PDA

View Full Version : Steam DLC sale

Ginfners
12-18-2014, 09:37 PM
So it's that time of year again, for the Steam Christmas sales. Might as well have a topic to discuss what DLC will be got.

Also to ask a question. Both during the Autumn sale today for the Christmas sale, song packs are 25% off while individual songs are 50%. That actually makes it cheaper to buy songs seperately, rather than get the pack, which seems bizarre. Before I get anything, it'd be interesting to hear if this is an error, or what the logic behind it might be. Would hate to get songs only to find the packs reduced further later (Aaahh, the student life, where every cent counts :p).

dm_gsxr
12-18-2014, 09:52 PM
I already have all the DLC. I have more money than sense. :D

Carl

TheJohnNewton
12-19-2014, 02:42 AM
Sadly the same selection of songs on sale as the last sale. I already have all of those I want. I guess it's play more Jimi and wait for the Summer sale.

DanAmrich
12-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Songs are cheaper than packs...for now. It's intentional, but it's only for a limited time, part of the daily deal.

Don't wait. Singles are not going to be 50% off for very long.

Side conversation about Steam sales, not intended as judgment on anyone who has posted here:

As a consumer, I love the Steam sales and I chase deals as hard as the next guy...but as someone at a publisher, I hate the mentality of "I cannot get this unless I am paying the absolute lowest possible mathematical price -- otherwise I'm getting ripped off." It becomes more about the price you paid than whatever enjoyment you'd get out of the software in question. I bought Ghostbusters the Video Game for $10 a week before it went down to $3, but I do not regret it at all. I want that game experience, you know? I don't have the collector mentality, buying games I might not actually play.

The bigger thing for me is then when the temporary deep-discount daily/flash sales end, there are complaints that the standard discount -- a discount of say, 25% off -- is insulting. I see this particular reaction a lot -- "33% off? 75% OR GTFO" is a real thing. My response has become "Well, don't worry -- it will be back to full price soon enough." I don't know where this attitude of "your sale insults me" comes from, but I don't like it at all. :(

stellios1712
12-19-2014, 04:10 AM
Warning: A bit off topic post follows!

Every now and then there are these Steam dlc sales which always manage to make me feel sort of depressed (sort of, as there are much bigger issues in everybody's life than the price of dlc - don't get me wrong).

Since I am a PS3 user and live in Greece/Europe I can't help but wonder whether we, as SCEE dependants, will ever witness a dlc sale on psn...I understand there are problems with SCEE (delays, ever-missing dlc, overpricing due to Euro etc) and my intention is not to bring them on the surface once again as I am tired of reading about them and the relative fightings.

This is just a couple of questions:

Dear Dan, is there any chance we will ever feel the joy of bying dlc cheaper?

Who determines the sales period and the pricing during it? Ubisoft or the other part (Microsoft, Sony, Steam)? Should we hope for such a phenomenon on the SCEE universe? :)

Thanks!

DanAmrich
12-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Since I am a PS3 user and live in Greece/Europe I can't help but wonder whether we, as SCEE dependants, will ever witness a dlc sale on psn.

If Sony and Ubisoft choose to put it on sale, sure. But that's nothing I have any insight into.

MarkAllan1963
12-19-2014, 05:38 AM
Songs are cheaper than packs...for now. It's intentional, but it's only for a limited time, part of the daily deal.

Don't wait. Singles are not going to be 50% off for very long.

Side conversation about Steam sales, not intended as judgment on anyone who has posted here:

As a consumer, I love the Steam sales and I chase deals as hard as the next guy...but as someone at a publisher, I hate the mentality of "I cannot get this unless I am paying the absolute lowest possible mathematical price -- otherwise I'm getting ripped off." It becomes more about the price you paid than whatever enjoyment you'd get out of the software in question. I bought Ghostbusters the Video Game for $10 a week before it went down to $3, but I do not regret it at all. I want that game experience, you know? I don't have the collector mentality, buying games I might not actually play.

The bigger thing for me is then when the temporary deep-discount daily/flash sales end, there are complaints that the standard discount -- a discount of say, 25% off -- is insulting. I see this particular reaction a lot -- "33% off? 75% OR GTFO" is a real thing. My response has become "Well, don't worry -- it will be back to full price soon enough." I don't know where this attitude of "your sale insults me" comes from, but I don't like it at all. :(

I have bought DLC both regular and on sale but when I see a sale I have to hold back and think. Will I use this item, do I really need this item? buying something just because it is on sale does not work for me if I can manage keep my disciplined thoughts in mind. Before I found Rocksmith I was trying to learn guitar by downloading youtube videos on lessons and songs tutorials. It was free but because it was free I actually started spending more time going through youtube videos and downloading them and saving them. I ended up with a mass collection of videos but with no progress in my guitar playing skills! I found most youtube videos were by people that had good skills playing but not so much skills in teaching. Some were great and I learned some skills from but the majority are sitting on my hard drive and I got nothing from them.

