PDA

View Full Version : My opinion about AC:U and it's ending *Spoilers inside*

MarcoFco
12-20-2014, 04:59 AM
So i just finished Assassin's Creed Unity yesterday.

I have been hyped for the game since it was announced and i couldn't wait to play, i had played AC2, AC3 and AC Black Flag before Unity so i considered my self a fan of the series and i couldn't wait to play in revolutionary France.

So i started playing the game 4 days ago (completed the game in 3 days) and this were my reactions:

So after playing the first mission i was impressed by the graphics of the game and i was actually a bit shocked by Arno's Father death.

So after a few more minutes of playing trough the game i reached the part when you infiltrate the palace to meet with Elise. and i immediately liked Elise's character, i don't know if it was her form of expressing, her charisma or just something else.

Then i reached the part where Arno is framed for Elise's Dad murder. which again was a genuine surprise for me.

I won't get into detail about everything i thought or experienced about every single mission of the game so i will give you a summary:

I really like the gameplay, the parkour felt more fluid and i think it was good they got rid of the counter-insta kill system from past AC games

The addition of the stealth button was welcome and it sure helped at certain parts of the game.

In my opinion most of the missions were pretty enjoyable and itself the plot was pretty good

Cutscenes were very good and the character's and voice acting felt alive and vivid trough the game.

Animations were top notch in all senses, from combat to parkour to movements while talking

Also plot twists were well made and great like when you find out Bellec murdered Mirabeau and fight him in the Sainte-Chapelle. or when you find out Germain was a sage and the templar grand master even tough you helped him a while ago.

Trough the game i started to feel more and more attached to Elise after all the missions you do with her and Arno and her work like a well oiled machine when they are together
The part when Arno gets expelled from the brotherhood. was also unexpected to me and literally left me with an open mouth.
After going back to The Versailles palace to go for your father's watch. it just felt depressing. Just walking on those old and lonely hallways relieving old memories from the past...it just hit me right in the feels :(

So i finally reached the ending, the big fight against Germain, i was ready for it, i knew this would be the end, the culmination of all the years of work between Arno and Elise.
After fighting trough all the stages i was ready to strike the killing blow, i desperately saw how Arno was crushed by that pillar and Elise was trying to help him i knew what would happen next... As i impotently watched how Elise charged against Germain i just screamed NO!!!

As i watched how Elise and Germain battled each other and how Elise's sword broke, how Arno was running to save his only motivation in life...i nearly died of a heart attack
So there i was...i had just completed the game i was waiting for since so long, what could i do now? Elise was dead, Arno was out of the brotherhood, What would happen next? Was this the end for great master assassin Arno Victor Dorian? I guess it was...

After the end of the game i couldn't help but feel a little bit depressed, Arno lost it completely all, my heart was broke. I usually don't get too emotional about games, but i do recognize when a game has a good story, and this game surely does.

Arno's final Monologue was majestic and it really showed how much the events of the game changed him.

I really wish for a different or alternate ending where Elise lives and she and Arno marry or live together that would just make the ending feel more fulfilling or "complete"
It just fell that Elise's death was just there for the sake of having a tragic ending.

Overall i LOVED the game, it's just a superb piece of art which i don't regret a even a bit buying. It has every thing a good game should have (But still f**k that ending)

Talking about the present day story i think the game could be deemed "useless". In the end Germain's body was too well hidden and no one had to do anything since Abstergo would never reach it.

TL;DR: I liked the game, i didn't like the ending.

Jackdaw951
12-20-2014, 07:18 AM
I was fine with the story. The ending was a downer, but a strong one; and it fit with Elise's insistence of achieving goals instead of protecting her.

As soon as I was on my feet from under the rubble, I quick-shot Germain with the golden pistol. Damn, that should have been quick enough to save her.

GolfPro72
12-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Personally I thought the ending was appropriate. Had Elise lived through it, I would have been more than a little disappointed, as it would have been contrary to the rest of the story arc (I sort of saw that coming), and it would have left me with an overall "fairy tale" sort of ending. I'm not against such a thing, but generally speaking those tend to get shoe horned in as a means of keeping the story light. I'm of the opinion that AC stories aren't supposed to be light. None of them.

With that said, an alternate ending would have been neat if it were made available based on whether you were quick enough to do something to prevent the death. As Jackdaw said, a quick shot or something like that, but bear in mind that the killing blow wasn't his - it was Elise and the Sword of Eden. So making the alternate ending available would be a cool idea, but you would have to be extremely quick and maybe even a bit lucky to trigger it.

The story was pretty good, and the graphics for the most part were incredible (except in Sequence 11 - anyone else experience that?). I too would have liked it to have been maybe a little longer in terms of gameplay, but I think the story itself was well done and didn't overreach in areas where it could easily have gone off the rails. The music was excellent (you can download it from UPlay, if you're interested). The AI crowds were a huge disappointment and change nothing in terms of how you approach missions. The AI guards were fairly mindless. The combat system was fine, and I like the perfect counter idea a lot. I also really enjoyed the custom kills, but not as much as the chain kills from earlier. I thought that was fantastic, and wished they'd kept it. Parkour sequences, when going full tilt and you have a flow going, is awesome. I like the use of the two buttons as opposed to just one.

I am definitely looking forward to being able to play Dead Kings. Provided that it isn't full of glitches (insert laughing here), it looks like it has the setting and themes that I really like about the previous games, along the lines of the missions in Brotherhood that were so enjoyable. Very dark, almost creepy, with much more emphasis (I hope) on stealth and proper strategy. I'm also glad it's free, because honestly, I probably wouldn't have paid for it. Not at that price. I could care less about DLC weapons and that sort of thing.

