PDA

View Full Version : My Assassin's Creed Rogue Review.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 04:32 AM
I'm just going to start out by prefacing my experience with AC. I've been a pretty avid fan of the series for a long time. I was there on release day of the first AC. I've bought every game on release day and have played all of them on 100% at least once. I have completed a Unity review and I believe I game the game an 8/10. I enjoyed most of it, but it did have it's flaws, most were very preventable which made it all the more annoying. But I digress, let us move on to the review. This goes without saying, but this is my opinion of the game. Obviously not everyone has to agree and that's fine.

Story
What I liked
- Return of old characters. It was awesome to see Achilles greet Adewale.
- Shay. There were some flaws with his character, but overall he was a generally like-able guy. I enjoyed his screentime, something I can't say for all protagonists (didn't like Connor much)
- Unique plot. It was much different and probably the most unique plot of the franchise. It was interesting to see his transformation from a reckless Assassin to a stern and serious Templar.
- Character designs. I have something to say about the characters later on, but their visual designs were pretty cool.

What I did not like
- The voice acting. Almost all the characters just sounded poorly performed to me. The only convincing characters to me were Adewale, Haytham and Liam. Shay's performance was pretty good but it was clear he was putting on the accent. Characters like Le Chasseur, Achilles, Hope, James Cook, George Monro and Christopher Gist either had bland delivery or just felt out of place (Hope sounded like she was reading and Gist sounded like he was on a deodorant commercial)
- The presentation. The story for me was a bit over 6 hours. This is not long enough, plain and simple. This is meant to be a narrative heavy focus and having a 6 hour plot is just frankly unacceptable. Needs to be much, much longer. This length had diverse effects on the plot itself. Characters were not set up enough for me to care about them and they just weren't as memorable to me as others in the series.
- Characters. I just never grew attached to any of them really. I never cared for Shay or his quest, never cared about the other Assassin's apart from Adewale and I never found any of the Templars interesting. Even Haytham felt different to me than what we saw with in him in AC3, and I think this is due to two things. The length of the story and the writing. Shay in particular was the same for me as Arno. I liked them but I never cared for their quest, because neither of them got enough character development.
- Dialogue. This is a pretty divisive issue, but I really could not stand the 'I make my own luck' thing that Shay kept saying. Every time he said it it felt so out of place and just weird. Hell it's even a running joke now within the AC community. Every time he said it he just sounded pissed off and mad. Just stop please. Don't do this again.So cliche, so unoriginal and so jarring. The dialogue in general though wasn't too bad, but it felt more cliched than other games. I really like the dialogue of Darby and Corey, but I could tell without knowing the actual writer that neither of them wrote this game (found out it was the guy from Liberations)

Gameplay
Not much to say here really. It's the exact same as AC4. Little to no changes aside from a couple of new animations and some new naval weapons (burning oil). The combat and parkour are smooth and the stealth is still fairly non existent here. Needs more stealth innovation but I'm sure they only had a year for this game so I wouldn't expect them to include any gameplay innovation. New weapons such as the Air Rifle were included but it behaved like a glorified blowpipe so I didn't find it particularly ground-breaking.

Parkour was still fairly sticky was it was smooth when it worked.

Sound
The sound of the world was pretty much the same as the previous two games. Which is quite good. It has pretty good atmosphere. Not the best in the series but it was believable enough.

The music I felt was mediocre for AC standards. I've always felt AC has had some of the best music out there (especially Jesper's games), and even though the Rogue soundtrack is quite good I found it the weakest of the franchise. The main theme is essentially AC2 and AC4 tunes put together into 1 song. Many of the other tunes sounded generic and soulless. There were some cool tunes but nothing that was outstanding or memorable. There was never that 'holy sh*t' song that I'd always download right after hearing it.

The voice acting. Very disappointed here. Without a doubt the worst voice acting in the series. Almost every character was flawed in some way. It was either a poor fake accent or just bad performance in general. I've spoken about it previously so I won't ramble, but it was pretty bad for AC standards. It's average for regular game standards, but I expected more from AC. I'm not trying to pick on Rogue here either. I also had a problem with Elise's fake accent in Unity and some of her delivery made me cringe but it was never at the level of Rogue.

