PDA

View Full Version : Playing with no HUD. And it's AWESOME

Defalt221
12-24-2014, 04:57 PM
First I thought the map was too big to remember all the building locations,their names and find my way while parkour-ing. But I decided to start it all over again. I restarted the whole game,disabled the HUD. I began reading the database and exploring Paris with every new building,Church or Palace I came across. Now it's incredible to play without the Mini Map. It feels like a real life Paris (aside the lags and glitches)

LoyalACFan
12-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I play with nothing but the minimap. Assassin's Creed's UI and notifications have been so godawful in recent years that I can't stand to play with any of them on.

Aphex_Tim
12-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I play with nothing but the minimap. Assassin's Creed's UI and notifications have been so godawful in recent years that I can't stand to play with any of them on.

Same here.
On top of that, who's genius idea was it to have notifications overlap info texts? Extremely annoying, particularly during murder mysteries.

rrebe
12-24-2014, 11:12 PM
Same here.
On top of that, who's genius idea was it to have notifications overlap info texts? Extremely annoying, particularly during murder mysteries.

Oh that one.. drives me crazy :D

LoyalACFan
12-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Same here.

Oh god, don't remind me XD Nothing more annoying than a gigantic popup saying "YOU FOUND AN INCRIMINATING LETTER! IT'S THAT ONE YOU'RE READING RIGHT NOW!"

Matknapers18
12-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Same here.

Finally. I knew someone would bring that up. Jesus, that drove me absolutely insane!

AdamPearce
12-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Why bother with the minimap ?

Just keep the high ground Icons and you're good to go, use markers here and there (takes like 3 sec) to get direction and boom, you've got yourself an awesome game.

Though, I still hate Ubisoft for constantly holding my hand even after I have chosen to play without help by removing the bloody UI !. The blue/ green/ red indicators on every bloody objectives drive me nuts. I know where I have to go, the guy just told me ''Steal the two calices at Notre-Dame'', why do you feel the need to point me out the location with a huge popooing green marker ? I mena it's not like the building was 200 feet high and that I'm litterally next to it... Really does suck.

EmptyCrustacean
12-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Same here.

Oh my God and it lingers forever! As if our reading comprehension is that of 3 year olds! They still haven't fixed the overlapping menus either.

mattyink
12-25-2014, 04:28 AM
Yup no mini map for me either. And i usually have selective on the main map. Its good cuz if you zoom out you wont see everything. Just wish i could at least know where North South etc was without the mini map.

Ureh
12-25-2014, 04:47 AM
Yup no mini map for me either. And i usually have selective on the main map. Its good cuz if you zoom out you wont see everything. Just wish i could at least know where North South etc was without the mini map.

Is it possible to correlate the landmarks with NSEW? Maybe Notre Dame could serve as a reference point. The western facade has two towers right?

Like in AC2 I used Santa Croce as the east, Novella is on the west, etc.

Wolfmeister1010
12-25-2014, 04:50 AM
weapon streaks

weapon streaks

weapon streaks

weapon

streaks

http://i.imgur.com/XCKfzG5.gif

wvstolzing
12-25-2014, 05:13 AM
I turn everything off as well.

Even then, there's an insane amount of hand-holding. At this level of graphical fidelity, players should be trusted to find locations (or whatever target they're going for) by address, or by various visual clues.

SixKeys
12-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Why bother with the minimap ?

Just keep the high ground Icons and you're good to go, use markers here and there (takes like 3 sec) to get direction and boom, you've got yourself an awesome game.

Though, I still hate Ubisoft for constantly holding my hand even after I have chosen to play without help by removing the bloody UI !. The blue/ green/ red indicators on every bloody objectives drive me nuts. I know where I have to go, the guy just told me ''Steal the two calices at Notre-Dame'', why do you feel the need to point me out the location with a huge popooing green marker ? I mena it's not like the building was 200 feet high and that I'm litterally next to it... Really does suck.

Notre Dame might be easy enough to locate, but Paris has a crapton of lesser known landmarks. Try finding the mission when the NPC says something like "it's located at La Nouvaeu St Justine". Also a lot of underground passages which can be a headache.

Shahkulu101
12-25-2014, 07:17 AM
This isn't totally relevant but I was relaying missions for full sync and realized I loved the design of this game so much, I love the distraction opportunities, the secret entrances, the unique kills -- but the mechanics are so awful and makes the missions pretty frustrating for me. The AI inconsistent and has a hive mind effect, snipers are ****ing robots with their ridiculous line of sight (and there's tons of them distributed everywhere so you can't move on the rooftops) and the cover system is notoriously bad. The design is good enough that the assassinations are still thrilling when you pull them off, but the game would have been special if the mechanics were as great and controls as slick as say, Splinter Cell Blacklist. Or the surprisingly great stealth game W_D.

it's strange that AC is Ubisoft's flagship franchise yet mechanically it's the worst of them all and they nail the exact things they get wrong in AC with their other games. How was Splinter Cell's cover system so smooth and intuitive yet ACU's is terrible? Why is Far Cry's AI smart but fair when ACU's is a mix of utter stupidity and telepathic like senses? I just don't get why after so many games not one has managed to have good mechanics.

Defalt221
12-25-2014, 11:33 AM
This isn't totally relevant but I was relaying missions for full sync and realized I loved the design of this game so much, I love the distraction opportunities, the secret entrances, the unique kills -- but the mechanics are so awful and makes the missions pretty frustrating for me. The AI inconsistent and has a hive mind effect, snipers are ****ing robots with their ridiculous line of sight (and there's tons of them distributed everywhere so you can't move on the rooftops) and the cover system is notoriously bad. The design is good enough that the assassinations are still thrilling when you pull them off, but the game would have been special if the mechanics were as great and controls as slick as say, Splinter Cell Blacklist. Or the surprisingly great stealth game W_D.

it's strange that AC is Ubisoft's flagship franchise yet mechanically it's the worst of them all and they nail the exact things they get wrong in AC with their other games. How was Splinter Cell's cover system so smooth and intuitive yet ACU's is terrible? Why is Far Cry's AI smart but fair when ACU's is a mix of utter stupidity and telepathic like senses? I just don't get why after so many games not one has managed to have good mechanics.

I'm only 45 % into the story. Just asking are there any more of those BEAUTIFUL ASSASSINATIONS like that awesome confessional kill on Notre Dame?

Shahkulu101
12-25-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm only 45 % into the story. Just asking are there any more of those BEAUTIFUL ASSASSINATIONS like that awesome confessional kill on Notre Dame?

Sivert's assassination is definitely the best, but there are a couple of other great ones with some awesome unique kills. There's one in Versailles that is particularly creative.

aL_____eX
12-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Sivert's assassination is definitely the best, but there are a couple of other great ones with some awesome unique kills. There's one in Versailles that is particularly creative.
It's not quite a huge mission but it's maybe the best one I've seen in the franchise. Generally I can relate to everything you said before, the blackbox missions with their opportunities are awesome, but the AI in this game is so annoying. It feels like the guards use wall hacks 90% of the time and when one guard spots you, red !s pop up all over the place and everyone's alerted - and I'm just like 'whaaaat?'

If they improve the stealth mechanics and mission design which is introduced in Unity, Victory is gonna be one the most assassinish game we've seen.

Defalt221
12-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Whoa. Thanks. I'm replaying that Sivert mission AGAIN. Though the game lags at Notre Dame 4 some reason which is frustrating.