PDA

View Full Version : My problem with Unitys combat!

king-hailz
12-20-2014, 01:12 PM
After playing the game for hours and upgrading my weapons and outfits a lot. I have realised that there is a major problem with the combat for unity that makes it frustrating.

Well first of all I will say that I am not complaining about the difficulty at all, I think this is a massive step in the right direction, it is fun and difficult. However the animations and the overall feel is extremely slow and sluggish! When you press the square or X button it takes about 3 seconds for Arno to actually hit the target.... It looks okay but it feels sluggish and wrong. They should really take batman as an example, when I press the attack button it feels as though he hits simultaneously! Unity needed this, it will help us feel much more in control and get rid of the sluggish feeling of it.

Tell me what you think and what you agree and disagree on!

Jackdaw951
12-20-2014, 05:08 PM
They need to go study the game that practically plagiarizes AC, but implements the combat brilliantly: Shadow of Mordor. Reactions are swift and on target. It's a joy to play, unlike the dreary, laggy AC combat.

D.I.D.
12-20-2014, 05:32 PM
They need to go study the game that practically plagiarizes AC, but implements the combat brilliantly: Shadow of Mordor. Reactions are swift and on target. It's a joy to play, unlike the dreary, laggy AC combat.

That's a great combat system for SoM's horde mode style of play, but it's the battle system for a virtual god. It can't be a model for AC without taking us back to the Tankzio days. AC needs to make its own thing, appropriate to its own circumstances.

I don't know if the console version is extremely sluggish by comparison with a good PC, but to my eyes it's going in the right direction and needs refinement. More rhythm might help, but if it is to have more flow then it can't be the "bang, bang, bang, bang" relentless take-that-ery of Batman and SoM. It could get that rhythm going with just as many clashes but fewer wounding hits, with a greater amount of blade-to-blade blocking.

I like SoM's approach to near-death QTE's. Those guided recovery things could even work their way into normal combat - maybe after 3 precise blocks in a row, you earn [x] seconds of slow motion, and you get that "guide the marker onto the circles and hit" element to create critical strikes.

king-hailz
12-20-2014, 05:39 PM
That's a great combat system for SoM's horde mode style of play, but it's the battle system for a virtual god. It can't be a model for AC without taking us back to the Tankzio days. AC needs to make its own thing, appropriate to its own circumstances.

I don't know if the console version is extremely sluggish by comparison with a good PC, but to my eyes it's going in the right direction and needs refinement. More rhythm might help, but if it is to have more flow then it can't be the "bang, bang, bang, bang" relentless take-that-ery of Batman and SoM. It could get that rhythm going with just as many clashes but fewer wounding hits, with a greater amount of blade-to-blade blocking.

I like SoM's approach to near-death QTE's. Those guided recovery things could even work their way into normal combat - maybe after 3 precise blocks in a row, you earn [x] seconds of slow motion, and you get that "guide the marker onto the circles and hit" element to create critical strikes.

Well they don't have to take the system, they should keep the system they have however the should have the quickness of the animations...

Jackdaw951
12-20-2014, 06:20 PM

No, the console version is not overly sluggish. Unity is on par with previous games as far as combat response goes. The problem (with AC in general) is that it's not direct, as if parkour design was applied to combat as well. Let me clarify. Parkour in AC is like riding a horse. You have reins and spurs, and you use them to tell your mount what you want him to do. Then he does it as well as he can, but he still has a mind of his own, and may not respond the way you envisioned. That's understandable. The process is too complex, and the paths and options too dependent on unseen data for us to handle it all directly. But this should not apply to combat, which should be much more direct. I used SoM as an example of AC-like combat done correctly. The lag I mentioned is built into AC. Your input does not always lead to immediate action or the desired action, and as the OP said, the long animations make it seem even worse.

SolidSage
12-20-2014, 06:27 PM
I disagree, combat in a game like Batman doesn't take much thought really, you mash buttons and flick the joystick and he just bounces around all over the place. I mean, there is skill to it of course but it plays very arcadey. What we have in Unity allows for situations to develop, rather than be instant explosive action fests, Unity adds a feeling of realism, and real punishment for error. I personally like the timing that is required and the fact that open combat has a drawback compared to swiftly assassinating AI who are unaware.

What I think is needed is a return of the empty hand option, and offering an option to make combat mode engage/disengage manually.

I also wonder if establishing a realistic type of timing in combat, is going to allow for player vs player Combat down the line. Need it a little slower to allow for online stability I would think, like in the older mp's.

SlyTrooper
12-20-2014, 10:32 PM
The parry button doesn't work half the time. That's what's wrong with it. If I press the button then it should work & I shouldn't get hit, but that's not what happens.