PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Unity and motion sickness

dovevoice
01-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to talk about my personal experience with AC unity. I can't seem to play the game because each time I play it I get a very bad headache (even playing it for 10 minutes can give me a headache). And after the latest patch I still get the headache. I find this strange because this never happened to me while playing a third person game.
Does anyone experience this, because I find this really game breaking and I quit the game right after Arno became an assassin.

Kindly find below a video where I talk more in depth about this problem.

http://youtu.be/Pfv9aViCX70

MasterAssasin84
01-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Hmm either your sitting way to close to the screen or seek medical attention if this is the case....

Photosensitive seizures and other health warnings are all elaborated in the instruction manual of the game

Be careful buddy I would seek Medical attention from a doctor ?

dovevoice
01-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Hmm either your sitting way to close to the screen or seek medical attention if this is the case....

Photosensitive seizures and other health warnings are all elaborated in the instruction manual of the game

Be careful buddy I would seek Medical attention from a doctor ?

You might be right but this is the first AC game that caused me motion sickness (I played all the older titles) so I found it strange that this happened now. My doctor only told me to stop playing the game and that is what I did.

MasterAssasin84
01-03-2015, 10:19 PM
You might be right but this is the first AC game that caused me motion sickness (I played all the older titles) so I found it strange that this happened now. My doctor only told me to stop playing the game and that is what I did.

Or just take regular breaks ?

Im no doctor so not qualified to give medical advice but I would encourage you to read the developers stance on motion sickness and photosensitive seizures ?

May shed some light ?

YazX_
01-03-2015, 10:22 PM
This might be caused because of Bloom effect, i have the same effect on Resident Evil games, first one to give this effect is RE 5 where too much bloom was used, then in later games the camera and movement just makes me dizzy in the first minute.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for this but maybe try to sit very far away from the TV or use smaller screen which might help, if it didn't then you have to skip this one, btw, to get rid of the sickness after turning off the game, take some ginger pills after consulting with your doctor, they are great to ease the symptoms if you are not allergic to it.

MasterAssasin84
01-03-2015, 10:26 PM
take some ginger pills, they are great to ease the symptoms.

I would be very careful advising what to take for all we know this guy could be allergic to Ginger ?

Probably unlikely but I would be more inclined to say further away from the TV and take regular breaks as per the advice of games manuals .

YazX_
01-03-2015, 10:30 PM
I would be very careful advising what to take for all we know this guy could be allergic to Ginger ?

Probably unlikely but I would be more inclined to say further away from the TV and take regular breaks as per the advice of games manuals .

yah i was editing my post, but you beat me to it.

dovevoice
01-03-2015, 10:56 PM
This might be caused because of Bloom effect, i have the same effect on Resident Evil games, first one to give this effect is RE 5 where too much bloom was used, then in later games the camera and movement just makes me dizzy in the first minute.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for this but maybe try to sit very far away from the TV or use smaller screen which might help, if it didn't then you have to skip this one, btw, to get rid of the sickness after turning off the game, take some ginger pills after consulting with your doctor, they are great to ease the symptoms if you are not allergic to it.
Funny thing is that I even get the headache from watching YouTube videos for assassin's creed unity, smaller screen, big screen, they all result into one thing which is a headache XD

Jackdaw951
01-03-2015, 11:30 PM
Wow. I feel for you. As I've gotten older, I've gotten more sensitive to certain games, but they all involve an overly narrow FOV. (If Unity gives you a headache, don't even think of playing Wolfenstein: NE.) What I do to reduce it is fast swings of the camera, as opposed to slow pans, focusing on a static image, like something on the HUD, while panning, more distance from the screen, and even purposely blinking slowly during fast pans.

Ureh
01-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Hopefully your nephew and you will be able to play the next AC game without motion sickness. Someone interviewed a developer and they confirmed that adversarial multiplayer will return in the future. It's already bad enough that you can't watch youtube walkthroughs for acu without headaches, I'll be sad if some loyals fans are left behind because of this.