Rocksmith on the other hand got me playing and kept me playing and I really enjoy it. I bought a couple of DLC's and that help because I got some songs I thought I could play and it has worked out for me. I read here that for beginners some of RS1 CD songs are better for the beginner and I wanted another cable for multy playing so I got that and I found that some of the songs on RS1 are music I really did not know the playing of then was great for me and my enjoyment has increased with the importing of those songs!! Then the sales came and I find myself trying not to spend Too much time on steam shopping when I really should be playing!! Having a lot of un-played DLC in my menu is not what I need/want I have to remind myself my objective is to improve my playing not my DLC collection.

as_uninvited
12-19-2014, 06:35 AM
I don't know where this attitude of "your sale insults me" comes from, but I don't like it at all. :(

Amazon. Internet. SlickDeals. Consumer reports. Pick your poison.

As a retail sales person for the last 20 years, I feel your pain. Purchases based on the absolute lowest price is now the norm in our society. I can be as professional as possible. Offer more expertise and education on their purchase than the fellow down the road ... but their simply looking for the lowest price. It is what it is. I don't take it personal. I'm also a consumer. I like deals and saving money when possible.

When it comes to Steam deals, I think they're great!!! I've been introduced to many a game that I would not have bought without the discount. And I loved them. As for RS, I buy the songs/packs I like when they're released. but for those where I'm on the fence, it's a perfect time for me to jump on them. Half of my DLC collection is probably from Steam sales. And they're probably the ones I play the least! But I've never been too upset that a song I bought today, is 25% less the next day. But I'm also in a position where I can afford it either way. Many aren't. Especially the younger contingent.

Wavey_Dave_76
12-19-2014, 11:16 AM
@Stellios ...I suspect that is a dream that will just never happen. I am in the UK and I really get fed up by repeatedly seeing the deals that are everywhere in the US. Maybe not so much PSN but I have been looking round for a decent deal to re-buy RS2014 on the PS4 and so far in the past few weeks I have seen it on sale twice in amazon in the US, plus being available from plenty of other sources. We know PSN rips it's customers off, especially in Europe/Australia, and there is just no chance of a fair price on the digital download, but with seemingly the only place you can buy it in this country being amazon, we are screwed. I got all excited when someone mentioned it was half price in amazon on the stream last night, only to find it doesn't count for us (again!).

@Dan ...Completely agree. I can't understand the hostility. At the end of the day, if you miss a sale, you just get over it. Having said that, I think perhaps it does work a bit different with DLC, because there is so much that people can be playing in the meantime, they are perhaps less likely to be driven by something that they simply have to have right there and then. I think I would be likely to got on spending sprees during sales if PSN ever had any. Might even find myself buying more than I would normally if that happened (not that that's in any way a hint lol). In this case though, he knows what he wants, knows how much he has to spend, and just wants to time it to make sure he gets the best value for money. I can't fault the guy for trying to do his research first.

tomlemort
12-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Well, another sales I will pass because I would like to buy some DLCs but it requires RS1. And I won't pay $7 for RS1 because I'm only interested in 1, maybe 2 songs in the first game.

Is there a way to FINALLy sort this out?

Thanks,

Merry Christmas

RokDog007
12-19-2014, 01:41 PM
I purchased a few songs
Slash...........Back from Cali
Billy Talent...Fallen Leaves
Green Day....American Idiot

daddy_felix
12-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Well, another sales I will pass because I would like to buy some DLCs but it requires RS1. And I won't pay $7 for RS1 because I'm only interested in 1, maybe 2 songs in the first game.

In how many RS1 dlcs are you interested (assuming your "1, maybe 2" refers to on-disc songs)? if there are more than five, you should really buy rs1 - during the sale, rs1 + 5 songs is almost the same (~15) as buying five songs without sale.

btw, the problem is solved for several songs, but no for all.

MarkAllan1963
12-19-2014, 02:57 PM

Is there a way to FINALLy sort this out?

Thanks,

Merry Christmas

I also looked at RS1 and only saw a couple of songs that I thought I wanted at the time. Since buying it I have found that there are several songs that fit my skill level and I have found that there are different types of songs. One that I like the listen to but I have trouble playing which I am working hard at improving so in the future I can play. The second are one that I am not familiar with and would not stop my day to sit down and listen too BUT! are fun to play! Playing these improves my skill level more in my opinion than trying to play the ones I like but are too high above my level at this time. My advice is to reconsider and give RS1 CD songs a chance remember we are talking about $7.00

stray75
12-19-2014, 03:00 PM
I also looked at RS1 and only saw a couple of songs that I thought I wanted at the time. Since buying it I have found that there are several songs that fit my skill level and I have found that there are different types of songs. One that I like the listen to but I have trouble playing which I am working hard at improving so in the future I can play. The second are one that I am not familiar with and would not stop my day to sit down and listen too BUT! are fun to play! Playing these improves my skill level more in my opinion than trying to play the ones I like but are too high above my level at this time. My advice is to reconsider and give RS1 CD songs a chance remember we are talking about $7.00

One of the coolest things I've found about Rocksmith (original & 2014) is that it exposes you to music you might not otherwise have come across or known that you'd like. It's happened to me over and over and over again.

