PDA

View Full Version : How damaged is the brand/ Do Ubi have any goodwill left ?

killzab
12-20-2014, 08:00 PM
So we all know how much of a disaster Unity is, for the customers and (rightfully so) for Ubisoft.

We can see UBi is in full panic mode and trying to make amends with their patches, free DLC...

But how much has the AC franchise been damaged to you ?

I see many people on these forums that have pretty much lost all hope and don't expect anything special for the next game.

I think it's really ****** up when hardcore fans don't expect anything anymore and can't get hyped. That's when you've gone too far.

I'm in that camp... I'm just going to wait casually for the next AC and see if there's anything worthwhile going on with it ... But I doubt it ...

We did warn Ubi, several times... but they never listened...

***There is an auto-censor in place - please don't bypass it by partially masking the word(s) - thanks

JustPlainQuirky
12-20-2014, 08:07 PM
I believe everyone has the potential to be redeemed.

The new generation may be tainted a bit but hey there's always room for a change.

As of right now I have no plans to purchase the next installment. I will be watching the cutscene movie on youtube instead.

That is unless Ubi manages to drop all evidence of Transmedia, brings fourth a fresh new compelling narrative, and actually adds lore/events to the overarching narrative.

Oh, and they can't call me an initiate. That's a deal breaker right there.

bitebug2003
12-20-2014, 08:13 PM
I believe everyone has the potential to be redeemed.

The new generation may be tainted a bit but hey there's always room for a change.

As of right now I have no plans to purchase the next installment. I will be watching the cutscene movie on youtube instead.

That is unless Ubi manages to drop all evidence of Transmedia, brings fourth a fresh new compelling narrative, and actually adds lore/events to the overarching narrative.

Oh, and they can't call me an initiate. That's a deal breaker right there.

It's an improvement over being called a 'numbskull'

JustPlainQuirky
12-20-2014, 08:23 PM

I'd rather be called a numbskull tbh

less insulting IMO

Furious_Lunatic
12-20-2014, 08:30 PM
After the rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us debacle, I doubt there's much left. Of course, there'll always be mindless drones that just blindly purchase their games, so who knows.

king-hailz
12-20-2014, 08:44 PM
I am a hardcore fan, and to be honest I am not excited at all for the next game. And that doesn't mean I've gone too far! It's just how I feel... I will still try to get hyped but I just can't... I am way more excited for the new game by Panache then I am for victory which I know much much more about...

AC is dying, if not for anyone else. Then it is dying inside of me...

Which to be honest is making me extremely sad... I just thought about how much this series really changed my life! My entire future is based on that first time I played AC! I am working towards something I never thought possible, and it's all thanks to AC! However it's not my fault that u ubisoft are doing this to it...

Shahkulu101
12-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Not buying the next AC at release. I'll wait for a price drop or something unless it's received very, very well.

Unity had the best mechanics out of all the AC games, yes, but it pales in comparison to high quality stealth/action games. The story was also extremely dull, and the Initiates/Companion app stuff completely deplorable. At the moment, the series isn't going anywhere interesting story wise and the gameplay is still of a low standard. So I'm really asking myself what reason I even have to continue with the series.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-20-2014, 08:59 PM
They just need to stop making misleading trailers..
And im not talking about gameplay like AC3..
Im talking 'feels' for the the game...games energy like AC4, Freedom Cry, Rogue, and Unity...
Those 4 trailers got me excited for a game i never received...
If only they hyped up the games actual story rather than a characters background/the time period.. the hype reviewers would finally stop being whiny hipsters and give a game a score it deserves rather than a bitter score because it isnt what they were promised
Unity isnt a bad game at all....
But ill agree AC has lost its magic after AC3
They shouldve carried desomonds story through someone else... now i just dont care anymore

VoXngola
12-20-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty much done with the series, because of the points you made and that lovely e-mail I recieved from Patrice yesterday.

I'll just stick around here to see what happens.

GoldenBoy9999
12-20-2014, 09:07 PM
I'm not hyped for Victory much... but that's only because they haven't given us enough info! ;) All we got was that one leak and then I found monuments and period-specific guns with other members but Ubisoft has given us nothing.

I'm getting Victory on release because AC gives me something to look forward to every year and something to spend time researching. Like if I gave up on these forums, I'd be bored of the internet. I didn't like Unity's story but I enjoyed the experience and I have reasons to believe Victory will be even more entertaining.

wickywoowoo
12-20-2014, 09:10 PM
I think people's expectations are unrealistic a bit. The game glitches and bugs are not excuseable no doubt but all this "I am done with it, the game wasn't as good as I expected it to be" is silly, in my opinion. Ubisoft are not to blame for your self hype. I will still buy a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game by Bethesda despite Skyrim and New Vegas being riddled with tech issues because, at the end of the day, I still enjoyed it.

If you do not enjoy the games anymore than that's one thing but a lot of the comments I've read.... I just don't get it personally but everyone's free to make their own choices, this isn't a Templar run place or anything.

RADAR__4077
12-20-2014, 09:19 PM
I have always loved Ubisoft because of they have continued to make the highest quality, story-driven, single player games, long after the concept was abandoned by most other companies.

It appears that is now a thing of the past.

Well over a month after release, content is still locked behind non-functioning online features. As someone who loves being able to customize and alternate equipment, this is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING!!!

And I feel greatly disrespected by the fact that I started a thread some time back asking to address this problem. Not only was I ignored completely, but they unlocked every legendary item EXCEPT THE ONES I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR!

Plus, I know they read these forums because they always chime in to pat themselves on the back whenever someone says something good about them.

I will not make the mistake of preordering another Ubisoft game. You have to re-earn the trust that came from years of quality games. You don't get a free pass from the name on the box.

Hans684
12-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Yes, the story is damaged. We didn't need to relive Arno's memories at all. Liberation was far more relevant, the entire game us supposed to be Templar propaganda. It had a purpose unlike Unity where they(Bishop) said that we didn't need to relive his memories. Let's not forget the MD "story" of Unity, a couple of files and Bishop talking. How progressive... I'd rather be a nameless and flouting IPad at Abstergo Entertainment, it more fun that a Initiate addicted to the Helix that can't get the eyes of the screen.

DeanOMiite
12-20-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm still going to get the next game. Maybe it's because I personally didn't experience any of the major issues everyone talked about, but I don't have any big issues with Unity. The only time I considered not getting another AC game was after Revelations and that was because I didn't enjoy the story. Bugs suck but they can be patched...a boring story and an uninteresting setting can't.

That being said...the brand is damaged, but not beyond repair. The yearly-release model is my biggest problem here. Ubi is OBVIOUSLY capable of creating fantastic games, but their insistence on releasing a game on schedule every year no matter the cost has finally really come back to bite them. It would seem that a year is not long enough to produce a quality, FUNCTIONAL AC game, so hopefully Ubi learns their lesson and takes their time in developing their next game. Hell, it might even be wise of them to wait until Spring 2016 before releasing Victory regardless of whether or not it's ready just to create the PERCEPTION that they've play-tested the game and are releasing a reasonably bug-free product. But again...yearly-release is the epitome of quantity-over-quality and if Ubi TRULY learned anything with Unity and they make sure Victory is a finely polished product, the brand will be fine.

