PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Dead Kings can save Arno's story?(possible spoilers for DK)

dimbismp
01-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Almost everyone,including myself,were disappointed with Arno's story.
His motive felt weak,his interaction with other characters were minimal and many questions were left unanswered.But,i liked him as a character and i cared for him throughout the story,so i really hope that Dead Kings will somehow salvage the situation(Well,it has to be really good story wise,but i still hope).So:
-Do you see DK as a separate story or the continuation of ACU's?What i am trying to say is that,after some time,will you regard the two stories as one or 2 separate?
-What role will Napoleon have?I wish he was the antagonist,but the chances are slim...DK takes place in 1794,while the two of them are allies in the early 1800s,so...
-Will the 1st civ temple play a decent role?
-And most importantly,will DK answer how the hell Arno reentered the brotherhood?Maybe the end of DK is about that,and the post game of ACU takes place after DK.Also,imagine Shay appears in DK!!!!

Anyway,i am looking forward to DK,hoping for,at least,a decent DLC story.But,i fear that the 3-4 of campaign time won't help much.

marvelfannumber
01-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Did Revenge of the Sith salvage the Star Wars prequels? Nope.
Unless they make a full on Arno sequel I can't see a DLC salvaging too much of the story. Call me negative but that's just how I feel about it honestly.

Speaking of, do we know who is writing DK?
(am I the only one who keeps confusing 'DK' for 'Donkey Kong?)

RinoTheBouncer
01-08-2015, 05:51 PM
After noticing some obvious First Civ. stuff in the trailer, I think there’s a chance that it can save the ACU story which lacked all those lovely elements. I just hope I won’t be disappointed.

dimbismp
01-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Wow!
The more i think it,the more i am convinced that IFShay is the antagonist(he is after 1st civ things after all)and somehow Napoleon is involved and IF at the end Arno re-enters the brotherhood(and ACU's post game happens after that),then many ACU's plot holes would be filled,and then Arno's story would by no means be great,but at least a decent one.0% chance though.

marvelfannumber
01-08-2015, 05:55 PM
^^
Brings back sad memories of all those awesome fan theories about Unitys story that were actually way better (and made more sense) than how it actually was.

RinoTheBouncer
01-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Wow!
The more i think it,the more i am convinced that IFShay is the antagonist(he is after 1st civ things after all)and somehow Napoleon is involved and IF at the end Arno re-enters the brotherhood(and ACU's post game happens after that),then many ACU's plot holes would be filled,and then Arno's story would by no means be great,but at least a decent one.0% chance though.

It would be a very smart move to shove Shay into it. I mean why not? It was one of the most disappointing parts when I discovered that Shay isn’t part of the game, and I was eagerly waiting for that. I got both games the same day, played Rogue first to be able to see the story in chronological order, but sadly, Arno, who carried his dad’s watch throughout the whole game didn’t bother finding his father’s murderer.

Namikaze_17
01-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Also,imagine Shay appears in DK!!!!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/2f69830c599c6ec9ac2b111ff0dea501/tumblr_mym4uqlPFc1ris3g9o7_400.gif

Assassin_M
01-08-2015, 06:14 PM
I just love these statistics. "Almost everyone". Man, i'm not saying I don't believe you, i'm saying I need proof of such claim. Every time I say "Connor is not that hated", people would challenge that based on their experience but I have proof of it, otherwise i'd look weird, amiright?

Anyways, I don't agree that "Arno's story needs saving". I enjoyed Arno's story, I think there were a few missed chances of better writing but it was good overall. That and the ending. That Bishop sentence was bad. Anyways, i'm only here to say that i'm excited for Dead Kings.

m4r-k7
01-08-2015, 06:14 PM
Its not really going to be focused on Arno's story.... it looks like its focusing on new locations. I don't think it was made to add onto Arno's personal story. Hopefully it will add some cool first civ elements though.

SixKeys
01-08-2015, 06:19 PM
A DLC can't "save" a bad main story. With that said, I'm very curious about Dead Kings since it's being written by Jeff Yohalem.

dimbismp
01-08-2015, 06:35 PM
This is my theory:
Arno goes to StDenis to seek isolation,after Elise's death and everything that happened(fact).Everyone there is sacking the kings' tombs,seeking for treasures(shown in the original trailer).After a small amount of time,Arno notices french guards arriving,led by Napoleon.He confronts Napoleon about his visit,but Napoleon is really secretive.It turns out that Napoleon is funding raiders to find a first civilisation temple,beneath the cathedral(as shown in the cgi trailer)
But,what really happens is this:the raiders secretly work for Templars.Arno tails their leader and finds out he is working for a man in his late 60s/early 70s(Shay).He tells Napoleon and then both of them inflitrate the Cathedral.Shay manages to escape,though,and he also captures a PoE,which turns out to be the Shroud of Eden.He flees to Paris and Arno follows him.
Arno isn't aware that Shay killed his father,yet.But,after a massive "murder mystery" type of mission,he learns the truth and realises that Shay wants to ressurect the Sage.
So,it ends up with a huge blackbox,where Arno finds and kills Shay.He also captures the Shroud.So he is given the choice to resurrect Elise(not sure shroud can ressurect),but turns it down,because he has accepted her death and he has finally moved on.Meanwhile,the assassins have aproached him,seeking to unite with him.He accepts the offer,gives the shroud to them and THE END.

Do you like it?

GunnerGalactico
01-08-2015, 06:42 PM
This is my theory:
Arno goes to StDenis to seek isolation,after Elise's death and everything that happened(fact).Everyone there is sacking the kings' tombs,seeking for treasures(shown in the original trailer).After a small amount of time,Arno notices french guards arriving,led by Napoleon.He confronts Napoleon about his visit,but Napoleon is really secretive.It turns out that Napoleon is funding raiders to find a first civilisation temple,beneath the cathedral(as shown in the cgi trailer)
But,what really happens is this:the raiders secretly work for Templars.Arno tails their leader and finds out he is working for a man in his late 60s/early 70s(Shay).He tells Napoleon and then both of them inflitrate the Cathedral.Shay manages to escape,though,and he also captures a PoE,which turns out to be the Shroud of Eden.He flees to Paris and Arno follows him.
Arno isn't aware that Shay killed his father,yet.But,after a massive "murder mystery" type of mission,he learns the truth and realises that Shay wants to ressurect the Sage.
So,it ends up with a huge blackbox,where Arno finds and kills Shay.He also captures the Shroud.So he is given the choice to resurrect Elise(not sure shroud can ressurect),but turns it down,because he has accepted her death and he has finally moved on.Meanwhile,the assassins have aproached him,seeking to unite with him.He accepts the offer,gives the shroud to them and THE END.

Do you like it?

Nice twist. It would be cool if the main villain is actually Shay.

SixKeys
01-08-2015, 06:42 PM
The Shroud can't resurrect dead people, only heal while there's still some life in them. In ancient Rome the assassins tried to bring back Brutus (I think) with the Shroud but it was too late since he was already dead.

JustPlainQuirky
01-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Also,imagine Shay appears in DK!!!!

I want Shay to show up....but if he dies....

http://media3.giphy.com/media/4UzCGXbCViCVq/200_s.gif

Namikaze_17
01-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Nice twist. It would be cool if the main villain is actually Shay.

We see a mysterious dude with a hat that doesn't move as the henchmen attack Arno.

I doubt it's Shay though.

DumbGamerTag94
01-08-2015, 07:14 PM
I vote yes because I don't think it needs that much saving. It wasn't the greatest story but it wasn't the worst either. I think it's hindered by a few things that ticked off vocal groups in the fan base. Namely being a fairly clear anti Jacobin bias(which ticked off a bunch of people but this problem would have ticked off just as many people the other way around. With a period as controversial as the French Revolution this was unfortunately unavoidable). Also it is a love story, which doesn't sell well with macho audiences or players under the age of 17-18 years old(pissed off a lot of kids and immature people). And it also featured very little MD and negated the one MD aspect of the story at the very end(pissed of a lot of Sci Fi MD fans....which come to think of it why would you play a series if you're only interested in 10% of its content anyway???). And then there was the main issue of glitches which is the main reason everyone was upset with unity which after 4 patches it seems they pretty well fixed the game which some had previously deemed "Unplayable" and I can vouch for the patches as I have been playing the game for the past 2 weeks and it has been working wonderfully(which is something I couldn't say on release).

So I with the glitches fixed(which weren't even a story issue anyway) if someone still hates Unity(story wise) it's usually for one of the 3 aforementioned nitpicking categories. It's detractors typically belonging to the unfair Bias(which IMO is the only fair gripe among these groups) or Romance is icky/cooties, or the I want my trekky stuff camps. Or a combination of them.

Granted it's still not amazing. But It was good. I'd give it a solid 7/10. Dead Kings could possibly make it a 8-9 depending on how good it is. Only time will tell

RA503
01-08-2015, 07:55 PM
I think napoleon have a vision from the future trough the apple and because of this discover the local of the precursors temple beneath saint denis, in the ending Arno will found a shroud with the image of a man, the image merged from the shroud and revealed be Consus,he shows to Arno a vision from the future whem Juno destroys part of the humanity with a nuclear assault and the humankind don't have another salvation other tham plug themselves in helix and lives in this new reality,Consus revealed also that he is the Faher of Understanding,Ano leaves without know that this vision is on great importance to the future...

aL_____eX
01-08-2015, 08:00 PM
I don't know if they'd kill Shay in a DLC but him appearing - which isn't impossible looking at the events in both games - would be a smart move by Ubi.

RA503
01-08-2015, 08:04 PM
DLC have hints for future games, da vinci disapperance ending with a hint to a game based in america,the grandfather of connor(edward) is mentioned in TTOKW and the precursors box in fredom cry ...

marvelfannumber
01-08-2015, 08:07 PM
I really love these theories about Shay and think it would make for an amazing story.

But the something me tells me it's gonna be just like the Connor rumors for Unity. Something that would make perfect sense considering the setting and hints from the previous games, but ultimately ends up dissapointing.

Sometimes I wish Ubi would get us fans to write the games....or maybe not

(prollycuzthentherewouldbeachanceofroguebeingonlya ShayThamlovestory)

m4r-k7
01-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I still can't believe Connor wasn't even mentioned.....like honestly that was the most stupidest move by Ubisoft... I mean he is alive... he was the key figure in the major revolution before the French one.... he must have been famous... it was just stupid.

I was also expecting Shay to be the final assassination target for Arno. I thought Arno would try to investigate his own fathers death more.

Namikaze_17
01-08-2015, 08:52 PM
I still can't believe Connor wasn't even mentioned.....like honestly that was the most stupidest move by Ubisoft... I mean he is alive... he was the key figure in the major revolution before the French one.... he must have been famous... it was just stupid.

Charles Dorian mentioned Connor.

Though it's in Rogue...

And Pierre referenced him. It actually shocked me he held Connor in that light alongside Alta´r & Ezio.

Hans684
01-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Shay wants to ressurect the Sage.

Shay's not an extremist Templar, it doesn't make sense.

He also captures the Shroud.So he is given the choice to resurrect Elise(not sure shroud can ressurect),but turns it down,because he has accepted her death and he has finally moved on.Meanwhile,the assassins have aproached him,seeking to unite with him.He accepts the offer,gives the shroud to them and THE END.

The Shroud of Eden can't permanently ressurect someone, it only works for a little while.

