PDA

View Full Version : Does assassins creed unity have strong language(can 14 yr old son play)

che5568
12-29-2014, 11:52 PM
My 14 year old son wants to get this game but I am unsure whether the profanity is really strong so anyones honest opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Rafe Harwood
12-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Kind of depends on where you are from/cultural norms.

There is some swearing but it is not gratuitous

JustPlainQuirky
12-29-2014, 11:56 PM
there's like no profanity.

he can play it.

the game is very tame compared to pretty much every other M game out there.

even for french revolution its surprisingly tame

Shahkulu101
12-30-2014, 12:05 AM
No but there is extreme violence and severed heads which you should honestly be more worried about...

rrebe
12-30-2014, 12:14 AM
No but there is extreme violence and severed heads which you should honestly be more worried about...

Nothing too graphic though, I'd say?

playlisting
12-30-2014, 12:16 AM
There isn't much profanity, no. No reason a 14 year old can't play it.

aL_____eX
12-30-2014, 12:17 AM
I still think strong language isn't as much of a problem as the brutal fighting and killing scenes you'll get to see.

Shahkulu101
12-30-2014, 12:18 AM

Depends, it's not gory so to speak but the finishing moves are pretty brutal, and there's that scene with Robespierre. I don't take issue with it personally but if anything is worthy of concern it's the violence and not harmless words.

ze_topazio
12-30-2014, 12:22 AM
I believe killing people and seeing people getting brutally murdered is way worse than some curse words that only 7 year old kids and old ladies find shocking.

Shahkulu101
12-30-2014, 12:26 AM
http://youtu.be/hpigjnKl7nI

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm 15. I play it. I'm not a mass murderer... Yes, he can play it.

aL_____eX
12-30-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm 15. I play it. I'm not a mass murderer... Yes, he can play it.
Of course you're not, you shouldn't become one by playing a video game. :)

ze_topazio
12-30-2014, 12:37 AM
Everybody knows that GTA is the only game that can make you a mass murderer.

Undertakecare
12-30-2014, 12:37 AM
My 14 year old son wants to get this game but I am unsure whether the profanity is really strong so anyones honest opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Depends. If you don't mind splattering blood, corpses with wounds and decapitations where the head is shown to the viewers (guillotine in elysian fields) - then it is fine.

GoldenBoy9999
12-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Hey che, I'm 14 too. :) My parents are the same way, they've been fine with the violence for a while, but they still don't like it when they hear tons of cuss words. It seems like they'd be more worried about gore, but whatever. :rolleyes:

There is extremely little cussing, less than the last which is Black Flag. This one is pretty good overall, but the combat and the finishers can get pretty brutal. Nothing that bad though.

I've been playing since I was 10, and I'm a super polite and mature person. I say you should let him play, it's a great franchise, despite what some say. It's your choice on the matter, but that's my honest opinion. :)

LoyalACFan
12-30-2014, 01:14 AM
Not to pass judgment or anything, but if your son is 14 years old, I guarantee he's hearing like fifty swearwords an hour at school and around his peers. 14 years is plenty old enough to handle that.

JustPlainQuirky
12-30-2014, 01:16 AM
all dese kids playin games for dem adults.

#OnlyOneWhoWaitedTilLegalAgeToPlayIt :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
12-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Depends on the Maturity of your Son...

adventurewomen
12-30-2014, 02:08 AM
The F - bomb is thrown in the game here and there so far as I've played.

AC isn't the type of game a 14 yr old should be playing.. imo

GoldenBoy9999
12-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Not to pass judgment or anything, but if your son is 14 years old, I guarantee he's hearing like fifty swearwords an hour at school and around his peers. 14 years is plenty old enough to handle that.

I can vouch for that. Among other things. :rolleyes: And from the parents themselves...

Altair1789
12-30-2014, 02:24 AM
I think it should be fine, nothing you won't hear on TV or in a public facility

DynaRider
12-30-2014, 02:27 AM
Go to You Tube and search Assassin's Creed Unity and you'll be able to see what the game is like.

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 02:58 AM
all dese kids playin games for dem adults.

#OnlyOneWhoWaitedTilLegalAgeToPlayIt :rolleyes:

I thought you were 17? Did you make that up?

STDlyMcStudpants
12-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Blood and Gore
Intense Violence
Sexual Themes
Strong Language
Use of Alcohol
It's right on the box.... lol
As long as your teenager has a good head on their shoulders and doesnt take assassinating and stealing a keg, getting drunk and beating up everyone as something acceptable.. then he'll be fine...
Will be called a bastard a lot though hahahahahah

JustPlainQuirky
12-30-2014, 04:12 AM
I thought you were 17? Did you make that up?

over here u can play M games at 17.

also i turned 18 in October

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 04:19 AM
over here u can play M games at 17.

also i turned 18 in October

Makes sense. I just asked you this same question on the BUWYWL thread, so just ignore that.

Namikaze_17
12-30-2014, 04:21 AM
^ Does it really matter? :rolleyes:

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 04:22 AM
^ Does it really matter? :rolleyes:

Which part? The ignoring part or the actual question itself?

GoldenBoy9999
12-30-2014, 04:27 AM
Which part? The ignoring part or the actual question itself?