Graphics
Graphics are pretty much the exact same as AC4. The environments aren't as nice to look at as the Carribean, but the graphics are still pretty good for a last-gen game. I experience some weird shadow flickering on the PS3 though that looked particularly bad in cutscenes, but it was never immersion breaking

Side content
Unfortunately more disappointment here. Without any multiplayer to speak of I was expecting some pretty deep side activities. Boy was I wrong. All it was essentially were fort infiltrations and collectibles. Soooo..... many.... collectibles. This game might of had more collectibles than Unity. There was not a single cutscene narrative side mission in this game. Not a single one. On the good side some of the collectibles that were here were quite interesting, and future AC games should take notes. If you're going to do collectibles (which I'm sure AC will) make them interesting. Give them a lore taste. The War Letters for example were much more interesting to read and collect than the cockades of Unity. I would have liked to see more narrative side content with cutscenes and all, but most of the collectibles we did get did have a place here, thankfully.

Modern day
The modern day is again almost the exact same as AC4. Same building, same assets same everything. Except instead of hacking computers you repair them. This is however LEAGUES better than what we got in Unity. Even though I still want another 3rd person protagonist it was definitely interesting to read a lot of the lore and modern day happenings of the assassins and Templars. My problem is that I want to experience it, not read it. I expand a bit more about this in another thread, but the modern day of this game and AC4 felt like one big database entry, rather than the Desmond saga where we actually do stuff in the modern day world. While this is interesting I'd much rather experience the lore than read it. If I wanted to read it I'd head over to the AC Wiki.

Setting
I never really cared much for the setting either. It's not like the setting is bad, but considering this is the 5th game in 18th Century America I was getting pretty tired of the setting. New York while looking very similar does behave much more AC friendly. Much easier to parkour around the city which a welcome change. River Valley was quite boring for me. Re-hashed the Frontier assets from AC3 and it just felt pointless to explore when all that was out there were collectibles. The North Atlantic was pretty awesome though. I would have preferred they expanded on the North Atlantic and centered the entire game there. Was by far the most interesting place in the game.

Final Verdict
My final score of the game is a
6/10
Was slightly above average for me. If you're a hardcore fan than this is worth picking up at a lower price. If you're not a hardcore fan then don't bother, because this game doesn't really have much of an impact on the franchise as a whole. Luckily I got this game for free from a friend. The game has
- 6 hour story with interesting and unique plot but poor acting performance from most characters (some were good)
- No multiplayer
- No story based side content. Purely collectibles and fort infiltration's.
- Modern day that is a replica of AC4.
- New York (again), River Valley (a big Frontier) and the North Atlantic (a cool ice landscape)

The game is not terrible, but it's quite clear it's a 1 year effort. This is more of an AC3 + AC4 expansion than anything else. If you really need it wait for the price to go down a bit, or wait for the inevitable next-gen port.

List your thoughts below. Agree? Disagree? Comment below. Would love to hear your thoughts and will respond to any comments/queries.
Thanks for your time and have a good day.

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Hate me if you will, but I feel like the story of Rogue is very overrated. Instead of diving deep into the philosophical differences of the two orders, the game basically pulls a 180 and made the Assassins into, well, somewhat of the new Borgias. It was a huge disappointment for me. I wanted to see Shay conflicted by things like morals and principles, not saving the world from the corrupted who happens to be his friends. We've already tread a similar path, the only difference are that they swapped the labels of the two factions.

I mean, the beginning showed promise. The dialogues between Shay and Liam were something. Shay would mumble about the hypocrisy and injustice, but it sometimes made the Assassins appear villainous. The early white rooms were also pretty good. I absolutely loved the first few contracts. The back and fourth between Shay and his victims were great.

''Even the Devil can quote scripture to serve his own purposes.'' --Absolutely brilliant. But we don't get much of that in the later game. Once we hop over to the other side, that's the end of the goodies.

And the returning cameos are a disappointment. Adewale, Haytham, Achilles, Johnson, etc... They unfortunately aren't as charming or memorable.

