PDA

View Full Version : What should I upgrade on my PC?

VoldR
12-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Hi, I'm hoping to get some people's opinion on this

I'm hoping to upgrade my pc but i'm clueless as to what needs improving and what to get...

I got my pc since 2010, here are the specs...
It's reaching a point where new games get buzzing and overheats faster now...
:(

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/21/2014, 06:49:29
Machine name:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/05/10 19:13:52 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8166MB RAM
Page File: 2571MB used, 13760MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6798)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6798&SUBSYS_32111682&REV_00
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3053 MB
Shared Memory: 1042 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: S24B300
Monitor Id: SAM08CD

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 14.2 GB
Total Space: 114.4 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Corsair Force 3 SSD ATA Device

Drive: D:
Free Space: 128.7 GB
Total Space: 1907.7 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0 ATA Device

DomCatz
12-21-2014, 01:49 AM
You should try http://pcpartpicker.com/ for suggestions on upgrades to your build.

VoldR
12-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Thanks, but the problem is I don't understand it much, like what's the diff which hertz or something else does to game experience.

Especially with Unity. Anyone had good exp with the game?

Also most games show nvidia, does that mean radeons not recommended?
Is that why it buzzes like mad for certain games?

Lignjoslav
12-21-2014, 02:58 AM
Nothing. Seriously, your PC is fine. And both your CPU and GPU are later than 2010. :p

As for Unity, did you install the latest AMD's drivers? If not, go here (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64), download, install, the difference in Unity should be huge.

P.S. Actually, you need more storage, it's 90-95% full. :D But that's got nothing to do with the game.

Green_Reaper
12-21-2014, 03:03 AM
Hi, I'm hoping to get some people's opinion on this

I'm hoping to upgrade my pc but i'm clueless as to what needs improving and what to get...

I got my pc since 2010, here are the specs...
It's reaching a point where new games get buzzing and overheats faster now...
:(

Well based on what you're showing and telling us, I could make some suggestions:

1. New GPU would probably be good. Whether it's AMD or Nvidia is up to you really. Personally, I would go with Nvidia because of all the nice little features their GPUs offer. In addition to that, I don't know about you, but a lot of games I play are optimized for Nvidia cards (not to say they can't play with AMD cards of course). Maybe it's the opposite for you and you might want to go with AMD instead? Just know that one brand isn't vastly better than the other - I think it's preference and which one suits your needs that counts.

2. You say there is some buzzing or noise and overheating? Find out what is causing the noise first. Then proceed from there.
- Some general things to note: Try cleaning the dust out of your PC if you haven't already done so. Also your power supply - is it still in good condition and will it be sufficient enough for your upgrades?
- How are your CPU temperatures when gaming or when you computer is idle? You might need to change thermal paste or get a new cooler if it isn't functioning as it is supposed to anymore.
- PC fans - give those some maintenance too.

3. You still have a little over 120 GB of free HDD space, but new games today can easily take up 30 to 50 GBs. Maybe clear out some stuff or get an additional HDD.

4. I heard good things about Windows 10 and how Direct X features that are exclusive to the new OS would help with performance in gaming. Maybe consider that as well or sometime in the future.

With that said, we are in holiday season and sales are everywhere. Take advantage of it now if you have the money to spend. :)

VoldR
12-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Nothing. Seriously, your PC is fine. And both your CPU and GPU are later than 2010. :p

As for Unity, did you install the latest AMD's drivers? If not, go here (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64), download, install, the difference in Unity should be huge.

P.S. Actually, you need more storage, it's 90-95% full. :D But that's got nothing to do with the game.

EDIT:
Installed and "optimized"
the games...

will see the results tomorrow.

Thanks.

USAdystopia
12-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Never listen to anyone telling you to purchase one manufacturer's product over another...

Spend MORE time "optimizing" your Windows and ssd and don't worry about the "game optimization".

Research Power Management, voltage and the types of airflow in your case.

Many issues are due to voltage, heat and dirt.

Liroku
12-22-2014, 10:28 PM
I want to tell you to upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 970 or 980. Before I am called a fanboy for saying nvidia specifically I would like to make my case.