So I'm guessing if you were to play AC3/4 or any other 3rd person game - right now - you won't experience headaches?

And I'm sure you already know you're not alone in this but I thought I could voice my support. I'm almost 25 years old and, I've got plenty of people telling me that I'm too old to play video games. I'll just leave it there.

DynaRider
01-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Quite a coincidence you posted this here today. Just yesterday I mentioned to my son that AC Unity while not making me physically sick made me a bit unsteady on my feet after playing for awhile. Sort of like the feeling you have trying to walk after being on a fishing boat. I also have never had any problems with motion sickness and none of the other AC games have bothered me. I get an odd sensation as the camera view swings around and changes and I can't explain exactly what is causing the effect. As stated none of the other AC games have caused any kind of problem.

dovevoice
01-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Hopefully your nephew and you will be able to play the next AC game without motion sickness. Someone interviewed a developer and they confirmed that adversarial multiplayer will return in the future. It's already bad enough that you can't watch youtube walkthroughs for acu without headaches, I'll be sad if some loyals fans are left behind because of this.

So I'm guessing if you were to play AC3/4 or any other 3rd person game - right now - you won't experience headaches?

And I'm sure you already know you're not alone in this but I thought I could voice my support. I'm almost 25 years old and, I've got plenty of people telling me that I'm too old to play video games. I'll just leave it there.

I am so glad that the next AC game will have adversarial multiplayer. I don't experience headaches playing AC3/4, just this game, So maybe it is something about the new engine the game is running on. Thank you for your support :)

killswitchmad
01-04-2015, 02:47 PM
You would be surprised at just how common sickness is in gamers, something like 48% of us suffer from it at some point...

It's also now been branded as "simulator sickness" rather than motion sickness and is down to the fact that the sounds coming to your inner ear do not match with what the brain is processing so your brain "thinks your in a game" while the ear says your "sitting in a room" this causes your brain to think you have become poisoned and so it makes you feel sick in an attempt to get you to flush out the toxins.

As of now there are technically no cures however there are ways to help. Ginger as mentioned previously is a fantastic way of settling the stomach but won't necessarily help the way you feel.

Sitting further away from the TV can also help as it allows the brain to process the fact that your in a room however it doesn't always work....

I've suffered from sickness during many games and in some surprising ways, Advanced Warfare for example is perfectly fine unless I play split screen which makes me sick in a matter of minutes...

In my experience the only sure fire way to quell the sickness is oddly to power through, desensitizing the brain will eventually stop the feeling but it can be a slow process you simply have to persevere with it and play till you get sick then stop and come back when you feel better, rinse and repeat.... You'll soon notice that you can begin playing for much longer and eventually it will go away....

Peter2014_
01-04-2015, 02:57 PM
I feel dizzy each time I jump into a haystack.

Jackdaw951
01-04-2015, 04:19 PM
You would be surprised at just how common sickness is in gamers, something like 48% of us suffer from it at some point...

It's also now been branded as "simulator sickness" rather than motion sickness and is down to the fact that the sounds coming to your inner ear do not match with what the brain is processing so your brain "thinks your in a game" while the ear says your "sitting in a room" this causes your brain to think you have become poisoned and so it makes you feel sick in an attempt to get you to flush out the toxins.

The inner ear is involved, but not because of sounds. Our sense of balance, what's up and what's down, comes from a sophisticated device in our inner ear. So while playing the game, your eyes tell you that you're moving, swinging, swaying and pitching, but your inner ear tells you that you're stationary and upright. That input confusion is what can trigger vertigo while playing a 3D game.

Edit: Here's a link for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_ear#Equilibrium

bikrchk
11-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately I am having the same experience with this game. I've played all the other AC titles with no problems. Typically as long as I stick to a 3rd person game I'm okay, but this one, not so much. Headaches and nausea within an hour. No fun at all! I am getting flickering white jaggedy lights from time to time. Can't tell if that's a "feature" or a problem with my video card. May try goofing with the driver or even upgrading the card.