That said, I enjoyed the game a whole lot. I disagree with a lot of your points about the gameplay, MD, setting, sound, and side content, but I'll discuss that later, maybe. Overall, Rogue gets a 7/10 from me.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 05:48 AM
Hate me if you will, but I feel like the story of Rogue is very overrated. Instead of diving deep into the philosophical differences of the two orders, the game basically pulls a 180 and made the Assassins into, well, somewhat of the new Borgias. It was a huge disappointment for me. I wanted to see Shay conflicted by things like morals and principles, not saving the world from the corrupted who happens to be his friends. We've already tread a similar path, the only difference are that they swapped the labels of the two factions.

I mean, the beginning showed promise. The dialogues between Shay and Liam were something. Shay would mumble about the hypocrisy and injustice, but it sometimes made the Assassins appear villainous. The early white rooms were also pretty good. I absolutely loved the first few contracts. The back and fourth between Shay and his victims were great.

''Even the Devil can quote scripture to serve his own purposes.'' --Absolutely brilliant. But we don't get much of that in the later game. Once we hop over to the other side, that's the end of the goodies.

And the returning cameos are a disappointment. Adewale, Haytham, Achilles, Johnson, etc... They unfortunately aren't as charming or memorable.

That said, I enjoyed the game a whole lot. I disagree with a lot of your points about the gameplay, MD, setting, sound, and side content, but I'll discuss that later, maybe. Overall, Rogue gets a 7/10 from me.

Completely agree. The transformation wasn't very convincing and I found the villains to be even more so. The Assassin's in this game felt so cartoony. They did not feel like Assassin's at all. Like Hope's gangs controlling crime. No way would the Assassin's allow these thugs to murder innocents and steal from civilians.

Also agree about the story in general. It is definitely overrated, at least on these forums. I've seen people act like this story is the Christ of gaming. It wasn't bad, but I've played hundreds of games with more interesting stories.

Would be interested to see what you disagree with my points. Care to expand? Would love to hear them.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 05:51 AM
Too lazy to do in-depth review. Also want to 100% it first. But ill post my general thoughts

I was extremely fond of Rogue's characters.

Shay
Liam
Hope
Monroe
Chevalier

the most.

but i also enjoyed

Gist
Adewale
Achilles
Haytham
James Cook

I just wanted to huggle all of them.

Kesegewasse was lame though. Also his eyes were weird.

I agree on voice acting though. Some of the voices SUCKED. Not as bad as Liberation's though. Still pissed they changed William Johnson's voice though. Really takes you out of it when he sounds nothing like he does in AC3.

There was some questionable writing. Only so many times before "I make my own luck" gets annoying.

Agree on pretty much everything else, OP.

@fatal

overrated?

i dont see anyone on the forum really fangasming over shay or rogue other than me. And only general praise i see is that the story is good on reviews and some comments. that it. good. not amazing like the last of us or anything.(tho i dont think that story is amazing anyway)

compared to unity it's christ on earth yes and maybe that affected people's minds but generally people say it's just good. not amazing. good. and i dont think thats overrated.

ParkTyGreen
01-09-2015, 06:08 AM
I liked the story, but definitely feel it wasn't worth 60 dollars. The content in the game is hardly more than content you would find in most expansions for games, feel a bit cheated out of my cash by ubisoft if I'm honest.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 06:11 AM
I liked the story, but definitely feel it wasn't worth 60 dollars. The content in the game is hardly more than content you would find in most expansions for games, feel a bit cheated out of my cash by ubisoft if I'm honest.

Thankfully I got the game for free from a friend. With that in mind, I never would have paid full price for this game. Not enough innovation to merit full price. I would have waited until at least half price.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Too lazy to do in-depth review. Also want to 100% it first. But ill post my general thoughts

I was extremely fond of Rogue's characters.

Shay
Liam
Hope
Monroe
Chevalier

the most.

but i also enjoyed

Gist
Adewale
Achilles
Haytham
James Cook

I just wanted to huggle all of them.

Kesegewasse was lame though. Also his eyes were weird.

I agree on voice acting though. Some of the voices SUCKED. Not as bad as Liberation's though. Still pissed they changed William Johnson's voice though. Really takes you out of it when he sounds nothing like he does in AC3.

There was some questionable writing. Only so many times before "I make my own luck" gets annoying.

Agree on pretty much everything else, OP.