Rafe Harwood
12-20-2014, 10:41 PM

Damnit. I knew I forgot sometihng from the Christmas wishlist!

We need a like button :D

Hrafnagud72
12-20-2014, 10:55 PM
It's damaged enough that I bought neither Rogue nor Unity. And I will not buy Victory. I will not buy another Ubisoft game until they pull their heads out of their asses.

mrbrightside2011
12-21-2014, 01:35 AM
Ubisoft have massively dropped the ball with ACU but it's how they move on from here that will determine how much the brand is affected. They are responsible for releasing games that I have absolutely loved over the past few years but they've started to move in a direction that I find a bit unsettling.

The AC series got me interested in gaming for the first time in years and the pending release of Unity was my main motivation for investing in a PS4. The series has gone from strength to strength over the years (admittedly with a few seriously dodgy 'innovations' thrown in every now and then) but with Unity they got things wrong on so many levels that I probably won't be rushing out to buy Victory on day one. I've already posted a thread about the massive step backwards I feel that they've taken with the gameplay (just my opinion, I know not everyone agrees) but if you combine that with the fact that they rushed out an unfinished game, with half the content locked behind companion apps and various other online features (one of which is still unavailable), then you can't help but feel a bit hacked off with Ubisoft and apprehensive about future releases. I've even held back from buying Far Cry 4, not because I'm worried about technical glitches or gameplay but because I just think, " F*** you Ubisoft, why should I give you my money?"

If they've learned their lesson from this mess (and I'd like to think the fall in their share price was enough to motivate management to avoid similar stupidity in future) then I'm sure they'll bounce back, but there are a lot of folk out there who will take some serious convincing.

Voyager456
12-21-2014, 01:56 AM
After reading rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us i totaly lost it, victory can be best ac game ever ill be getting it for 7,49 on steam sale there is no
doubt lot of talented people are working in ubiosft unfortunately they need to get rid of the *******s on top that wont even let them finish the games properly, also putting chests in a triple AAA game
that need to be unlocked with an application on a phone seriously know is this what it comes to?

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2014, 03:03 AM
...how much has the AC franchise been damaged to you ? I see many people on these forums that have pretty much lost all hope and don't expect anything special for the next game.

That about sums it up for me. I had hoped that Black Flag was proof that the series was making a comeback after the lackluster Revelations and the complete disappointment of AC3, but it's now pretty clear that Black Flag was the series' swan song - the last reminder of how good this series used to be before the money corrupted it.

I will wait and see how Victory is viewed by those who I can count on to tell it like it is (the gaming press are useless in this regard - they hype games as much as the publishers), but with the setting being very safe, it's not looking good. Anyway, Unity has pretty much killed the franchise for me - I can no longer look forward to any AC game the way I used to. The spark has gone. And I've been a loyal fan of the series since AC1.

It's pretty sad. My signature file (below) is how I always saw the series - a beautiful vista full of promise. Now my new avatar pretty much shows how far the series has fallen in my estimation: AC has become a bad joke.

Sejdovic11
12-21-2014, 03:20 AM
Nah, I'm not going to buy it at release never again, I'll just wait for few months so they can finish the game. I don't need another paperweight on my shelve for one month. And yeah, if I see any stupid locked in-game content behind other apps and sites like Initiates I won't buy it at all, I want full game when I pay for it.

Ubisoft is getting worse and worse with every release, and I'm sure that they won't get any better if people will still be pre-ordering BS that they deliver to us.

Call me hater, I couldn't care less...

Assassin_M
12-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Yeah, definitely buying the next game. Thing is, I never EVER pre-ordered a game. EVER. It's a faulty principle in of itself. You're buying pre-buying a product. That makes NO sense, absolutely NO sense. No matter how good will you have for a manufacturer, it makes NO sense to spend your money on something you know nothing about quality wise. As a result, I don't feel "betrayed" or "heart broken" or any of that dramatic stuff. Not to mention that i'v been quite lucky to not experience a lot of game breaking bugs.

The fact of the matter is, AC is the only product of its kind. No other game gives you an immersive, historical open world where you can jump on every part of. Yeah, i'v had my ups and downs with Ubisoft. I raged at their nonsensical story telling in AC II and ACB, the shortness of ACR and relegation of Altair's sequences to Cristina memory sized little fidgets, the atrocious level design of AC III and the terrible frame rate and third party apps of ACU. ACU was the first AC game I ever returned. Because I don't like all the internet invasion and I didn't like the frame rate. nothing excuses a bad frame rate, you don't release a game unless it's stable but that's beyond the point.

So far, I have never experienced a bad AC game. Every single game offered amazing gaming moments for me, it's why I keep coming back and i'm not quite ready to let go yet. Who knows? maybe the magic of AC I will return, the mystery and intrigue of AC II, the epic storytelling of AC III. Maybe, I don't know. I'v been given too many moments to just jump ship when 1 or 2 or heck even 3 games were subpar quality wise. I'll let them know i'm unsatisfied, i'll be aggressive but just stop buying? Lolno.

TL;DR, this is too good of a franchise.

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 03:32 AM
I guess I'm among the few that doesn't feel "Broken".

I understand some people's concerns and such like here in the forums. ( But I'm starting to lose that as well)

Other places? >__>

I don't know...apart of me just feels like people destroy themselves.

Sure 50% is Ubi and their crap.

The other is the negativity by some people.

But that aside, I should be buying Victory. :p

LoyalACFan
12-21-2014, 04:02 AM
I guess I'm one of the very few who like Unity. Yeah, it's got faults; serious, huge, glaring faults. Framerate is unstable, glitches abound (though I haven't experienced many personally), the story was botched horribly, there's way too much filler content, and the companion media is just beyond insulting.

Thing is, those things were, without exception, the EXACT same complaints I had with AC3. The only difference is that the companion media was a book (Forsaken) instead of an app. Then Black Flag came along a year later, solved all of those issues, and became my favorite AC game ever. I fully expect that Victory will be to Unity what AC4 was to AC3. A grander, prettier, more functional, and better-designed younger sibling to a highly innovative but heavily flawed project. The only thing I worry about is the story; since it's being developed by Ubi Quebec, we really don't know who'll be writing it, which means we have no frame of reference to how good or bad it will be. But if they keep and polish the Unity mechanics, I'll have no problems there.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-21-2014, 05:11 AM
It's a bit of a dilemma for me.

I enjoyed Unity quite a lot. I didn't have many bugs, enjoyed the level of content, the graphics, the customisation etc.

However the next game really does need to redeem itself if it wants to win the respect back not just from casual gamers, but from it's hardcore fanbase. It's pretty sad that the dedicated followers of this brand are now actually saying they aren't really interested in this anymore, or they might not get the next one. Even the mere mention that they aren't excited should be a wake-up call for Ubisoft that something needs to change.

Unless this game makes some serious meaningful innovations to the series, I may just watch a let's play. It's sad because I still enjoy the games, but the series has definitely gone in a direction that I (and many others evidently) don't like.

The next game needs a compelling, new, interesting and SUBSTANTIAL story. Having a 12 hour story in 2015 is absolutely unacceptable. The bare minimum should be twenty hours, preferably thirty.

The game obviously needs to expand on the three core pillars of the brand. Add more depth to each and tweak the faults of each.

