PDA

View Full Version : AC 2 Thoughts

Revs_To_Red
12-24-2014, 01:00 PM
It might not matter now because the game is old as hell, but I've recently bought AC 2. I paid $5, and you know what. It's freaking disappointment. I mean it's not even worth $5. Hard to imagine people's opinion, who paid full price. So, what troubles me is Ubisoft in general. It's not the first time, when they release the game just to continue the series(Far Cry 2, Splinter Cell etc), it doesn't matter if it makes any sense. As long as they can sell something it's absolutely fine with them, i guess. OK, now i'll share what disappointed me in AC 2. They had 2 years gap between AC 1 and 2, and I see no progress. Movements system is still shot. He is clumsy, and stupid with his movements. Graphics are no different from the first game. Ubi certanely introduced lots of features like Vila development, new armor, weapons, dresses bla bla bla. It's just to distract me. Battle system is silly. I mean, Azio can deflect any strikes? He hasn't been trained much. Although, he became an assassin like he had been born to be him. Enemies can strike all together! Of course no, it's too boring. I was hoping, that an amazing plot would save me from bad thought and i could dive into amazing world of assassins. Well, nope! Not even close. Em, his father assassin. OK. Got killed. OK. Azio wants revenge. That's understandable. He killed one guy, then another, then others. Is it a joy behind all this? Or he simply believes that he is doing the right thing. Azio is arrogant, showoff *******, but he wants to look wise and respectful. Whole bunch of boring missions like you go and free imprisoned thieves. Bring them back? Useless thieves i'd say. Collect sth, climb somewhere. Waste of time, just to stretch the game time a bit. In the game I'm able to steal from citizens. but what's the purpose. I get 10-15 useless coins, but it gives me notoriety. Pointless. So, now I am trying to decide. I've played Unity, and the games impressed me quite a bit so far. However, I want to see the whole story, from the first game to the last. I've got concerns about playing all AC games. Maybe only if i download them for free, then yes. Because, Ubi doesn't deserve that money.

Lignjoslav
12-25-2014, 03:03 AM
Rofl!

Ryk_Feral
12-25-2014, 03:45 AM
That's kind of like talking about the quality of FFVII compared to today.
Or comparing the differences between RE1 and RE2.

Remember, you're comparing 2 games from quite awhile ago. They're going to seem similar to each other no matter what with faults.

BurnedRook
12-25-2014, 04:36 AM
If I remember correctly, they explain a lot of >Ezio<'s skills through the beginning:
1) He was a troublemaking brawler as a kid, so he got into a lot of fights. This explains his decent combat skills.
2) He was seeing a woman that whose father didn't like him. This caused him to sneak around and use alternate means to see her. This explains the building climbing and balance, if not even the stealth skills he seems to have at the beginning.

As for the story:
Ezio is a new assassin, he was suddenly thrown into it. Also, he is brash and arrogant in a lot of his manners, he's still young (at least as an assassin). He came from a upper-class lifestyle where he was sheltered quite a bit from recrimination. Brotherhood and Revelations continue his story and he ends up maturing quite a bit as he struggles to mature not only as an adult but as an assassin.

VoldR
12-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Well I guess if u want to see the plot unfolds only without paying for the old games, ur left with playthroughs on utube.If u want commentaries, cant help u there.If u just want campaign stuff, well that's what I'm hoping to achieve, making playthroughs strictly plot only no side missions unless it brings some story element I'm also trying to arrange the story chronologically with no animus interruption. A few exceptions...This includes flashbacks from brotherhood in the AC2 playthrough.http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/948558-Assassin-s-Creed-timeline-SPOILERS?

Fatal-Feit
12-25-2014, 05:30 AM
It might not matter now because the game is old as hell, but I've recently bought AC 2. I paid $5, and you know what. It's freaking disappointment. I mean it's not even worth $5. Hard to imagine people's opinion, who paid full price. So, what troubles me is Ubisoft in general. It's not the first time, when they release the game just to continue the series(Far Cry 2, Splinter Cell etc), it doesn't matter if it makes any sense. As long as they can sell something it's absolutely fine with them, i guess.

It was dreadful considering the fact that the DRM required players to be signed in with an internet connection just to play this single-player game.

OK, now i'll share what disappointed me in AC 2. They had 2 years gap between AC 1 and 2, and I see no progress. Movements system is still shot. He is clumsy, and stupid with his movements.

In its defense, AC2 was in production for a year and a half. --About the time Brotherhood (1 year), Revelations (1 year), and (quite possibly) Rogue have been in production for. They had to cut corners somewhere... The only time we've seen a huge, huge gap in almost everything for the franchise are AC3 and ACU.

Also, clumsiness and ''stupid'' movements have always plagued the franchise.

Graphics are no different from the first game.

Actually, they are significantly worse. The draw distance is the worse in the franchise, textures are very poor, and the lighting and atmosphere is nowhere as good as the first.

Ubi certanely introduced lots of features like Vila development, new armor, weapons, dresses bla bla bla. It's just to distract me.

As I said, they had to cut corners somewhere. You'll probably hate its sequels, in that case.

Battle system is silly. I mean, Azio can deflect any strikes? He hasn't been trained much. Although, he became an assassin like he had been born to be him. Enemies can strike all together!

Ezio*

I agree, the combat is worse than the first. Instead of evolving or adding more weight, they added some filler mechanics like disarming and so on. Regarding his capabilities, Ezio is no stranger to brawls. I mean, it's noted that he's been in many, many fights before. And his father was an Assassin. --Surely he has inherited some talent for melee.

Of course no, it's too boring. I was hoping, that an amazing plot would save me from bad thought and i could dive into amazing world of assassins. Well, nope! Not even close. Em, his father assassin. OK. Got killed. OK. Azio wants revenge. That's understandable. He killed one guy, then another, then others. Is it a joy behind all this? Or he simply believes that he is doing the right thing.

Agreed. Unlike most other protagonists, Ezio doesn't have an engaging development story. It's the usual revenge plot, but even that doesn't enhance the character. The Ezio you see from sequence 1 is the same Ezio in sequence 14. Without spoiling much, the ''development'' Ezio appears to have towards the final sequences coincides with the process itself. In fact, I would argue that his attempts in moving on contradicts itself. The only main differences are his abilities, but I don't count that as character development.

Azio is arrogant, showoff *******, but he wants to look wise and respectful.

Ugh.

Whole bunch of boring missions like you go and free imprisoned thieves. Bring them back? Useless thieves i'd say. Collect sth, climb somewhere. Waste of time, just to stretch the game time a bit. In the game I'm able to steal from citizens. but what's the purpose. I get 10-15 useless coins, but it gives me notoriety. Pointless.

Sadly, I've to agree with this, as well. Tonnes and tonnes of filler, especially the Venice sequences.

So, now I am trying to decide. I've played Unity, and the games impressed me quite a bit so far. However, I want to see the whole story, from the first game to the last. I've got concerns about playing all AC games. Maybe only if i download them for free, then yes. Because, Ubi doesn't deserve that money.

Watch the cut-scenes on Youtube.

Anykeyer
12-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Actually, they are significantly worse. The draw distance is the worse in the franchise, textures are very poor, and the lighting and atmosphere is nowhere as good as the first.

Right. But it still looked good thanks to dynamic day-night cycle.
A lot of ppl would say otherwise but AC2 is far from being great. Stealth were practially non-existent in most missions, combat too clumsy, story black and white (plus some ridiculously embrassassing stupidity like an attempt to win a mask in order to "sneak" into a party). ACB changed most of it for the better (apart form the story).