@fatal

overrated?

i dont see anyone on the forum really fangasming over shay or rogue other than me. And only general praise i see is that the story is good on reviews and some comments. that it. good. not amazing like the last of us or anything.(tho i dont think that story is amazing anyway)

compared to unity it's christ on earth yes and maybe that affected people's minds but generally people say it's just good. not amazing. good. and i dont think thats overrated.

The Last of Us for me was the exact opposite of Unity.

Unity actually had an interesting premise and lots of unique lore and characters in the story. It was a good plot. My problem is that the presentation of this lore was poor in game.
For TLOU the actual premise and plot was fairly unoriginal. We've seen hundreds of apocalyptic zombie games. But it was the characters and the character interactions, along with the progression of these characters that made the game truly special. If they used some of Unity's characters more (Napoleon, Marqui de Sade, Bellec) the game would have been more interesting.

Hell with AC4 I remember Darby saying his priority was not to make an interesting plot. He wanted to make an interesting world and fun characters. He achieved this with flying colours and many in the forums and reddit now think the game had a good story.

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2015, 10:11 AM
@fatal

overrated?

Ur right. Overrated isn't what it was.

Disappointment is what I meant. Rogue was my most anticipated of the AC games this year and it ended up being passable for me. I was really hoping for another Revelations, which it kinda was, but I suppose AC3 and 4 set the bars up real high.

Oh, you. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Gameplay
Not much to say here really. It's the exact same as AC4. Little to no changes aside from a couple of new animations and some new naval weapons (burning oil).

There are plenty of changes. It uses the same mechanics and engine as Black Flag, but it adds a bunch of layers and innovation to the gameplay.

* Assassin enemies - stalkers / bosses
* Bounty Hunters on land
* Bar fights has interactive objects - barrels, tables, etc
* The Morrigan is a different ship archetype - smaller, faster, and more agile than both the Aquila and Jackdaw
* New chase breakers - zip-lines, rope swinging (more prominent), incomplete trees / buildings, etc, etc
* Ability to kill civilians
* New collectibles - Diamonds, Native Pillars, Viking Swords, etc, etc
* Renovations
* New quests - Hunting Challenges, Assassin Interceptions, Supply Camps, Help the British, etc, etc
* New Eagle Vision that detects Assassins
* Reverse boarding
* New tools for the ship - Puckle Gun, Burning Oil, Ice Ram, and Carronade
* North Atlantic introduces a new layer to naval (and hunting on rowboat) with its icebergs and glaciers that affects navigation and combat
* North Atlantic allows you to run across unshattered ice and you may freeze to death if you're in the water for too long
* The River Valley is very perplex and compact, adding a puzzling layer to navigation and combat
* The River Valley introduces new navigation features such as rafts to instantly travel across river and smoke signals to instantly spawn your ship near you
* New navigation, high profile, and combat animations (not that they affect gameplay, but worth mentioning)
* Smoke bombs may be used against you
* Supply chests
* Enemy dogs
* Poison gas and gas mask
* Improved whistling
* New areas - shipwrecks, Assassin hideouts, outposts, etc, etc
* New hacking puzzles
* New Animus hacks
* New Legendary Ship Battles

There's probably a lot more I'm probably forgetting, but I feel like that's already enough to make my point.

The combat and parkour are smooth and the stealth is still fairly non existent here. Needs more stealth innovation but I'm sure they only had a year for this game so I wouldn't expect them to include any gameplay innovation.

Whoa, what. Like Black Flag, stealth is literally prioritized at almost every point in the game. I would say that 90% of the game involved stealth. Regarding its innovations, there are a few:

* New stealth tool - Air Rifle
* Using poison gas against the enemies
* Eagle vision that detects Assassins
* Improved whistling
* Assassin enemies such as stalkers that you now have to look out for

New weapons such as the Air Rifle were included but it behaved like a glorified blowpipe so I didn't find it particularly ground-breaking.

Fair enough, but it's still worth complimenting, IMO. It's very viable in both combat and stealth. Forget the Morrigan, the Air Rifle is my second main character in Rogue. I can't imagine playing without it.

The main theme is essentially AC2 and AC4 tunes put together into 1 song.

It's a mix of AC2, 3, 4, and a some tune of its own. I personally love it.

Many of the other tunes sounded generic and soulless. There were some cool tunes but nothing that was outstanding or memorable. There was never that 'holy sh*t' song that I'd always download right after hearing it.

