PDA

View Full Version : Are silent free-aim weapons really that overpowered?

LoyalACFan
12-30-2014, 01:41 AM
I know how unpopular the crossbow is here simply because it's ridiculously OP; 25 shots, automatic aiming, and instant kills for every archetype except the brutes. However, I'm playing Far Cry 4 right now and I'm having a blast with the stealth using a combination of the bow, kukri, and throwing knives. Really, free-aim and decent AI makes all the difference. If AC would finally get its act together concerning those two items, how would we feel about having a bow in the future (if the setting realistically allows) without the obnoxious range and ammo limitations of the Phantom Blade? It would need to be mechanically similar to Far Cry's though, not AC3's piece of garbage.

Before anyone brings up how OP the blowpipe was, remember that it didn't have location-based damage (i.e. anywhere you hit on the body had the same effect regardless of whether you lined up a perfect headshot or shot him in the toe) and it only required a tap of the trigger instead of the slow aim/release of a bow.

aL_____eX
12-30-2014, 01:45 AM
I also like how TLoU used the bow. It's still a one hitter most of the time (I'm not 100% sure right now) but without auto aim it's quite challenging.

wvstolzing
12-30-2014, 02:08 AM
I also liked TLoU's bow&arrow a lot -- though at 'survivor' difficulty (or whichever is the second most difficult), there are far too few arrows available to shoot: I don't think I used it more than 10 times (including the deer hunting episode). I can't remember whether the arrows could be crafted, though.

GoldenBoy9999
12-30-2014, 02:18 AM
I'd love to have another bow. That makes me think of another native game, but we already have Connor so I'd like to see his bow get the free-aim update. And don't make it alert guards this time.

A bow in another setting would be good too though. I think I heard something like, "Nearly every great ancient civilization used the bow," so that could fit into many time periods and settings.

And I do like silent free-aimed weapons, a lot. I use gauntlets that carry the most blades in ACU, and it's still challenging once you're detected. Or because you run out. I want to see some weapons like this, because stealth is how I play AC and it still needs to be improved upon.

wvstolzing
12-30-2014, 02:23 AM
Speaking of stealth -- why was the sleep dart removed?

aL_____eX
12-30-2014, 02:27 AM
Speaking of stealth -- why was the sleep dart removed?
Good question. I'd rather have sleep darts than those stupid berserk darts. Same with whistling, why was it removed? I always found it a good help to operate stealthy.

GoldenBoy9999
12-30-2014, 02:33 AM
I suppose the sleep darts have been replaced by the blades that just kill people. It's pretty much the same purpose, you just don't have to run up to them and stomp them.

The berserk blades are pretty good imo. At least, in certain places. I cheesed through The Tournament with them in the combat section. I like how the disease spreads. :cool:

But whistling, I wanted back. The possible reasons I've heard it was removed was change for the sake of change, and too many actions on one button.

wvstolzing
12-30-2014, 02:42 AM
I suppose the sleep darts have been replaced by the blades that just kill people. It's pretty much the same purpose, you just don't have to run up to them and stomp them.

Yes; but I never stomped knocked-out enemies; in fact it was a way of doing minimal-kill runs.

Altair1789
12-30-2014, 04:52 AM
I kinda disliked sleep darts but I hate how they removed whistling. Cherry bombs rarely make guards investigate the area they're thrown in

I can't wait for the throwing knives in Victory though :)

Jackdaw951
12-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Good question. I'd rather have sleep darts than those stupid berserk darts. Same with whistling, why was it removed? I always found it a good help to operate stealthy.

The berserk darts were awesome, unless you "upgraded" them. Keep the berserk timer at default-short, and they're death darts with just a little quick mayhem.

m4r-k7
12-30-2014, 11:39 AM
They got to make stealth weapons a 1 hit kill in order to encourage stealth. Sometimes in AC U if you don't get phantom blades straight in the head of the enemy they will survive and know your whereabouts straight away. They need to make stealth weapons a 1 hit kill or it makes it incredibly hard to take out ranged targets without getting spotted. Would love for a bow orientated assassin who uses bow as his primary and signature weapon. Connor had a bow but it was merely a crossbow equivalent. Imagine having different arrows and mixing parkour with cinematic bow kills. That would be epic.

Namikaze_17
12-30-2014, 01:02 PM
I laugh at people who say Guns are overpowered yet ignore the Crossbow. :rolleyes: