew the truth to it
Ah, I was wondering because heck, as I said, 8 million for EVERYTHING that has to do with crouching is largely far fetched. Code length affects optimization if it's not properly organized. Optimization is making sure the game is stable, that ranges from cutting down on graphics and visuals (AKA "downgrading") to sorting out potential problems in logic. I'm sure such a large code is properly organized, they're professionals after all.

bitebug2003
01-09-2015, 10:14 PM
@bitebug

ahhh

the entire game was like 2 billion lines tho right?

i dont know code length norm so *shrugs*

was just trying to bring topic to discuss. guess nothing there

No harm in that

GOODY_2_SHOES_23
02-02-2015, 06:44 AM
The Artifact Memento has nothing to do with the artifacts from the app (I have it) or the artifacts in the Dead Kings DLC. I know, because I had the Memento, before I had a phone that would do the app and long before the Dead Kings DLC. This may sound like a sick idea, but I actually am contemplating starting over for a 3rd time. I have hit Legend rank now for the second time, I lost everything the first time, when I got nabbed in the "add in game contact" thing, that corrupted my game save...that's when I lost the memento. Now I have all of them and don't have it, but as I noted in another post, it's seems to be something to do with the Tailored Bourgeois Hood and the artifacts in Ventre de Paris. There are 4 artifacts in total, and according to the Intendands Study, that's what I'm missing is 4
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/1614473_771445696244260_8926009619926789070_o.jpgh ttps://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10517602_771453619576801_1082462628246662268_o.jpg https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/1622282_771453149576848_3976928136458683523_o.jpgh ttps://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10947437_771453742910122_7968393918759670973_o.jpg https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10934123_771453832910113_5938147495640191652_o.jpg https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/1932583_771453896243440_2764397381292881557_o.jpg
So, like I said, 100% complete across the board, and no memento. I also have the wepons and gear earned that I can't equip, even tho it's unlocked. I have submitted a ticket on this with pics, as many have. Nothing heard back, as of yet, guess they're working on it.