Eh, music is very subjective. I agree that it's a little weak for AC, but there are a few tunes I actually love:

* Main Theme - Kill me if you want, but I actually like it more than Ezio's Family
* I Am Shay Patrick Cormac - It brought tears to my face in the beginning and it brought more at the end
* Dangerous Waters - Dat violin solo. Most of it is passable, but 1:39 and 4:04 is very orgasmic, mate.

Side content
Unfortunately more disappointment here. Without any multiplayer to speak of I was expecting some pretty deep side activities. Boy was I wrong. All it was essentially were fort infiltrations and collectibles. Soooo..... many.... collectibles. This game might of had more collectibles than Unity.

I fully agree about the disappointment in lack of narrative side missions and adversarial MP, but Rogue still had some pretty darn good side missions. Assassin hideouts and interception were very interesting, offering great usage of the new Eagle Vision and open-ended stealth. There are plenty of other open-ended side missions like hunting quests, forts, etc and I love that. Supply camps, outposts, etc are very replayable as well.

Like Black Flag, Rogue nailed the side missions. Easily 2nd or 3rd best in said department.

Modern day
The modern day is again almost the exact same as AC4. Same building, same assets same everything. Except instead of hacking computers you repair them. This is however LEAGUES better than what we got in Unity. Even though I still want another 3rd person protagonist it was definitely interesting to read a lot of the lore and modern day happenings of the assassins and Templars. My problem is that I want to experience it, not read it. I expand a bit more about this in another thread, but the modern day of this game and AC4 felt like one big database entry, rather than the Desmond saga where we actually do stuff in the modern day world. While this is interesting I'd much rather experience the lore than read it. If I wanted to read it I'd head over to the AC Wiki.

I was very disappointed in the modern day setting. Not because it's like Black Flag's (which is my fav), but because it's in the same setting, but with a whole lot less of the charm. There are less computers to hack and the building just felt very drab. A downgrade is the only I can describe it.

Also, did anyone else notice that the guards walked around with Revelations Ezio's animations? That bothers me to no end! UGH.

That said, I still enjoyed it. I'm not going to talk a lot about the subject, but Black Flag and Rogue's MD are the best, IMO. I absolutely adore the shift from 3rd person in the Animus to first person in MD. It makes the transition very interesting and MD feeling more like, well, MD. --The real world. I'll never get tired of hacking/repairing. The lore, teasers, and trivias we can dig up and learn are very fun and intriguing. I prefer watching the cut-scenes, listening to audio tapes, perving on conversations, and looking at pictures more than using the wiki. The process of exploring the area, finding an accessible computer, playing the hack/repair mini-game, and getting the new nitbit of lore through its various ways is a better experience.

Setting
I never really cared much for the setting either. It's not like the setting is bad, but considering this is the 5th game in 18th Century America I was getting pretty tired of the setting. New York while looking very similar does behave much more AC friendly. Much easier to parkour around the city which a welcome change. River Valley was quite boring for me. Re-hashed the Frontier assets from AC3 and it just felt pointless to explore when all that was out there were collectibles. The North Atlantic was pretty awesome though. I would have preferred they expanded on the North Atlantic and centered the entire game there. Was by far the most interesting place in the game.

I love Rogue's setting. Its beautiful. I guess I can understand the fatigue if you're not a huge 18th century fanboy like I am, but it's fantastic non the less. New York was rebuilt from the ground-up, that's for sure. I hardly even recognized it.

As for the River Valley, I disagree. To start off, there wasn't that much reused assets of the Frontier. The occasional unclimbable rocks and animals, okay, but the trees and overall environment are radically different from AC3. I'm an AC3 addict and the only similarity I could recognize were the foresty aesthetics. Like New York, it's a similar/same setting, but rebuilt from the ground up in Black Flag fashion. As for exploration, hell no, it wasn't pointless. Put the collectibles aside, and there were tonnes of things to do. Hunting quests, or hunting in general, Assassin interceptions, Assassin hideouts, helping the British, supply camps, renovations, bar fights, naval reasons in general, etc, there's ample reasons to explore the River Valley.

Other than that, we see eye to eye on many things.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 01:03 PM
There are plenty of changes. It uses the same mechanics and engine as Black Flag, but it adds a bunch of layers and innovation to the gameplay.

* Assassin enemies - stalkers / bosses
* Bounty Hunters on land
* Bar fights has interactive objects - barrels, tables, etc
* The Morrigan is a different ship archetype - smaller, faster, and more agile than both the Aquila and Jackdaw
* New chase breakers - zip-lines, rope swinging (more prominent), incomplete trees / buildings, etc, etc
* Ability to kill civilians
* New collectibles - Diamonds, Native Pillars, Viking Swords, etc, etc
* Renovations
* New quests - Hunting Challenges, Assassin Interceptions, Supply Camps, Help the British, etc, etc
* New Eagle Vision that detects Assassins
* Reverse boarding
* New tools for the ship - Puckle Gun, Burning Oil, Ice Ram, and Carronade
* North Atlantic introduces a new layer to naval (and hunting on rowboat) with its icebergs and glaciers that affects navigation and combat
* North Atlantic allows you to run across unshattered ice and you may freeze to death if you're in the water for too long
* The River Valley is very perplex and compact, adding a puzzling layer to navigation and combat
* The River Valley introduces new navigation features such as rafts to instantly travel across river and smoke signals to instantly spawn your ship near you
* New navigation, high profile, and combat animations (not that they affect gameplay, but worth mentioning)
* Smoke bombs may be used against you
* Supply chests
* Enemy dogs
* Poison gas and gas mask
* Improved whistling
* New areas - shipwrecks, Assassin hideouts, outposts, etc, etc
* New hacking puzzles
* New Animus hacks
* New Legendary Ship Battles

There's probably a lot more I'm probably forgetting, but I feel like that's already enough to make my point.

Whoa, what. Like Black Flag, stealth is literally prioritized at almost every point in the game. I would say that 90% of the game involved stealth. Regarding its innovations, there are a few:

* New stealth tool - Air Rifle
* Using poison gas against the enemies
* Eagle vision that detects Assassins
* Improved whistling
* Assassin enemies such as stalkers that you now have to look out for

Fair enough, but it's still worth complimenting, IMO. It's very viable in both combat and stealth. Forget the Morrigan, the Air Rifle is my second main character in Rogue. I can't imagine playing without it.

It's a mix of AC2, 3, 4, and a some tune of its own. I personally love it.

Eh, music is very subjective. I agree that it's a little weak for AC, but there are a few tunes I actually love:

* Main Theme - Kill me if you want, but I actually like it more than Ezio's Family
* I Am Shay Patrick Cormac - It brought tears to my face in the beginning and it brought more at the end
* Dangerous Waters - Dat violin solo. Most of it is passable, but 1:39 and 4:04 is very orgasmic, mate.

I fully agree about the disappointment in lack of narrative side missions and adversarial MP, but Rogue still had some pretty darn good side missions. Assassin hideouts and interception were very interesting, offering great usage of the new Eagle Vision and open-ended stealth. There are plenty of other open-ended side missions like hunting quests, forts, etc and I love that. Supply camps, outposts, etc are very replayable as well.

Like Black Flag, Rogue nailed the side missions. Easily 2nd or 3rd best in said department.

I was very disappointed in the modern day setting. Not because it's like Black Flag's (which is my fav), but because it's in the same setting, but with a whole lot less of the charm. There are less computers to hack and the building just felt very drab. A downgrade is the only I can describe it.

Also, did anyone else notice that the guards walked around with Revelations Ezio's animations? That bothers me to no end! UGH.

That said, I still enjoyed it. I'm not going to talk a lot about the subject, but Black Flag and Rogue's MD are the best, IMO. I absolutely adore the shift from 3rd person in the Animus to first person in MD. It makes the transition very interesting and MD feeling more like, well, MD. --The real world. I'll never get tired of hacking/repairing. The lore, teasers, and trivias we can dig up and learn are very fun and intriguing. I prefer watching the cut-scenes, listening to audio tapes, perving on conversations, and looking at pictures more than using the wiki. The process of exploring the area, finding an accessible computer, playing the hack/repair mini-game, and getting the new nitbit of lore through its various ways is a better experience.

