PDA

View Full Version : AC Unity SLI Hiccups

ledbetterman
01-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Hey everyone,

Just picked up the game on Steam sale. Playing the game, I get beautiful 60+ fps with one bizarre exception. At regular intervals, the game will hiccup- as in it stalls for a moment and then cloth/hair bounce everywhere. This happens every 5 seconds or so and is so jarring it makes the game more or less unplayable. It is especially noticeable during cut-scenes. It drops the frame rate below 20 fps when it happens.

Disabling SLI remedies the problem completely. Obviously doing so sets my frame-rate ~35 fps, which is unacceptable considering the amount of money I've put into my rig. I've tried the fix found here on the steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/624074858812666917/ , which does not work.

I've tried decreasing my resolution and setting the graphics options to low. I've tried Uplay in offline mode. None of these resolve the rhythmic hiccup that occurs every few seconds when running an SLI configuration.

Does anyone know of any fixes to this issue? Is Ubisoft recognizing this problem with SLI users? Thanks for any help you can give.

Update:
Just tried using a single GPU at 1080p resolution with adaptive v-sync on. It was a stuttering mess. Clothes still popped every few seconds with visible stutter. Turning SLI back on at 1440p resolution ,with g-sync was a markedly better experience, but with the same stutter. It's hard to pin-point the origin of the issue, but it definitely needs to be resolved.

My Specs:
GTX 780 Classified in 2-way SLI
16gb Ram
520gb ssd
I7-4790k @4ghz

Current AC Unity settings:
2560x1440
High Environment
High Shadows
SSAO
MSAA x2

brotherofmetal
01-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Hey everyone,

Just picked up the game on Steam sale. Playing the game, I get beautiful 60+ fps with one bizarre exception. At regular intervals, the game will hiccup- as in it stalls for a moment and then cloth/hair bounce everywhere. This happens every 5 seconds or so and is so jarring it makes the game more or less unplayable. It is especially noticeable during cut-scenes. It drops the frame rate below 20 fps when it happens.

Disabling SLI remedies the problem completely. Obviously doing so sets my frame-rate ~35 fps, which is unacceptable considering the amount of money I've put into my rig. I've tried the fix found here on the steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/624074858812666917/ , which does not work.

I've tried decreasing my resolution and setting the graphics options to low. I've tried Uplay in offline mode. None of these resolve the rhythmic hiccup that occurs every few seconds when running an SLI configuration.

Does anyone know of any fixes to this issue? Is Ubisoft recognizing this problem with SLI users? Thanks for any help you can give.

My Specs:
GTX 780 Classified in 2-way SLI
16gb Ram
520gb ssd
I7-4790k @4ghz

Current AC Unity settings:
2560x1440
High Environment
High Shadows
SSAO
MSAA x2

Yeah, same issue. And I cannot turn off SLI due to nVidia Surround.

I hate to say it, but I can almost guarantee you that this will never get fixed. I can also guarantee you that I won't be buying their games again.

strigoi1958
01-05-2015, 03:07 AM
I repeat this on so many forums but even the Geforce forum is full of problems about SLI and games. I think Nvidia should make an extreme driver for high end systems with up to quad SLI gaming cards.

I truly believe that drivers are not getting the most performance out of Nvidia's best customers simply because the same driver that runs quad titan z systems....needs to run a $50 gt250 card.

MAD52
01-05-2015, 04:34 AM
I also have a classified sli of 780 but ti. Same hiccups. Also a lot of tearing problems after 1.4 patch. Running at 2560x1600 with FXAA instead of 2X MSAA. And High shadows, everything else to the max.

ledbetterman
01-05-2015, 05:55 AM
@brotherofmetal- For the sake of both of us, I hope you're wrong, friend :) This isn't the way to handle the user base willing to spend top dollar on hardware. I didn't pay the money I did to have this game run as if it were installed on a 3 year old computer.

@strigoi1958- I hope they're able to put out a new set of drivers soon. Or perhaps collaborate with AC devs on resolving the SLI-centric problem. It's ridiculous that we even have to put with this.

@MAD52- Did you have a chance to play with just patch 3? I wonder if the new patched introduced the hitching. I bought the game post patch 4, so I wouldn't be any the wiser. You'd think after 4 patches the game would be in stable condition...

tushaar
01-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I confirm the same problem and its the only reason why the game is unplayable for me.

... BUT

It doesnt occur with SLI only, SLI on or off for me - doesnt make a difference
Running
GTX 770 Dual with 347.09 drivers

I dropped SLI at start because of the 1.4 patch flickering issue,

But the 4-6 second interval hiccups remain, and its IMPOSSIBLE to play like this, the camera rotates immensely during those hiccups
Although, I dont get them at start for some weird reason. The hiccups begin when im either starting a new mission, going to menu to equip my character, or whatever other bigger loading screen.

Tried all sorts of Nvidia panel fixes , nothing helps.

Empyrium1
01-05-2015, 03:33 PM
i have exactly the same issue after getting my second GTX 970 and also on Ubisoft games only for some reason and i tried different versions of drivers didnt fix anything

strigoi1958
01-05-2015, 03:36 PM
AS Tushaar has stated it happen in single GPU setups as well

BlackLord049
01-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Same issue here.
+ flickering textures with SLI on.
I'm waiting for a new patch... (I've finished the game before installing update 4).

ledbetterman
01-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Same issue here.
+ flickering textures with SLI on.
I'm waiting for a new patch... (I've finished the game before installing update 4).

Did you find the stuttering less noticeable while playing with Patch 3?

daveb6429
01-05-2015, 11:21 PM
SLI on my rig is great, No glitches at all.

Running 2 X EVGA 780 SOC on a single monitor @ 1080p

Enviro Quality Ultra

Texture Ultra

Soft Shadows

A O HBAO+

FXAA

Bloom Off

V-Sync on

Get a perfect 60fps without a single issue. Is really nice to play the game.

Recently updated the drivers and still no issues at all.

If I turn the AA up it does start to stutter but really no need to as the setting above are perfect for me.

Running on a core i7 4790K @ 4ghz, 16gb ram and a asus z97 pro wifi and a Samsung evo 250 ssd.

I did have frame stutter issues when I was running with a raid 0 stripe but got rid of that.

TBH I haven't had a single unfixable issue from release date to today other than the companion app.

ledbetterman
01-06-2015, 01:55 AM
SLI on my rig is great, No glitches at all.

Running 2 X EVGA 780 SOC on a single monitor @ 1080p

Enviro Quality Ultra

Texture Ultra

Soft Shadows

A O HBAO+

FXAA

Bloom Off

V-Sync on

Get a perfect 60fps without a single issue. Is really nice to play the game.

Recently updated the drivers and still no issues at all.

If I turn the AA up it does start to stutter but really no need to as the setting above are perfect for me.

Running on a core i7 4790K @ 4ghz, 16gb ram and a asus z97 pro wifi and a Samsung evo 250 ssd.

I did have frame stutter issues when I was running with a raid 0 stripe but got rid of that.

TBH I haven't had a single unfixable issue from release date to today other than the companion app.

Interesting... we have almost identical specs, except I'm suffering from the constant lag spikes. Would you mind sharing your Nvidia Control Panel/Nvidia Inspector settings? What patch version are you running? Do you play in full screen/windowed mode? What driver version do you use?

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe we can trace down why you're getting superior performance so that we might all get the same ;)