PDA

View Full Version : Help: Confused n00b, _are_ Assassins Templars? Or are they 2 different things

RedTegareg
12-29-2014, 03:49 PM
:confused:
Sorry for being thick. But Elise is the daughter of a Templar? But Arno has just drunk a drink from a goblet and joined the Assassins?
So Assassins are different to Templars?

Or are they all the same thing? I don't get what the political motive is of Assassins if they are not Templars.

And from what I read, the Templars are a secret (or not so secret) organization than runs separately from the Government or Monarchy of the time, with their own agenda?

I'm not a massive AC player, so I am struggling with the back story a bit. Beautiful game though. Love it so far.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this. (I won't ask about Abstergo, or my brain might melt :/ )

Sylikhen
12-29-2014, 04:05 PM
:confused:
Sorry for being thick. But Elise is the daughter of a Templar? But Arno has just drunk a drink from a goblet and joined the Assassins?
So Assassins are different to Templars?

Or are they all the same thing? I don't get what the political motive is of Assassins if they are not Templars.

And from what I read, the Templars are a secret (or not so secret) organization than runs separately from the Government or Monarchy of the time, with their own agenda?

I'm not a massive AC player, so I am struggling with the back story a bit. Beautiful game though. Love it so far.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this. (I won't ask about Abstergo, or my brain might melt :/ )

O...kay. You've got a lot to learn, but I'll try and keep this as short as possible.

First off, Assassins and Templars are absolutely NOT the same faction. Basically, the Assassins are attempting to seek global freedom. The Templars want freedom's 2nd cousin once removed: Order. This is because the Templars believe that freedom leads to chaos. Order leads to peace and coexistence. However, the Assassins counter that belief by stating that someone or some group needs to control the population to institute order, and that group is the Templars. To prevent the Templars from seeking control, the Assassins vow to eradicate them by killing them by intuitive and discreet weaponry and technology. Now, onto Abstergo. Abstergo is the modern-day incarnation of the Templars. By using Animus technology to access the memories of Assassins and Templars of the past, they are trying to find information that will lead them to First Civilization DNA. Abstergo is trying to sequence a full Precursor genome by 2018. They're making progress and the Assassins are too weak as an organization to do anything about it...DUN DUN DUUUUUUNN!

SixKeys
12-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Both factions are concerned with the fate of humanity. Their goals are noble but the way they go about achieving those goals are different.

Templars think humanity as a whole is weak and needs order through leadership. They will achieve this through force or slavery if necessary.

The assassins want humanity to be free to choose their own fate.

Abstergo = modern day Templars.

RedTegareg
12-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys, that's very helpful.

I've just realised my chick (Elise) and me (Arno) are on different teams. (Templars vs Assassins) [fx: sound of penny dropping]
This is not going to end well.

This is going to get messier than the last time I forgot to get my missus a Valentines card. (sic)
Wish me luck men.

Hrafnagud72
12-29-2014, 05:11 PM
This thread makes me weep for the future of this franchise.

EmbodyingSeven5
12-29-2014, 06:03 PM
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130729051602/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/0/07/Facepalm_(1).png

rrebe
12-29-2014, 06:09 PM
^shush :rolleyes:

I don't think they really explained those things in Unity, or did they? o_O

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.

I've just realised my chick (Elise) and me (Arno) are on different teams. (Templars vs Assassins) [fx: sound of penny dropping]
This is not going to end well.

This is going to get messier than the last time I forgot to get my missus a Valentines card. (sic)
Wish me luck men.

Welcome to the forums! And good luck ;)

HDinHB
12-30-2014, 02:34 AM
I think those are perfectly reasonable question for someone just starting AC at Unity. It's the game doesn't really give much context, so it's probably like trying to take a sip out of a fire hose.

hwangeruk, welcome to the forums, and this crazy little universe we call Assassin's Creed... Feel free to ask any more questions you want.

wvstolzing
12-30-2014, 02:39 AM
assassinscreed.wikia.com is a helpful & comprehensive resource, if you wish to catch up on the 'lore'.

It also incorporates material from the comics, novels, etc.

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 03:52 AM
This just makes me realise how much I actually know. All of this stuff is like second nature to me.

JustPlainQuirky
12-30-2014, 04:05 AM
The assassins are a collective group founded by the beast lord Zorg stationed on mars. When the intergalactic nazi war of 1987 BC occurred, Obama found he had no choice but to contact the templars, an elite mercenary group that live off the power of Mavis Bacon educational software.

The Templars are NOT affiliated with Zorg.

The Templars, having only worshipped the god of dairy Shay Patrick Cormilk, took offense to the Assassin's worship of Zorg.

They have been fighting ever since.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Altair1789
12-30-2014, 04:08 AM
The assassins worship Talos, but the Templars have banned Talos' worship in Tamrimasyaf. However, led by Ulfric Ibn La Ahad, the assassins seek to rid the Templars of their power

LoyalACFan
12-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Yeah, Unity is probably THE worst starting point for someone new to the franchise.