I love Rogue's setting. Its beautiful. I guess I can understand the fatigue if you're not a huge 18th century fanboy like I am, but it's fantastic non the less. New York was rebuilt from the ground-up, that's for sure. I hardly even recognized it.

As for the River Valley, I disagree. To start off, there wasn't that much reused assets of the Frontier. The occasional unclimbable rocks and animals, okay, but the trees and overall environment are radically different from AC3. I'm an AC3 addict and the only similarity I could recognize were the foresty aesthetics. Like New York, it's a similar/same setting, but rebuilt from the ground up in Black Flag fashion. As for exploration, hell no, it wasn't pointless. Put the collectibles aside, and there were tonnes of things to do. Hunting quests, or hunting in general, Assassin interceptions, Assassin hideouts, helping the British, supply camps, renovations, bar fights, naval reasons in general, etc, there's ample reasons to explore the River Valley.

Other than that, we see eye to eye on many things.

A lot of the 'gameplay' changes you listed don't really change gameplay. New collectibles for example isn't really new gameplay. New gameplay would be something like the chase breaker, if I remember correctly. But yes there some changes you listed that I did appreciate. I think the theme here though is that none of those really make a huge difference, and a lot of those aren't really new. It felt like DLC to me. A lot of the traits of this game occur in Freedom Cry. New story, protagonist, weapons, environment, story, new ship etc.

In regards to the stealth, I think I worded it wrong. I should have said the stealth is still fairly weak. For what's suppose to be a stealth oriented game, there is no stealth button to speak of. It's just blending and hiding in bushes and haystacks. No cover system, no crouch button, no use of lighting mechanics.

I agree the Air Rifle was fun to use. I always ran out of ammo because I spammed it. The point is though but apart from new art and sound assets it behaved almost the exact same. It had some slight tweaks, like shooting grenades as well but it was still fairly the same.

In terms of the music, I didn't hate it. It just felt lazy to me. Instead of using new tunes and anthems, she just used tunes from other games and mixed them together. It just added to the already re-hashy feeling for me.

Side content we mostly agree on so I won't discuss much, but stuff like fort infiltrations and supply camps to me felt really repetitive. I just kind of got bored because they all felt the same. Would have loved to see something similar to the Leonardo missions from Brotherhood (which for the record I also consider DLC/expansion) or the Templar Hunts from AC4. There was none of it here.

Can't say I agree about the modern day. I still enjoyed AC4's but I much preferred the Desmond saga. I felt like AC4's and ACR's were just interactive databases. Just had a bunch of sound clips and text. I'd rather actually participate in the battles than just hear or read about them.

For the setting. To be fair I never really liked the setting of AC3. I appreciated it for differentiating from the earlier games but it just felt boring to me. I never fell in love with it like I did in the Ezio games, or hell even the Altair and Arno games. I did like the Carribean though.

In terms of the River Valley. When you look at the land sections, they look very similar to me to the Frontier from AC3. Just felt like retreading.
I felt the exploration was pointless was because, well there was no point to it. The hunting challenges, Assassin interceptions didn't give any meaningful rewards. With Unity the chests and side content (while still fairly repetitive) at least contributed to new gear and weapons. It felt like it had a place and had a reason to be there. With the hunting challenges you never need to do them. You don't need money. Yes there are things to do, but the rewards aren't impactful.

But cheers for the comment. Appreciate the insight.

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2015, 02:11 PM
A lot of the 'gameplay' changes you listed don't really change gameplay. New collectibles for example isn't really new gameplay. New gameplay would be something like the chase breaker, if I remember correctly. But yes there some changes you listed that I did appreciate. I think the theme here though is that none of those really make a huge difference, and a lot of those aren't really new. It felt like DLC to me. A lot of the traits of this game occur in Freedom Cry. New story, protagonist, weapons, environment, story, new ship etc.

Well, some collectibles do affect the gameplay with some new elements. Prosperity gems, for example, improves the economy and increases the overall income at the bank. Native pillars introduces a new puzzle. Cave paintings requires the usage of EV. All of them are placed in locations that requires some exploration and navigation solving. Subtle, but it's there.

I mean, the game is very DLC-esque, I wouldn't argue with that, but there's JUST enough to warrant its own title, IMO. However, with the removal of adversarial MP, it should have been 40$, not 60$.