Bastiaen
01-08-2015, 09:09 PM
I voted no. Not because I don't think that I'll enjoy it. I actually really enjoyed Unity, flawed as it is. I agree with _M, I don't think the story needs saving. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, even with the parts that failed to deliver (MD, I'm looking at you).

The thing is that this community has always been, and will always be, predominately negative after the release of each game.

It amuses me to see people hate on Unity, because I have literally watched this community hate on every AC game except for AC1. Every year it is the same, and I'm convinced that this community will never change.

AC1 got criticism for being too repetitive, difficult combat, etc, but I wasn't a part of this community at that time, so I can't really speak to how the community reacted.

People ranted about AC2 having a weak story and about the Modern day not living up to marketing promises.

With ACB it was again the story (Each game has had people rant about the story, though usually it was because they didn't get their way), the shortness of the story, and Victori agli assassini! The easy combat and the flashy outfit. People ranted about that gorgeous outfit.

ACR got the story again, but people also complained about Den Defense, a practically optional feature, and bomb crafting (which many now laud. Oh how the tides constantly change, yet pessimism is our tireless companion).

AC3 got everything from mission design to story (historical and modern), broken promises and an empty frontier. I'm so sorry that the wilderness wasn't jam packed with things to do and people to see. There are so many other things people complained about.

With AC4 it was again the story (He wasn't even an Assassin until the end), the social items (probably the most legitimate criticism for a game before Unity), and many little things. I think this was the least criticised AC game.

Rogue barely got touched, but that's probably because it got overshadowed by ACU.

And we get it. So many of you hate ACU. Yup... We get it by now. Lets move on.

While so many people consider giving up on Assassin's Creed and moving on, I just keep trying to convince myself not to give up on this community that gives AC a near religious fixation, and so when imperfection rears its head, they cry heresy and demand that we purge the apostate games from our community, meanwhile branding anyone that focuses on the positive as heretics.

Really guys? It's a game. Treat is as such. Enjoy it, or don't. If you don't enjoy it, quit fixating on it and move on.

So no, I don't think that Dead Kings can "fix" ACU's story. Nope, because the problem isn't in the story. It's us.

Hans684
01-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Nope, because the problem isn't in the story. It's us.

Deep but Bishop disagree, we didn't need to relive his life. It's a filler, his story didn't progress the story at all. It's a waste.

Asassynn
01-08-2015, 09:31 PM
I want Shay to show up....but if he dies....

http://media3.giphy.com/media/4UzCGXbCViCVq/200_s.gif

Well even if he appears in and survives Dead Kings, he is still dead within the following 20 or so years; and I don't think it would be very fun parkouring as an 80 year old Shay anyways. Personally, I think Arno killing him is the most appropriate death they could give him short of turning against the Templars after they 'slaughter innocence.'

Bleem7
01-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Now that I think of it, how awkward would it be if Arno and Shay met each other wearing the same outfits? We do have the same Shay's outfit in ACU.

Altair1789
01-08-2015, 10:38 PM
I might like Arno a lot after this. It won't save his story, but it'll redeem Arno in my eyes. Hey may end up as 3rd to Alta´r and Connor, which means a lot. Kinda off topic, but I hope Lorne Balfe is the composer for Dead Kings

emperior
01-08-2015, 11:02 PM
I have the feeling this DLC won't add anything to the main story but I'm crossing my fingers.
I hope we get to know what happens to Arno and the Brotherhood, how he gets back to the Assassins.

Hans684
01-08-2015, 11:14 PM
The only thing I expect from this DLC is that it's going to develop Arno but if it's going to make Arno relevant is another matter entirely. It's a possibility based on the trailer.

JustPlainQuirky
01-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Plot twist:

Both Connor and Shay show up. :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Plot twist:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif

Megas_Doux
01-09-2015, 12:33 AM
What is done, is done....

Yet I liked The Tyranny better than the main AC III game, so who knows.......

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Plot twist:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lih4vwSBEg1qzaxefo1_250.gif

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 12:51 AM
except its obvious no connor because noah has been in LA for the past couple months :rolleyes:

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 12:53 AM
except its obvious no connor because noah has been in LA for the past couple months :rolleyes:
Voice recording via Skype maybe? :rolleyes:

But I agree. Connor and/or Shay most likely not going to happen. Although Shay/Arno could be interesting if they didn't move on to a new protagonist.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 12:55 AM
Darby said he's not interested in Connor vs Shay but he's "just one man"

so perhaps others amongst him think its a good idea too. i hope that's the case

not necessarily a vs, but i want to see connor and shay at least meet

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 12:58 AM
I would like to see some sort of triangle with Shay/Arno/Connor even more. Since both of them seek for revenge.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 01:00 AM
"just one man"

Did he type those quotation marks too? :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 01:00 AM
Arno would be the only one seeking revenge.

Shay and Connor would both act for their respective orders.

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 01:02 AM
^ It's still kind of revenge in Connor's case in terms of Shay destroying the Colonial Brotherhood

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 01:04 AM
eeeeehhhhhh

connor wouldnt see it as vengeful

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 01:05 AM
^ It's still kind of revenge in Connor's case in terms of Shay destroying the Colonial Brotherhood
I don't think Connor would want to avenge the brotherhood, though. I mean, he was willing to make peace with the Templars and among them was Charles, whom he thought murdered his mother at the time and he didn't kill GW. Suffice to say, I don't think Connor is revenge driven. He's better than that.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 01:05 AM

That had nothing to do with Connor...

Plus Shay had good reason too. ( Plus he let Achilles live)

And Connor fixed it altogether so it doesn't matter.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 01:08 AM
now im visualizing connor and shay teaming up

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/puzzled_panther/nicholson.gif

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 01:11 AM
I don't think Connor would want to avenge the brotherhood, though. I mean, he was willing to make peace with the Templars and among them was Charles, whom he thought murdered his mother at the time and he didn't kill GW. Suffice to say, I don't think Connor is revenge driven. He's better than that.
You have a point there.