If there is even a hint of external app usage I will not be buying this game. I am not going to support less content for the same price. There are plenty of games I can buy that have NONE of this. Take your external bullsh*t out of the game.

It needs to be ready for release. Show some respect to your fans. If the game isn't ready don't release it. It's a matter of respect. You releasing a buggy game with crap framerate and content locked behind features that STILL DON't WORK shows your level of respect for us. Obviously the majority of us will likely wait until the reviews come in to determine whether we purchase this or not.

It needs to add some actual progression and meaning to the over-arching story. None of this episodic crap. The last 3 games (Rogue, Unity, AC4) have not progressed the story at all. AC3 was the last game that actually progressed the story. People want another 3rd person protagonist. Don't be lazy. Respect the brand you are dealing with and take the time to make a compelling modern day. I remember someone at Ubi (I think Darby) said they don't like making modern day because it takes a lot of assets. WELL TOO BAD. Put in some effort. There are other games that have dev teams working their *** off for 5 years+.

If the game does not have every single one of those things I just listed I will not buy this game and I will encourage everyone I know to not buy it. There are plenty of other games coming out next year that quite frankly deserve my money more than this. I have had enough of these bullsh*t practises.

The series has become three words - greed over gameplay

It's hard for me to write this because I have been one of the longest fans of this series. I bought the first game at release day. I've bought every single one, and I played every single one to 100% completion (including Unity and Rogue). It's quite clear however that Ubisoft just intends to milk this as much as humanly possible and only fund it because it makes money. I guarantee if this only had 1m sales per game they would not fund it.

Come on Ubisoft. You have the potential to make great games (AC2). Your reputation took a huge hit this year, whether it be the Watch Dogs downgrade, the Unity parity bullcrap, the terrible launch of Unity or the disgusting overload of external apps into the game. Make AC as great as it once was. I use to be a proud supporter of this franchise, and I genuinely believed it was one of the most unique games out there (still is to a lesser degree though), but now almost everyone treats this series as a laughing joke.

I just hope Patrice's game is fantastic, because this series frankly needs some competition.

Hans684
12-21-2014, 05:19 AM
I'm far more exited for Patrice's game, might drop AC next year.

SolidSage
12-21-2014, 05:49 AM
I'm with OP and his gang, I mean, it's not like Ubisoft added Co-Op and massive customization, improved free running controls and combat difficulty, got rid of Naval and got AC back to the beautiful roof scapes, improved mission open'ness, and separated the disconnected recruit missions from the main game or anything -_-

I'm a bit sick of the problem riddled games, but I'm even more sick of the weirdly over passionate 'fans' who loved this franchise so much, but balk and turn their back on the people who've been bringing it to them all these years, in a second, as soon as the chips are down.

Ubisoft isn't a Saint, and neither are any of you.

When you inevitably refer to folks who like Unity as fanboys, or drones, during your tantrums, realize that you've been doing it all along, and therefore deserve every negative response you get.
Besides, it's only fanboys/girls that could feel so passionate about being wronged (<---- oooooh, hypocrisy, quick someone point it out. I think there's some incorrect spelling that needs addressing too maybe?)

There is a problem, but it's not the AC brand, Unity's design, or even it's unamazing story (you write 7 in 7 years all about the same junk that has to accommodate specific playstyles and motivations , and accommodate historical content, and see how it goes. I bet you couldn't even do one that was good enough. And don't give it the "they're professional though", cos your car mechanic is a professional too, but he ain't maintaining formula 1 cars and making a mint either).

Ubisoft, you just gone and got yourself a psycho ex girlfriend ;)

TLDR:
Get a grip.

SolidSage
12-21-2014, 05:58 AM
I forgot to write what I think the problem is, I was so caught up in the tangent I went on, (speaking of tangents....jk), it's the turn over of employees. There are less and less legacy developers attached, less people who know the code, know the systems, less experience.
It's not the fault of the new or the young or the inexperienced, it's a problem Ubisoft has incurred by creating such demanding production schedules. And it's a problem that's going to increase as long as this system exists where everyone (so no one really) owns the product.

JustPlainQuirky
12-21-2014, 06:01 AM
Yeah, definitely buying the next game. Thing is, I never EVER pre-ordered a game. EVER. It's a faulty principle in of itself. You're buying pre-buying a product. That makes NO sense, absolutely NO sense. No matter how good will you have for a manufacturer, it makes NO sense to spend your money on something you know nothing about quality wise. As a result, I don't feel "betrayed" or "heart broken" or any of that dramatic stuff. Not to mention that i'v been quite lucky to not experience a lot of game breaking bugs.

The fact of the matter is, AC is the only product of its kind. No other game gives you an immersive, historical open world where you can jump on every part of. Yeah, i'v had my ups and downs with Ubisoft. I raged at their nonsensical story telling in AC II and ACB, the shortness of ACR and relegation of Altair's sequences to Cristina memory sized little fidgets, the atrocious level design of AC III and the terrible frame rate and third party apps of ACU. ACU was the first AC game I ever returned. Because I don't like all the internet invasion and I didn't like the frame rate. nothing excuses a bad frame rate, you don't release a game unless it's stable but that's beyond the point.

So far, I have never experienced a bad AC game. Every single game offered amazing gaming moments for me, it's why I keep coming back and i'm not quite ready to let go yet. Who knows? maybe the magic of AC I will return, the mystery and intrigue of AC II, the epic storytelling of AC III. Maybe, I don't know. I'v been given too many moments to just jump ship when 1 or 2 or heck even 3 games were subpar quality wise. I'll let them know i'm unsatisfied, i'll be aggressive but just stop buying? Lolno.

I'm against pre-ordering in general.

Unity was the ONE exception because i had nothing to buy on my Bday

I told Darby and he was like "noice"

boy do i regret it

Never pre-ordering again

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-21-2014, 06:08 AM
the only games i will pre order are red dead 3(rdr is 2) and the next fallout game

playlisting
12-21-2014, 06:40 AM

Not at all. Assassin's Creed itself is still what it has always been. Beautiful recreations of cities thick with history, interesting protagonists, interesting stories and top-tier animations and voice acting. Ubisoft itself is the one that's taken the hit. Title after title of theirs has been buggy and unoptimised. They even managed to make a mess of Tetris on the PS4 (http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/12/17/what-the-heck-is-wrong-with-tetris-ps4). The quality of Ubisoft's games vary quite a lot depending on the franchise. That's what makes Ubisoft quite frustrating as a company: their inconsistency. One week they can release a game that runs well and isn't buggy at all, then they can release another the next week that's buggy and unoptimised. A general rule of thumb would be this: Remain sceptical of ALL of Ubisoft's releases. Wait for reviews and watch gameplay before making your purchase.

Though I should mention that Ubisoft games are great the majority of the time (Unity is a fun game underneath all its technical issues), it's just the technical side that lets them down.

VestigialLlama4
12-21-2014, 07:04 AM
So we all know how much of a disaster Unity is, for the customers and (rightfully so) for Ubisoft.

We can see UBi is in full panic mode and trying to make amends with their patches, free DLC...

To be honest, UNITY has pretty much destroyed all my romance for the series. I thought this will be a game that finally shows the French Revolution in all its complexity and instead we got a terrible failure of a game(not leaving the glitches).

