PDA

View Full Version : The whole Nomad thing is unethical

EmptyCrustacean
12-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Look, Ubisoft, I'm not saying you can't have your cute little Nomad missions and not have it influence the game in some way, shape or form but what you absolutely can not do is make it necessary to get 100% completion. That is simply unacceptable. When people purchase Unity the entire game itself should be accessible via the gaming console.
To lock some of that content/missions behind devices that gamers may or may not own is stupid and defeats the entire purpose of having a console in the first place.

Now, I have an iPhone 4 but I do not want to use it for next gen gaming. The Nomad app eats up all my battery life, it's SLOW seeing as it cannot compare to the memory of a PS4 and because it's touch screen you're bound to tap things by accident. It's just unecessary and I feel like I'm suffering through it just to get 100% rather than enjoying it for what it is. It's a real shame since Ubisoft finally nailed the whole 'Assassin recruits' with the Kenway Fleet missions last year. Uplay has always been annoying and with Kenway's Fleet they found a way to make it beneficial for the user - in that you didn't need to be logged into you game to do the missions. Now they've taken a step backwards by taking the similar concept but to a different device. It is clear Ubisoft seem to have tis disdain for their fans and I for one would like to know why.

Rafe Harwood
12-19-2014, 03:30 AM
Unethical? Are you absolutely sure you used the word you wanted to there?

Secondly, Kenways Fleet was far from being nailed, unless a cross was involved. It was non-repeatable. A once off for your username/account. It was also an app on mobile phones.

While I cannot comment on the Nomad stuff (I'm still trying to get hold of a machine to play the darn thing on), there are some glaring errors in your argument :/

EmptyCrustacean
12-19-2014, 04:11 AM
Unethical? Are you absolutely sure you used the word you wanted to there?

Secondly, Kenways Fleet was far from being nailed, unless a cross was involved. It was non-repeatable. A once off for your username/account. It was also an app on mobile phones.

While I cannot comment on the Nomad stuff (I'm still trying to get hold of a machine to play the darn thing on), there are some glaring errors in your argument :/

Yes, unethical. Ubisoft knowingly made some people pay for 80% of a game when there is about 20% they wouldn't have access to.
What do you mean Kenways Fleet was 'non repeatable'? You could play the missions as many times as you wanted. As for being an app on the mobile, that is completely irrelevant. The fact is, you could play Kenway's Fleet on the console too so your point is invalid. You havem't even played the Nomad missions and you're debating it with me? LOL

DeanOMiite
12-19-2014, 04:16 AM
I don't find it unethical, but I agree completely that you should be able to complete the game 100% IN-GAME. The companion app is cool, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but it shouldn't be exclusive to mobile devices. You should be able to manage all the nomad stuff in game, and then have the OPTION to manage it on a mobile device outside the game. It's just so thoroughly aggravating to have to do stuff outside the game to totally complete it.

spotgimer
12-19-2014, 04:41 AM
This concept definitely is stupid. I feel like this is what Ubi sees as expanding the game. This does exactly the opposite. Basically, there making you pay for the app to get 100%, even though its free you still have to pay for the game. The game has aspects to it that require other devices. when you buy unity, your really buying unity, the companion app, initiates levels, and the nomad app stuff.

Hrafnagud72
12-19-2014, 05:01 AM
I don't find it unethical, but I agree completely that you should be able to complete the game 100% IN-GAME. The companion app is cool, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but it shouldn't be exclusive to mobile devices. You should be able to manage all the nomad stuff in game, and then have the OPTION to manage it on a mobile device outside the game. It's just so thoroughly aggravating to have to do stuff outside the game to totally complete it.

It is unethical the knowingly charge someone for content they cannot access. There are many people out there who do not have smart phones. And to unlock the content in game, that you paid for when you bought the game, you must have a smart phone. That is the perfect example of unethical.

DeanOMiite
12-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Yes, unethical. Ubisoft knowingly made some people pay for 80% of a game when there is about 20% they wouldn't have access to.

Come on now, referring to the content unlocked in the companion app as "20% of the game" is silly. I'm with you in the sense that everything in the game should be unlockable IN the game, but I don't think the tiny amount of content hidden behind the companion app and nomad missions represents a breach in ethics. If you want to make a point about ethics, you should be focusing on how the game was clearly not playtested before it was released, THAT is an ethical breach. I'm a total Assassin's Creed fanboy and Ubisoft apologist, but they should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a game that didn't work correctly.

EmptyCrustacean
12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Come on now, referring to the content unlocked in the companion app as "20% of the game" is silly. I'm with you in the sense that everything in the game should be unlockable IN the game, but I don't think the tiny amount of content hidden behind the companion app and nomad missions represents a breach in ethics. If you want to make a point about ethics, you should be focusing on how the game was clearly not playtested before it was released, THAT is an ethical breach. I'm a total Assassin's Creed fanboy and Ubisoft apologist, but they should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a game that didn't work correctly.

Yes, releasing a game thwy knew that didn't work properly is unethical... as is releasing a game that a lot of games will not have 100% access to!!! You don't pay 50 for a game you can't even fully play!

HeJePi
12-19-2014, 01:47 PM
I will not go to the extreme to call this unethical ...

