PDA

View Full Version : The Tournament

Hrafnagud72
01-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Is Ubisoft serious with this coop mission? With their joke of a parkour system it's next to impossible to collect all the flags. I refuse to play with other people. I have replayed the mission several times but cannot get all the flags in time. Anyone struggle with this?

Hans684
01-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I used to struggle with it, my only advice is that you don't give up.

LeeroyGearSolid
01-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Why refuse to play with other people? Its most fun imo.

Hrafnagud72
01-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Why refuse to play with other people? Its most fun imo.

In your opinion it is fun. In mine it is not. I don't enjoy playing with other people. And I hate even more being forced into playing with other people.

D.I.D.
01-04-2015, 04:32 PM
It's a weird mission. Beating it with co-op partners is extremely easy, but co-op flies in the face of everything the mission claims to be about (selecting one ultimate winner to meet the general).

It's possible to beat it solo, but it's very hard. The only way to beat it is to figure out all the things that look possible but are not (and, conversely, things that are possible but look like they should not be). Do not attempt to climb poles with rings attached - it cannot be done. Certain wire-to-wire jumps work and others don't - do not expect logic or your eyes to play a part in figuring this out. Collection of flags is very poorly handled - you can often collect a flag that is below your feet when you stand on top of the frame in which it hangs, but you might need to wiggle your movement to make it happen, while the slide over/under object control will often make the wrong choice (i.e. the flag is hanging under a waist-high structure, and your character vaults it instead of sliding).

This thread will soon fill up with smug people pretending that it's easy, who will refuse to admit that it's actually a poorly designed level for which the winning strategy emerges as a result of operant conditioning. I love Unity, I love difficulty in games, and I love refining my tactics over time to defeat seemingly impossible odds, but this level takes the piss.

HeJePi
01-04-2015, 04:54 PM
I never manage to go thru' that one ... but I will try again sooner or later.

By the way, does playing co-op directly implies that you must have a PS+ account ?
In other words: Do you have to pay ?

Cheers,
JP

rrebe
01-04-2015, 04:56 PM
I never manage to go thru' that one ... but I will try again sooner or later.

By the way, does playing co-op directly implies that you must have a PS+ account ?
In other words: Do you have to pay ?

Cheers,
JP

You need PS+ subscription to play multiplayer.

Hrafnagud72
01-04-2015, 05:07 PM
While we are on the topic of bad coop design, doesn't anyone else feel that the sync points are exceedingly dumb? They distract entirely from the mission. And I would imagine playing with other people and suddenly they are running off to collect sync points would be extremely annoying.

Jackdaw951
01-04-2015, 05:18 PM
In your opinion it is fun. In mine it is not. I don't enjoy playing with other people. And I hate even more being forced into playing with other people.

Yeah, it's the forced part that gets me. I'm not as averse to it as you, but I prefer games like this solo, and I'm not fond of playing with crapshoot randoms. Nothing of substance should ever be locked behind online multiplayer--nothing.

bitebug2003
01-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Three things bother me about this mission.

1. The flag course design is too compact and cluttered and you can't exactly call it parkour as there is very little of it - and it's sudden start, stop, turn, climb etc nature just adds to the frustration

2. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150103020922_zps652f7224. jpg Arno sinks into the ground before I've even started (happened many times)

3. Despite reaching the checkpoint at the start of the flag course it wouldn't allow me to resume from where I left off after I quit the game -- solo -- that's quite bad - considering the part before it took a while.

No more co-op/multiplayer in AC -- it adds nothing to the game.

This makes me not want to bother playing this game anymore.

D.I.D.
01-04-2015, 07:34 PM
I agree with your points about this mission, but...

No more co-op/multiplayer in AC -- it adds nothing to the game.

This makes me not want to bother playing this game anymore.

... I'm so much against this. I've had some of my best AC moments from the whole series in co-op, and this is coming from a person who could never get on with the old AC deathmatch MP.

I've had two-player missions going so tightly, with no verbal communication between us, where we naturally divided our tasks and weaved in and out of each other's gameplay. At the end, I've sometimes wished there was some way we could swap video capture of each other's playthrough, so I could see what they were doing while I was running my side. I had pretty low expectations of the co-op, but I'm very impressed with this first attempt and I'd love to see where it can go next with a bit more care.

