PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER] Did Arno regain is Assassin status?

Ibrahim265039
12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
He got exiled, but what happened afterwards? He got the master Assassin outfit, but how??

Abeonis
12-22-2014, 05:46 PM
He got exiled, but what happened afterwards? He got the master Assassin outfit, but how??

He got invited back; presumably at some point between the conclusion of Dead Kings and the "Many Years later..." video we see in-game. As to how, or why he was invited back is currently unknown.

Autopsad
12-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Well, nobody knows...

But we can assume that he created his own "nomad" brotherhood as it's called in the companion app... But again, it's just an assumption.

Jackdaw951
12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
If I hadn't finished the game already, I would be incensed with this thread's title. Knowing that Arno lost his assassin's status is itself a spoiler. Please: no spoilers in thread titles!

EmptyCrustacean
12-22-2014, 06:45 PM

Who knows? He seems to be able to roam around in the Assassin hide-out and he does gain a Master Assassin robe at the end but it's never really made clear.

Hans684
12-22-2014, 07:51 PM
The Unity book should explain it, wait a minute...

Later Life:

After the death of Élise and Germain in the Temple, Arno lived in Versailles, out of sight of the Assassins. He continued to visit Élise's grave, and proclaimed himself redeemed of his previous mistakes. There, he was met by the outcast Assassin Bernard Ruddock, an acquaintance of Élise. Ruddock gave Arno a letter that Élise had written in the event of her death, explaining a number of her actions and directing him to find her chest of keepsakes. She only asked that Arno allow Ruddock to keep a pack of letters that she had been given by Jennifer Scott on her trip to London, which would allow Ruddock to gain favour with the Assassin Council and rejoin the Creed.

Arno agreed to honor her wishes, took Ruddock's address and told him he would be in touch once he had obtained the letters and Élise's chest, Arno also agreed that he would endorse any efforts he made to win favor with the Assassins. Arno traveled to the Maison Royale where he met Élise's teacher, Mr. Weatherall and was given the chest as promised, but the visit soon turned sour.

Ruddock had followed Arno and betrayed him, attempting to kill him on the order of the British Templars. However, Ruddock was killed by Mr. Weatherall before he could shoot Arno. Arno stayed with Élise's friends during the years following her death, having been invited to stay by her former maid out of respect to her mistress. He also rejoined the Brotherhood sometime afterwards, eventually becoming a Master Assassin.

In 1808, Arno entered the Temple once more, accompanied by Napoleon Bonaparte. There, they discovered Germain's corpse which had long since decayed. They then buried his skeletal remains in the Parisian catacombs.

wvstolzing
12-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Yeah the thread title needs editing.....

His exile doesn't make a lick of sense to begin with ... it's like he's being expelled from the boy scouts: Assassins would have had to kill him on the spot. They show him the door, so that he'd take his training, skills, and presumably the secrets he knows, elsewhere?

EmptyCrustacean
12-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah the thread title needs editing.....

His exile doesn't make a lick of sense to begin with ... it's like he's being expelled from the boy scouts: Assassins would have had to kill him on the spot. They show him the door, so that he'd take his training, skills, and presumably the secrets he knows, elsewhere?

This isn't the Templar Order or Maysaf.

Modern Assassins wouldn't do that.

Assassin_M
12-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Am I the only one who didn't need one million threads or the game to spell it out for me to know that YES, he friggin rejoined the brotherhood? There are Co-op missions after the ending, Arno has his Master Assassin robes, what else do you need to tell you that YES, he rejoined the brotherhood? ACU has a lot of flaws in its narrative but this is not one of them to be honest.

EmptyCrustacean
12-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Am I the only one who didn't need one million threads or the game to spell it out for me to know that YES, he friggin rejoined the brotherhood? There are Co-op missions after the ending, Arno has his Master Assassin robes, what else do you need to tell you that YES, he rejoined the brotherhood? ACU has a lot of flaws in its narrative but this is not one of them to be honest.

I bet you're one of those people that shout profanities down their mic during multiplayer.

Assassin_M
12-22-2014, 09:23 PM
I bet you're one of those people that shout profanities down their mic during multiplayer.
I don't play online multiplayer and if I did, no, I probably would not shout profanities down the headphones of people I don't know. I also wouldn't make silly assumptions about people I don't know.