Overall though - and this is just my opinion - I have this one ranked second last in the series, ahead of III but behind IV and Revelations. I just feel like they were really on the right track in terms of gameplay with II and then Brotherhood, and it started to slip and regress from there. III was just boring and I couldn't empathize with the main character at all. At least Kenway was more interesting and had a personality. But beyond those things, I thought with II they had addressed many of the issues from the original game, and then improved on that in huge way, and gave us a game with a fantastic character, a great story, a world that was big and fun to play in and with lots to do, and many ways to do the things we wanted and needed to. I felt Unity lost a step with that.

king-hailz
12-20-2014, 12:59 PM
That is the most positive review of unity so far...

WeakRacer
12-21-2014, 03:30 AM
This is exactly how I feel about the ending. I personally love the story of Unity although it's too short IMO. I love the story so much that I waited until yesterday to do the final memory, and man was I disappointed. Honestly, I'm still depressed by it. I feel like her death is totally unnecessary and it's a dumb move by the writers. I mean, can you imagine the DLCs they can put out if Elise lives? Imagine what they can do to the Assassin's and Templar's Orders together for the future titles. I mean, that's a whole new territory for this franchise, but they decided to kill it. Anyway, I agree with you 100%. It's just sad. Very sad, and just like you, I rarely get emotional about these fictional stories, but this one hit me hard.

LoyalACFan
12-21-2014, 03:45 AM
Personally I thought the ending was appropriate.

I agree that it was appropriate given Elise's headstrong, one-track-mind "I value vengeance more than life" personality, but I'm personally disappointed that they went that route at all. The VERY FIRST TIME we saw Elise in the trailer, we all knew she was dead. It's a really depressing statement about the state of the industry that every fan can instantly predict a character's death based solely on the fact that she's a female supporting character. They had a PERFECT opportunity to do something different, something more substantial, that would take us by surprise and tell a story worth remembering. But nope. They botched that and went for yet another "femme fatale in a kinda-relationship with hero gets killed 4 teh feelz" story. Never seen one of those before :nonchalance: And it's a shame, because the story really showed promise in the first half.

Smithies89
12-21-2014, 04:12 AM
I thought the end was appropriate. She was obsessed with revenge and it cost her. My only disapointment is that the sage plot didn't go anywhere. The whole point was trying to find out where his remains were located in the end it's like "ok we don't need that anymore they will be too decayed" wasn't that obvious of course they would after 300 years

Altair1789
12-21-2014, 05:24 AM
I knew it was coming when they released the Dead Kings DLC trailer. I waited for her to die every mission since sequence 10 (which was like 6 missions so it's not that much)

Overall, liked gameplay, but it was flawed by certain things (not glitches, I loved those). Hated the story, I didn't give a crap about Elise dying, but hated that Unity was useless in terms of modern day

VestigialLlama4
12-21-2014, 05:47 AM
I thought the end was appropriate. She was obsessed with revenge and it cost her.

Ezio was obsessed with revenge and Connor was obsessed with revenge and it cost neither of them their lives. Why is that any time a girl wants revenge, she has to *punished*. I get it it's because she's ignoring her boyfriend.

Anyone who buys the idea that Elise dies because...Revenge=Bad are deluding themselves. She died for a cheap shock and nothing more.

WeakRacer
12-21-2014, 06:10 PM
I agree that it was appropriate given Elise's headstrong, one-track-mind "I value vengeance more than life" personality, but I'm personally disappointed that they went that route at all. The VERY FIRST TIME we saw Elise in the trailer, we all knew she was dead. It's a really depressing statement about the state of the industry that every fan can instantly predict a character's death based solely on the fact that she's a female supporting character. They had a PERFECT opportunity to do something different, something more substantial, that would take us by surprise and tell a story worth remembering. But nope. They botched that and went for yet another "femme fatale in a kinda-relationship with hero gets killed 4 teh feelz" story. Never seen one of those before :nonchalance: And it's a shame, because the story really showed promise in the first half.

You're right. The truth is, her death really isn't that much of a surprise. Given her personality, it's easy to predict the outcome. In fact, almost every mission with Elise after the crime scene investigation memory, I just thought "oh man, are they gonna kill her in this mission? Please don't. She is too badass to die." However, sequence 11 actually gave me a glimpse of hope that she might live, and that's because she actually went back to Versailles to find Arno and actually got his father's pocket watch for him. That shows she does value something more than her vengeance. Remember that hot air balloon ride? Elise was actually the one looking forward, unlike Arno who was still looking backward at the time. And yet, the writers want us to believe that at that very last moment, where Germain was critically hurt and couldn't really get away, she would not spend a few seconds to help Arno to get up and would just run straight to a guy wielding a supernatural sword and fight him? Come on. That's just lazy writing. They killed her for the sake of a tragic ending, just 'cause the events that led up to it weren't tragic enough (sarcasm here). It's a shame. A real shame.

Jackdaw951
12-21-2014, 07:08 PM
They . . . went for yet another "femme fatale in a kinda-relationship with hero gets killed 4 teh feelz" story. Never seen one of those before :nonchalance:

Haha! Yeah, man. That's the state not only of the game industry, but movies too. It's OK to have stories that end well, writers--really, it is. If done intelligently, it doesn't have to be sugary either.

GoldenBoy9999
12-21-2014, 08:22 PM
You sound like you really liked the story and I believe you because you described it so well. Most of us hated it.

Don't fret about the ending thing. Yes, Elise is dead, but we still have Dead Kings which will give Arno an ending to his story. And everyone gets it free. :)

I and many others saw Elise's death coming from the first few trailers and details. It just seemed liked the perfect person to kill off. I've heard you can also tell Bellec is the traitor from the Story Trailer. When Dead Kings was announced, it really put the nail in the coffin that Elise dies even if you barely think about the contents of the trailer.