I sometimes have good four-player games too, but it's usually because of just one or two other players in the team. Four tends to feel like overkill, diluting the action too much, and I suspect that it aggravates the occasional bugs too. If they can pare it down to 2-3 player missions, and have the guts to jettison the ones that aren't working, co-op could even become my favourite part of the game.

Barrndawg
01-04-2015, 08:02 PM
I tried the flag part solo and got I think it was around 29 flags before time ran out. Extremely frustrating, but I did with other people so now I don't have to worry about it.

I kind of wish that the flags were in a linear path instead of collecting one and four more around it pop up on the map in different locations. Oh well

SearStingray157
01-05-2015, 03:46 AM
This is the only mission I played as co-op, all other missions I played as single player. I spend more than an hour on the flag event as single player, before I got too frustrated and gave up. When I joined a co-op, it was really simple - but unfortunately, the other players did not care for stealth or sync points (it was pretty much a 'go as fast as you can and kill everything that moves - kind of mission). So I'm missing the remaining sync points for this mission, and I do NOT want to go back and attempt it as single player again, so I will not reach 100% in the game.

I really think they should have allowed for additional time when in single player mode.

HDinHB
01-05-2015, 04:05 AM

No one is forcing you... you don't even have to play the mission. If you choose to go solo, there a several solo videos you can watch and see how it is done.

Here's one that collects all the flags and doesn't even do it most efficiently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94Psy9_VgM

This is the only mission I played as co-op, all other missions I played as single player. I spend more than an hour on the flag event as single player, before I got too frustrated and gave up. When I joined a co-op, it was really simple - but unfortunately, the other players did not care for stealth or sync points (it was pretty much a 'go as fast as you can and kill everything that moves - kind of mission). So I'm missing the remaining sync points for this mission, and I do NOT want to go back and attempt it as single player again, so I will not reach 100% in the game.

I really think they should have allowed for additional time when in single player mode.

You can go back and collect the sync points without collecting the flags again.

Hrafnagud72
01-05-2015, 04:06 AM

Yea. I finally gave up and played coop. Unfortunately it took me 3 times to get through it in coop. The first team after collecting the letter to get in, all went running around doing who knows what. I was standing on the podium alone waiting for them so we could start the tournament for literally 15 minutes before I quit. The sesecond try we got to the fight and letting down the 4 flags part. It glitches. None of the soldiers would fight us and we could only put down 3 of the 4 flags. After wandering and trying to get the last flag down for a good 10 minutes I quit. The third time we got through it but yes, they were just running everywhere hacking and slashing.

If it were you, play it again on coop and let the rest of the team do the mission while you collect those stupid sync points.

SixKeys
01-05-2015, 04:14 AM
When the mission works properly and you've got a good team, it's a fun mission. Unfortunately it's one of the buggiest in the game, so it's a crapshoot every time whether or not one or more of you is going to end up glitched out and forced to restart. I don't like to play it often.

SearStingray157
01-05-2015, 05:14 AM
You can go back and collect the sync points without collecting the flags again.
Nice, I had no idea. I collected the remaining sync points in less than 5 minutes :)

HDinHB
01-05-2015, 05:21 AM
Nice, I had no idea. I collected the remaining sync points in less than 5 minutes :)

:) You can do that in most missions, unless there is a time or distance constraint (like Infernal Machine). In those cases, you have to get past that part, then you can free roam.

Fatal-Feit
01-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Every time I have a squad, there's always that one guy who requests the Tournament and it mucks up the entire thing. :(

Hrafnagud72
01-05-2015, 05:54 AM
No one is forcing you... you don't even have to play the mission. If you choose to go solo, there a several solo videos you can watch and see how it is done.

If you want certain legendary gear, you are forced to play online with other people. So yes, multi-player is very forced in this game.

EmptyCrustacean
01-05-2015, 11:40 AM
When the mission works properly and you've got a good team, it's a fun mission. Unfortunately it's one of the buggiest in the game, so it's a crapshoot every time whether or not one or more of you is going to end up glitched out and forced to restart. I don't like to play it often.

