PDA

View Full Version : Most appealing assassins to the most people?

UKassassinsfan
01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
So I was thinking, which assassin do you think appeals to the most people. Not your personal favourite (my favourites were ezio or Connor) but I think that the most appealing has to be Edward or ezio! What do you think makes a particular assassin more popular on a wide scale than others? I don't imagine anyone is going to say Arno but if you do I'm happy to listen to reason!
Anyway what do you guys think?

Fatal-Feit
01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Mary Sues

UKassassinsfan
01-07-2015, 12:55 PM
I'd even accept your opinion if you say Desmond or shaun etc. although I'm doubting they appeal to the most people

Fatal-Feit
01-07-2015, 01:08 PM
The people want Mary Sues. They hate characters with flaws. After observing the community for so long, I've come to that conclusion.

UKassassinsfan
01-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Who is Mary Sues? She isn't the woman from the audio tapes in BF is she?

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Who is Mary Sues?

A Mary Sue or, in case of a male character, Gary Stu is an idealized character, often but not necessarily an author insert and/or wish-fullfillment.
---

But to answer your question, what appeals to most people is that character that makes you feel like a Boss.

Forget character development and everything else, if they make you feel "powerful" then they're good. ^__^

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Is this even a question????

Connor in the forums.
Ezio everywhere else.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-07-2015, 03:42 PM
"This kind" of thread again? :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 05:04 PM
As Fatal finely put it, it's the power fantasy. People don't care about development or character arcs. Ezio is popular because he's powerful. He's a boss. He ALWAYS wins. He never loses, it's why people disliked Revelations so much. It's the only game that portrayed Ezio with mistakes and flaws. He was human for the first time since his inception. I repeat, Ezio showed NO change in the main game of AC II. His character was carried by the story, as it drifted, he followed. It's not supposed to work that way. The avatar is supposed to question direction, try and take the story in his own direction, not passively follow it. it makes for a weak character.

Lets take Altair. His story dictated that he had to kill 9 targets to get his honor back, that was his call to adventure. Of course, every protagonist has their own way of responding to the call. Some accept it quickly, some refuse it first and some accept it after argument. Doesn't matter. Back to the direction. The 9 targets. Does the direction plainly carry Altair? Nope. Altair starts doubting. It carries him at first. For the first couple of targets, he lets the vehicle of the story move on but then he it becomes too much to ignore, all these cryptic words. He tells the car to stop. No more hunting. I have questions, answer these questions. His arguments with his mentor heat up until they reach a climax where Altair stops asking for answers and demands them instead, prompting Al-Mualim to almost kill him. That moment is the last stop before the end and I supposed it should be clear where this is going.

Ezio, on the other hand, is a passive passenger in the vehicle of his story. The questions he asks don't pause the vehicle but are questions that are answered as the vehicle moves along. Even worse, we never go back to these questions until the last 15 minutes of the story. Being an Assassin, the Codex pages and their importance. Oh but we're TOLD that Ezio would search his uncle's library for answers. We're told that. in the middle of a training session. Where we have to read instructions AND EVERYTHING Mario said can be skipped if we finish the session early. Right. That's what Ezio is like as a passenger in his vehicle. He's the most passive passenger with no action. List of names? Go kill, yes. List of more names? Go kill, yes. Along the way, there's nothing different about Ezio, which makes sense because change only comes about if the vehicle ride is extraordinary AND you're a dynamic passenger who looks out the window, at least.

A character like Ezio would have been MUCH less popular if he was in a different medium. A cartoon for example. Why? Because he's not power fantasy in a non-interactive medium. (I may sound repetitive) He's the Goku, the John Cena. Those powerful heroes who always rise up somehow and win in the end. Who's more popular than them? Vegeta and CM Punk. Why? Because they're MUCH better characters with actual development, dynamics and layers but they're always thrown to the side in favor of the heroes. It's just the way it works. And people simply have to accept that. I have seen various threads on various forums talking about how they miss feeling like a boss and feeling like a badass because the series, story-wise, has been about tragic characters who lose a lot on the way to their "victories". Connor, Edward and Arno and before someone tells me that Ezio lost his family and love, just a 5 minute loss compared to the overall victories he accomplished. The girl? He found another one and married and had kids. His family? He was surrounded by loyal friends and still had his sister and mother and uncle.