Still for me Connor was always loyal to the Creed. So there has to be some hatred for the man who tried to destroy all this. Although Connor always appeared to be calm and wise with all his actions and the things he said. I wouldn't call it 'revenge driven', it's more his way of trying to defend what he stands for.

Revenge was the wrong word, but they both have reasons to kill Shay.

That had nothing to do with Connor...

Plus Shay had good reason too. ( Plus he let Achilles live)

And Connor fixed it altogether so it doesn't matter.
I know, still Connor is THE colonial Assassin at some point, so it indirectly affects him as well.

You just spoiled whole Rogue, didn't you? :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 01:12 AM
now im visualizing connor and shay teaming up

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/puzzled_panther/nicholson.gif

Then some bull**** happens. :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 01:16 AM
You have a point there.

Still for me Connor was always loyal to the Creed. So there has to be some hatred for the man who tried to destroy all this. Although Connor always appeared to be calm and wise with all his actions and the things he said. I wouldn't call it 'revenge driven', it's more his way of trying to defend what he stands for.

I know, still Connor is THE colonial Assassin at some point, so it indirectly affects him as well.

That was a different Colonial Brotherhood under different leadership.

One that Connor rebuilt with a different ideology and such.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 01:20 AM
You have a point there.

Revenge was the wrong word, but they both have reasons to kill Shay.
Of course he's loyal. He'll combat any threat whatsoever. If Shay is a direct threat (As in, attacks the brotherhood in any way and declares war), he'll investigate and then take Shay out. If Shay is harmless, then I don't see a reason for Connor to pursue him. As of 1804, Shay would be 70 years old if he's still alive.

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 01:20 AM
That was a different Colonial Brotherhood under different leadership.

One that Connor rebuilt with a different ideology and such.
It's not the same brotherhood, but it's still the same creed, isn't it?

Anyway have to leave for today.

Of course he's loyal. He'll combat any threat whatsoever. If Shay is a direct threat (As in, attacks the brotherhood in any way and declares war), he'll investigate and then take Shay out. If Shay is harmless, then I don't see a reason for Connor to pursue him. As of 1804, Shay would be 70 years old if he's still alive.
Hmm... Shay is not only one "of those Templar d*****s" imo. He's some special case which makes me believe Connor would handle the whole thing with such calmness. He's the direct threat because of betraying everything Connor ever stood for.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 01:28 AM
@M

Shay will beat him up with a cane :rolleyes:

or maybe some PoE he found :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 01:30 AM

As an Assassin? Maybe. Personally? No.

Oops. :rolleyes:

It's not the same brotherhood, but it's still the same creed, isn't it?

Anyway have to leave for today.

Hmm... Shay is not only one "of those Templar d*****s" imo. He's some special case which makes me believe Connor would handle the whole thing with such calmness. He's the direct threat because of betraying everything Connor ever stood for.

Well...yes.

Connor should learn from Shay...they're the same in a way. :rolleyes:

GoldenBoy9999
01-09-2015, 01:40 AM
I'm usually an optimist on things, but I just don't see Shay appearing in this.

Unity and Rogue released on the same day at $60 a piece. If Shay is the antagonist of this or has a big role, a lot of people could be left out that didn't play Rogue. And this was supposed to be paid DLC originally. TOKW or FC didn't really have any big story tie ins. It was more self contained. Shay being in DK would surpass both of these DLC's in story.

And the way DK has been presented so far doesn't make me think that Shay would be in this. There weren't any hints in either of the trailers that Shay would be in it. The title and description of DK is very straightforward. I don't see them putting Shay in a short DLC that already has it's purpose. If they do, it will be a big surprise, but Ubi hasn't made a lot of surprises recently. (Time Anomalies.)

I don't see any big story revelations coming in this DLC, like TOKW and FC. Like no Connor for instance. Not with how the story of ACU was handled.

Don't misunderstand my stance though. I do think DK can correct Arno's story. As long as they can give DK a decent ending. This DLC looks like it will be all about Arno and his story, kind of like ACR, so I do think that Arno will have a good ending, and DK will be great.

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 01:41 AM
@Nami: Btw it should be 'Connor wouldn't handle the situation with such calmness'. Sorry for typo.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 01:43 AM
I don't actually think Shay is going to be in it, Golden.

Only thing interesting I see in the DLC is TOWCB stuff.

Arno coping Elise's death being the main theme doesn't interest me in the slightest.

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 01:44 AM
Arno coping Elise's death being the main theme doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Pretty sure the main story is Arno vs. Napoleon

I don't trust the First Civ hint at the end yet. Could just be a 30 second thing. edit: Not literally, but I don't think it'll be important. Hope I'm wrong.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 01:48 AM
Napoleon?

Oh so Napoleon is gonna get a PoE?

And I meant the feeling Arno has once the DLC is beaten. Like the theme of getting over crap or something.

aL_____eX
01-09-2015, 01:50 AM
Napoleon?

Oh so Napoleon is gonna get a PoE?

And I meant the feeling Arno has once the DLC is beaten. Like the theme of getting over crap or something.
Napoleon has an apple. It's known that he had it and it's hinted that he gets it in Unity.

Ah ok, yeah I agree. Although this broken Arno looks much more interesting as a character.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 01:50 AM
I don't think Shay will be in it, Golden.

But it's always good to ponder over it. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2015, 02:29 AM
A DLC can't "save" a bad main story. With that said, I'm very curious about Dead Kings since it's being written by Jeff Yohalem.

OH GAWD

He gets one more chance from me.

