PDA

View Full Version : The Tournament - BS!!!!!!

STDlyMcStudpants
12-18-2014, 11:42 PM
The Tournament is a perfect example of MP trophies being BS
For 1 NO BODY PLAYS THE TOURNAMENT
Its a mission designed for 4 people... No One plays it making the first leg nearly IMPOSSIBLE
And for 2 when you finally make a bit of progress the game crashed... OF ALL MISSIONS TO CRASH!!!!
Its happened to me twice already, and i cant help but think its because of the constant desyncing...
Please patch in a timer that adjusts to the players in the mission...
This is massively unfair

Hans684
12-18-2014, 11:44 PM
I love it, I've completed it alone several times.

GolfPro72
12-19-2014, 01:37 AM
The Tournament is a perfect example of MP trophies being BS
For 1 NO BODY PLAYS THE TOURNAMENT
Its a mission designed for 4 people... No One plays it making the first leg nearly IMPOSSIBLE
And for 2 when you finally make a bit of progress the game crashed... OF ALL MISSIONS TO CRASH!!!!
Its happened to me twice already, and i cant help but think its because of the constant desyncing...
Please patch in a timer that adjusts to the players in the mission...
This is massively unfair

There are videos all over YouTube of this being successfully completed solo. You need to have a plan going in to the flag event, and once you get past that, the rest is pretty simple. You just can't haphazardly run around and hope to get all the flags. You need to string together runs of multiple flags so you can build the timer enough to compensate for parts where the spacing is farther apart.

This is by no means undoable solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-94Psy9_VgM

wvstolzing
12-19-2014, 01:49 AM
I did it solo as well, and I think it's very doable.

It's difficult to describe a strategy for the flags in 'prose'; but once you get the hang of it, it's possible to finish the thing with ~15 seconds remaining.

SolidSage
12-19-2014, 02:03 AM
I do this solo all the time. It's practically the best mission available because of the challenge when 0 playing solo.

First part is easy, use stealth.

Flag race took me about 8 tries to determine the best route, now it's doable every time (a mistake can shaft you though).

The combat tournament is great, just how I like it. Beserk dart a guy in each group, throw poison on them, or just gut it out with swords and smoke. What's not to love?

The actual assassination is a breeze. Through the window, drop behind the rifleman and KO (oh yes you can), up on the ledge, phantom blade the 4 targets, out the window, mission complete. Easiest part of the entire mission.

I do this using master clothing, legendary gauntlets and a boss sword. Complaining about this mission is more like an admission of low effort or poor skills/pack out.
And funnily enough, it's the most played mission for me when I do public, people are always playing it.

TLDR:
Complain about something legitimate, there's loads to choose from but the tourney isn't one of them.
It reminds me of games of old, when you used to have to try and try again, before all this unlimited lives, replenishing health made everyone a pro gamer ;)

bitebug2003
12-19-2014, 02:09 AM
I'm still of the belief ever since it was announced that at its roots this was intended to be a co-op focused AC entry.

I find some of the co-op missions hit and miss (I do not intend to play them with others) and from those that I have completed already they did test my patience and I feel that more thought went into designing them than the solo missions.

The Infernal Machine was a nightmare on solo and that's only because it was timed.

That's not necessarily a bad thing but 'some' of the solo missions are a little lacklustre.

I do like the game - I like the atmosphere - the customization and the skill tree etc., and thankfully there are only 2 required MP trophies

HDinHB
12-19-2014, 02:49 AM
I'll play it with you. It's a bit messy, but doable with 2 people.

D.I.D.
12-19-2014, 03:16 AM
I did it solo as well, and I think it's very doable.

It's difficult to describe a strategy for the flags in 'prose'; but once you get the hang of it, it's possible to finish the thing with ~15 seconds remaining.

The annoying thing with it is that it's not so much a test of skill as an unveiling of all the worst failings of the parkour system. You have to develop a kind of operant conditioning through punishment, to learn that potential jumps that look perfectly logical are just not going to happen and you should never try them, that rings on a pole that say "climb me" will just leave you clinging there like an idiot, or that other moves are so clunky and unreliable that they shouldn't be employed. The flag course is a really weird piece of design.

wvstolzing
12-19-2014, 03:18 AM
to learn that potential jumps that look perfectly logical are just not going to happen and you should never try them, that rings on a pole that say "climb me" will just leave you clinging there like an idiot

Spot on.

