PDA

View Full Version : Presumed SLI issue --- Strobe/Stuttering/Flickering etc surfaces (PC/Steam)

Phyneas8
12-19-2014, 05:56 AM
I have seen this mentioned elsewhere in here and on the Steam forum for ACU, after this most recent patch I get a sort of strobe/stuttering effect on certain surfaces, window panes and puddles and such. I put this in the PC forum even though I suppose it is a technical issue as I have only heard of it for PC thus far. I am wondering if anyone has found a solution to it? I am using the newest beta drivers from Nvidia (347.09) on Win7Prox64, dual GTX 580's in SLI and so on. I have tried verifying the cache and it didn't fix it. I was wondering if anyone in the community had found a fix thus far, I don't hold out much hope of Ubisoft fixing it quickly. I don't know a whole lot about these things so I avoid playing around with settings and profiles that I might break, but I was wondering if any of the more experienced people on here had found a workaround, short of turning off SLI (if that even works)?

ACE7492
12-19-2014, 06:41 AM
I'm having the same issue and its the same with the beta driver or 344.75. Turning SLI off did make it stop but that is not a fix for me. This game being what it is makes me want to have both cards running whenever I can. All windows, small puddles, and worst of all and most noticeable are the larger bodies of water, the strobe effect almost hurts the eyes. I hate this mess of a game! Until now my fps had been 45-60 in most areas and my biggest problem had been hair and clothing jumping every 3 seconds or so. Now I still have the hair problem and a new SLI problem. I love it!! Video of it happening http://youtu.be/NSokflg0mBM

amikhel
12-19-2014, 07:35 AM
Well, this game don't support SLI I think :( , and the nvidia GeForce Experience select the ultra settings and TXAA in my case as optimal settings with 2 gtx 780. That's a shame.

Greetings.

ashkev
12-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Same issue here using SLI 980GTXs with the beta drivers. Disabling SLI fixes the issue but then the framerate of this game is junk without SLI.

I did not have this issue until 1.4.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXU7wSf2PFc&hd=1

Lots of people also complaining about the same issue on the Steam forums:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/626329820755328040/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/626329820782184566/

Phyneas8
12-19-2014, 08:25 AM
If this is an SLI issue, it is strange because you would think that a company that works closely with Nvidia (who presumably like to sell and encourage the sale of as many GPU's as possible, and thus inevitably will incorporate SLI somewhat often and would pass this on to their developer partners) would take into account SLI especially when they engineer a game which by their own admission requires quite a lot of horsepower to run. Not necessarily two or more GPU's, but surely they would anticipate that a lot of people who play their AAA titles would have SLI setups, and take this into account when they go on to patch it as well. I'm sure others have pointed this out before, and I don't actually know how common SLI is, but still, they had a serious SLI issue with darkness on Far Cry 4 which I am not even sure if it has been fixed yet (probably has). Maybe it was just an oversight/mistake, but still, strange, and its not the first time I've noticed higher-end-spec games having problems with SLI, though I don't know enough about games or hardware to say much about it, maybe there is a specific/good reason for it.

hlchade
12-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Just wanted to add, as I've written in another thread, that I'm also having flickering issues with SLI enabled.

That being said, after climbing to the top of Notre Dame the flickering actually did stop for me. I wasn't sure whether it was the climbing or just continuing to run the game that "fixed" it.

I haven't run the game since testing it out after the patch (and my instinct tells me that the flickering would make a return upon rebooting the game, which is something I should probably check) ... but, if anyone here would be so kind as to test whether or not they get the same result I would be curious to hear about it.

Well, this game don't support SLI I think :(

Technically, I think it does. I'm pretty sure nvidia's game ready driver included an SLI profile for Unity at release. Although I didn't start playing Unity until after patch 2 hit, so I'm not saying that with absolute certainty.

Maybe it was just an oversight/mistake, but still, strange, and its not the first time I've noticed higher-end-spec games having problems with SLI, though I don't know enough about games or hardware to say much about it, maybe there is a specific/good reason for it.

SLI support can be pretty hit or miss ... I'd like to think it was an oversight in this instance. I had a couple of particular glitches in AC3 and ToKW that only occurred with SLI enabled so I chose to only run those on one card, but they were problems at release (and continue to this day). The kicker with this patch is that SLI was working perfectly (for me) before applying patch 4 and has only now become an issue.

I can only hope that when testing patches they are able to so with SLI/crossfire equipped PCs (regardless of how relatively small the userbase of those technologies may be) to avoid this kind of thing.

ACE7492
12-19-2014, 02:53 PM
I did jump in and try climbing to the top of notre dame and it didn't work, I could see heavy flicker on both sides of the river and I fast traveled to the top and got the same result. Some of the small surfaces on roof tops are even flickering. I'm hoping they get this fixed soon as playing on one card is not an option. this game needs all the video power it can use in my opinion.

DrParamonos
12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
For those that are interested;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTb1hNaJXqs&feature=youtu.be

hlchade
12-19-2014, 03:45 PM
I did jump in and try climbing to the top of notre dame and it didn't work, I could see heavy flicker on both sides of the river and I fast traveled to the top and got the same result.

Thanks for giving it a go and reporting back for me, ACE7492. It's unfortunate the effect could not be replicated.

Harmoniser1978
12-19-2014, 04:03 PM
having the same problem SLI performance is about the same but now reflections are flickering.

For the guy who mentioned the UBI and Nvidia partnership, yes it is strange how SLI is so broken, and it not just this game. Not sure how Nvidia gets away selling SLI to us using ACU

I hope their PC team hasn't booked their xmas holidays and nvidia also gets their finger out and helps them.

dawidopera
12-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Guys. Maby You can help me. I am gtx 980 sli user. I always had bad performance with SLI in this game. Almost the same like with single GPU. MY gpu load is 50% and while
customizing character it goes up to 90%.

Can You check this my video with this problem??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaAENT7yIUc

i7 4790k 4.00
gtx 980 sli
EVGA 850W
8gb ram
Windows 8.1
1080p resolution.

My firestrike score is 18600 and Crysis 3 runs great. I have no idea what is going on.

Onsyman
01-06-2015, 08:18 PM
SLI 780 gtx, changing the Ambient Occlusion resulted in different patterns of stuttering, if you're into some more special effects
god damn you ubisoft..

paolo11
01-07-2015, 12:09 AM
I have 980gtx SLI with i7 4790k patch 1.4. If you want smooth performance, this is what you do.

A) For flickering issues, load sequence 4.1 and quit mission.

B) For smooth gameplay, turn Vsync on. I play this game constant 60fps with small drops on few areas(I mean few).

You can thank me later.