I voted no. Not because I don't think that I'll enjoy it. I actually really enjoyed Unity, flawed as it is. I agree with _M, I don't think the story needs saving. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, even with the parts that failed to deliver (MD, I'm looking at you).

The thing is that this community has always been, and will always be, predominately negative after the release of each game.

It amuses me to see people hate on Unity, because I have literally watched this community hate on every AC game except for AC1. Every year it is the same, and I'm convinced that this community will never change.

AC1 got criticism for being too repetitive, difficult combat, etc, but I wasn't a part of this community at that time, so I can't really speak to how the community reacted.

People ranted about AC2 having a weak story and about the Modern day not living up to marketing promises.

With ACB it was again the story (Each game has had people rant about the story, though usually it was because they didn't get their way), the shortness of the story, and Victori agli assassini! The easy combat and the flashy outfit. People ranted about that gorgeous outfit.

ACR got the story again, but people also complained about Den Defense, a practically optional feature, and bomb crafting (which many now laud. Oh how the tides constantly change, yet pessimism is our tireless companion).

AC3 got everything from mission design to story (historical and modern), broken promises and an empty frontier. I'm so sorry that the wilderness wasn't jam packed with things to do and people to see. There are so many other things people complained about.

With AC4 it was again the story (He wasn't even an Assassin until the end), the social items (probably the most legitimate criticism for a game before Unity), and many little things. I think this was the least criticised AC game.

Rogue barely got touched, but that's probably because it got overshadowed by ACU.

And we get it. So many of you hate ACU. Yup... We get it by now. Lets move on.

While so many people consider giving up on Assassin's Creed and moving on, I just keep trying to convince myself not to give up on this community that gives AC a near religious fixation, and so when imperfection rears its head, they cry heresy and demand that we purge the apostate games from our community, meanwhile branding anyone that focuses on the positive as heretics.

Really guys? It's a game. Treat is as such. Enjoy it, or don't. If you don't enjoy it, quit fixating on it and move on.

So no, I don't think that Dead Kings can "fix" ACU's story. Nope, because the problem isn't in the story. It's us.

I couldn't agree more. You guys already said what was on my mind, so I digress. Regarding the poll, the story doesn't need saving, so I'm not going to vote.

harsab
01-09-2015, 02:43 AM

What? Jeff Yohalem?

He wrote FC3, AC2 & Brotherhood. My favorite stories in gaming. This will be extremely exciting if this is true.

Where did u find out this information?

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 02:52 AM
AC2
That was Corey. Jeff wrote the Glyphs, though.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 02:54 AM
He wrote Brotherhood.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/4f473dca404f3c0de3e92941ccba3505/tumblr_nh2nbc8vgS1u4cfhoo1_500.gif

harsab
01-09-2015, 02:57 AM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/4f473dca404f3c0de3e92941ccba3505/tumblr_nh2nbc8vgS1u4cfhoo1_500.gif

He did write brotherhood though? why the fed up Haytham gif? Lol

unless your implying the story was bad, which i will strongly disagree with, but yeah whatever lol.

harsab
01-09-2015, 02:58 AM
That was Corey. Jeff wrote the Glyphs, though.

Oh i thought he co wrote the story with May...that's interesting he wrote the glyphs though hope this DLC will have something similar.

Altair1789
01-09-2015, 03:09 AM
Oh i thought he co wrote the story with May...that's interesting he wrote the glyphs though hope this DLC will have something similar.

Well according to the AC2 wiki, he was a co writer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_II

TAKE THAT NAMI

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 03:12 AM
Well according to the AC2 wiki, he was a co writer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_II

TAKE THAT NAMI
it's referring to the Glyphs.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 03:33 AM
TAKE THAT NAMI

It was originally quoted AC2 & Brotherhood.

But I remembered he didn't write AC2 and erased it.

But he was co-writer so I guess that counts.

YOU HAVE WON THIS DAY ASSASSIN!! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Ah, it was the Glyphs, Okay.

auditorevita
01-09-2015, 04:16 AM
A dead kings can't save a main story.

Only changing the main story of the ACU
This is the only way to save the ACU.

You guys have already given up the story of ACU.

_ protest to UBI now
_ UBI be change the story of ACU.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 04:22 AM
A dead kings can't save a main story.

Only changing the main story of the ACU
This is the only way to save the ACU.

You guys have already given up the story of ACU.

_ protest to UBI now
_ UBI be change the story of ACU.
UBI be change the story of ACU !!!

UniteUnderPower
01-09-2015, 06:12 AM
As much as I really want to like Arno, in all due seriousness he reminded me way too much of Ezio. He looked the same and even acted quite the same. I found myself deeply invested in the love story part of the plot though and really was connected to Elise as a character. I just wish there would have been more. I'm really hoping Dead Kings will have a great plot line.

I-Like-Pie45
01-09-2015, 06:15 AM
In order to save Arno's story, we need something new that has never been tried before in Assassin's Creed.

Therefore, cannibalism is the natural way to go.

The bulk of Dead Kings should be focused on Arno's quest to locate Elise's body in order to consume it so that he may digest her so she can be with him as a part of him forever. This would be a bold, unprecedented move and would win awards for its daring and symbolism.

dimbismp
01-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Pretty sure the main story is Arno vs. Napoleon

I don't trust the First Civ hint at the end yet. Could just be a 30 second thing. edit: Not literally, but I don't think it'll be important. Hope I'm wrong.
I think that the cgi trailer(as always) is misleading and that ArnovsNapoleon cannot happen and i'll tell you why:

DK takes place in 1794.But,we know Arno and Napoleon are allies in the 1800s,due to the coop mission taking place at that time and the fact that they entered the temple together to fing Germain' body.So,i cannot see how in 4 hours of gameplay,they can become enemies and besties again.

auditorevita
01-09-2015, 01:34 PM
You guys still have hope ,but you guys are wrong , please understand this fact .

