PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 the misunderstood child

dargor5
01-02-2015, 11:18 PM
The title is because maybe you are not one of them but I was and many others who think AC3 is one of the worst and weakest AC of all (this is talking about gameplay and story not bugs). I have recently changed my mind. One of the thing that contributed the most to this opinion was Connor, the so called worst assassin of all because he has no charisma or is a lady's man and gets used a lot by the patriots on their quest, but after doing the Homestead missions you begin to understand this is not a bad thing.

He is no lady's man because in the colonies and specially native americans were more worried about survival than ladys and other things like in Europe which had many commodities the colonies did not even dream of having at that moment. Another thing is you start to see he has a soul once you do the homestead missions and see how he cares about others. The fact that he gets used a lot is because he is a native american, who were more connected to nature and didn't have the malice of the rest of the modern world, so he is very innocent person, a trait that also stands out during the homestead missions.

On another note I'm playing AC3 with a sweetfx preset and man the graphics are awesome and I can say WAY better than Unity, the textures specially on npcs are very well done, not like in Unity were it looks like the skin of the npcs on the street was done in Windows's Paint.

So do you also think AC3 is bad? how about Connor and have you played the homestead missions?

PS: - Black Flag has some upgrades over AC3, but to me that's just Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean with an Assassin's Creed stamp.
- Don't turn this thread into another Unity bashing we all know is bad from a technical point of view but is certainly not a bad AC

Fatal-Feit
01-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Bring this thread to the console forum. You'll get more opinions there.

That said, AC3 is one of my favorite in the franchise. Connor is also one of my favorite protagonists in video game history.

dargor5
01-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Bring this thread to the console forum. You'll get more opinions there.

That said, AC3 is one of my favorite in the franchise. Connor is also one of my favorite protagonists in video game history.

Why do you suggest the console forum?

Fatal-Feit
01-02-2015, 11:59 PM
A lot more people r active dere.

dargor5
01-03-2015, 12:03 AM
A lot more people r active dere.

How to move the thread? Maybe a mod can help with that?

On the other hand I dont know if the console side will be happy about the mention of a pc mod like sweetfx but that can be edited

Fatal-Feit
01-03-2015, 12:16 AM
Dats k. A lot of them r PC gamers.

strigoi1958
01-03-2015, 12:29 AM
AC3 is still the game I use to judge other games. The puzzles, the story, the missions, the characters, trading, sailing... just incredible and the fact that they under played Connor was excellent. People are different... not everyone is James Bond and if every Assassin was just that... then we would get bored. Giving Assassins their own personality is one of the best things ever.
Plus AC3 introduced us to Haytham ....and the shock of discovery when we find out what he is. :D

Ansellbwoy
01-03-2015, 01:06 AM
AC3 had some really good improvements in gameplay, but it was the one AC game i just stopped playing because i simply didnt care much about the character or the ending. The homestead improvements kept me on there for a while, i enjoy having land to improve and stuff. But yeah, it just didnt hold me in the game. If people (like yourself) were attached to the character then good, you got your moneys worth on a beautiful game, but for me it just didnt click.

And one more thing, them first few hours of that game were just plain annoying, for me at least.

strigoi1958
01-03-2015, 01:16 AM
I don't ever attach myself to characters... it is after all just a game and I treat it as such. People get upset at frivolous things such as the buttons are not right for the period or the uniform is wrong or the accents. I appreciate the fact that things get mixed up to help retain interest.
I just enjoy playing games.
You on the other hand stopped playing a game because you didn't care about a fictional character.

Ansellbwoy
01-03-2015, 01:48 AM
I don't ever attach myself to characters... it is after all just a game and I treat it as such. People get upset at frivolous things such as the buttons are not right for the period or the uniform is wrong or the accents. I appreciate the fact that things get mixed up to help retain interest.
I just enjoy playing games.
You on the other hand stopped playing a game because you didn't care about a fictional character.

Yeah, pretty much. Maybe it was more the story that didnt drag me in enough. I like the look and feel of the game, but after numerous hours on it, it just didnt give me a reason to keep coming back. Again, if it did for others im glad. I had fun with it, it just faded out for me after a while. I play a lot of games, but i only complete games i really really enjoy.

similarly
01-03-2015, 02:03 AM
I really enjoyed AC3 a LOT. The fort missions were great. The lock picking was great. The hunting was great. Probably the best part for me were the homestead missions and watching the town grow. I liked how the commerce system grew out of actually meeting people and helping people, and how you could make routes safer by doing missions. It was brilliant.

I wish I could have dressed in a Red Coat outfit, though!

strigoi1958
01-03-2015, 03:57 AM
Yeah, pretty much. Maybe it was more the story that didnt drag me in enough. I like the look and feel of the game, but after numerous hours on it, it just didnt give me a reason to keep coming back. Again, if it did for others im glad. I had fun with it, it just faded out for me after a while. I play a lot of games, but i only complete games i really really enjoy.

I know what you mean... I give a game 30 minutes and if I am not hooked or there is too much to take in without a quick tutorial then the game gets binned I replay AC 3 a lot for the forts and homestead but only up to the credits which cannot be skipped.

I bought Mass Effect 3 as I loved ME 1 & 2 and after 20 minutes of unskippable cutscenes in the first 30 minutes the game was uninstalled.
Same with Starpoint Gemini 2.... no short tutorial just 20 pop up screens every time you do something.... if I wanted to read I'd buy a book..... binned ;)

Riffnugget
01-03-2015, 05:38 AM
Yea I don't understand how people hated AC 3. Sure Connor was a bit boring, but other than that the story was awesome, gameplay was awesome etc. I think people just didn't like how it used a new engine and 'felt different' from Brotherhood and Revelations. Also, what SweetFX preset are you using? =)

dargor5
01-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Yea I don't understand how people hated AC 3. Sure Connor was a bit boring, but other than that the story was awesome, gameplay was awesome etc. I think people just didn't like how it used a new engine and 'felt different' from Brotherhood and Revelations. Also, what SweetFX preset are you using? =)

Cinematic preset. I found it on youtube and tbh it looks way better than unity just with low poly structures. But texture wise it looks extremely well, mostly the frontier which too me rivals even FC4 (again on the textures, the grass and models still low poly).

On another note I think I would have liked better a real spin off instead of a supernatural crap for dlc. After all Washington and the patriots wanted to burn Connor's village. that would have been the time to turn on them and start murdering patriots (which I really wanted to do after they made me kill Connors friend)

VoldR
01-03-2015, 08:09 AM
Cinematic preset. I found it on youtube and tbh it looks way better than unity just with low poly structures. But texture wise it looks extremely well, mostly the frontier which too me rivals even FC4 (again on the textures, the grass and models still low poly).

On another note I think I would have liked better a real spin off instead of a supernatural crap for dlc. After all Washington and the patriots wanted to burn Connor's village. that would have been the time to turn on them and start murdering patriots (which I really wanted to do after they made me kill Connors friend)

Interesting, I'll check it out when I reach the American revolution again for the timeline play through.