In fact this is the first year where I didn't buy AC, usually I play it or see it in YouTube and then decide if its worth it. It's only after I saw the YouTube videos that I decided to give Black Flag a chance(I was skeptical about a pirate game) but after seeing what they did with it, I got excited.

The old parlour game of new timelines and periods is done for me. I think Ubisoft can recover and make a good game, this is rockbottom and the only way is up and all that...but they need to accept the catastrophic failure that this game represents.

D.I.D.
12-21-2014, 07:15 AM
To be honest, UNITY has pretty much destroyed all my romance for the series. I thought this will be a game that finally shows the French Revolution in all its complexity and instead we got a terrible failure of a game(not leaving the glitches).

In fact this is the first year where I didn't buy AC, usually I play it or see it in YouTube and then decide if its worth it. It's only after I saw the YouTube videos that I decided to give Black Flag a chance(I was skeptical about a pirate game) but after seeing what they did with it, I got excited.

The old parlour game of new timelines and periods is done for me. I think Ubisoft can recover and make a good game, this is rockbottom and the only way is up and all that...but they need to accept the catastrophic failure that this game represents.

Wait a minute. You haven't played Unity? I am stunned at the amount of time and effort you've put into talking with authority about it, if that's the case. Unity is a great game, but you get out what you put in. I dread to think how dreary the game could look in the videos of some Let's Player.

Black Flag was a good hack-and-slash game and it did some surprising things with a last minute injection of a stealth mechanic of sorts in the plantations, but there isn't a single mission in Black Flag that can hold a candle to the top standards in Unity. It's certainly possible to play Unity poorly and not see it at its best, but the same could be said for Dishonored, Deus Ex HR, or any similarly themed game out there.

Hrafnagud72
12-21-2014, 07:18 AM

Saying you will be definitely buying the next game is essentially the same thing as pre-ordering it. You are going to buy the next game regardless of how ****ty it may be and how little you know about it. Making your entire argument invalid and ignorant.

VestigialLlama4
12-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Wait a minute. You haven't played Unity? I am stunned at the amount of time and effort you've put into talking with authority about it, if that's the case. Unity is a great game, but you get out what you put in. I dread to think how dreary the game could look in the videos of some Let's Player.

I played it at my friend's house and at local parlours. I don't own a Next-Gen Console or an upgraded PC yet. I played some of the missions and saw the rest. I did the same for BLACK FLAG as well. The last game I preodered was AC3. I was planning to upgrade for UNITY but the high-PC specs put me off and the game itself was hardly worth the fuss. So now I'll wait for Arkham Knight..

Black Flag was a good hack-and-slash game and it did some surprising things with a last minute injection of a stealth mechanic of sorts in the plantations, but there isn't a single mission in Black Flag that can hold a candle to the top standards in Unity.

There are the Jungle Missions - Julien du Casse, Tulum, Charles Vane, The Observatory - All of them had variety of gameplay, movement, fun and spectacle, much more so than UNITY. They have the same basic design, but by altering the story, gameplay and introducing new elements(the Guardians who can blend in bushes just like you do) they all have variety and differences.

There's the Tailboat Mission in Florida - the greatest eavesdrop/tail/chase mission in the Franchise.

There's the Plantation Missions.

Legendary Ships and Underwater Missions.

I can go on.

It's certainly possible to play Unity poorly and not see it at its best, but the same could be said for Dishonored, Deus Ex HR, or any similarly themed game out there.

I can't speak for Deus Ex, but UNITY is unworthy to be placed next to Dishonored in terms of mission design, stylishness of gameplay, sheer amount of freedom and most of all, wit and playfulness. All levels of Dishonored are unique and filled with possibilities and potential and you don't need to be told there are multiple approaches and have it pointed out, you discover it organically.

Assassin_M
12-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Saying you will be definitely buying the next game is essentially the same thing as pre-ordering it. You are going to buy the next game regardless of how ****ty it may be and how little you know about it. Making your entire argument invalid and ignorant.
No, buddy. It's not. Saying i'll buy it means that i'll save my money UNTIL it releases and THEN buy it. To put it in simpler terms, lets compare. buying AFTER release, when there's a myriad of reviews and impressions against pre-ordering BEFORE release when there's only hype and official videos and trailers.

As I stated, I was unsatisfied with Unity and I have returned it and got my money back in full. Read properly and understand before you go shooting. I'v been lucky enough not to encounter a lot of game breaking bugs in my games. And again, i wont "give up" on the franchise. Will i complain? Yes. Will I rage? yes. giving up is essentially nonexistent to me. It's like when I complain about my brother and say that he's crap. Do i want him to just disappear from my life? lolno.

HiddenKiller612
12-21-2014, 08:52 AM
This cycle of DOOMED!!!!!!! DOOOOMED!!!!, THE FRANCHISE IS DOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEED.... and YAY YAYYYYYY THIS IS DA BEST FWANCHIZE EVVVAHHH gets a tad tiresome. It has it's ups and downs like any franchise, only there's more of it to go around. You either roll with the punches or get out of the ring. Standing around moping about what was, and what is doesn't help anything.

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 08:59 AM
This cycle of DOOMED!!!!!!! DOOOOMED!!!!, THE FRANCHISE IS DOOOOOMMMMMMMEEEED.... and YAY YAYYYYYY THIS IS DA BEST FWANCHIZE EVVVAHHH gets a tad tiresome. It has it's ups and downs like any franchise, only there's more of it to go around. You either roll with the punches or get out of the ring. Standing around moping about what was, and what is doesn't help anything.

"I will not weep and wonder what might've been." :rolleyes:

HiddenKiller612
12-21-2014, 09:01 AM
"I will not weep and wonder what might've been." :rolleyes:
An assassin does not look to the past with starry eyes, but towards the future with wonder.

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 09:05 AM
An assassin does not look to the past with starry eyes, but towards the future with wonder.

Check my Occupation.... :rolleyes: :cool:

wvstolzing
12-21-2014, 09:26 AM

That's more or less my attitude too; and funnily enough, that's also the way I feel about Mass Effect (another sole representative of its kind, a space-RPG) -- despite the fact that I was one of the rabid fans protesting BioWare for that 'casper' they pulled on us.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2014, 10:40 AM
...Unity is a fun game underneath all its technical issues...

LOL. No it's not. It's an Assassin's Creed game that has been stripped of all its fun.

Have you played any previous AC game? Because if you think Unity is "fun" then you must not know what fans expect from an Assassin's Creed game.

Standing around moping about what was, and what is doesn't help anything.

Actually, it does. If all you do is "roll with the punches or get out of the ring" (as you advise), you're not helping Ubisoft to improve, nor are you telling Ubisoft when they've screwed up. If everyone did what you advise, games would just get worse until everyone just stopped buying them, because game companies wouldn't have a clue what they were doing wrong. "Moping" (as you put it) helps the developers see what's wrong so that they can improve the games. If players don't criticize, developers cannot make things better.

killzab
12-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Actually, it does. If all you do is "roll with the punches or get out of the ring" (as you advise), you're not helping Ubisoft to improve, nor are you telling Ubisoft when they've screwed up. If everyone did what you advise, games would just get worse until everyone just stopped buying them, because game companies wouldn't have a clue what they were doing wrong. "Moping" (as you put it) helps the developers see what's wrong so that they can improve the games. If players don't criticize, developers cannot make things better.