When you guys were finish the dead Kings , You guys will despair

Please think about it calmly.

_protest to UBI now
_UBI be change the story of ACU.

RzaRecta357
01-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I hope it fixes it. I truly don't mind it as it's more a personal story but it needed those loose ends tied up and some Shay. Maybe they're saving him for another game.

SixKeys
01-09-2015, 06:17 PM
In order to save Arno's story, we need something new that has never been tried before in Assassin's Creed.

Therefore, cannibalism is the natural way to go.

The bulk of Dead Kings should be focused on Arno's quest to locate Elise's body in order to consume it so that he may digest her so she can be with him as a part of him forever. This would be a bold, unprecedented move and would win awards for its daring and symbolism.

Obviously he should start with her feet.

SixKeys
01-09-2015, 06:27 PM
What? Jeff Yohalem?

He wrote FC3, AC2 & Brotherhood. My favorite stories in gaming. This will be extremely exciting if this is true.

Where did u find out this information?

Don't forget Child of Light! :)

People give Yohalem a bad rap for ACB's story, which was admittedly simplistic, but keep in mind it was originally designed as just an add-on for AC2, then suddenly expanded into a full game which had to be completed within a year. The whole thing with Cesare could have been condensed into just one or two sequences, but Yohalem had to write a 10-hour story around it.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 08:20 PM

People give Yohalem a bad rap for ACB's story, which was admittedly simplistic, but keep in mind it was originally designed as just an add-on for AC2, then suddenly expanded into a full game which had to be completed within a year. The whole thing with Cesare could have been condensed into just one or two sequences, but Yohalem had to write a 10-hour story around it.
In the past, I may have criticized him a lot but I never really thought he was anything but a great writer. Child of Light has an amazing script, there's the glyphs in AC II and heck, as much as I think Brotherhood is simplistic, I still thought the script was solid. He also managed to tie the story and EVERY bit of side content really well, which made for a really contained AC experience.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 08:27 PM
I thought Child of Light had a lot of forced limricks or whatever they're called and it came off as extremely cheesy

but that's just me

Hans684
01-09-2015, 08:47 PM
A sequel have better chance of saving him than a season pass.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 08:50 PM
A sequel have better chance of saving him than a season pass.

oh god pls no.

pls drop sequels for new gen.

just give characters closure in 1 installment, DLC, and novel/short film.

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2015, 08:51 PM

Child of Light is part of the reason why I'm skeptical. Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Child of Light, his work just aren't proper Assassin's Creed material, IMO. Don't get me wrong, FC3, B, CoL, they aren't poorly written. They're fun, clever, consistent, and very engaging, but they lack the depth of what I want in traditional ACs.

But maybe he'll prove me wrong in Dead Kings. It wouldn't be the first time Unity have surprised me. I'm more than happy to give the guy another shot. I mean, as you said, the guy had to make use of very little material and with short time. Dead Kings remains a DLC, so perhaps he'll deliver. :p

Bastiaen
01-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Jeffrey Johalem is a werid topic for me. I enjoyed ACB's historical story well enough, but it wasn't truly great. However, I absolutely loved the MD in Brotherhood. I think it was the best MD that we have had and the reason why MD has been disappointing since then.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 09:22 PM
I say disregard who the writers are and just lower your expectations.

Writers can screw up or surprise you in a positive way.

But if you keep your hope low, you'll only have room for pleasant enjoyment rather than disappointment.

Hans684
01-09-2015, 09:29 PM
oh god pls no.

I agree, I don't want a sequel for him but a sequel has a better chance to save Arno, so far he's irrelevant.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 09:36 PM
I wonder if Unity's reception influenced any changes in Dead Kings. Not major ones since it obviously has been in development for a while but like tweaks or something here or there.

SlyTrooper
01-09-2015, 10:02 PM
oh god pls no.

I agree with you to an extent. But if Dead Kings was a full Arno sequel, I would actually be very interested in it. It clearly is trying to change Arno's character & I think that's much more interesting.

SlyTrooper
01-09-2015, 10:03 PM
I wonder if Unity's reception influenced any changes in Dead Kings. Not major ones since it obviously has been in development for a while but like tweaks or something here or there.

Well hopefully it influenced them to make guards less omniscient.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Arno does look cooler in dead kings

but he was talking about getting over Elise and i was just like aaauuuughhhh

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Arno does look cooler in dead kings

but he was talking about getting over Elise and i was just like aaauuuughhhh
That's not the only thing he talks about.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 10:17 PM
there was the one part he contemplated why brotherhood kills and fate but then talks about letting go of the past or being secluded and being wounded and im just like hnghh

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Hopefully he's more dark and stuff like how Connor was in TOKW. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Connor was dark in TOKW?

I thought he was just horribly confused :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Connor was dark in TOKW?

Yeah, he started to become more lustful and greedy.

A contradiction to him in AC3.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 10:36 PM
eehhhhhhh?

I dont remember that.

ill relook at it but i dont think he changed much

Alphacos007
01-09-2015, 10:36 PM
I don't think Unity's story can be saved with a DLC, but I really hope at least Arno's one can.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 10:39 PM
there was the one part he contemplated why brotherhood kills and fate but then talks about letting go of the past or being secluded and being wounded and im just like hnghh
France's wounds may be healing but mine only fester.
I can hide here and forget.
Is this who we kill for?
Or was it all for someone else again?
Fate brought me here for a reason
Perhaps it's time i let go of the past and took a leap of faith.

It's equal, Quirky. He talks about his wounds and contemplates his role equally. You're just focusing too much on what you don't like.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 10:40 PM
eehhhhhhh?