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 05:13 PM
A character like Ezio would have been MUCH less popular if he was in a different medium. A cartoon for example. Why? Because he's not power fantasy in a non-interactive medium. (I may sound repetitive) He's the Goku, the John Cena. Those powerful heroes who always rise up somehow and win in the end. Who's more popular than them? Vegeta and CM Punk. Why? Because they're MUCH better characters with actual development, dynamics and layers but they're always thrown to the side in favor of the heroes. It's just the way it works. And people simply have to accept that. I have seen various threads on various forums talking about how they miss feeling like a boss and feeling like a badass because the series, story-wise, has been about tragic characters who lose a lot on the way to their "victories". Connor, Edward and Arno and before someone tells me that Ezio lost his family and love, just a 5 minute loss compared to the overall victories he accomplished. The girl? He found another one and married and had kids. His family? He was surrounded by loyal friends and still had his sister and mother and uncle.

Comparing John Cena to Goku?????? Come on!!!! Cena is heavily polarized within his business whereas Goku is the most beloved manga/anime character ever. And no way Vegeta is more popular than Goku also.

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Comparing John Cena to Goku?????? Come on!!!! Cena is heavily polarized within his business whereas Goku is the most beloved manga/anime character ever. And no way Vegeta is more popular than Goku also.
We know for a fact that Cena is polarizing because we hear the reaction he gets every single week. Go to any poll on the internet and you'll find the reaction to be about the same with Goku and Vegeta. Goku is popular, no doubt about it but he's not as popular as Ezio, especially when compared to others. Ezio is ALWAYS the clear cut winner in any poll on the internet. EVERYWHERE, no competition. Everyone is trailing in the 1000s while Ezio is in the 4000s back on the AC wiki.

It's not as clear cut with Goku and Vegeta

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 05:21 PM
And no way Vegeta is more popular than Goku also.

This depends on what fan you ask really...

Same with Naruto & Sasuke

Steve Austin & The Rock

List goes on...

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 05:45 PM
We know for a fact that Cena is polarizing because we hear the reaction he gets every single week. Go to any poll on the internet and you'll find the reaction about the same with Goku and Vegeta.

You can say Vegeta is better or that you like it more as a character, that is debatable because I have had TONS of those. But in terms of popularity there is NO contest, to every non anime/manga fan every anime/manga character is somehow called "Goku". After all he is the protagonist and we have followed most of his life in what it is the most popular manga/anime ever in the world with the exception of Japan.

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 05:52 PM
there is NO contest
Like I said, there actually is. Proof for that is everywhere. YT comments, forum polls, wiki polls. I'v never been to a place where Goku was COMPLETELY popular.

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 06:02 PM
I just saw Namikaze_17 comparison of Goku/Vegeta with Naruto/sasuke. Thing is Sasuke and Naruto´s screen time is much closer than Vegeta/Goku. We saw both Naruto and Sasuke grow together, whereas is true that Vegeta came to stay for sure, you have to remember there was a HUGE chunk of Dragon Ball story in which Vegeta was not there...

PD My all time favorite "era" of Dragon ball is when Goku was a child, bringing down the Red Ribbon Army and King Piccolo stand really high as childhood memories to me. I like Z of course, the Frieza arc is brilliant, Cell/boo are cool but not that good and GT plain stinks with the exception of the ending.

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I just saw Namikaze_17 comparison of Goku/Vegeta with Naruto/sasuke. Thing is Sasuke and Naruto´s screen time is much closer than Vegeta/Goku. We saw both Naruto and Sasuke grow together, whereas is true that Vegeta came to stay for sure, you have to remember there was a HUGE chunk of Dragon Ball story in which Vegeta was not there...

True...you do have a point there.
----

I like Dragonball too. Really simpler compared to Z. :rolleyes:

GunnerGalactico
01-07-2015, 06:26 PM
PD My all time favorite "era" of Dragon ball is when Goku was a child, bringing down the Red Ribbon Army and King Piccolo stand really high as childhood memories to me. I like Z of course, the Frieza arc is brilliant, Cell/boo are cool but not that good and GT plain stinks with the exception of the ending.

I agree with this. It was only after that, I lost my liking for DBZ.

Gohan and Future Trunks are my favourite characters.

VestigialLlama4
01-07-2015, 06:27 PM
So I was thinking, which assassin do you think appeals to the most people. Not your personal favourite (my favourites were ezio or Connor) but I think that the most appealing has to be Edward or ezio! What do you think makes a particular assassin more popular on a wide scale than others? I don't imagine anyone is going to say Arno but if you do I'm happy to listen to reason!
Anyway what do you guys think?

