PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on AC:Unity

Dr--Strafe
01-08-2015, 07:34 AM
I am an avid fan of the Assassins Creed series amd have finished every one to date except for Unity. It was almost impossible to not notice how many bad reviews and the reception for this game was. I understand that there have been 4 patches to date so far for the game and was wondering after the 4th patch is it worth it to try and pick up this game?

I also see a lot of comments regarding the story and how bad it is. Does it have any real connection to the past games? I know they went as far to change the Animus to the Helix and what not. Another thing to note is that I will be picking this game up for less than $35, so in it's current state would you buy the game having played it? Thanks.

PandaPuff86
01-08-2015, 08:11 AM
It doesn't matter what other people say. If u want to know if its good or not, just get the game and judge it for yourself. If u really care about all the negative reviews then rent it.

Assassin_M
01-08-2015, 08:23 AM
You saw opinions that got you worried, so you're asking for other opinions? Come now.

Rent it for yourself, if you're so worried. No one can ever think for you.

HDinHB
01-08-2015, 08:46 AM
If you're an avid fan that has played all the other games, I don't think you have a choice :).

It's not that the story is bad, there's just not much flesh to it. It probably has less connections to previous games (no one is someone else's father or grandfather) than any other, but there are Assassins and Templars. They couldn't have less modern day without removing it entirely, but at least you aren't a walking tablet picking up sticky notes and reading old emails.

I didn't have all that many problems before patch 4, an almost none since. There are occasional issues in co-op, but that may be as much due to network issues as game bugs.

If you're an obsessive completionist, you mayhate Initiates and even more the companion app. I would avoid that if you can--there is nothing in there you need. And there are the excessive number of collectibles, but at least there aren't any Animus fragments.

I think you still get the Dead King's DLC included if you buy it now, so that's a bonus.

Moreover, the game is just beautiful. The first time you synchronize from atop Notre Dame is breathtaking. And several times after that. The sunlight streaming through stained glass windows, the teeming crowds, all the British people. You can almost smell the horsecrap. And the Eiffel Tower is awesome.

It's far from perfect, but which AC game is perfect? Would I play $35 to play it? Absolutely. And as an avid fan, i think you have to, too.

Ureh
01-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Well I haven't played it yet. I've heard what most people have been saying about it... the good, the bad, the awesome, the not-so-awesome.... Knowing all that, will I still get it?

You can bet I will.

I've played a bunch of flawed games and still enjoyed the heck out of them (do I really need to name names?!). I can tell right off the bat that Unity is one of them. A great game with great flaws. I enjoyed the original AC immensely and it didn't have all that fancy co-op, companion apps, Initiates, customisation, etc. It's a huge shame that they don't work and were included in the game in their current state but I can totally enjoy the game without them. Bugs and glitches, framerate drops? AC1 still has them too! Everytime I fire up AC1, I'm guaranteed to get the giraffe-neck glitch and afterwards the game crashes completely.

But I also see Paris, I can feel the parkour, the combat, the stealth, and I can hear the sounds and music. Those are what truly matter.

So after you've seen some gameplay vids (the real ones from fans like you and me), and taking into consideration all the things you might've heard (which are probably true), just ask yourself... can you enjoy a game like that?

HDinHB
01-08-2015, 09:10 AM
I've played a bunch of flawed games and still enjoyed the heck out of them (do I really need to name names?!).

Skyrim?

Unity Day One wasn't as bad as fully patched Skyrim.

Fatal-Feit
01-08-2015, 09:51 AM
It's a great game, I'd pick it up at that price. Hell, I've spent 200+ dollars on it and I'm not dissatisfied.

As an avid AC fan who've spent countless hours on each title, I can safely say that Unity is a solid sequel. If we were to break it down by elements of story and gameplay, components by components, and compare it to other games, Unity is substantial. The only problem I have is that it's plagued by anti-consumerism. Not only is it an unfinished product that's poorly optimized on every platform, it has half-baked microtransation, ubicollectibles, tonnes of DLCs, a near broken companion app that locks a ton of content (you can't get 100% without completing it either), a website (Initiates) that also locks content, etc, etc. These things can really break a game for some people.

Dr--Strafe
01-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I was more concerned with the game being playable and the impact of the patches, not someone deciding for me, as that is what had me the most worried. The story was just something I was wondering about seperately from my purchase situation. I got my answer.