I dont remember that.

ill relook at it but i dont think he changed much

His greed when he didn't let Kani drink the tea.

Maybe Lust was the wrong word... ^__^

He also was more cynical and less naive as seen by his interactions.

But yeah, rewatch it sometime. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 10:41 PM
was that greed?

thought he was just trying to protect him

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 10:43 PM
was that greed?

thought he was just trying to protect him

Well yes and no.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 11:11 PM
France's wounds may be healing but mine only fester.
I can hide here and forget.
Is this who we kill for?
Or was it all for someone else again?
Fate brought me here for a reason
Perhaps it's time i let go of the past and took a leap of faith.

It's equal, Quirky. He talks about his wounds and contemplates his role equally. You're just focusing too much on what you don't like.

I never said that is all arno talks about, it just irritates me when he brings it up

the other half I am indifferent to.

yes, im pointing out what I don't like.

nothing wrong with that.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 11:18 PM
I never said that is all arno talks about, it just irritates me when he brings it up

the other half I am indifferent to.

yes, im pointing out what I don't like.

nothing wrong with that.
Perhaps, I just feel like you exaggerated its prominence in the trailer.

From my view, I dislike romantic stories BUT I don't want them to just ignore it. It's called consistency and promises to be the best progression for Arno yet.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Perhaps, I just feel like you exaggerated its prominence in the trailer.

From my view, I dislike romantic stories BUT I don't want them to just ignore it. It's called consistency and promises to be the best progression for Arno yet.

I just feel arno and elise's relationship developed too much behind close doors so i am not invested in their relationship or the two characters whatsoever

Arno probably has his reasons for mourning her but im so detached i just dont sympathize with him

especially since others suffered far worse and got over it

yes characters deal with tragedy differently but...hnghhh....

if it's gonna emphasize the tragedy of a loss then at least make that loss feel like it impacted you

thats just how i feel

i mean i wasnt too attached to ACIV's characters but the ending still made me burst into tears

but elise is just......ehh........

but like i said that's how i experienced it and does not represent everyone's experience

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 11:37 PM
I just feel arno and elise's relationship developed too much behind close doors so i am not invested in their relationship or the two characters whatsoever

Arno probably has his reasons for mourning her but im so detached i just dont sympathize with him

if it's gonna emphasize the tragedy of a loss then at least make that loss feel like it impacted you

thats just how i feel

i mean i wasnt too attached to ACIV's characters but the ending still made me burst into tears

but like i said that's how i experienced it and does not represent everyone's experience

On the contrary, he looks like it impacted him in my opinion.

He now looks more rugged and plain broken.

He just doesn't have the perseverance or dedication like the others to get over it as fast.

SixKeys
01-09-2015, 11:39 PM
He also managed to tie the story and EVERY bit of side content really well, which made for a really contained AC experience.

This is still the best thing about ACB. No other game has made all the side content connect to the main story in such a natural way. Although AC4 came close.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 11:40 PM
On the contrary, he looks like it impacted him in my opinion.

He now looks more rugged and plain broken.

im not disagreeing with that

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 11:43 PM
im not disagreeing with that

Well I don't understand...

SlyTrooper
01-10-2015, 12:02 AM
I swear Shay is the only character who has matured & not grown a beard. Altair did it. Ezio did it. We never got a Connor sequel, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did too (although isn't there something that stops natives growing beards?). Edward did it. Now Arno has done it. What's with beards representing maturity?

JustPlainQuirky
01-10-2015, 12:04 AM
I make my own facial hair

SlyTrooper
01-10-2015, 12:13 AM
I make my own facial hair

You have to 'cause you're a girl. I'm a manly man, so I can grow facial hair whenever I want. Not right now, though, because I just shaved. :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
01-10-2015, 12:14 AM
I swear Shay is the only character who has matured & not grown a beard. Altair did it. Ezio did it. We never got a Connor sequel, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did too (although isn't there something that stops natives growing beards?). Edward did it. Now Arno has done it. What's with beards representing maturity?

Shay in the CGI Trailer had facial hair.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140901000727/assassinscreedbr/pt/images/9/95/Tumblr_namczlbYFy1rmfzd9o1_400.png

^ And darker hair as well.

And Native American thing is a myth I think...

Here's Connor with it:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rMS3_txX1-Q/UEgCk1Ha_zI/AAAAAAAAACY/j-0kZfOm3YA/xl_Assassins-Creed-3-Connor-Hero-624.jpg

SlyTrooper
01-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Shay in the CGI Trailer had facial hair.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140901000727/assassinscreedbr/pt/images/9/95/Tumblr_namczlbYFy1rmfzd9o1_400.png

^ And darker hair as well.

And Native American thing is a myth I think...

Here's Connor with it:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rMS3_txX1-Q/UEgCk1Ha_zI/AAAAAAAAACY/j-0kZfOm3YA/xl_Assassins-Creed-3-Connor-Hero-624.jpg

Don't count CG or promotional imagery. It's not canon (apart from the CG at the start of Revelations).

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 12:19 AM

thats just how i feel

Sure. Like I said, I don't like Romantic stories either but I like consistency. It's good that they're sticking with it and showing how Arno will get over it. Also, I really find it disturbing when someone starts comparing tragedies. There's no "worse", it depends on the person. You may not think losing a loved one is as bad as what Ezio or Connor or Altair went through but it's a tragedy nonetheless. You don't identify with it, sure but please, don't say what's worse and what's not. Tragedy is tragedy. Elise was the only person left for Arno. She was his childhood friend and lover. Everyone he knew has died. He has no one.

In terms of impact, I think the story did quite well in showing how Elise's passing impacted Arno. He looks like hell in that trailer.

JustPlainQuirky
01-10-2015, 12:23 AM
Tragedy is tragedy.

