PDA

View Full Version : Joy and Sorrow - Joining the Flash Whiners

panthercules
03-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Well - I've been away from the game for a while (decided to sit out the last couple of patches), eagerly awaiting the AEP as my trigger to plunge back in. It finally arrived the other day, and I loaded it up with great anticipation - I'd been waiting since day 1 of IL-2, so long ago, to finally fly my favorite mount - the Bf-110.

Everything loaded up just fine, and I immediately fired up a QMB with my 110 against a pair of B-17s. That's the Joy part.

After almost getting shot down by the bombers' gunners 'cause I was still busy marvelling at my cockpit and stuff, I came around for another pass and hit the fire button. And now the sorrow - total flash blindness - couldn't see a dam thing - no chance to see my shells tearing into the B-17's starboard engines (noticed that on the replay), no chance to see anything at all. Every burst was like that - totally ruined the experience.

I'd seen all the posts whining about the gun flashes over the past couple of years, and while I tended to agree that they were a bit "over-modelled" they had never bothered me much, even through the 100 or so missions in my trusty nose-gunned Bf-109s as "Maus" in the wonderful Experten campaign. But this was just unbelievable.

I know Oleg has said this can't/won't be fixed, and that makes me really sad, as it pretty much rules out flying the one plane I've really been looking forward to for the last couple of years. Fortunately, there's so much awesome stuff in this game that I'm sure I'll find something else cool to compensate for this, but what a shame. I sure hope they fix this for the next sim - I can't stand the thought of not being able to fly a 110 in the BOB.

panthercules
03-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Well - I've been away from the game for a while (decided to sit out the last couple of patches), eagerly awaiting the AEP as my trigger to plunge back in. It finally arrived the other day, and I loaded it up with great anticipation - I'd been waiting since day 1 of IL-2, so long ago, to finally fly my favorite mount - the Bf-110.

Everything loaded up just fine, and I immediately fired up a QMB with my 110 against a pair of B-17s. That's the Joy part.

After almost getting shot down by the bombers' gunners 'cause I was still busy marvelling at my cockpit and stuff, I came around for another pass and hit the fire button. And now the sorrow - total flash blindness - couldn't see a dam thing - no chance to see my shells tearing into the B-17's starboard engines (noticed that on the replay), no chance to see anything at all. Every burst was like that - totally ruined the experience.

I'd seen all the posts whining about the gun flashes over the past couple of years, and while I tended to agree that they were a bit "over-modelled" they had never bothered me much, even through the 100 or so missions in my trusty nose-gunned Bf-109s as "Maus" in the wonderful Experten campaign. But this was just unbelievable.

I know Oleg has said this can't/won't be fixed, and that makes me really sad, as it pretty much rules out flying the one plane I've really been looking forward to for the last couple of years. Fortunately, there's so much awesome stuff in this game that I'm sure I'll find something else cool to compensate for this, but what a shame. I sure hope they fix this for the next sim - I can't stand the thought of not being able to fly a 110 in the BOB.

BlitzPig_Ritter
03-16-2004, 09:07 AM
The flash thing is ashame, but you're right, there is so much else to enjoy in FB/AEP that its mre than compensated for.