Exactly !

Seriously, some of the people here's reactions are so stupid ...

"Crybaby stop complaining" ... "if you don't enjoy it, stop buying it"

Really ?!

I payed hard-earned money to get the game and I've got the right to complain. And we need to complain if we want things to get better !

As I stated, I was unsatisfied with Unity and I have returned it and got my money back in full. Read properly and understand before you go shooting. I'v been lucky enough not to encounter a lot of game breaking bugs in my games. And again, i wont "give up" on the franchise. Will i complain? Yes. Will I rage? yes. giving up is essentially nonexistent to me. It's like when I complain about my brother and say that he's crap. Do i want him to just disappear from my life? lolno.

Are you seriously comparing AC to a sibling ? It's insane...

At the end of it, AC is just a product, you're not LINKED to it by any means .... you don't HAVE to stay loyal...

You people are such apologists, its incredible, I've never seen this elsewhere ...

I'm not buying Victory before I'm sure it's really good.

If it's not ... I'll give up with this franchise, since there's nothing else in it for me... no enjoyable gameplay, no compelling story , botched up graphics (beautiful but ruined by pop-in and framerate).

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Exactly !

Seriously, some of the people here's reactions are so stupid ...

"Crybaby stop complaining" ... "if you don't enjoy it, stop buying it"

Really ?!

I payed hard-earned money to get the game and I've got the right to complain. And we need to complain if we want things to get better

But that's the thing...

There's a difference between constructively criticizing something and basically *****ing about it.

Not directed at you, but a lot of people in and out of these forums have been doing the latter, or at least a good portion.

And this isn't me saying: "Deal with it, you whiny baby" just find a way doing it that isn't negative.

Because Negativity is really killing the fandom if you'd ask me. -__-

Not saying that Ubi doesn't deserve to be called out on their BS either or anything.

HiddenKiller612
12-21-2014, 11:19 AM
LOL. No it's not. It's an Assassin's Creed game that has been stripped of all its fun.

Have you played any previous AC game? Because if you think Unity is "fun" then you must not know what fans expect from an Assassin's Creed game.

Are you being constructive with your criticisms? Or merely *****ing and moaning? Because what I've seen of your posts... it's of the latter. Which is exactly my point.

LegendzX
12-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Ubisoft is still a brilliant developer and one of my favourites.

Perhaps they could just listen to their community a little more and make amends right away rather than in the next release or with a future project, by which time it is too late.

Having said that, individuals and especially those who communicate directly with the players should be given a lot of credit as they do put effort into improving our experience.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Are you being constructive with your criticisms? Or merely *****ing and moaning? Because what I've seen of your posts... it's of the latter. Which is exactly my point.

Well, firstly, this particular thread is not going to include much in the way of constructive criticism - it isn't about what's wrong with any particular game - it's about what's wrong with Ubisoft and how disappointed fans are. So if you're looking here, you're not going to find much. But if you look in my recent history, you'll find plenty of constructive criticism... posts like these:

After the latest patch 4...

I'm sure something had to be cut...

Now that I've figured out how to work around the annoying quirks in the Companion app, I'm enjoying the blue chests...

In response to similar criticisms, game producer Antoine Vimal du Monteil said...

Click on the double-arrows to see the rest of the posts. Do you really think I'd spend time making a whole list of issues and also add Ubisoft contacts at the end of my post if I wasn't trying to be constructive? Do you really think I'd defend Ubisoft's decision to cut back on environmental lighting effects in patch 4, or defend the Companion app, if I was just a hater? Do you really think I'd point out how important history is to AC if I was just a hater? Of course not. Haters don't spend time and effort doing those things. They don't care enough.

It's very easy to care too emotionally, or not to care enough about the quality of the franchise to see constructive criticism for what it is - an effort to prevent the death of the franchise. If you want Assassin's Creed to get so bad that even you don't want to play it anymore, just keep on accepting mediocrity and complaining about criticism - that will help to ensure that you get mediocrity, or worse.

Ubisoft still has my goodwill. If they didn't, I'd be doing what you advise - I'd just cut my losses and leave the community, and I wouldn't spend a second talking about how Ubisoft's mistakes are destroying this series. I still have hopes that future Assassin's Creed games can recapture what was so great about the franchise, which is why I care enough to criticize. I find it deeply ironic that you can't see this. It's pretty sad that you and people like you who really love these games can't see that by attempting to stifle criticism, you folks are the franchise's worst enemy.

You can kill something by loving something too emotionally. That is what happened to the game "The War Z" - the game's executive producer, Sergey Titov, loved the game too emotionally and dismissed legitimate criticisms as "whining". He later said: (http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/02/war-z-dev-issues-apologetic-open-letter-following-rocky-steam-launch/)

...failure to communicate resulted in some very negative feedback from some members of our community, but while it might be easy to label them as “haters” or some other dismissive term, in all honesty this is my fault.

I became arrogant and blinded by the early success and quick growth of The War Z, our increasing number of players, numbers we were getting from surveys, etc., and I chose not to notice the concerns and questions raised by these members of the game community as well as others.

This failure is entirely on my shoulders and if anything I owe thanks to that vocal minority and admit that I should have paid attention sooner.

What Titov did is just what you and the folks like you are doing. You just don't see the value of criticism yet. But if this series keeps going down the same path, you will. But by then, it may be too late.

Megas_Doux
12-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Framerate and bugs aside, that I´m no longer experiencing, Unity has everything I like in an AC gameplay wise. The combat finally challenging, the mission design in 90% of the missions is pretty open, Paris is GREAT, customization is a good add, and so on.

Thing is, I understand why like just 45 people in the world like this game and/or are still excited for the franchise. Fatigue caused by annualization is killing everybody´s hopes and excitement....

phoenix-force411
12-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Always hyped, and wanting to play more. Hype is dying, and that is fact, no doubt, but then, I only focus on like very few game series, and so, I don't mind the yearly releases but they do hurt the support of the AC games. IV probably had the worst support ever.

OpticSpecs
12-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Ubisoft is still a brilliant developer and one of my favourites.

Perhaps they could just listen to their community a little more and make amends right away rather than in the next release or with a future project, by which time it is too late.

Having said that, individuals and especially those who communicate directly with the players should be given a lot of credit as they do put effort into improving our experience.

Agreed.

dalpeva6
12-21-2014, 02:49 PM
I dont know at this point :nonchalance:

Assassin_M
12-21-2014, 05:45 PM
E
Are you seriously comparing AC to a sibling ? It's insane...

At the end of it, AC is just a product, you're not LINKED to it by any means .... you don't HAVE to stay loyal...

You people are such apologists, its incredible, I've never seen this elsewhere ...

I'm not buying Victory before I'm sure it's really good.

If it's not ... I'll give up with this franchise, since there's nothing else in it for me... no enjoyable gameplay, no compelling story , botched up graphics (beautiful but ruined by pop-in and framerate).
You'v got people fapping over AC, saying that they're heart broken and disgusted and you're calling me insane? Did you make this thread expecting people to agree with you and pat you on the back or something and this is just childish rebound?

