PDA

View Full Version : No Grappling Hook Please

DRascal
01-08-2015, 01:51 AM
If the rumors are to be believed in the next AC, the one set in London, there will be a new gear item. The grappling hook, I could not think of a worse idea are they trying to make our assassins into Spiderman. He can already climb up walls, has a special sense, as of Unity shoots his signature weapon out of his wrist, now they are going to have him swinging through the air with the greatest of ease!!

All joking aside I don't like the idea of the grappling hook because assassins get around with their skill and agility, I like freeclimbing walls I don't want to be using a rope, and swinging and jumping from rooftop to rooftop using agility and beams and bars is more like the assassin way to me. Next it will be a range weapon for pulling enemines in, "get over here" sound familiar? Didn't they learn from he hookblade? At least the hookblade still seemed like something an assassin would wear even though I do not think it was used much.

I am a die hard hardcore AC fan I have all the games and all the figurines and statues so of course I will continue following the franchise, but I don't want to see another idea instituted witout real thought about what the game really is about, like the mini game HQ battles. (Revolution I think) Please UBI don't just brainstorm new stuff up and throw it in stick to the formula. I love new things , the parcour was awesome, better than I thought it would be and crowd events, loved it, but mystery solving when did the assassins become Sherlock Holmes.

Anyway ehough with my rant though this probably won't make it to the right folks and even if it did wouldn't change things I just wanted to say my piece.

Please UBI no grappling hook keep the new stuff coming but be sure it fits into the franchise not just whats new.

Altair1789
01-08-2015, 02:26 AM
I doubt you'll use it in a spiderman-ish way. I think we can't say much about it with what we've seen. Who knows, maybe we can only use it inside a building with a certain type of ceiling, maybe it's like a rope dart+. Either way, I'd be willing to bet it won't replace parkour

Deezl-V
01-08-2015, 05:06 AM
How about if you don't like it, don't use it. Problem solved.

mikeyf1999
01-08-2015, 05:20 AM
Didn't realize grappling hook = spiderman
Now I know that when use one I'm my favorite superhero. Anyways, say "does get over here" sound familiar, have you NOT SEEN THE ROPE DART?

GoldenBoy9999
01-08-2015, 05:37 AM
It's not a rumor, there's an image from Kotaku that shows it, and there's details on it. I doubt it's going away. I'm going to wait and see how it's implemented. It could go either way for me.

HDinHB
01-08-2015, 05:46 AM
I've wanted a grappling hook forever, before hook blades or rope darts. I was disappointed to see grappling hooks in Black Flag only to find there were only used for boarding ships. I'm certain it will be implemented in a way that will only enhance the gaming experience. Well, reasonably confident. Well, hopeful.

Ureh
01-08-2015, 06:10 AM
I don't think you need to worry about grappling hook replacing the parkour... I feel that parkour will still be the main form of navigation.

The grappling hook looks like an essential tool for any Assassin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9_340xqeU

marvelfannumber
01-08-2015, 06:32 AM
First of all, we have no clue how it works yet as we only have one vague screenshot of it.
Secondly just because it is a grappling hook does not mean it will just be Spider-Man as I can think of several clever ways they can use it to enhance navigation.

Lastly even if it is like Spider-Man, what's the problem exactly? Spider-Man 2 was the best thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8ZhKgieTw

HDinHB
01-08-2015, 06:35 AM
I didn't play Chronicles, so I didn't know:

The grappling hook was a tool used by Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad in his search for the Chalice.
In 1190, Rafik gave Alta´r the grappling hook, allowing the Assassin to traverse gaps and chasms, as well as pull enemy guards towards him, allowing him to deal the final blow.

Grappling hook at ~50 seconds. Feel the awesomeness?

http://youtu.be/S6IuIEvcbNo?t=50s

http://youtu.be/S6IuIEvcbNo?t=50s

mikeyf1999
01-08-2015, 06:35 AM
First of all, we have no clue how it works yet as we only have one vague screenshot of it.
Secondly just because it is a grappling hook does not mean it will just be Spider-Man as I can think of several clever ways they can use it to enhance navigation.

