PDA

View Full Version : For all of you people talking "Character and Narrative"

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-01-2015, 12:54 AM
Please from a Character and Narrative aspect please tell me what AC is about from game 1 until now. There is no way in hell to cohesively connect every protagonist from every AC game. The Bottom Line is AC is about Assassins vs. Templars. This story will never end because the story is truly about Ideals not characters. A lot of you guys need to stop putting RPG type of standards on to a game like AC.

ze_topazio
01-01-2015, 12:58 AM
Don't blame others for your incapacity to understand the story.

Doubleo190606
01-01-2015, 01:01 AM
Go to the Assassin' Creed Wiki online. It will help you alot.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-01-2015, 01:01 AM
What story??? Assassins vs Templars??? Because that is the only story I see.

aL_____eX
01-01-2015, 01:03 AM
Jeez... are you serious? AC is so much more than Assassins vs. Templars.

Altair1789
01-01-2015, 01:25 AM
If you haven't played/ watched AC1-3, then I don't blame you for thinking it's just Assassins vs. Templars and thinking we're expecting too much. If this is true, I'd recommend watching one of those cutscene movies on youtube. There's a guy who does cutscenes + essential gameplay parts here: https://www.youtube.com/user/morphinapg/videos. And believe me, from even all of his gameplay movies there'll still be a lot of info left out. For that we have the wiki

Kaschra
01-01-2015, 02:06 AM
Why do you create another thread?

And seriously, that is NO reason to neglect character and storytelling.

Namikaze_17
01-01-2015, 02:11 AM
*Reads Post*

*Says story should be Assassin v. Templar only*

*Leaves*

Journey95
01-01-2015, 02:24 AM
What story??? Assassins vs Templars??? Because that is the only story I see.

then you must be blind be honest have you even played the other games?
And sure the constant fighting between the Assassins and Templars is a major plot point but so what? just because of that we can't have good characters and a compelling story??
bs logic

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
01-01-2015, 02:46 AM
If you haven't played/ watched AC1-3, then I don't blame you for thinking it's just Assassins vs. Templars and thinking we're expecting too much. If this is true, I'd recommend watching one of those cutscene movies on youtube. There's a guy who does cutscenes + essential gameplay parts here: https://www.youtube.com/user/morphinapg/videos. And believe me, from even all of his gameplay movies there'll still be a lot of info left out. For that we have the wiki
I have played all of them.

Journey95
01-01-2015, 03:05 AM

then your posts doesn't make sense IF you actually paid attention and didn't skip cutscenes

Hrafnagud72
01-01-2015, 03:55 AM

I will reiterate the condensed version of my post in your other thread about the same exact topic. You, sir, are a moron.

JorgeChihuahua
01-01-2015, 04:15 AM
I suppose when you get done to the basics, a game called Assassin's Creed is about Assassins. But the game tells the story through the perpective of a person viewing another previous related ancestor and it presents it as you going back to explore the past memory sequences of the ancestor with the Animus. There are many ways the game connects each protaganist to the ones before it, for example according to the idea that you are viewing ancestors and not random people, Connor, Ezio, Edward, and Haytham were all related to each other and Altair in some way. (Correct me of I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works.) Newer games have changed the idea a bit starting with Black Flag which had you exploring another person's genetic memories. (Off topic, but could Abstergo explore Desmond's memories with his Dna sample?). So that's how each historical protaganist has been connected to each other. Arno was kinda just a random dude if you think about it, he wasn't related to Desmond or anything that I know of, and Shay was like a dude who had his memory kinda just there and he happened to be important. To be honest Assassin's Creed Rogue doesn't explain how we found Shay's memories, we have to assume the modern day character is the same dude from Black Flag so It doesn't explain why he found Shay's memories but now I'm just rambling. Hey guys I exist.

Kaschra
01-01-2015, 04:28 AM
I suppose when you get done to the basics, a game called Assassin's Creed is about Assassins. But the game tells the story through the perpective of a person viewing another previous related ancestor and it presents it as you going back to explore the past memory sequences of the ancestor with the Animus. There are many ways the game connects each protaganist to the ones before it, for example according to the idea that you are viewing ancestors and not random people, Connor, Ezio, Edward, and Haytham were all related to each other and Altair in some way. (Correct me of I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works.) Newer games have changed the idea a bit starting with Black Flag which had you exploring another person's genetic memories. (Off topic, but could Abstergo explore Desmond's memories with his Dna sample?). So that's how each historical protaganist has been connected to each other. Arno was kinda just a random dude if you think about it, he wasn't related to Desmond or anything that I know of, and Shay was like a dude who had his memory kinda just there and he happened to be important. To be honest Assassin's Creed Rogue doesn't explain how we found Shay's memories, we have to assume the modern day character is the same dude from Black Flag so It doesn't explain why he found Shay's memories but now I'm just rambling. Hey guys I exist.

Ezio, Altair and the Kenways are all ancestors of Desmond, but only the Kenways are related to each other (and to Des of course)
Yes, Abstergo used Desmond's DNA sample to explore Edward's life.

Altair1789
01-01-2015, 04:31 AM

Altaļr was an ancestor of Desmond's mom, while the rest (except Arno, Shay, Adewale, and Aveline) are ancestors of his dad, but the Kenways aren't descendants of Ezio

Also, I think they kinda told us Rogue's protagonist wasn't AC4's protagonist. It wasn't direct but you had to put two and two together

JorgeChihuahua
01-01-2015, 04:38 AM
I was trying to answer his question without sounding condescending, but I guess it turns out I don't understand as much of the over-arching story as I thought. This is why I like the community, thanks for clearing this up.

Kaschra
01-01-2015, 04:48 AM
I was trying to answer his question without sounding condescending, but I guess it turns out I don't understand as much of the over-arching story as I thought. This is why I like the community, thanks for clearing this up.

No problem ^^

There are plenty of people out there who believe that Desmond's ancestor all have to be related to each other, because - and let me quote it - "How can they be related to Desmond if they aren't related to each other too?"
Now that would be one huge incest mess lol

Shahkulu101
01-01-2015, 04:51 AM
I value good characters and a great script over the actual plot when it comes to video games. That's why I love Assassin's Creed IV and The Last of Us.

Altair1789
01-01-2015, 04:55 AM

It's ok, they don't really just flat out tell you that in game, I learned that from Olivier's computer in AC4

SirTookTookIII
01-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Technically all the Assassin's and Shay are linked because of the box that Ezio gave to Shao Jun which she brought to China and then sent it to Manila which went to Acapulco to the Caribbean at which point Adewale got the box which then leads to Rogue and such. So because of Arno and Connor being somehow related to Shay because of his involvement. There is my very disjointed point of how they are all linked... so woohoo, Assassin's Creed.

pirate1802
01-01-2015, 12:07 PM
You are absolutely right, sir. At its most basic, the plot of the games are indeed to chronicle the struggles between the Assassins and Templars. But I invite you to device a way, if you can, to show this conflict without inventing interesting characters taking different sides, expousing different beliefs and different shades of the same belief. Because really, the conflicts of the two ideologies is played out through the struggles of its respective adherents. If you have a game where there is a mute assassin snowman dressed in green with a halo on its head and a mute templar snowman with horns and painted red, and absolutely zero other characters, it would not make for a very convincing chronicling of the AvT conflict, would it? What you outlined is the plot of the series. How does that plot plays out? That's where narratives and characters come in. It seems a little imbecilic to imply only one side of the coin is important when that very well depends on what's on the other side.