PDA

View Full Version : Flaps over Combat Flaps

Ki_Rin
04-03-2004, 03:43 PM
It has been brought to my attention that most wwII ac, aside from the P51, P38 and only a handful of others (sorry cannot recall those now!) and any form of combat flaps...with the exception of the TB-3, all the monoplanes in FB have combat flaps...109s, La7s flying and df'ing with combat flaps that SHOULDNT be there? OLEG, sir, why is this???????

Ki_Rin
04-03-2004, 03:43 PM
It has been brought to my attention that most wwII ac, aside from the P51, P38 and only a handful of others (sorry cannot recall those now!) and any form of combat flaps...with the exception of the TB-3, all the monoplanes in FB have combat flaps...109s, La7s flying and df'ing with combat flaps that SHOULDNT be there? OLEG, sir, why is this???????

WWMaxGunz
04-03-2004, 11:03 PM
I think it's because some of the terms used are misleading. Like prop pitch for example where you can only really set that for some planes while most others you set a desired prop rpm.

So with the flaps, every plane that can use flaps at variable degrees has a "combat" setting. Not that the ones you mention about with the true combat flaps don't get jammed at higher speeds than others? Or it was that way last I checked because I don't much use flaps except sometimes takeoff and always landings and under 300kph.

Check out the flaps on the Hurri I for example. They are either full up or full down.

neal

04-03-2004, 11:47 PM
It's just a limitation of the game. If you choose to fly historically correct, then only use the correct flap settings for your particular plane.

"combat" --> one third
"takeoff" --> two thirds
"landing" --> full

RAF74_Buzzsaw
04-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Salute

Most aircraft should not be able to deploy "combat" flaps above 200 mph without causing damage. (320kph)

Aircraft such as the P-51 were unique in being able to deploy flaps at speeds as high as 425 mph. (680kph) Mustang "Combat" flap settings were only 5 degrees. This gave the Mustang huge advantages in high speed maneuvering.

As it stands now, only the Mustang seems to be able to suffer damage from deploying flaps at high speeds.

Kwiatos
04-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Combat flaps dont jamming even with max safe dive of planes. I reported these bug but as i hear it wasn't corrected until now.

Cold_Gambler
04-05-2004, 09:56 AM
I've found that all the planes suffer damage from deploying flaps at excessive speeds, not so much the "combat" flaps (but I DO seem to remember getting those jammed in a power-dive, when I forgot them on in a me-109G6late) but certainly in the "take-off" position at anything greater than ~ 350km/h.

Incidentally, I've found in that one can "approximate" combat flaps in hurris and spits by dropping flaps down for brief periods and pulling them back up before they've deployed too far.

Gen_Strike
04-06-2004, 09:50 PM
easier to map flaps to a wheel or slider, like a mousewheel, that way you can set a small amount of flaps on a hurricane and not just up or down