How am I an apologist? I friggin returned ACU when i was unsatisfied, I don't HAVE to do anything, i do it because I want to. Hell, i'v been complaining about AC when EVERYBODY was in bliss. "Oh, AC II is awesome" "Oh, Ezio is so much better" man, YOU people are the fanboys, not me, not the people who simply come back for what AC offers. Your problem and others' is that you objectively think that ACU was a bad game with a bad story. Not to me it wasnt. ACU is the long awaited sequel to AC I that i'v been DYING for. It was awesome to me and one day, i'll buy it again.

calling ME an apologist, my god.

killzab
12-21-2014, 06:35 PM
You'v got people fapping over AC, saying that they're heart broken and disgusted and you're calling me insane? Did you make this thread expecting people to agree with you and pat you on the back or something and this is just childish rebound?

How am I an apologist? I friggin returned ACU when i was unsatisfied, I don't HAVE to do anything, i do it because I want to. Hell, i'v been complaining about AC when EVERYBODY was in bliss. "Oh, AC II is awesome" "Oh, Ezio is so much better" man, YOU people are the fanboys, not me, not the people who simply come back for what AC offers. Your problem and others' is that you objectively think that ACU was a bad game with a bad story. Not to me it wasnt. ACU is the long awaited sequel to AC I that i'v been DYING for. It was awesome to me and one day, i'll buy it again.

calling ME an apologist, my god.

I thought you sold ACU before finishing it ?

So I guess you saw a playthrough on Youtube ?

So you liking the story is fair, even if I fail to see how you can like it...

If you didn't play it, I don't think you've really experienced all the problems with the game... All the gameplay frustrations. The first sequences and side-missions are easy so gameplay problems aren't evident. But if you'd spend 30+ hours with the game, you'd know how none of these aspects are polished...

Assassin_M
12-21-2014, 06:37 PM
I thought you sold ACU before finishing it ?

So I guess you saw a playthrough on Youtube ?

So you liking the story is fair, even if I fail to see how you can like it...

If you didn't play it, I don't think you've really experienced all the problems with the game... All the gameplay frustrations. The first sequences and side-missions are easy so gameplay problems aren't evident. But if you'd spend 30+ hours with the game, you'd know how none of these aspects are polished...
I did, I was on sequence 8 when i returned it. And I have played over 30+ hours. Like I said, i'm just lucky for some reason.

Shahkulu101
12-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Sick and tired of the attitude of dramatic man-children who accuse anybody that has a differing opinion of being a 'fanboy' or 'apologist'. I've said this a few times now, but I'll say it again -- if we all loved everything Ubisoft put out without question why would the same people criticize the previous games like AC3? Fact of the matter is Unity design wise is the only true successor to AC1, as in, it's one of 2 titles that give a ****ing **** about the core mechanics and providing challenging, open assassination missions.

But I guess you people don't want it to be a respectable video game series and would prefer if the series reverted back to a piss easy hack and slash game you can play with your eyes closed. Fair enough if you like easy games, so do I I'm not very good at games, but AC was so ****ing easy, the missions so devoid of quality -- mechanically it was bloody awful. Absolutely terrible, and that's an objective fact. And that's why AC3 - which brought these problems to the fore with it's horrendous design - was lambasted by the so-called fanboys, and why the much improved Unity is regarded in some quarters as a good game. The feedback from Unity probably means the series is returning to the power fantasy simulator approach and abandoning it's roots. And when that happens I won't be a fanboy then - oh no - I'll be ****ing furious.

So stop with the 'mindless drones' ******** PLEASE.

Jackdaw951
12-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Technically, I preordered Unity. But in fact, the only thing I preordered was an Xbox One bundle which included a code to download the game ahead of its release date. It sat on my Games & Apps page with "Prerordered" printed under it from about the 4th to the 11th of November. (Funny, I never got any preorder perks.) But without this kind of a one-off deal, I don't ever preorder games. I've been around too long, and I know better. So what will change upon the release of Victory, after all the massive Unity problems? Not much, really. I won't preorder it (as usual). I will wait for reviews and user feedback (as usual). I will keep an eye on technical issues, and hold off purchase until inexcusable bugs are fixed (as usual). So it all comes down to whether I want the game or not.

I don't want Unity 2: London. I will not buy that. There needs to be something more to it. They need to break the mold like they did with Black Flag. And of course, they need to do it competently. Otherwise, no sale. I've had all the standard AC fare I need already, and I can go back and relive it all whenever I want.

Hrafnagud72
12-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Sick and tired of the attitude of dramatic man-children who accuse anybody that has a differing opinion of being a 'fanboy' or 'apologist'. I've said this a few times now, but I'll say it again -- if we all loved everything Ubisoft put out without question why would the same people criticize the previous games like AC3? Fact of the matter is Unity design wise is the only true successor to AC1, as in, it's one of 2 titles that give a ****ing **** about the core mechanics and providing challenging, open assassination missions.

But I guess you people don't want it to be a respectable video game series and would prefer if the series reverted back to a piss easy hack and slash game you can play with your eyes closed. Fair enough if you like easy games, so do I I'm not very good at games, but AC was so ****ing easy, the missions so devoid of quality -- mechanically it was bloody awful. Absolutely terrible, and that's an objective fact. And that's why AC3 - which brought these problems to the fore with it's horrendous design - was lambasted by the so-called fanboys, and why the much improved Unity is regarded in some quarters as a good game. The feedback from Unity probably means the series is returning to the power fantasy simulator approach and abandoning it's roots. And when that happens I won't be a fanboy then - oh no - I'll be ****ing furious.

So stop with the 'mindless drones' ******** PLEASE.

I've seen very few people complain about harder combat or open ended assassinations. So, I don't think majority of the people want to return to closed assassinations and easy combat. What most people are complaining about in Unity is the tons of broken mechanics and ideas that Ubisoft put into it. Things like initiates, the companion app, the numerous bug and glitches, the fact that Ubisoft has broken something at every step in trying to fix something. And also Ubisofts demeanor toward their screw ups.

So, whatever you wanna call yourself, I doubt the fans want to go back to the crap hack and slash.

Shahkulu101
12-21-2014, 08:07 PM
Technically, I preordered Unity. But in fact, the only thing I preordered was an Xbox One bundle which included a code to download the game ahead of its release date. It sat on my Games & Apps page with "Prerordered" printed under it from about the 4th to the 11th of November. (Funny, I never got any preorder perks.) But without this kind of a one-off deal, I don't ever preorder games. I've been around too long, and I know better. So what will change upon the release of Victory, after all the massive Unity problems? Not much, really. I won't preorder it (as usual). I will wait for reviews and user feedback (as usual). I will keep an eye on technical issues, and hold off purchase until inexcusable bugs are fixed (as usual). So it all comes down to whether I want the game or not.

I don't want Unity 2: London. I will not buy that. There needs to be something more to it. They need to break the mold like they did with Black Flag. And of course, they need to do it competently. Otherwise, no sale. I've had all the standard AC fare I need already, and I can go back and relive it all whenever I want.

IMO if they want to make Assassin's Creed less about assassinating, they should can the series and create no-holds-barred historical open world games. If the core gameplay is not the focus, it's only a hindrance. That was evident in Black Flag, where the traditional AC gameplay dragged the game down considerably. It would have been a far better pirate game if it wasn't held back by the common gameplay tropes of AC (and the ridiculously convoluted nonsense that is AC lore as well). If the main mechanics are merely peripherals what the point of them even being there? To warrant the AC label and boost sales, but they could make far better games without the baggage that label comes with.