Lastly even if it is like Spider-Man, what's the problem exactly? Spider-Man 2 was the best thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8ZhKgieTw
Best swinging in spiderman was Web of Shadows hands down

marvelfannumber
01-08-2015, 06:38 AM
Best swinging in spiderman was Web of Shadows hands down

Web of Shadows was pretty good, but it still didn't have quite the right movement and friction that Spider-Man 2 had. Web of Shadows definetly had the best combat by far though, but now I am getting off-topic so I should probably stop.

VoldR
01-08-2015, 09:39 AM
When i hear grappler I think more of ninjas and batman, not spidey

I'd like to think that rope farts grapple in AC4 & Victory are all drafts for a possible ninja assassin in the future. :)

Cornik22
01-08-2015, 12:11 PM
I don't see the problem. If it was awesome in the Arkham games and Just Cause 2, why should't it be in Victory?

Fatal-Feit
01-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Aveline used the rope dart like a grappling hook in Liberation and there was nothing wrong with it.

Aphex_Tim
01-08-2015, 03:02 PM
I'm not to keen on the idea of a grappling hook either. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the climbing and unlimited stamina but having our Assassin use a grappling hook like some ancient-time Indiana Jones or Batman is a bit too much for me. I'll have to wait and see how it's implemented but if Liberation's horrible whip swinging is anything to go by, I really don't have high hopes...

dargor5
01-08-2015, 03:13 PM
As long as they dont make you use it Im fine with that, like the skill on unity that lets you disguise as an enemy, I think is mayor immersion breaker so I never used it and havent had the need to

DumbGamerTag94
01-08-2015, 03:44 PM
I don't think the grappling hook will make you spider man. Think of the practical uses for one. First and foremost in my mind is bridging gaps over large streets. Essentially making your own tight rope/clothes line instead of having to move up and down the street searching for one(a problem that has been present in every AC game). I also highly doubt you'll be able to endlessly spam them and swing about the city like spidy. Most likely and more realistically it will be a 1-2 shot weapon used for bridging and for swinging from one ledge to another in a chase. Also since it is the 1800s and not 2015 there would be no electronic/automated retraction system like batmans bat hook in the arkham games that lets you zip around everywhere. Instead technology will leave a grappling hook as a grappling hook actually is(a hook that secures a rope that then just dangles there for you to climb or swing)instead of that cartoon BS that makes them seem like magic teleportation devices.

So calm down people. I don't think there's much to worry about. If anything I'm convinced this is the most practical assassin tool added ever.

Namikaze_17
01-08-2015, 04:00 PM
I don't think the grappling hook will make you spider man. Think of the practical uses for one. First and foremost in my mind is bridging gaps over large streets. Essentially making your own tight rope/clothes line instead of having to move up and down the street searching for one(a problem that has been present in every AC game). I also highly doubt you'll be able to endlessly spam them and swing about the city like spidy. Most likely and more realistically it will be a 1-2 shot weapon used for bridging and for swinging from one ledge to another in a chase. Also since it is the 1800s and not 2015 there would be no electronic/automated retraction system like batmans bat hook in the arkham games that lets you zip around everywhere. Instead technology will leave a grappling hook as a grappling hook actually is(a hook that secures a rope that then just dangles there for you to climb or swing)instead of that cartoon BS that makes them seem like magic teleportation devices.

So calm down people. I don't think there's much to worry about. If anything I'm convinced this is the most practical assassin tool added ever.

This.

GoldenBoy9999
01-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Very nice, Bmark. I like that idea.

m4r-k7
01-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Yup, like Bmark says it will allow you to cross the large streets without touching the ground or looking for a tight rope. Its a good idea.

marvelfannumber
01-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Yup, like Bmark says it will allow you to cross the large streets without touching the ground or looking for a tight rope. Its a good idea.

It's funny because I actually suggested a grappling hook before Unity came out when I was arguing with someone about a Great Depression AC game. I also gave it similar mechanics....If these games weren't all made at the same time I would sue.

SixKeys
01-08-2015, 06:32 PM
They already did something similar in Liberation, so it's not exactly a new idea. I don't like it though (didn't like it in ACL either), it feels too fantasy-like for AC. I'm also worried because the eagle power in ToKW was basically like a grappling hook and the controls were so terrible I struggled to finish the second episode.

JustPlainQuirky
01-08-2015, 06:50 PM
don't worry OP, it'll be extremely contextual.