Popularity is hard to measure.

The best selling game of the franchise is Assassin's Creed III whose protagonist is ''supposedly'' the least popular. Did Connor appeal to as many people as Ezio? In terms of numbers(and comparing solely AC2 to AC3) probably but the fact is he appealed to different sets of people, while the ones who liked Ezio certainly gravitated to Haytham.

If by "most people", you mean "gamers", than the answer is Ezio, Haytham and Edward largely because they carry the fantasy of white male privilege.

Ultimately, I don't think the characters and assassins matter. It's the setting that counts. Like Black Flag would have done well purely because its the Pirate Game we've all been dreaming of for some time. Ezio's charm works partly because he's so much a part of that rich historical setting and he gets to hang out with Leonardo and Machiavelli.

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 06:30 PM

And Bardock to add to that list for me.

Sure, he might've had short screen time, but he was cool to me. :cool:

GunnerGalactico
01-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Oh yes, I like Bardock too. :)

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Popularity is hard to measure.

The best selling game of the franchise is Assassin's Creed III whose protagonist is ''supposedly'' the least popular. Did Connor appeal to as many people as Ezio? In terms of numbers(and comparing solely AC2 to AC3) probably but the fact is he appealed to different sets of people, while the ones who liked Ezio certainly gravitated to Haytham.

If by "most people", you mean "gamers", than the answer is Ezio, Haytham and Edward largely because they carry the fantasy of white male privilege.

Ultimately, I don't think the characters and assassins matter. It's the setting that counts. Like Black Flag would have done well purely because its the Pirate Game we've all been dreaming of for some time. Ezio's charm works partly because he's so much a part of that rich historical setting and he gets to hang out with Leonardo and Machiavelli.
People also tend to forget that Connor won a user-voted award.

SixKeys
01-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Since this has turned into a DBZ discussion, Ezio is basically that guy in the AC universe going "you haven't even seen 10% of my popularity yet!".

GunnerGalactico
01-07-2015, 06:46 PM

For a universally hated character, that was quite surprising :rolleyes:

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Ezio makes ANY top 5 and even 3 of "best/most popular characters" poll of the previous generation with ease; gamesradar, Kotaku, IGN just to name a few. He is most "featured" AC character within and without the franchise; Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Soul Calibur, the pretty famous "Michael" add and such. No other AC character is even close to that and no! Ezio is NOT my favorite Assassin.....

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Since this has turned into a DBZ discussion, Ezio is basically that guy in the AC universe going "you haven't even seen 10% of my popularity yet!".
Ehhhhh, they almost always say 50%. What we see is the 10%

I know, right? Such universal hate. I bet it was pity that drove people to vote for him, so it doesn't count.

Ezio makes ANY top 5 and even 3 of "best/most popular characters" poll of the previous generation with ease; gamesradar, Kotaku, IGN just to name a few. He is most "featured" AC character within and without the franchise; Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Soul Calibur, the pretty famous "Michael" add and such. No other AC character is not even close to that and no Ezio is NOT my favorite Assassin.....
Ignoring that those articles are not really user voted, Anyone who questions Ezio's popularity is delusional, to be honest

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 06:52 PM

I read that in Ezio's voice. :p

JustPlainQuirky
01-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Ezio

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I agree with this. It was only after that, I lost my liking for DBZ.

They are REALLY good, my favorite is this:

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/son-goku-as-a-child.jpg

The first Dragon ball whereas nowhere as epic in terms of fighting as Z , is better written -to me- and has that sense of exploration and adventure latter Z lacks and GT fails at. Training under Roshi, clumbing Korin tower, taking down the Red Ribbon Army and meeting Kami are highlights to me.

JustPlainQuirky
01-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Most loved to least loved

Ezio
Edward
Altair
Haytham

The rest :rolleyes:

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-07-2015, 07:07 PM

Nah, that proved he wasn't really as hated as people thought he was. The haters speak louder than the praisers anyway in just about anything :rolleyes:

He beat Master Chief for goodness sake :p

SixKeys
01-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Ezio
Edward
Altair
Haytham

^ No lies detected.

ze_topazio
01-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Being a protagonist of a super popular franchise tends to help.

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 07:14 PM

Ezio
Edward
Altair
Haytham

I agree.