Jackdaw951
12-21-2014, 08:30 PM
IMO if they want to make Assassin's Creed less about assassinating, they should can the series and create no-holds-barred historical open world games. If the core gameplay is not the focus, it's only a hindrance. That was evident in Black Flag, where the traditional AC gameplay dragged the game down considerably. It would have been a far better pirate game if it wasn't held back by the common gameplay tropes of AC (and the ridiculously convoluted nonsense that is AC lore as well). If the main mechanics are merely peripherals what the point of them even being there? To warrant the AC label and boost sales, but they could make far better games without the baggage that label comes with.

So, you advocate the series remaining static forever? There is no room for innovation at all? I disagree completely with your assessment of Black Flag, which may be redundant given my name here. It is the game that brought me back to the fold, after Revelations drove me away. The bundle I mentioned also included the new-gen version of Black Flag, and that is what tipped me over the fence I've been perched on since the new gen launched (a year spent mulling over PS4's stronger hardware, XO's better controller, long history with XBL, weak games so far, etc, etc).

The series desperately needs innovation, a new aha! moment like the reveal of the original game. Reviewers kept saying it was a shallow game, but I kept thinking "I don't care!" "I have to go do that." Well, I have done that, jumped on zillions of hay stacks, climbed & synched zillions of viewpoints, parkoured since before "parkour" was a mainstream word. Awesome! Now what? More of the same? I don't need it. Oh, I want it to be there, as part of the series' signature. But there must be something more.

I realize many people play AC for the story. That's not me. There are better ways to tell a story, if that is the primary goal. Games must be about what the player gets to do. Ideally, I should be defining the story as I play. I know we're far away from that goal, if we ever get there.

Edit:

I did, I was on sequence 8 when i returned it. And I have played over 30+ hours. Like I said, i'm just lucky for some reason.

Wow. I must get to know your retailer.

CalvyB
12-21-2014, 08:44 PM
I think a little more communication would be very welcome. They have a dedicated blog to unity which is nice but they don't seem to say anything regarding the companion problems or initiates. which are both coded into unity. can't open half the chests cos you need either initiaes or the app neither of which work....

while unity may have a lot of bad press going around at the minute i find most people i know aren't as bothered as they were bout the previous games. when you look at ac3 and black flags multiplayer communitys there were a lot less players than brotherhood and revelations for example because ac3 and bf are widely regarded as pay to win. where players could buy the best skillsets and abilities from the off and have a huge advantage over players who were higher ranked but had a much weaker set of skills to choose from.... this essentially made many players stay away from ac3 / bf mp entirely and many more would only play the wolfpack modes.

games are becoming less about quality gameplay and more about income. has unity killed my faith in ubisoft. a little to be honest. which on its own is no bad thing.

personally and i think from what i have read many others would say the same. is the problem isn't unity its ubisoft as a whole. so many of there recent titles have had huge faults.

blacklist had tons of progression bugs where you couldn't complete levels such as abandoned city, other bugs that often meant it was impossible to complete a mission "undetected" and other mp matchmaking issues where players were always mercs and never spies etc etc.

watchdogs. the entire online hacking thing was hugely broken where players knew they were being invaded before the invading person even loaded into there game. along with dozens of bugs that told you exactly where the person hacking you was. and as a result you often found your self dead before you even managed to move towards the person you were trying to hack or tail. a totally broken aspect of the game..

and so on with many more of ubisofts recent titles...

All that said though. I do still have high hopes for "the division" and I will probably still buy the next game in the assassins creed series in a year or so whenever it's released. my biggest fears are the division being paytowin

Shahkulu101
12-21-2014, 08:50 PM
So, you advocate the series remaining static forever? There is no room for innovation at all? I disagree completely with your assessment of Black Flag, which may be redundant given my name here. It is the game that brought me back to the fold, after Revelations drove me away. The bundle I mentioned also included the new-gen version of Black Flag, and that is what tipped me over the fence I've been perched on since the new gen launched (a year spent mulling over PS4's stronger hardware, XO's better controller, long history with XBL, weak games so far, etc, etc).

The series desperately needs innovation, a new aha! moment like the reveal of the original game. Reviewers kept saying it was a shallow game, but I kept thinking "I don't care!" "I have to go do that." Well, I have done that, jumped on zillions of hay stacks, climbed & synched zillions of viewpoints, parkoured since before "parkour" was a mainstream word. Awesome! Now what? More of the same? I don't need it. Oh, I want it to be there, as part of the series' signature. But there must be something more.

I realize many people play AC for the story. That's not me. There are better ways to tell a story, if that is the primary goal. Games must be about what the player gets to do. Ideally, I should be defining the story as I play. I know we're far away from that goal, if we ever get there.

I loved Black Flag, and it was actually a better Assassin's Creed game than it's predecessors but what I'm saying is it would have been better as a pirate game if it didn't have to be an Assassins Creed game. The best parts of the game were the sea faring side-quests and the worst part was the campaign. That made it evident that AC's core gameplay only made the game worse, many reviewers agree. It harms both parties. The core mechanics will suffer if they aren't the focus, and if they are poor it harms the overall game -- which Black Flag shows.

And I don't want the series to remain static at all, that implies there is no more potential left to exploit. There is plenty of room for even more nuanced mechanics and even more open assassinations, they could do something interesting with the neglected social stealth -- there's plenty left in the formula to expand and improve upon. Truth be told, I wish there were only three games as intended and they didn't have to mask the poor mechanics with incredibly fun naval mechanics.

orionsrise
12-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Well, this is as good a place to post this as anywhere I guess. I loved almost every thing in Unity. It really is the sequel to the first Assassin's Creed which got me hooked in the series to begin with. And the reason why is I didn't have ANY of the problems that most people had. No framerate issues, no catastrophic crashes, no content locked behind Initiates (my level wasn't correct but still high enough to unlock everything) I mean no problems whatsoever, and that's unusual for me. Now the md story was lacking, (most of it was in Rogue) and I kept forgetting we were in the reign of terror, but I didn't care because I was busy wandering Paris looking for that duel eye sage anyway. I got a very unique view of unity and it's scope was quite ambitious and pleasing. And then I started seeing the problems everyone else was having, and realized that this game was doa. I couldn't say to them, just wait,the game is awesome. Hang in there. When most people couldn't even turn it on. Best keep the fact that I can play this without problems to myself. And it's kind of a shame because without the problems plaguing it, unity was breathtaking to behold.

Hans684
12-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Love Unity's gameplay but the story... It was a waste.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-21-2014, 10:33 PM
I loved almost every thing in Unity. It really is the sequel to the first Assassin's Creed..

Well, except it doesn't have any of the fun things to do that the original AC had - you can't fight off guards to get helpers, you can't walk past guards by staying with a moving crowd, you don't get to listen to NPC conversations, etc. And it doesn't use the historical setting as a meaningful part of the game, as the original did. Also, it dumped all the features that were in later games that were derived from AC1 and that would have made sense in Unity, for example, courtesans, thieves, etc. And it dumped the great features that later games innovated, such as the capture the stronghold missions, that would have worked beautifully in Unity. Finally, the story was nowhere near as complex or as involving as that of AC1.