Horribly buggy mission. Had to restart it about 6 or 7 times.

bitebug2003
01-05-2015, 08:45 PM
I bit the bullet and played this mission 3 times online

Difficulty decreased to 1/10

Although the first part is nigh impossible to do it in stealth - and frankly why should you bother when there is zero consequence for going all out.

There are just TOO many guards in the first part (true for most co-op missions) to the point it gets annoying having the yellow awareness icon pop up no matter what you do.

The same is true for the heist missions -- seriously there just TOO many guards - even single player missions the amount of guards is staggering.

And TOO MANY guards with guns!!!
I have died more times from a gun in AC Unity than in any other AC game.

As for the sync points I got them all on my first solo attempt (failed at the flags)

and you don't need to go that far to find them

I have now 100% the co-op/heist missions - now to do the rest of the side stuff

aL_____eX
01-05-2015, 08:49 PM

Although the first part is nigh impossible to do it in stealth - and frankly why should you bother when there is zero consequence for going all out.

There are just TOO many guards in the first part (true for most co-op missions) to the point it gets annoying having the yellow awareness icon pop up no matter what you do.

The same is true for the heist missions -- seriously there just TOO many guards - even single player missions the amount of guards is staggering.

As for the sync points I got them all on my first solo attempt (failed at the flags)

Guards are imo the biggest gameplay problem in the game. The AI is stupid, there are just too many of them and enemies with guns are extremely overpowered. Some Coop mission are quite fun solo like the Mirabeau mission at the Pantheon but especially in heists, the guard system is totally out of control. They see you through walls and eveything. Once you get spotted by one enemy, you have like a exclamation mark disco on your screen.

'Rest of the sidestuff' - I started to play the Companion App 4 days ago and yeah... guess I'll unlock the Altair outfit and reach 100% overall sync in March :rolleyes:

Hrafnagud72
01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Guards are imo the biggest gameplay problem in the game. The AI is stupid, there are just too many of them and enemies with guns are extremely overpowered. Some Coop mission are quite fun solo like the Mirabeau mission at the Pantheon but especially in heists, the guard system is totally out of control. They see you through walls and eveything. Once you get spotted by one enemy, you have like a exclamation mark disco on your screen.

'Rest of the sidestuff' - I started to play the Companion App 4 days ago and yeah... guess I'll unlock the Altair outfit and reach 100% overall sync in March :rolleyes:

I thought it was just me lol. I said too many times while playing Unity, "How did he see me? I am behind a wall." Even several times I have been shot through a wall. The guard system is just plain messed up. I remember entering a window in a chest room, 3 guards were in the room, all of them through a hallway with their backs turned to me. As soon as I went into the window they all alerted yellow. Da fuq.

D.I.D.
01-05-2015, 09:18 PM

I really like it that it feels like there are too many. Any fewer, and it'd be a simple pickpocketing job. The number is good, because I have to think about ways to split them up. There are a number of ways to draw them off, or even pull them into a chase and then use the environment to get to your man.

There's a route over the one of the letters that allows you to get around the tent and nip in through the window very quickly. Disguise becomes useful for the letters on tables, if you've equipped clothing for the smallest detection circle/longest detection times.

I have no quarrels with the first part. It feels really good when you get through it with no combat, and even better with no detections.

D.I.D.
01-05-2015, 09:20 PM
I thought it was just me lol. I said too many times while playing Unity, "How did he see me? I am behind a wall." Even several times I have been shot through a wall. The guard system is just plain messed up. I remember entering a window in a chest room, 3 guards were in the room, all of them through a hallway with their backs turned to me. As soon as I went into the window they all alerted yellow. Da fuq.

I'm wondering if the console has slightly different AI programming than the PC. I've seen this complaint so many times on here, but I've played the game extensively twice through, and I've never been spotted through a wall by a guard in the PC version.

rrebe
01-05-2015, 09:22 PM

IF it unlocks :rolleyes:
I'm still missing mine and I have everything 100%

aL_____eX
01-05-2015, 09:39 PM
IF it unlocks :rolleyes:
I'm still missing mine and I have everything 100%
Just read about that issue in the Technichal Help section. :(

Kraschman2010
01-05-2015, 10:15 PM
First part nigh impossible to do with stealth? perhap in the console version but definitely doable in the PC version. I've soloed this mission repeatedly and the first part is honestly one of the easiest bits solo.