And actually that post is really good piece of advice for anyone trying to do it solo: Make note of what *doesn't* work, and don't try it next time.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-19-2014, 04:46 AM
I did say nearly...
I did it on my own...but I had to replay up to the spot over and over because the missions itself is massively unstable.
I however don't have the patience to do it 2 more times for all rewards.... It's hard to find anyone to play with outside of heads will roll, the sacrifice, and woman's March.
These missions are all very shallow too, not at all open ended so I don't really blame the gamers for there being a lack of people to play with...after you play it 3 times, why play again?
And as said it's the parkour system that makes it so frustrating....half of the time Arno will climb the rings, other times he won't...some flags give you credit for standing on top of them...in fact all do except one of the final flags at the beginning...
Arno also jumps off of beams instead of to the one you point your stick at....
It's doable... But it's no fun solo...especially with a timer that assumed 3 people are helping you.... Like should've been a 2 max and adjusted accordingly....
Of all co op missions to put a time trial in...how does it make sense to put it in a max 4 with a mp mode that has no replay value?

SolidSage
12-19-2014, 06:39 AM
I'll play it with you. It's a bit messy, but doable with 2 people.
This is with Napoleon's convoy and the snipers? I solo it by starting left, crossing and doing that whole right roof, then free aim the last guy on the left (only killing sniper threats), then over the rope, upstairs then downstairs snipers, cross the road up the wall, hit the open roof hard and then drop to the balcony for a double before the explosion.
The rest of it is low pressure.

The annoying thing with it is that it's not so much a test of skill as an unveiling of all the worst failings of the parkour system. You have to develop a kind of operant conditioning through punishment, to learn that potential jumps that look perfectly logical are just not going to happen and you should never try them, that rings on a pole that say "climb me" will just leave you clinging there like an idiot, or that other moves are so clunky and unreliable that they shouldn't be employed. The flag course is a really weird piece of design.

Spot on.

And actually that post is really good piece of advice for anyone trying to do it solo: Make note of what *doesn't* work, and don't try it next time.
Both of these guys are right. Not only is smart routing essential, during that route, you have to perform specific moves, you can't just go for a variety of actions. The way the course is built with actionables in such close proximity, the bs no worky rings on some poles, it's all about focus and precision. But once you know you have to apply that kind or effort, it's pretty doable consistently.

I replay coop solo a bit, I like some of the missions a lot. The added challenge of increased difficulty, and to gather those sync points.
Some of the Social Club missions are the best designed imo, they feel like they work better. I've still got to replay my DNA strand though to find the best bombastic action combat play pieces. I like large AI density.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-19-2014, 07:11 AM
This is with Napoleon's convoy and the snipers? I solo it by starting left, crossing and doing that whole right roof, then free aim the last guy on the left (only killing sniper threats), then over the rope, upstairs then downstairs snipers, cross the road up the wall, hit the open roof hard and then drop to the balcony for a double before the explosion.
The rest of it is low pressure.

Both of these guys are right. Not only is smart routing essential, during that route, you have to perform specific moves, you can't just go for a variety of actions. The way the course is built with actionables in such close proximity, the bs no worky rings on some poles, it's all about focus and precision. But once you know you have to apply that kind or effort, it's pretty doable consistently.

I replay coop solo a bit, I like some of the missions a lot. The added challenge of increased difficulty, and to gather those sync points.
Some of the Social Club missions are the best designed imo, they feel like they work better. I've still got to replay my DNA strand though to find the best bombastic action combat play pieces. I like large AI density.

I played nearly every mission solo (not by choice).. only time i replayed them is to get co op sync kills trophy...
I really cant believe you actually enjoy these missions
They are a wild goose hunt grind fest...
I dont find them difficult in the least bit.. im a gold diamond elite officer.. i slice through groups of level 5s like ezio in brotherhood...
The time trial with the flags is what pushed me over the edge because the game is just SO repetitive with its mission structure (Basically ever mission has you sneaking into a house of sorts to find intel or a target)
That by time i finished all of the story and socia lclub missions (which btw i agree, are my favorite missions in the game) I was jsut over it..
It was the final mission i needed to play for the all co op missions trophy.. i would get 14 flags and decync.. it kept crashing
Unity to me feels like it over stayed its welcome which is weird because ive put in the same if not more hours into all of the other games....
The co op missions are basically do the same repetitive thing, this time 4 times.. kind of like the paris story missions
Co op is like 5 hours worth of gaming itself.... drags on forever when you have no one to play with lol

Fatal-Feit
12-19-2014, 07:25 AM
On the PC, everyone plays the Tournament. Every time I boot up a random CO-OP mission, I dread that it'll launch, which it does about 70% of the time. Which is ironic because it's still the most broken mission on PC when you play with a group. A while back, someone even got a blue screen instead of a crash.