Namikaze_17
12-22-2014, 09:30 PM

Now what good comes out of insulting someone?

EmptyCrustacean
12-22-2014, 09:31 PM
I don't play online multiplayer and if I did, no, I probably would not shout profanities down the headphones of people I don't know. I also wouldn't make silly assumptions about people I don't know.

Good. I'm glad you don't play multiplayer because that requires team work, patience and an empathy towards others which, from reading some of your responses to FMs, you seem to lack. Have a nice Christmas.

EmptyCrustacean
12-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Now what good comes out of insulting someone, hm?

I was about to ask Assassin_M the same question.

Namikaze_17
12-22-2014, 09:35 PM
I was about to ask Assassin_M the same question.

When...did he insult you?

He wasn't talking to you.

EmptyCrustacean
12-22-2014, 09:39 PM

He/she talks to people like that all the time not just in this thread and it's beginning to grate.

Assassin_M
12-22-2014, 09:40 PM

It's alright, people just like to be white knights of justice.

Have a nice Christmas.
I don't celebrate Christmas.

Kaschra
12-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Good. I'm glad you don't play multiplayer because that requires team work, patience and an empathy towards others which, from reading some of your responses to FMs, you seem to lack. Have a nice Christmas.

Ah yes, the good ol' making assumptions about people you don't even know.
Amazing :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
12-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Ah yes, the good ol' making assumptions about people you don't even know.
Amazing :rolleyes:

It's beautiful isn't it? :cool:

EmptyCrustacean
12-22-2014, 10:05 PM
It's great that Assassin_M has so many good friends to jump in an rescue him/her when he's called out on bad behaviour. :)

Assassin_M
12-22-2014, 10:09 PM
It's great that Assassin_M has so many good friends to jump in an rescue him/her when he's called out on bad behaviour. :)
Makes you wonder why they'd like a slimeball jerk such as myself.

Kaschra
12-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Are you some child trying to start a fight or something?
Because that's what you sound like.
Please stop it.

Namikaze_17
12-22-2014, 10:16 PM
Makes you wonder why they'd like a slimeball jerk such as myself.

Jerks like Jerks. :cool:

Nah, I'm jk.

Bashilir
12-22-2014, 11:31 PM

The question was more of a HOW did he join back. The narrative flaw is the fact that we're not told anything about his rejoining yet we beat the game and he has a Master Assassin Outfit and can walk around the Sanctuary like nothing happened.

wvstolzing
12-23-2014, 12:09 AM
He would've had to flee the Assassins, who would be out to hunt him; then he'd meet Shay, and join the Templars. And then he'd find out that Shay is the murderer of his father, kill Shay, flee the Templars ... and ... aaaand .... Actually even this much makes better sense, than him being 'exiled'.

Assassin_M
12-23-2014, 02:28 AM
The question was more of a HOW did he join back. The narrative flaw is the fact that we're not told anything about his rejoining yet we beat the game and he has a Master Assassin Outfit and can walk around the Sanctuary like nothing happened.
Sure, that could be seen as a flaw (Not for me, to be honest) But the question of whether or not he rejoined is quite obviously shown in the game.

Assassin_M
12-23-2014, 02:29 AM
He would've had to flee the Assassins, who would be out to hunt him; then he'd meet Shay, and join the Templars. And then he'd find out that Shay is the murderer of his father, kill Shay, flee the Templars ... and ... aaaand .... Actually even this much makes better sense, than him being 'exiled'.
Maybe it's because he never broke the tenants that they never tried to kill him and hey, they seem to know pretty well when information is leaking and then they proceed to clog that leak off, so I guess they didn't see any danger in Arno for now

wvstolzing
12-23-2014, 03:29 AM
Maybe it's because he never broke the tenants that they never tried to kill him and hey, they seem to know pretty well when information is leaking and then they proceed to clog that leak off, so I guess they didn't see any danger in Arno for now

But wasn't he expelled *precisely* because he broke the 3 tenets? If I'm not misremembering, that's what they tell him explicitly.
To be honest, that scene was midway between a teenage romance breakup (you really don't care about us, do you?), and high school expulsion.
But then again, hardly anything that happens after Sequence 10 makes a lick of sense; so who cares...

Assassin_M
12-23-2014, 03:45 AM
But wasn't he expelled *precisely* because he broke the 3 tenets? If I'm not misremembering, that's what they tell him explicitly.
To be honest, that scene was midway between a teenage romance breakup (you really don't care about us, do you?), and high school expulsion.
But then again, hardly anything that happens after Sequence 10 makes a lick of sense; so who cares...
Nah, it's because he was rebellious and never followed orders. I think it went like this: "You have defied the orders of this council, pursued targets without reason and flouted our creed at every step" The last part is kind of what Edward did but nowhere to they mention him breaking the tenants.

wvstolzing
12-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Nah, it's because he was rebellious and never followed orders. I think it went like this: "You have defied the orders of this council, pursued targets without reason and flouted our creed at every step" The last part is kind of what Edward did but nowhere to they mention him breaking the tenants.

Yeah, you're right about the council's more mitigated decree -- but still, when they first accept Arno, he's told that the old Arno is dead, a new Arno is born, etc., which implies that becoming an Assassin is an absolute commitment, that you're bound by your very life. Then, they just show him the door, as though it were nothing more than a club membership.

That kind of thing is really what bothers me in half-assery -- they do certain things so well, and so beautifully, that things that they don't put much thought into stick out all the worse.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Yes he did regain his Assassin status. When this was however we don't and probably never will know.

Ubisoft seems to enjoy writing half complete stories. They're getting lazy.

They have this fetish with never concluding a story. Shay, Aveline, Connor and now presumably Arno. Hell they don't even need to give us a detailed synopsis of his entire life like Altair and Ezio. They just need to give a brief summary of what they did, instead of leaving it completely open. It's laziness.

VestigialLlama4
12-23-2014, 11:39 AM

So a game about an Assassin ends up hanging if he is still an official Assassin or not...it's like if you are playing a soldier in a shooting game and it ends ambiguously if you are still a soldier or a mercenary/freelance psycho.

Obviously the Assassin Council realizing how unlikable and ineffective they are realize that they are drawing thin on quality recruits and so they settle with a rank mediocrity like Arno because they aren't spoiled for choices.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-23-2014, 11:45 AM
The Unity book should explain it, wait a minute...

...Arno lived in Versailles, out of sight of the Assassins. He continued to visit Élise's grave, and proclaimed himself redeemed of his previous mistakes... He also rejoined the Brotherhood sometime afterwards, eventually becoming a Master Assassin.

I hate to break it to the book, but Arno got back his Assassin robes before Elise's death.

Assassins would have had to kill him on the spot.

I rather think they would have stripped him of his rank, the same as they did with Altair. But I agree, the exile thing makes no sense. As with so many aspects of Unity's story, it's just a juvenile way of trying to make the player get emotionally attached to Arno, but without any build-up, it just doesn't work.

Hans684
12-23-2014, 12:23 PM
I hate to break it to the book, but Arno got back his Assassin robes before Elise's death.

Got or never gave it back after being exiled. It's 50/50 chances.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Got or never gave it back after being exiled. It's 50/50 chances.

Well, it's quite clear from the gameplay that he's not actually exiled at all. He gets to keep the house that they gave him, and he can visit the Assassin hideout anytime he wants to. As with so many other things in this game, there is no internal consistency between any aspect of the game and any other.

Hans684
12-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, it's quite clear from the gameplay that he's not actually exiled at all.

The story disagree.

He gets to keep the house that they gave him, and he can visit the Assassin hideout anytime he wants to. As with so many other things in this game, there is no internal consistency between any aspect of the game and any other.

Story wise he got wasted at Versailles until Elise showed up. And gameplay can't always follow the story, so if they blocked all those things with those animus walls. Then we would be forced to play the next mission. It's gameplay freedom over narrative in this case.

joelsantos24
12-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Obviously, yes, he rejoined the Brotherhood. Now, how it happened, that's a complete mystery. One, which the book will hopefully clear out. The story seemed rushed, I mean, 2-3 memories in 12 sequences? And the ending, even more so, in my opinion.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-23-2014, 02:46 PM
The story disagree.

Which is my point - the story and the gameplay disagree, making the game internally inconsistent.

gameplay can't always follow the story...

Balderdash! Gameplay MUST always follow the story, otherwise it results in the very questions and accusations of laziness and mismanagement that we see in this thread.