I was an AMD Fanboy and I switched from R9 200 series GPU to a GTX970, which is paired with my FX8350. The difference, just in software, is night and day. I tried to avoid nvidia cards like some kind of hipster, but the price versus the 290X sold me on it and I have to say, I may have joined the dark side. I love this damn card so much. I think about the color green whilst I fap now. I much prefer Nvidia Experience and such over CCC, and I definitely can't even begin to explain how much better shadowplay is compared to AMD's game DVR(in the raptr app "Gaming Evolved")

Also, I wanted android streaming. I tried a few with my AMD card and settled on Kainy, however, it was problems everywhere I turned. After I got the 970 I tried limelight on my Galaxy S4. Not only did it work flawlessly over the 5GHz band of my modem, but my DS4 synced via bluetooth is read as an Xinput device over limelight. What does that mean? It means my DS4 is plug, er sync, n play with it. No mapping, no root apps or root needed at all. I plug my HDMI cable into my phone and play my PC games on my flatscreen in my living room at 1080 wirelessly with a bluetooth gamepad.

Do those features apply to everyone? Probably not, but I like being able to swap rooms around and still play my PC games without lugging around a tower or laptop. I sometimes even lay in bed and just play on my phone's screen. Can you make this work on AMD? Absolutely, but it is a PITA for subpar results. Everything I've done with this nvidia card has just worked. That seemed to never be the case with my AMD card. There was always a driver issue, limited software support, everything about AMD feels budget compared to Nvidia. For good reason, AMD is a budget vendor with great prices. However, with the 970's price point that is not currently the case and I couldn't justify telling someone to get a 290X over a GTX970 right now.

USAdystopia
12-22-2014, 10:55 PM
I want to tell you to upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 970 or 980. Before I am called a fanboy for saying nvidia specifically I would like to make my case.

I was an AMD Fanboy and I switched from R9 200 series GPU to a GTX970, which is paired with my FX8350. The difference, just in software, is night and day. I tried to avoid nvidia cards like some kind of hipster, but the price versus the 290X sold me on it and I have to say, I may have joined the dark side. I love this damn card so much. I think about the color green whilst I fap now. I much prefer Nvidia Experience and such over CCC, and I definitely can't even begin to explain how much better shadowplay is compared to AMD's game DVR(in the raptr app "Gaming Evolved")

Also, I wanted android streaming. I tried a few with my AMD card and settled on Kainy, however, it was problems everywhere I turned. After I got the 970 I tried limelight on my Galaxy S4. Not only did it work flawlessly over the 5GHz band of my modem, but my DS4 synced via bluetooth is read as an Xinput device over limelight. What does that mean? It means my DS4 is plug, er sync, n play with it. No mapping, no root apps or root needed at all. I plug my HDMI cable into my phone and play my PC games on my flatscreen in my living room at 1080 wirelessly with a bluetooth gamepad.

Do those features apply to everyone? Probably not, but I like being able to swap rooms around and still play my PC games without lugging around a tower or laptop. I sometimes even lay in bed and just play on my phone's screen. Can you make this work on AMD? Absolutely, but it is a PITA for subpar results. Everything I've done with this nvidia card has just worked. That seemed to never be the case with my AMD card. There was always a driver issue, limited software support, everything about AMD feels budget compared to Nvidia. For good reason, AMD is a budget vendor with great prices. However, with the 970's price point that is not currently the case and I couldn't justify telling someone to get a 290X over a GTX970 right now.

Go ahead and play UNITY on your phone if it makes you happy.

Liroku
12-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Go ahead and play UNITY on your phone if it makes you happy.

The point isn't that I'm playing it on my phone, it's that I'm able to use a device like a tablet or my phone to stream 1080p PC gaming to any room in my house and onto my Televisions. This is something steam doesn't support yet, and so I would otherwise have to use a second computer tower or a laptop to play with steam streaming. Basically, thanks to upgrading to an Nvidia card, I can stream to any room in my house in high quality, and be able to pair my DS4 or any other bluetooth controller. Nvidia didn't directly create this functionality, but the work they did for the Nvidia shield is what has enabled it to happen.

VoldR
05-27-2015, 04:38 AM
Long belated thanks to all ur opinions. :)

I've ended up deciding to change my graphics card. Mainly because it stop working... For dunno what reason and maybe it may not be the card. Oo

All I know is my monitor start going blank and so does the pc store when they tested it.

Even if its another problem, I've been wanting to switch GPU for some time. Been using Radron on both laptop and desktop and both have same results I didn't like, strange buzz on certain games. Dun remember that problem jn my family pc which used nvidia in the past.

So going back to my roots. :D

Planning on a GTX 970. Short on $
I'm considering the Gigabyte mini version which I saw some reviews showing its doing quite well compare to other types...

Would like to hear ur opinion and especially whether or not a mini can be fit into a standard motherboard...

Mr_Shade
05-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi,

the 'mini' single fanned 970's - should fit all cases [which is the main restriction for the larger 2 fanned cards]