That said, I love the mission. It does a fantastic job of mixing social stealth, navigation, combat, and pure stealth into one mission. The setting is also beautiful. So much feels from walking dynamically into the stadium after completing the parkour challenge.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-19-2014, 07:42 AM
On the PC, everyone plays the Tournament. Every time I boot up a random CO-OP mission, I dread that it'll launch, which it does about 70% of the time. Which is ironic because it's still the most broken mission on PC when you play with a group. A while back, someone even got a blue screen instead of a crash.

That said, I love the mission. It does a fantastic job of mixing social stealth, navigation, combat, and pure stealth into one mission. The setting is also beautiful. So much feels from walking dynamically into the stadium after completing the parkour challenge.

I didnt even soak it in.. at that point i jsut wanted to rush through before it crashed lol
I do have horrible internet too.. i guess other people with NAT 3 dont like the tournament lol

HDinHB
12-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Your OP complained about not being able to get the MP trophy. You've completed it once, you know that's all you need for the trophy?

In general, I have a lot of fun playing the co-op, a lot more than I thought. It depends on who you play with, but still most of the time it's a blast.

LoyalACFan
12-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the new freerunning controls made the flag part a real pain the rear. The new style is focused more on fluidity than precision, which is great for 99% of the game, but it sucks when you need to aim for ONE spot specifically, i.e. in the flag race. The flags that hang on the main tower in the middle are by far the most annoying to get.

Anyway, I had to try it several times, but after about an hour of frustration, the time when I beat it I had literally a full 30 seconds left on the clock. So, it can be done solo, you just need to practice it and figure out the best routes.

HeJePi
12-19-2014, 01:21 PM
I am still trying to make it solo ... I've done all the others :D

But as 'LoyalACFan' wrote, the 'parkour' engine is made for fluidity and not precision.

I call this the 'climb on everything' syndrome ... especially when you hold R2 + X

The engine is only trying to anticipate / guess your next move and in this case, Arno is very difficult to 'handle' properly.

bitebug2003
12-19-2014, 01:53 PM
- Try dashing through a window if you aren't perfectly aligned and under tension (it's tricky enough normally)
- Over jumping and falling to your death is annoying.
- Trying to let go of the rope suspended between two buildings (despite 'drop' (O) being active).
- Descending onto everything below you when you just want to drop to the ground.

The missions wouldn't be as hard if the above worked as intended
There have been many times where I'm fighting with the platforming/parkour controls that simple don't do what I want/expect it to do

LoyalACFan
12-19-2014, 02:23 PM
- Try dashing through a window if you aren't perfectly aligned and under tension (it's tricky enough normally)
- Over jumping and falling to your death is annoying.
- Trying to let go of the rope suspended between two buildings (despite 'drop' (O) being active).
- Descending onto everything below you when you just want to drop to the ground.

The missions wouldn't be as hard if the above worked as intended
There have been many times where I'm fighting with the platforming/parkour controls that simple don't do what I want/expect it to do

Holding L2 + left stick will get you through windows from a hanging position. There's a little notification that tells you this, but if you have them turned off (like I do, AC has FAAAAAR too much UI clutter) it's easy to miss.

bitebug2003
12-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Holding L2 + left stick will get you through windows from a hanging position. There's a little notification that tells you this, but if you have them turned off (like I do, AC has FAAAAAR too much UI clutter) it's easy to miss.

I can usually get in without issue from a hanging position but approaching it from the side he tends to over-jump to the other side of the window despite holding the L2 + desired direction (I have notifications enabled)

HeJePi
12-19-2014, 02:48 PM
I hate windoze since win 3.1 in 1992 :D

Who never jump on the ledge of the Jackdaw when trying to run for the swivel gun in AC 4 ?

If you have a little time, try this: perform a ledge assassination and after the victim hits the ground, do not move right or left but try to climb over the ledge and stand where the victim was ...
You cannot !