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Being a protagonist of a super popular franchise tends to help.
Of course, lets overlook that Halo, Max Payne and Hitman are also super popular, yet their protagonists lost to Connor. Lets also forget that Connor won that award in February 2013. The height of unpopularity for the AC franchise, supposedly, right? AC III was badly received and all that jazz.

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 07:20 PM

Ezio
Edward
Altair
Haytham

You're not lying. :rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
01-07-2015, 07:20 PM
The awards weren't games-centric, when they say it was voted on by a million people that includes votes for best boyband, hottest actress etc...

It may not be as prestigious award as it seems - but it's something. Connor is undeniably the most disliked protagonist, but he has a large section of fans too. Polarizing is the right word, he's neither universally hated or widely popular.

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Polarizing is the right word, he's neither universally hated or widely popular.
Indeed. if Connor was a wrestler, he'd come out to a chorus of both boos and cheers.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Of course, lets overlook that Halo, Max Payne and Hitman are also super popular, yet their protagonists lost to Connor. Lets also forget that Connor won that award in February 2013. The height of unpopularity for the AC franchise, supposedly, right? AC III was badly received and all that jazz.

I just edit my post to add that he won over Master Chief. lol

Like I said before, the naysayers speak louder than the praisers.

It may not be as prestigious award as it seems - but it's something. Connor is undeniably the most disliked protagonist, but he has a large section of fans too. Polarizing is the right word, he's neither universally hated or widely popular.

Agreed.

Megas_Doux
01-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Indeed. if Connor was a wrestler, he'd come out to a chorus of both boos and cheers.

Ezio = The Rock.
Connor = Cena.
Arno = one of the Adam Rose party friends haha.

And you broke my heart M, comparing Cena to Goku =(

Shahkulu101
01-07-2015, 07:29 PM

Wrestling ghey lel

By the way M, me and Frost were playing some co-op yesterday and were wondering what your PSN is...

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Wrestling ghey lel
It's an art.

By the way M, me and Frost were playing some co-op yesterday and were wondering what your PSN is...
YaGa7sh199. (Do not mind the girl in the avatar there, my brother uses it to troll people)

Ezio = The Rock.
Connor = Cena.
Agreed, very accurate. Arno's the bunny.

It's just character, They're both super strong who always train and never give up and come out on top in the end. I like Goku way more than i'll ever like Cena. Goku's my childhood, man.

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Ezio = The Rock.
Connor = Cena.

Post of the day. :cool:

And Goku is miles ahead of Cena.

---

Look at us, we sound like children. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Er, Connor's not Cena...that's insulting to him.

He's more like Randy Orton. :rolleyes: :p

aL_____eX
01-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Ezio = The Rock.
Connor = Cena.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/32cc72baeec247fc2b65f08d0c1da1c2/tumblr_nf6103cuJH1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Assassin_M
01-07-2015, 07:57 PM
EDIT: Er, Connor's not Cena...that's insulting to him.

He's more like Randy Orton. :rolleyes: :p
It's more about the reactions they get, than anything....or are you saying Orton because most of the cheers he gets are from females?

GunnerGalactico
01-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Another derailed thread. I will admit, I was part of it too :p

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 08:04 PM
It's more about the reactions they get, than anything....or are you saying Orton because most of the cheers he gets are from females?

Oh, Okay.
----

Well now that you mention it... :rolleyes:

ze_topazio
01-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Were you people just now equating Dragon Ball to Wresting? do I need to go to your houses and slap you all to your senses?

Namikaze_17
01-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Were you people just now equating Dragon Ball to Wresting? do I need to go to your houses and slap you all to your senses?

What's better to you? :rolleyes:

ze_topazio
01-08-2015, 01:05 AM
One is a classic that changed a genre and inspired people all over the world, the other is a bunch of men doing some really fake looking battles in some kind of tournament where nobody respects any rule.

Namikaze_17
01-08-2015, 01:11 AM
One is a classic that changed a genre and inspired people all over the world, the other is a bunch of men doing some really fake looking battles in some kind of tournament where nobody respects any rule.

Ah, I see. :rolleyes:

I-Like-Pie45
01-08-2015, 01:13 AM
wrasslin's not so ghey when its two hot chicks doing it

mikeyf1999
01-08-2015, 05:33 AM

Ugh. THAT character

Doesn't matter if it looks fake (doesn't even matter it is), in the end they put their bodies on the line (and some have even lost their lives because of it).

I-Like-Pie45
01-08-2015, 05:44 AM
dats just darwinism in action