PDA

View Full Version : How the Assassin's Creed games are numbered exactly?

Mr_Stunner
01-08-2015, 05:29 AM
How the Assassin's Creed games are numbered exactly? Is there any logic in it, or it's just random?

My best explanation is that only gimmick/filler games have subtitles whilist the "Normal" games have number.
AC, ACII and ACIII all seemed regular Assassin's Creed games.
Then we have ACIV BF, which was a mix between regular game and the pirate/naval combat gimmick (and filler Modern Day IMO), that's why it took both number and subtitle I guess...
Then AC Brotherhood had the multiplayer gimmick, AC Revelations had the play with both Ezio and Altair gimmick, AC Rogue the play as templar gimmick and AC Unity the co-op gimmick...

So if I'm right we might have an AC V on a near future with a full-fledged Modern Day and more regular characters/gameplay.

guardian_titan
01-08-2015, 06:12 AM
There was once a logic to the name scheme but it went out the window when Desmond died in AC3 although Brotherhood and Revelation don't really make much sense, either. AC4 started the main downfall of the naming scheme, though. AC1 and AC2 are the only two that make sense. ACB was supposed to be DLC for AC2 before being turned into a full game. Don't recall on ACR but think that was supposed to be a handheld game or something before being made a console game. As to why neither have the AC2 main title and just use a subtitle ... Ubisoft being coy perhaps? Or they just forgot to rename the games.

After AC3, everything starts to fall apart. The numbers were supposed to signify new assassins (not gimmicks), but then why wasn't ACU ACV? When you think about it, Liberation should have been AC4 because that had a new assassin, too, although that was originally released on Vita before it came out on other platforms. Guess Aveline was insignificant to Ubisoft and didn't deserve her own number. Then Freedom Cry was also eventually released separate so that should have been AC6 (Black Flag being the true AC5). Ubisoft's apparent excuse was that numbers would confuse people ... although that falls flat given how many Final Fantasy games there are. Same with movies like the Rocky series and even Star Wars. Guess Ubisoft didn't want Assassin's Creed to be seen like Final Fantasy or they think people can't read roman numerals past IV.

Technically, AC5 should have been ACU (or rather AC7) because Arno was another assassin. It's not likely Ubisoft is going to return to the number scheme again lest they confuse people although they already have by ditching it with a new main protagonist. If they go back to numbers, then they should rename Unity as AC5: Unity ... or whatever never that game really is.

Cute tidbit, but Liberation was originally named Assassin's Creed III: Liberation despite featuring a completely different assassin from AC3. Once it came out on other platforms, the III got dropped. So renaming isn't impossible. In that case, Unity would have been ACV: Unity, Rogue would have been ACV: Rogue, and Freedom Cry should have been ACIV: Freedom Cry. But of course if it makes sense, they won't do it. But that also doesn't play nice with the new number = new assassin rule they supposedly had (which didn't even make sense when it was stated because of AC3 and Liberation). Going with a rule like new number = new era doesn't make sense, either. Shay and Arno may overlap but their main stories are in different time frames. Arno and Shay also overlap with Connor and Aveline. New number = new location doesn't work, either. Rogue overlaps with part of AC3 and Freedom Cry overlaps technically with AC4.

Honestly, just forget the numbers at this point. Ubisoft has. They make no sense anymore and it's not worth the headache to figure out what Ubisoft's thinking when they decide how they name and market their games. What naming rules they had got thrown out the window. If you want to keep the games in order, best you can do is look at the copyright dates on the games or look up their release dates online. It's more of a headache than it's worth to try to figure out how each game is named. There is no logic to it anymore.

HDinHB
01-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Here's some logic:

Each of the numbered games represents a different ancestor of Desmond. ACB and ACR are sequels to AC2, but we still play as Ezio, so they don't get a new number. In AC3, we actually play two ancestors of Desmond, but it only gets one number, because it would be really confusing to have one game with two numbers. AC4 was a new ancestor, but they really wanted to emphasize the pirate aspect, so it got it's own subtitle too (which caused some controversy). In ACU and Rogue we do not play as ancestors of Desmond (apparently), so they don't get numbers at all. I think it was too confusing with two games coming out at once, so they just dropped numbering altogether.

For a while, they gave the in-game Animus software (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Animus) a version number consistent with the game number, up through AC3 I think.

Ureh
01-08-2015, 06:22 AM
How the Assassin's Creed games are numbered exactly? Is there any logic in it, or it's just random?

My best explanation is that only gimmick/filler games have subtitles whilist the "Normal" games have number.
AC, ACII and ACIII all seemed regular Assassin's Creed games.
Then we have ACIV BF, which was a mix between regular game and the pirate/naval combat gimmick (and filler Modern Day IMO), that's why it took both number and subtitle I guess...
Then AC Brotherhood had the multiplayer gimmick, AC Revelations had the play with both Ezio and Altair gimmick, AC Rogue the play as templar gimmick and AC Unity the co-op gimmick...

So if I'm right we might have an AC V on a near future with a full-fledged Modern Day and more regular characters/gameplay.

The first game doesn't have a number in the title.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/Assassin's_Creed_cover.png

VoldR
01-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Lets arrange them and see if it makes sense...
AC
AC: Bloodlines
AC II
AC: Brotherhood
AC: Revelations
AC: Embers (short film)
AC IV: Black Flag
AC: Freedom Cry
AC: Rogue
AC: Liberation
AC III
AC: Tyranny of King Washington