So if it's a sequel, it's a sequel that dumped all the fun and replaced it with more of the tedium, for example the collecting of chests.

Shahkulu101
12-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Well, except it doesn't have any of the fun things to do that the original AC had - you can't fight off guards to get helpers, you can't walk past guards by staying with a moving crowd, you don't get to listen to NPC conversations, etc. And it dumped all the features that were in later games that were derived from AC1 and that would have made sense in Unity, for example, courtesans, thieves, etc. And it dumped the great features that later games innovated, such as the capture the stronghold missions, that would have worked beautifully in Unity.

So if it's a sequel, it's a sequel that dumped all the fun and replaced it with more of the tedium, for example the collecting of chests.

Er...yes you can. Unless you mean after you've already been detected -- in which case duh. Plus, AC1's crowd blending was limited as you could only do it with one select group.

Factions were getting old, but they could have been done differently in Unity and it may have been cool yeah. Marquis De Sade could have been head of the Courtesans group.

Stronghold missions are fun, but lately they are in every Ubi game. I was actually quite thankful they weren't there, the stealth playground's are found in the Co-op missions - particularly the Heist's. Of course, it's not the same -- so maybe they could have replaced them with something similar. I was sure the Social Club's were supposed to work like outposts and you had to eliminate Templar presence in the cafe before buying it, maybe I'm wrong and am wrongly remembering an interview. Indoor outposts would have been a good spin on the design actually.

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 10:54 PM
I always felt like Courtesans stole away the realism.

Guards: "We are entrusted with our lives to protect this person-OH LOOK PRETTY GIRLS!"

*Leaves from Post*

Sejdovic11
12-21-2014, 11:42 PM
I always felt like Courtesans stole away the realism.

Guards: "We are entrusted with our lives to protect this person-OH LOOK PRETTY GIRLS!"

*Leaves from Post*

I would go with pretty girls too, who gives a F about that person that I must protect :P

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 11:49 PM
I would go with pretty girls too, who gives a F about that person that I must protect :P

Not unless you want a Job.

And who cares about them when I could visit one afterwards.

I don't know...they always felt like cheating in a way.

Shahkulu101
12-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Yeah if I was at a guard post protecting some corrupt rich arsehole and 4 lovely girls approached me I'd be off in a flash... ;)

Namikaze_17
12-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Well regardless, I'm glad they're gone.

The Thieves and Mercenaries made some sense though. ;)

Sejdovic11
12-22-2014, 12:00 AM
Yeah if I was at a guard post protecting some corrupt rich arsehole and 4 lovely girls approached me I'd be off in a flash... ;)

Agree :D

wvstolzing
12-22-2014, 01:22 AM
you can't fight off guards to get helpers.

You do get plenty of comrades by fighting off thugs (the turquoise-colored people who salute you by name); & they're way more active (to the point of sometimes getting in your way) compared to AC1-style helpers.

wvstolzing
12-22-2014, 01:35 AM
The feedback from Unity probably means the series is returning to the power fantasy simulator approach and abandoning it's roots.

Not for Victory, though: In fact, some of the most frustrating aspects of ACU's gameplay gives me some hope for ACV's gameplay.

That is -- I don't think the actual implementation of gameplay mechanics lives up to ACU's mission design. The latter is way more advanced, polished, better-looking, better-thought-out, etc., etc., compared to the former.

With ACV, hopefully, they'll make the two *match up*; and the result has the potential to be *amazing*.

(Note that I'm talking about gameplay; the story is beyond redemption at this point; and I simply don't care.)

Pr0metheus 1962
12-22-2014, 03:37 AM
You do get plenty of comrades by fighting off thugs (the turquoise-colored people who salute you by name); & they're way more active (to the point of sometimes getting in your way) compared to AC1-style helpers.

Yeah, but the process is so impersonal. They just turn up and start helping you - you don't work to get them, so it feels unearned. You never actually save any of them like we did in AC1, and they're no actual help - in fact they make it harder to get certain accomplishments. They are in every way worse than the helpers in AC1, who were more helpful, in that they merely stopped chasers. And it isn't even as good as AC2 and AC3 where you could direct them to distract or attack guards. You can't control these guys.

Assassin_M
12-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Yeah, but the process is so impersonal. They just turn up and start helping you - you don't work to get them, so it feels unearned.
You actually do. They first turn up when you buy a social club and then more start turning up as you do Social Club missions and in the end get scattered all over the club's respective districts.

You never actually save any of them like we did in AC1, and they're no actual help
They're as good as the vigilantes of AC I. You just lead the chasers to them and they'll start fighting, done.

Jackdaw951
12-22-2014, 05:52 PM
I loved Black Flag, and it was actually a better Assassin's Creed game than it's predecessors but what I'm saying is it would have been better as a pirate game if it didn't have to be an Assassins Creed game. The best parts of the game were the sea faring side-quests and the worst part was the campaign. That made it evident that AC's core gameplay only made the game worse, many reviewers agree. It harms both parties. The core mechanics will suffer if they aren't the focus, and if they are poor it harms the overall game -- which Black Flag shows.

And I don't want the series to remain static at all, that implies there is no more potential left to exploit. There is plenty of room for even more nuanced mechanics and even more open assassinations, they could do something interesting with the neglected social stealth -- there's plenty left in the formula to expand and improve upon. Truth be told, I wish there were only three games as intended and they didn't have to mask the poor mechanics with incredibly fun naval mechanics.

Ah, OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I see what you mean, and sort of agree. The most I wanted to do was pirating; the least was tailing and eavesdropping (which are no fun). I was fine with unrestricted stealth and killing, however. I liked the warehouse missions, for example. Goal: raid the warehouse. No other restrictions. Be stealthy, or go on a rampage--my choice. Awesome. I usually tried to be invisible. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it all went to hell, and the bodies piled up. Good times. The darts made it all better too.

I would be fine with them spinning off the naval warfare into a different, but related series. I do hope to see more of it.

[Edit: One more thing. You say the core mechanics are the weakest, but I thought just the opposite. Not only do they work well on land fixtures, but they were extended brilliantly to moving tall ships. Much of the swashbuckling fun comes from this, and it feels perfectly integrated into the core abilities of AC assassins.]

Back on topic, one thing I didn't mention in my first post is this increasing intrusion of extraneous stuff into the AC games. Companion apps and websites as significant components in a console game? No, no. Cut that crap out. Please. Keep console games on consoles (and PC games as self-contained entities--not to dis that platform). This does impact credibility greatly, and will always be a factor in whether I buy future Ubisoft products.

Edit: And then again, there's always this:

It’s beyond unacceptable and just downright ludicrous at this point. If anyone on earth preorders Assassin’s Creed Victory next year after this, there’s no hope for the gaming public. Not one person should buy a copy of the game unless the united press (after hopefully a solid two weeks playing the game pre-launch) declares it in perfect working order, and even then fans should be wary. Unity must be the tipping point where fans have to realize that pre-ordering games does nothing but allow developers to release broken products, and the vicious cycle can only end with consumers saying “no more” by keeping their cash in hand until a game has proven that it actually works as intended at launch.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/12/17/assassins-creed-unity-patch-mistakenly-mutates-into-40gb-game-replacement-on-xbox-one/