Crack open the wallet and enjoy!

TheJohnNewton
12-19-2014, 03:11 PM

Along similar lines, something that always has my eyes rolling, when an item goes on sale and those who bough it at full price somehow then feel ripped off. Or a good recent example when you offered the Jimi incentive to next gen users all the whining from other platform owners. I don't envy your job at those times (at other times I envy it a lot.)

As far as DLC goes I have two categories 1) Must have NOW! 2) Will get in the next Steam sale. Often items on list two slip in to list one before the sale comes along, lol.

randomas
12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
As a euro PS3 user I have a PC install as backup for both "wife has remote" and "Oh bother that dlc is not up" issues. To me Steam sales are great cause I can catch up and sometimes surpass my PS3 dlc collection, and really appreciate them cause the cost of buying all DLC twice would make me quarrel with the missus.

Deciding whether to get Jimi, RATM or lots of other discounted tracks is quite the nailbiter.

BTW wich alterbridge track would you advise if it were just the one?

futile67
12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
as far as dlc goes i have two categories 1) must have now! 2) will get in the next steam sale. Often items on list two slip in to list one before the sale comes along, lol.

+1 lol

futile67
12-19-2014, 03:23 PM
BTW wich alterbridge track would you advise if it were just the one?

Definitely Blackbird

SH-elx
12-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Definitely Blackbird

Seconding Blackbird, Ties that Bind would be my second choice though.

randomas
12-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Ok blackbird it is then. Thanks! :)

jaq-b
12-19-2014, 05:49 PM
Never heard any Alter Bridge song before, just checked Blackbird on youtube and bought dlc immediately :D

Ginfners
12-19-2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the response, Dan. I don't post here much, in part because you're very quick to respond with helpful information, so don't feel the need to ask anything. So thanks again.

As for why the percentage of matters to me? Just simple maths, I'm afraid. I'm a three category guy: 1) Instant buy, 2) Sale buy, and 3) No interest. Greater the sale, the more I can tick off from the second category. Plus I just prefer getting packs in general because it irks me slightly when I buy the singles seperately, but the pack is still listed as unpurchased on Steam. For a split second I think I've overlooked something I'll really enjoy haha.

As for what I'll get, I still have to get Pantera so I'll get those three for sure.

chris60119
12-19-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm not seeing these sales in the PS store...:confused:

Ok I googled rocksmith steam and found the sales, but how does Steam work? Do I buy the songs and then get a code for each? I'm not sure whats going to happen or how it works..

daddy_felix
12-19-2014, 07:32 PM
steam is pc only

chris60119
12-19-2014, 07:34 PM
steam is pc only

That sucks

Danny-Ramone
12-19-2014, 07:35 PM
steam is pc only

PC (Windows) and Mac to be precise :)

pedietz
12-19-2014, 10:31 PM
We're pretty fortunate DLC goes on sale on Steam.
It doesn't have too.
It could be just the game only.

Captainoffun22
12-19-2014, 10:50 PM
I hope I don't buy lots of dlc
and then when there is only like 5 hours
they put everything to 75% off
like they did last time
when everything was 25% off
and then on the last day I can't remember when they did this
but it went to 50% off

infocat1
12-20-2014, 05:26 AM
Got all of these:

Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Tighten Up
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Boston - More Than a Feeling
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Mind Eraser
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on the Bayou
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Just Got To Be
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Santana - Oye Como Va
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Santana - Black Magic Woman
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Chic - Good Times
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Rick James - Super Freak
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Parliament - Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off Sucker)
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Rush - Headlong Flight
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - London Calling - The Clash
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Clash - Guns of Brixton
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Strokes - Last Nite
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Strokes - Juicebox
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Santana featuring Rob Thomas - Smooth
1.49 USD

Subtotal:
29.80 USD

Pretty good deal, I'd say!

Captainoffun22
12-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Got all of these:

Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Tighten Up
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Boston - More Than a Feeling
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Mind Eraser
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Gold on the Ceiling
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Born on the Bayou
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Black Keys - Just Got To Be
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Santana - Oye Como Va
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Santana - Black Magic Woman
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Chic - Good Times
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Rick James - Super Freak
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Parliament - Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off Sucker)
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Rush - Headlong Flight
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - London Calling - The Clash
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Clash - