PDA

View Full Version : Can this harm my computer?

timpbader
12-21-2014, 11:43 PM
This is what UBI Support is asking me to do and I don't know enough to decide if these steps could cause problems to my pc that currently runs GREAT (except ACU of course).
After installing DirectX, follow these steps:

1. Open your Start menu and look for Run (Win XP), Start search (Win Vista), Search programs and files (Win 7), or Search (Win 8). You can also press the Windows key and the "R" key at the same time.
2. In the Open box, type "dxdiag" (without the quotes) and click OK.
3. Once the DxDiag file is open, click on the "Save all information...” button.
4. Click the save button to save the file as a text file to your Desktop.
5. Click on Start --> Run.
6. In the Open box, type "msinfo32" (without the quotes) and click OK.
7. When the program comes up, click on File and select Save.
8. Click the "save" button to save the file as an .nfo file to your Desktop.
9. Click on the URL (web link) for your incident in this email.
10. Type in your Uplay login name and password and click Login. Click on 'My Questions' to find your incident.
11. Click on the question you wish to update and click 'Update Question'.
12. Type a response in the "Results and/or Additional Information" section.
13. Click "Browse" and find the "dxdiag.txt" you saved earlier and click Open.
14. Click on the "Add Additional Attachments" button to attach the MSINFO32 file.
15. Finally, click Update to complete the process.

If you receive an error when attempting to upload the MSINFO32 file stating that it is too large, you will need to compress it using either WinZip or WinRAR. Once received, we will examine your system info and get back to you as soon as we can with a possible solution to your problem.

MyAccountMax
12-22-2014, 12:03 AM
There is nothing to worry about. This is a way for support teams to analyze the cause of game-related issues. There is no sensitive information whatsoever in there. Itīs just a complex log, nothing more.

jeffies04
12-22-2014, 12:05 AM
It's just saving your graphics-related information (dxdiag) and your total system information (msinfo) so they can see if anything is going on there.

No private details or anything and it won't do a thing to your machine.