As I conceded, people react to tragedies differently.

It's just from what we have seen, it was difficult for me to sympathize with Arno.

So a tale where Arno enters some catacombs while contemplating some character who is valueless to me does make me moan a bit.

But as you said, there is consistency in the very least.

Just a continuation of something I was never really fond of.

I'm just hoping there will be some TOWCB stuff in the very least

Namikaze_17
01-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Don't count CG or promotional imagery. It's not canon (apart from the CG at the start of Revelations).

Yeah, I was just saying as all...

But damn that facial hair looks good on both of them. :cool:

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 12:31 AM
As I conceded, people react to tragedies differently.
There was "but" and a groan afterwards, which is semantics, forgive me, but it's the only thing i'm going on.

It's just from what we have seen, it was difficult for me to sympathize with Arno.

So a tale where Arno enters some catacombs while contemplating some character who is valueless to me does make me moan a bit.

But as you said, there is consistency in the very least.

Just a continuation of something I was never really fond of.

I'm just hoping there will be some TOWCB stuff in the very least
I know, you'v made that clear, not that i'll understand how you didn't sympathize.

I think if everybody entered a game or a story treating characters about how THEY, not the protagonist, value them, no body would like anything, amiright? I mean lol, at the end of the day they're all some pixels on the screen. Obviously they're valueless to us.

JustPlainQuirky
01-10-2015, 12:32 AM
Im guessing this is how the DLC will play out:

Something 'calls for' Arno to go to Saint Denis tomb place
Arno spots napoleon hiring raiders to find PoE
Arno still contemplating Elise's death
Arno fights of raiders and finds PoE and someone from TOWCB
Some speech
Napoleon comes up and snatches PoE
Arno gets over Elise's death

If there was one problem I had with Rogue it was that the entire plot was essentially given away from it's trailer.

Since this is a DLC, it has a better excuse but I hope it has more to offer or plays out uniquely.

I think if everybody entered a game or a story treating characters about how THEY, not the protagonist, value them, no body would like anything, amiright? I mean lol, at the end of the day they're all some pixels on the screen. Obviously they're valueless to us.

eeeeeh there are some characters in videogame (including AC) narratives i genuinely invested in at an emotional level

but ofc people invest in different things

ze_topazio
01-10-2015, 12:59 AM
Still a better love story than Twilight.

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 01:17 AM
eeeeeh there are some characters in videogame (including AC) narratives i genuinely invested in at an emotional level

but ofc people invest in different things
Of course, doesn't really change my point.

JustPlainQuirky
01-10-2015, 01:23 AM
I was saying I disagree with your statement that nobody would like anything

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 01:26 AM
I was saying I disagree with your statement that nobody would like anything
But it's true, lol, there's nothing to disagree about. Fictional characters are valueless, if everybody played games looking at characters in terms of value then no one would like anything.

JustPlainQuirky
01-10-2015, 01:27 AM
how are you defining value?

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 01:29 AM
how are you defining value?
Same way anyone does? Having regard to something that holds importance to you?

JustPlainQuirky
01-10-2015, 01:30 AM
i didnt understand when you said "looking at in terms of value"

#likeIsaidIdontevenenglishsometimes

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 01:36 AM
i didnt understand when you said "looking at in terms of value"

#likeIsaidIdontevenenglishsometimes
Well, I meant that obviously if we treat fictional characters in terms of how important they are to US, we wouldn't really sympathize or like anyone, why? because these characters are unimportant to us. They're not alive, they're fictional.

I don't care for Elise, I didn't feel ANYTHING when she died. Matter of fact, I saw it coming miles away. Add to that that I don't like Romantic stories at all. That doesn't mean I did not sympathize with Arno, why? because he cared. He showed sorrow at her death and he's always lost without her. He cares for her and that was enough for me to care. Not for Elise but to see where this goes and suffice to say, I was satisfied.

Contrast that with Ezio in AC II. He was only angry and sad for a few scenes in AC II after the hanging but after that, he didn't care at all. He went back to his cool, flirty self. It did nothing to his character. If the character himself didn't care, why should I? What Elise and Ezio's family share, though is the fact that they're both valueless to me. All I need to sympathize and/or care is for the Avatar to care. Show some emotion relating to the event that happened. That's it.

JustPlainQuirky
01-10-2015, 01:43 AM
Ahhhhh ok.

I understand what you're saying.

Well, i cant explain why i felt the way I did, but I didnt care for arno's loss.

i mean especially during the times of the french revolution where everyone was dealing with loss

so im like, why do i care about arno's specifically?

yknow?

its just

maybe i cant explain it

i just didnt care

and i know thats a crap explanation and doesnt represent everyone but its like.... eh

i wasnt too fond of ziio

if connor kept bringing up ziio's death i'd probably groan too

but he mainly keeps to himself

im not saying arno doesnt have reason to upset. of course he does.

just....i find arno mourning elise rather bland. reasonable, but bland/predictable/simple and it doesnt help i find elise and arno both dull as characters. so thats why i dont like that possibly being a major theme in the DLC even if it makes sense for arno to be that way

does that make more sense? :c

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 01:46 AM
does that make more sense? :c
I'll take it. Thank you for explaining.

dimbismp
01-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Some a little bit offtopic questions:
-How many blackbox(assassinations) do you think here will be?1?2?Or maybe none?
-I heard DK will take 8 hours.I suppose this is main missions+coop+side quests.So,will the makn story take approximately 4 hours,like FC?

harsab
01-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Also as we can see in the weapon menu on ACU we unlock a sword called The Eagle Of Suger i wonder if there is any correlation with first civ site? Hmmmm.

If u google the Eagle Of Suger some interesting results come up.

dimbismp
01-10-2015, 08:21 PM
http://youtu.be/_9bTOUspouE

1:22