I prefer to say it is unfair and useless in the context ...

Basically I hate games that force you to do stoupid thing and some initiates challenges are really ... but really stupid.
Like throwing 500 money pouches for example or jumping over / sliding under obstacles 2 or 300 times.

Nomad missions that takes 12, 24 or more real hours to complete is what I call stupid.

Of all AC games, this is the one that frustrates me the most !

bitebug2003
12-19-2014, 02:12 PM
I will not go to the extreme to call this unethical ...

I prefer to say it is unfair and useless in the context ...

Basically I hate games that force you to do stoupid thing and some initiates challenges are really ... but really stupid.
Like throwing 500 money pouches for example or jumping over / sliding under obstacles 2 or 300 times.

Nomad missions that takes 12, 24 or more real hours to complete is what I call stupid.

Of all AC games, this is the one that frustrates me the most !

No one is forcing you to do anything - you don't have to throw 500 money pouches and slide under/over obstacles 300 times (it's there for those who don't mind those challenges).

The Nomad missions that takes 24 hours -- that doesn't bother me -- because I can simple do other things until the time passes
Kenway's Fleet did the same and yes I agree the last mission to unlock the final Templar map (Barcelona) was a wait fest.

Personally I don't like integrated multiplayer in any game (especially those that have MP trophies/achievements)
I didn't like Assassin's Creed Multiplayer and the amount of trophies attached to them meant that aside from ACII and AC:Rogue the rest of the Assassin Creed games I have only completed the Single player campaigns to 100%.
That does bother me because I am a completionist, and although AC:Unity only has 2 trophies that require you to play online I'd rather they weren't there at all.

king-hailz
12-19-2014, 02:24 PM
The ACU app is so annoying! If I don't leave it on all the time it stops working and so my battery gets drained... also its so long and boring.... I have up playing unity because of it...

If something makes me not play your game you might want to get rid of it...

Hrafnagud72
12-19-2014, 07:24 PM
So say I sell you 20 oranges, I hand you 15 of them and tell you you get the other 5 by downloading an app. And you don't have a smart phone to download the app. How would that make you feel?

EmptyCrustacean
12-19-2014, 07:35 PM
So say I sell you 20 oranges, I hand you 15 of them and tell you you get the other 5 by downloading an app. And you don't have a smart phone to download the app. How would that make you feel?

Cheated.

wickywoowoo
12-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Why can Ubisoft not make an app for this type of thing for the Vita? Some games make Vita a second screen for maps, etc so why this isn't a doable thing for Ubisoft, I dunno.

ElioKenway
12-19-2014, 09:25 PM
No one is forcing you to do anything - you don't have to throw 500 money pouches and slide under/over obstacles 300 times (it's there for those who don't mind those challenges).

The Nomad missions that takes 24 hours -- that doesn't bother me -- because I can simple do other things until the time passes
Kenway's Fleet did the same and yes I agree the last mission to unlock the final Templar map (Barcelona) was a wait fest.

Personally I don't like integrated multiplayer in any game (especially those that have MP trophies/achievements)
I didn't like Assassin's Creed Multiplayer and the amount of trophies attached to them meant that aside from ACII and AC:Rogue the rest of the Assassin Creed games I have only completed the Single player campaigns to 100%.
That does bother me because I am a completionist, and although AC:Unity only has 2 trophies that require you to play online I'd rather they weren't there at all.

There's only one problem: for all my friends and me, the companion doesn't even work. I've tested it on multiple platforms and devices. It just simply doesn't work. All the missions works fine and the app too, but the chests simply don't unlock in game. Neither do we get the reward after 24 hours of waiting.

So it might be 'unethical' (lol) to hide 20 of the 100 chests behind an app that doesn't even work...

JustPlainQuirky
12-19-2014, 09:25 PM
The word you're looking for, OP, is anti-consumer.

Not unethical.

Hans684
12-19-2014, 09:44 PM
So when do you think we're going to need to rob a bank for exclusive content?

Fatal-Feit
12-19-2014, 09:47 PM
So when do you think we're going to need to rob a bank for exclusive content?

Eh, we already have to.

The amount of money it costs us to buy all of the ubicollectibles in AC:IV and U will cost us half a grand.

Hans684
12-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Eh, we already have to.

The amount of money it costs us to buy all of the ubicollectibles in AC:IV and U will cost us half a grand.

Fair enough.

EmptyCrustacean
12-19-2014, 09:58 PM
The word you're looking for, OP, is anti-consumer.

Not unethical.

No, it's UNETHICAL.

ETA: And anti-consumer.

Hans684
12-19-2014, 11:30 PM
It's actually pure business and makes money, doesn't change how bad it is for the games. But they won't hear us, it's one of the cons of the digital age of gaming industry that won't change.

capricorn four
12-22-2014, 02:32 PM
it is unethical... and the bugs make it unplayable so it's doubly unethical ....... They made their last buck from me never again will I buy a Creed game and I'll think twice about anything Ubisoft...... and I've been a fan from the first Creed game......... the unresolved Bellec confrontation Glitch killed it for me yesterday .... because some have managed to work around it didn't help matters...... a huge number couldn't and I am one of them...... the main game is stuck at sequence 7 memory 3.....