PDA

View Full Version : Ditch the optional constraints for future releases.

CalvyB
12-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Is there anyway at all that we can lose the optional constraints for future games within the series. I personally feel that these constraits often hold the game on rails and make you play in a specific way which in some way damages the experience.

in the early games for example you were pretty much left to plan your assasinations, methods to kill and escape routes, and it made the game feel much more open to player choice and freedom.

since then though the newer games always seem to push you along one specific path and iit removes a huge amount of that sense of freedom. there are times where I can plan the perfect route be in the perfect spot at the perfect time to perform a double air assignation on 2 targets and get away before a guard sees me or the dead bodies. essentially perfect kill no evidence I was ever there. and then I get 50% sync cos I didn't kill any guards dazed by smoke bombs or some other pointless objective.

sometimes these missions almost force you into open conflict because you need to kill 5 of these guys and 5 of these guys before you get to your target and maybe I just want to sneak in kill target get out leaving no trace I was ever there, no bodies except the corpse of my victim..

So can we lose these objectives in future games, it seems kinda strange to create rich open worlds and then try to push players along a linear path through the story...

thanks

EmptyCrustacean
12-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Is there anyway at all that we can lose the optional constraints for future games within the series. I personally feel that these constraits often hold the game on rails and make you play in a specific way which in some way damages the experience.

in the early games for example you were pretty much left to plan your assasinations, methods to kill and escape routes, and it made the game feel much more open to player choice and freedom.

since then though the newer games always seem to push you along one specific path and iit removes a huge amount of that sense of freedom. there are times where I can plan the perfect route be in the perfect spot at the perfect time to perform a double air assignation on 2 targets and get away before a guard sees me or the dead bodies. essentially perfect kill no evidence I was ever there. and then I get 50% sync cos I didn't kill any guards dazed by smoke bombs or some other pointless objective.

sometimes these missions almost force you into open conflict because you need to kill 5 of these guys and 5 of these guys before you get to your target and maybe I just want to sneak in kill target get out leaving no trace I was ever there, no bodies except the corpse of my victim..

So can we lose these objectives in future games, it seems kinda strange to create rich open worlds and then try to push players along a linear path through the story...

thanks

The operative word being "optional" . You can still play the missions the way you want to if you just ignore them.

CalvyB
12-21-2014, 08:48 PM
The operative word being "optional" . You can still play the missions the way you want to if you just ignore them.
which as i said in my example means you only scores 50% sync. and thus never manage to 100% the game unless you play the game "on rails."

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2014, 08:50 PM

How did I know this would be the first reply.
They aren't optional.
They are 'optional' to continue the story.
The are NOT optional to be given credit for beating the story.
Think of the hardest game you've ever beat... lets say Dark Souls....
'I beat all 4 guys at the end'
Well did you kill them with your fists?
No
Doesnt count
You can call them anything you want..doesnt make them so...
A game by itself is optional..you can just ignore it

If they were truly optional they would be tied to an unclearable money bonus.. that means 0 CHECK MARKS... no %
You want to challenge yourself and go out of your way to do this challenge?
Cool heres 10k for every challenge you do.... if not, no big deal..enjoy the game and story the way you want to.

EmptyCrustacean
12-21-2014, 09:11 PM
How did I know this would be the first reply.
They aren't optional.
They are 'optional' to continue the story.
The are NOT optional to be given credit for beating the story.
Think of the hardest game you've ever beat... lets say Dark Souls....
'I beat all 4 guys at the end'
Well did you kill them with your fists?
No
Doesnt count
You can call them anything you want..doesnt make them so...
A game by itself is optional..you can just ignore it

If they were truly optional they would be tied to an unclearable money bonus.. that means 0 CHECK MARKS... no %
You want to challenge yourself and go out of your way to do this challenge?
Cool heres 10k for every challenge you do.... if not, no big deal..enjoy the game and story the way you want to.

Fair enough but even so, thankfully, this game allows you to replay missions so why not just play the campaign the way you want to the first time around and then just go for 100% later?

rob.davies2014
12-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I completely agree with the OP. Get rid of them. Let people play how they want to play without being told they only did 80% of the mission.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Fair enough but even so, thankfully, this game allows you to replay missions so why not just play the campaign the way you want to the first time around and then just go for 100% later?

Because thats a total disrespect of a players time.... Ubisoft pretends like 80 games dont release in october and november lol :D
If they were tied to individual trophies like do x in _____ mission - bronze
(Like the flying machine mission trophy in AC 2)
sure,... break my immersion for just 1 mission for a trophy.. i can handle that
but do these 2 things in EVERY MISSION - 1 silver
Nah
Disrespecting my time
I used to not care about them and completely ignore them up until AC 4..... But winter 2013 i became a trophy hunter and i went back to clean trophies i missed... thats when i started to go yeah....
Forced replays..as if the 30 hours i put into this game wasnt enough