The question I think. And I guess not. I think it's silly how you're supposed to be 18 to play an AO(Adults Only) game. M and A are only 1 year apart. I don't see the difference.

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 04:47 AM
You don't HAVE to be. Most kids nowadays don't care. That's not to say that ratings should be ignored by all parents. For example, my little brother talks about deaths of characters in games as being cool, but when I was his age I understood it for what it was; an important part of the story. That's one of the reasons why I don't like children; they have no understanding of what is "cool" & what is actually something to be avoided.

Altair1789
12-30-2014, 04:50 AM
Blood and Gore
Intense Violence
Sexual Themes
Strong Language
Use of Alcohol
It's right on the box.... lol
As long as your teenager has a good head on their shoulders and doesnt take assassinating and stealing a keg, getting drunk and beating up everyone as something acceptable.. then he'll be fine...
Will be called a bastard a lot though hahahahahah

The sexual themes part isn't as bad as it sounds though, there's just 2 kissing scenes and they last like 6 seconds in total

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 04:56 AM
The sexual themes part isn't as bad as it sounds though, there's just 2 kissing scenes and they last like 6 seconds in total

Is that what's considered "sexual content" these days? Christ...

GoldenBoy9999
12-30-2014, 05:51 AM

That's crazy. I think the last time I checked an AC game for the rating was back at ACR. I haven't checked the ratings for any games in years.

LoyalACFan
12-30-2014, 11:05 AM

Nah, the sexual content rating is for the brothel district and some raunchy dialogue, e.g. from the Marquis de Sade. I recall a few cursory mentions of lustful priests and bestiality thrown in there. Most of them are pretty subtle and missable, but there actually are some pretty explicit sexual references in the game.

RinoTheBouncer
12-30-2014, 04:38 PM
I think he can absolutely play it. Boys and girls that age hear a lot more profanity and sexual subjects from their colleagues at school than they do from games and movies. Regarding the violence in games, I played Resident Evil games since I was 8 and I grew up just fine hehe. Donít worry.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-30-2014, 04:50 PM
I believe killing people and seeing people getting brutally murdered is way worse than some curse words that only 7 year old kids and old ladies find shocking.
lol I wouldn't say that.
the game really isn't that brutal... and violence and killing is in almost all media.

im 15 and it dosent bother me.

yet I still cringe at R rated movies lol

NetTakogo84
12-30-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm pretty sure your son knows and uses language that this game would blush at.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-30-2014, 04:56 PM

they should really give that rating to Disney movies with kissing scenes:rolleyes:

EmbodyingSeven5
12-30-2014, 05:00 PM
The question I think. And I guess not. I think it's silly how you're supposed to be 18 to play an AO(Adults Only) game. M and A are only 1 year apart. I don't see the difference.

hey.... someone can mature a lot in a year:p

pacmanate
12-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Let him play it, not too bad swearing, just the F and S word very rarely.

Stabbing people is obviously fine as you know its AC, decapitations arent ever actually showed but you see the heads.

Altair1789
12-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Nah, the sexual content rating is for the brothel district and some raunchy dialogue, e.g. from the Marquis de Sade. I recall a few cursory mentions of lustful priests and bestiality thrown in there. Most of them are pretty subtle and missable, but there actually are some pretty explicit sexual references in the game.

Oh... Yea that would make more sense for the rating. De Sade is pretty graphic sometimes

Let him play it, not too bad swearing, just the F and S word very rarely.

Stabbing people is obviously fine as you know its AC, decapitations arent ever actually showed but you see the heads.

I think you actually see the king's head come off

Hans684
12-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Bad language should be the least of your problems, you play as a guy that's part of an order that tries to justify the killing of anyone who disagree with them. Killing is far worse than mere words, so it depends on the view you child has on the world(and killing).

bitebug2003
12-31-2014, 09:06 PM

Well don't stare at a Guillotine execution for too long

AcanthaDante
12-31-2014, 10:57 PM
I agree with a good chunk of the community, it's more the violence that gives this game its rating rather than profanity. The majority of swearing isn't even in English (it's a running thing for the series that cussing is in the character's 'original language', and the one who would've 'originally' spoke English didn't have the sort of character to use profanity). The closest thing I know right now is the fact that the main character's mentor keeps calling him 'pisspot'

The summary I have to say is this, the ESRB or PEGI rating (depending on your country of origin) has a summary of the sort of things that, as a parent, you might disagree with (examples of this, though not limited to AC, are gambling, violence, terror, drugs, sex)

While it is partially blocked off, you'll see the ESRB rating in the corner of the page they warn of the following:

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexual Themes, Strong Language, Use of Alcohol

If this doesn't help, I'd recommend going onto YouTube and looking for 'Let's Play' videos, these will allow you to see the gameplay for yourself.

Finally, I must commend you. I don't know many who would turn to the fan community for such questions as you have.

crusader_prophet
01-01-2015, 12:34 AM
The game is quite graphic, I would be less worried about profanity, keep your son away from it.

Aphex_Tim
01-01-2015, 09:32 AM

Robespierre's mutilated and severed head looked pretty gruesome to me...