PDA

View Full Version : The problem with the Modern Day lore.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-07-2015, 02:23 PM
As we all know for the last few games we've been playing... well us in these games. We've been the modern day protagonist, if you can even call it that. Even though the 'us' is different from each game.

I saw a post saying that they preferred the modern day now to the Desmond saga because we get more lore. Which is true and I see where they're coming from.

The problem is though that we never actually experience any of this lore. We never see the events with our own eyes. The presentation of the modern day lore has just been written text. It's all fine and dandy to read about this stuff, but we want to actually see it in action. If we just wanted to read it we'd go visit the AC Wiki.

For example in Rogue there is a recording of some shootout at the French or Italian Brotherhood headquarters if I remember correctly. It was cool to hear it and everything, but I want to be a part of it. I want to be an Assassin in that shootout, defending the headquarters. This is why I liked the Desmond saga more than what we have now. Even though there was less lore at the time, we were actually out there doing stuff, making a change in the world. We were doing things that progressed the lore in the franchise. We had a face we could connect to.

So in short the problem is that instead of being out in the world experiencing the lore, we're just reading it through database entries.

It just makes it extra saddening because the lore itself is so interesting, and they have such a huge potential to make these games so unbelievably good, but they're wasting it away by giving us modern days like Unity. Really? 2 cutscenes?

Honestly I just think why can't we have both. Keep animus database entries for the modern day stuff like in AC4, but give us an actual character as well. A face, a name, a visual representation, just anything at all. That way we can have the best of both worlds.

What do you guys think. Would you rather have it like AC4 and ACRo where you have lots of lore that you read and hear about or would you have it like in AC3 where you play as a character in the world doing stuff.

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
AC was planned, if successful, as trilogy of games with historic protagonists in three different periods. But since money talks and BS walks, the "filler" games of Brotherhood and Revelation were made however AC III was still the closure of desmondīs saga.

Thing is, they dont know what to do with the modern day anymore and annualization does not help in terms allowing them to come up with something new in both gameplay and story.

RADAR__4077
01-07-2015, 04:12 PM
I think the md actually made unity worse. It contributes NOTHING and I hate hearing bishop tell me to consider a heist mission "training."

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Yea I heard about that. I think it was going to be something like this:
AC1 - Altair in Third Crusade. Desmond locked in Abstergo. Comes to terms with Assassin vs Templar struggle.
AC2 - Desmond escapes, receives training via bleeding effect. Meets assassin buddies. Play as Ezio Auditore in Renaissance Italy.
AC3 - Modern Day Desmond game.

I think that's how it goes.

I just want to see another 3rd person protagonist again. Hell they already have the PERFECT character for it. Galina Voronina

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-07-2015, 05:04 PM
I think the md actually made unity worse. It contributes NOTHING and I hate hearing bishop tell me to consider a heist mission "training."

I think they think that by giving us what they are they can try please both types of people (those who love and those who hate MD). Problem is, what they're giving us isn't pleasing both sides, it's frustrating both sides.

For those that hate MD it's still incredibly intrusive and jarring.
For those that love MD it's so poor and minute that it's almost not even worth being there anymore.

I think the best solution would be to just make it completely optional. Like in the menu screen have a 'leave animus' option. For those that are only there for the historical part they never have to touch modern day, but for those who enjoy the modern day content create an open space for the modern day protagonist to play in. Hell you could even give some minor side activites, like instead of fort infiltrations give Abstergo infiltrations or something. Maybe you have to break into an Abstergo building stealthy and steal some software or information or something... anything!

They have so much potential but they aren't using it.

I have fears that this series will end without another 3rd person protagonist. It's a shame because the concept of this series in terms of lore and story is actually incredibly unique and interesting and wouldn't ever really be replicated.

UKassassinsfan
01-07-2015, 05:42 PM
I agree with the OP. I think a combination of AC3 and 4 would be good... If I had the option to hack or infiltrate abstergo buildings (watchdogs style mission) I could hack and learn the lore from 4. It could offer lore for those who like to indulge or even in game boosts like an armour or weapon just so people have a tangible incentive to do them. Whilst I like the idea of it being optional, eventually we will have to leave, the modern story at the end of the day is the reason we even travel back in the first place. I would like for us to get another Desmond figure, not someone we can customise, I don't want it to be ME, I want a character I grow to love or hate! Don't force people to have to collect data and other such things but if it's optional and improved with the story (being given higher access in 4).
I was a minority who enjoyed being Desmond, so 4 and especially unity have been disappointing for me. Whilst I like learning the lore, it should be in the game, not something I have to read if I want it, feels!

Hans684
01-07-2015, 05:49 PM

The historical part made Unity's MD worse, we relive memories for different reason and the historical part is supposed to progress and contribute to MD but in Unity it doesn't. Bishop even said we don't need to relive Arno's memories, his story did nothing to progress the story.

JustPlainQuirky
01-07-2015, 06:58 PM
So in short the problem is that instead of being out in the world experiencing the lore, we're just reading it through database entries.

It just makes it extra saddening because the lore itself is so interesting, and they have such a huge potential to make these games so unbelievably good, but they're wasting it away by giving us modern days like Unity. Really? 2 cutscenes?

Agreed.

I think the solution would be to have more stuff like the intro to Unity where you play as characters in significant events full of lore

SixKeys
01-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Agreed.

I think the solution would be to have more stuff like the intro to Unity where you play as characters in significant events full of lore

^ This. Unity's beginning was amazing. Having more sequences like that in different timelines (ACR style) would probably be really demanding though.