PDA

View Full Version : Dear Ubisoft (Unity ending spoilers)

KingHippo6
12-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Dear Ubisoft,

I finished Unity a couple of days ago and decided to sign up here in case you wanted to know what I thought about it. Now I wasn't particulary fond of the endings, both the main story and the modern day but let's focus on the main story. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it seemed rather stupid and pointless to kill off a major character when it doesn't advance the plot at all. To me it looked like a cheap idea of "hey, let's kill her so the players feel sorry for Arno" or something like that. But then again, I'm not a scriptwriter and I don't know your creative team. Maybe stupid and pointless was exactly what they were looking for. However, I have to say that I didn't feel sorry for him, I was more like pissed off. But I guess you were trying to make people emotional and sure, being pissed off is an emotion so I'll give you that. Mission accomplished.

And then I started to think about it and I've played AC games before so I like to think I know what they're like. And pretty much all their stories range from bittersweet to depressing. You know: "yeah, I saved the world but all my friends are dead". You get the idea. So I was thinking that if your intention in the end is to make the players miserable, then why don't you do it properly and go all the way. Come on Ubi, let's go all in! I'll use Unity's ending as an example. Here's what I would have done: So Arno stabs Germain in the neck and picks Elise up but she's not dead. She opens her eyes and is dizzy (concussion) and says something like "Did we do it? Did we kill him?" and Arno says "Yeah we did" and then they leave the cave. End of sequence. Now some players might be thinking that "hey, they both survived, that's cool" but those of us who have played these games know that it's not going to happen, not in the AC universe. So then we have a scene that says 9-10 months later and what do you know, Elise is pregnant. They're going to have a baby! Or better yet, they're going to have twins, a dark haired boy and a red haired girl. Isn't that sweet. But then something goes terribly wrong, there will be complications and Elise dies in childbirth. Oh no! But wait, there's more. The twins die too or maybe they never lived. Anyways, Arno is devastated. He gets drunk, sets Cafe Theatre on fire, climbs on top of Notre Dame and hangs himself. Oh sorry, I forgot the ancestor thing. Ok, so he gets drunk and burns Cafe Theatre to the ground, bangs the first street prostitute he can find (that way the lineage continues), then climbs on top of Notre Dame and hangs himself. There, that's better. What do you think, Ubi? Isn't that a depressing ending? Just the way you like them.

OK, let's get serious. The biggest reason I was upset after the game was over was because I thought the story had a ton of potential. I really did. OK, not necessarily this revenge story but it could've been a beginning of something great. Just think about it, Ubi. I saw it almost like a once in a lifetime opportunity to really explore what would happen if the assassins and the templars tried to coexist in peace, what kinds of tensions it would create and why in the end it wouldn't work out. Yes, we already know that it wouldn't work but still it would've been nice to see it. And what about Arno and Elise then? Well here's one scenario. Maybe they start a family and have children. Maybe some of their children become assassins and some of them become templars. That could be interesting. Maybe those tensions I mentioned earlier break their family apart and they are forced to fight each other and their own children too. Maybe they find out Napoleon has the Apple and try to get their hands on it before the other one does. And maybe in the end they have to find a way to reunite the family in order to fight Napoleon together. That's the kind of story I would like to see but I'm never going to get it. Ever. This isn't Hollywood where they have remakes of movies that are decades old. Nobody's ever going to do a Unity remake. They should but they won't.

So there you have it, Ubi. A ton of potential and a once in a lifetime opportunity. And you didn't take it. Why not? What's the point of telling stories if you're not going to do it properly? Why do you settle for mediocrity?

Thanks for reading. Merry Christmas.

SixKeys
12-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Now some players might be thinking that "hey, they both survived, that's cool" but those of us who have played these games know that it's not going to happen, not in the AC universe. So then we have a scene that says 9-10 months later and what do you know, Elise is pregnant. They're going to have a baby! Or better yet, they're going to have twins, a dark haired boy and a red haired girl. Isn't that sweet. But then something goes terribly wrong, there will be complications and Elise dies in childbirth. Oh no! But wait, there's more. The twins die too or maybe they never lived. Anyways, Arno is devastated. He gets drunk, sets Cafe Theatre on fire, climbs on top of Notre Dame and hangs himself. Oh sorry, I forgot the ancestor thing. Ok, so he gets drunk and burns Cafe Theatre to the ground, bangs the first street prostitute he can find (that way the lineage continues), then climbs on top of Notre Dame and hangs himself. There, that's better. What do you think, Ubi? Isn't that a depressing ending? Just the way you like them.

Lmaooooo I would pay to see this.

Namikaze_17
12-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Yay!!! Another "Dear Ubisoft" Thread. :rolleyes:

*Reads Post*

http://i.imgur.com/jwfV6IQ.gif

Altair1789
12-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Arno is devastated. He gets drunk, sets Cafe Theatre on fire, climbs on top of Notre Dame and hangs himself.

That would be hilarious

Hans684
12-24-2014, 11:53 PM
At this story sounds better, doesn't change the fact that we never needed to relive his memories. So still a waste but a better waste.