Now those flags? Definitely far easier with a group.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Is Ubisoft serious with this coop mission? With their joke of a parkour system it's next to impossible to collect all the flags. I refuse to play with other people. I have replayed the mission several times but cannot get all the flags in time. Anyone struggle with this?

Well refusing to play with other people is your first mistake you should have at least 1 dedicated CO-OP buddy.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Right I agree the co-op is really fun and balanced with just 2 people. They should definitely expand with CO-OP.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-05-2015, 10:25 PM

There are too many guards on heist missions??? I couldn't disagree more the Heist missions when played with 1 buddy are extreme fun you have to use your eagle vision and your inventory.

Hans684
01-05-2015, 10:26 PM
I went from hating this mission to my favorite co-op mission(I play alone).

Hrafnagud72
01-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Well refusing to play with other people is your first mistake you should have at least 1 dedicated CO-OP buddy.

********. That is not my mistake. That is Ubisofts mistake. I want to play by myself in a single player game. I do not want to play coop or multi-player. End of story. I shouldn't have to play it. What you want to do is up to you, what I want to play is single player.

bitebug2003
01-06-2015, 01:17 AM
There are too many guards on heist missions??? I couldn't disagree more the Heist missions when played with 1 buddy are extreme fun you have to use your eagle vision and your inventory.

Yes I think that in such a confined area such as these
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/Bitebug2003/AssassinsCreedregUnity_20150104230536_zps51d61d7c. jpg
15 guards is excessive.

I refused to play with 1, 2, 3, or 4 'buddies' at first, but considering the unbalanced nature of some of the missions (well it was only The Tournament that I needed help with) in that the guard count is the same regardless of how many Assassin's are playing it at the same time - and these heist missions where only 1 chest/artifact out of the 4 is the correct one doesn't take into account the guard count (I did it because it turned out the location of the chest/artifact was random).
But the excessive guard count/gun count has made AC Unity my least favourite of the series (everything else is fine - I just don't like the combat at all) but like with AC3 (my second least favourite). I will 100% it because I have started it so I shall finish it (and the DLC too because the last patch introduced the trophy list for Dead Kings).

********. That is not my mistake. That is Ubisofts mistake. I want to play by myself in a single player game. I do not want to play coop or multi-player. End of story. I shouldn't have to play it. What you want to do is up to you, what I want to play is single player.

I agree with this although, Ubisoft should have balanced the co-op missions a little so it doesn't end up a frustrating mess, which frankly some of them are, and even some of the single player missions have excesses.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-06-2015, 01:49 AM
Man get a co.op buddy they say you can tackle them on your own, but the game is really made to play with at least 1 buddy for cordinated strikes, and if you do play by yourself I suggest a ton of Phantom Blades and poison gas. Another thing while those guys are going bezerk throe a couple of poison gas's in there then smoke and dispatch

SixKeys
01-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Doing the first part stealthily is definitely possible and way more fun than going all out and killing everyone. Our group (Fatal, me plus whoever else is playing) always use the disguise skill to get close to the guards, steal the invitations and walk out. There's one that's tricky as it's in a red area surrounded with soldiers, but if all four players go in disguised, maybe throw some distraction bombs, it's certainly doable.

HDinHB
01-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Congrats!

March 2016? Don't get me started...even if the app worked reliably, it isn't at all fun (maybe the glyph part, but even that...), and whoever picked the durations should be water-boarded, and the "rewards"? Don't get me started...

The Mirabeau mission is great solo...almost had an AC2 tomb vibe. With the soaring ceilings on the main floor and the dungeony subterranean level. it's one of the best spaces in the last few games. They should have had more missions like this. I may go back and give it 5 stars if I didn't already.

bitebug2003
01-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Congrats!

March 2016? Don't get me started...even if the app worked reliably, it isn't at all fun (maybe the glyph part, but even that...), and whoever picked the durations should be water-boarded, and the "rewards"? Don't get me started...

The Mirabeau mission is great solo...almost had an AC2 tomb vibe. With the soaring ceilings on the main floor and the dungeony subterranean level. it's one of the best spaces in the last few games. They should have had more missions like this. I may go back and give it 5 stars if I didn't already.

I loved Moving Mirabeau and Women's March (the latter isn't that difficult).

Totally different in scope but both very well executed.