In regards to the stealth, I think I worded it wrong. I should have said the stealth is still fairly weak. For what's suppose to be a stealth oriented game, there is no stealth button to speak of. It's just blending and hiding in bushes and haystacks. No cover system, no crouch button, no use of lighting mechanics.

Ahaha, agreed. Jumping between Unity and Rogue has this night and day difference. That said, Rogue still brought out the best in stealth for last-gen ACs.

I agree the Air Rifle was fun to use. I always ran out of ammo because I spammed it. The point is though but apart from new art and sound assets it behaved almost the exact same. It had some slight tweaks, like shooting grenades as well but it was still fairly the same.

I would say that it's the childbirth of the blowpipe and blunderbuss.

In terms of the music, I didn't hate it. It just felt lazy to me. Instead of using new tunes and anthems, she just used tunes from other games and mixed them together. It just added to the already re-hashy feeling for me.

The game was already being ripped on for reusing so much assets. The last thing the game needed was reused tunes in its soundtrack (something fans on the forums were looking forward too), but it happened. I know exactly how you feel.

But the theme eventually grew on me as I began loving the game.

Side content we mostly agree on so I won't discuss much, but stuff like fort infiltrations and supply camps to me felt really repetitive. I just kind of got bored because they all felt the same. Would have loved to see something similar to the Leonardo missions from Brotherhood (which for the record I also consider DLC/expansion) or the Templar Hunts from AC4. There was none of it here.

I'm not a fan of Leonardo's War Machines missions and I found the Templar Hunts to be a little bit linear, but I understand the affect it has on you. Personally, I enjoy seamless open-ended missions like Fort Infiltration, for example. The setup is repetitive. Do this and do that, but the journey is always different. It's always a different area with its own levels and tricks. The thing I like about open-ended missions are that they're opened. No linear designs, whatsoever. I can create my own story. i.e - For this one fort, I navigated through the bushes into the chaos, put the snipers to sleep, knocked them out, and blew up the powder reserves with my Air Rifle. Next, I berserked a couple of guards and made them kill the fort captain for me.

^ I prefer making my own experiences like that in open world games such as Rogue. Stuff like blowing up a couple of Man o' Wars with Greek Fire in Brotherhood is fun and exciting the first or second playthrough, but it gets boring and tedious afterwards.

Can't say I agree about the modern day. I still enjoyed AC4's but I much preferred the Desmond saga. I felt like AC4's and ACR's were just interactive databases. Just had a bunch of sound clips and text. I'd rather actually participate in the battles than just hear or read about them.

There is only so much you could participate in. And as one of the lead writer had explained, these things take too much time and resources. AC3's MD alone took 9 months and it was comprised of its own team.

But regardless of the lore, I never really got into the Desmond Saga. It always felt poorly done. But I'll leave this discussion for another time.

For the setting. To be fair I never really liked the setting of AC3. I appreciated it for differentiating from the earlier games but it just felt boring to me. I never fell in love with it like I did in the Ezio games, or hell even the Altair and Arno games. I did like the Carribean though.

As expected, not every setting will satisfy everyone. People have their likes and dislikes. That's something I love so much about this franchise. The games are very diverse, very unique on their own. In one installment, you could be playing as an aimless rogue in search of riches throughout the Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy and then a Native American hunter of the American Revolution fighting for freedom and independence in the next. I love it.

In terms of the River Valley. When you look at the land sections, they look very similar to me to the Frontier from AC3. Just felt like retreading.
I felt the exploration was pointless was because, well there was no point to it. The hunting challenges, Assassin interceptions didn't give any meaningful rewards. With Unity the chests and side content (while still fairly repetitive) at least contributed to new gear and weapons. It felt like it had a place and had a reason to be there. With the hunting challenges you never need to do them. You don't need money. Yes there are things to do, but the rewards aren't impactful.

Repetitive side content with little incentive is something that had always plagued the franchise. We do them because they're fun, arguably addicting. The rewards are never impact-full, but they're something we strive for because the side content are fun. If they aren't fun for you, I can understand why you found it pointless. That said, it's something that's not new in Rogue. It's been an ongoing criticism since the flags in AC1.

But cheers for the comment. Appreciate the insight.

Happy to give my opinion on things! A healthy discussion is always welcome, IMO.