...so if they blocked all those things with those animus walls. Then we would be forced to play the next mission. It's gameplay freedom over narrative in this case.

LOL! A poor excuse for a development team not doing their job. The fact is, they shoehorned Arno's exile into the game when the game as they had built it (with Arno's house attached to the Assassin hideout, as if he becomes the head of the Parisian Assassins at the end of his training :rolleyes: ) was not capable of supporting it. It's a case of the right hand not knowing - and not caring - what the left hand was doing. If development of the game had been properly managed, with an internally consistent plot and game structure (so that either Arno's house was not attached to the Assassin hideout, or so that his exile resulted in him losing his house until he was re-admitted to the order), we wouldn't have to be making up excuses for the developers.

And it's not as if we don't know why all of this was bungled. Six months more development would have ironed out all these inconsistencies. So let's please stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Hans684
12-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Which is my point - the story and the gameplay disagree, making the game internally inconsistent.

I know.

Balderdash! Gameplay MUST always follow the story, otherwise it results in the very questions and accusations of laziness and mismanagement that we see in this thread.

I agree but with the current style AC uses that's going to be a bit problematic, Amancio favored gameplay over narrative, it's why Unity is as it is.

LOL! A poor excuse for a development team not doing their job. The fact is, they shoehorned Arno's exile into the game when the game as they had built it (with Arno's house attached to the Assassin hideout, as if he becomes the head of the Parisian Assassins at the end of his training :rolleyes: ) was not capable of supporting it. It's a case of the right hand not knowing - and not caring - what the left hand was doing. If development of the game had been properly managed, with an internally consistent plot and game structure (so that either Arno's house was not attached to the Assassin hideout, or so that his exile resulted in him losing his house until he was re-admitted to the order), we wouldn't have to be making up excuses for the developers.

That's Amancio's style, gameplay freedom over narrative.

And it's not as if we don't know why all of this was bungled. Six months more development would have ironed out all these inconsistencies. So let's please stop trying to defend the indefensible.

I'm not defending anything, just saying it as it is. If the gameplay followed the story, then we should have lost everything and be forced to the next mission. Because that way the story and gameplay would be in sync but that does not give the gameplay freedom Amancio wanted. So it didn't happen.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-23-2014, 04:19 PM
That's Amancio's style, gameplay freedom over narrative.

Which is why I think Amancio shouldn't be directing Assassin's Creed development teams, because he is incapable of merging gameplay with narrative or with fidelity to history. Unity proves he is incompetent as an artistic director.

Assassin_M
12-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Well, it's quite clear from the gameplay that he's not actually exiled at all. He gets to keep the house that they gave him, and he can visit the Assassin hideout anytime he wants to. As with so many other things in this game, there is no internal consistency between any aspect of the game and any other.
Weren't you the one who said "if a game forces you to do something, it's doing it wrong"? How about some consistency, mate? The Theatre is a large source of income, close it off and most players will likely grind through the story to be able to access it again. As for the council, it's just part of the Cafe, it'd look even dumber if you can enter the cafe but not the council, seeing as it IS right below it.

Such as you have argued for freedom to choose between combat and stealth, the world doesn't NEED to be forcefully closed off because of a section in the story. You want to close it off? Do it, it's what I did. I never visited the Cafe nor the council because I had the freedom to restrict myself from doing so as it was placed by the story.

So a game about an Assassin ends up hanging if he is still an official Assassin or not...it's like if you are playing a soldier in a shooting game and it ends ambiguously if you are still a soldier or a mercenary/freelance psycho.

Obviously the Assassin Council realizing how unlikable and ineffective they are realize that they are drawing thin on quality recruits and so they settle with a rank mediocrity like Arno because they aren't spoiled for choices.
As I said, the game obviously points out that he rejoins the brotherhood and becomes a Master Assassin. There're co-op missions that take place AFTER the story, there are social club missions (and those are missions straight from the council) that take place AFTER the story and he has the outfit. There's nothing ambiguous about this.

The problem people are discussing (or should be anyway) is HOW this was shown. I don't mind that we didn't get to see how he was allowed back but a lot of people do and that's understandable.

Journey95
12-26-2014, 03:43 AM
lazy writing nothing more but with Unity's writers its no surprise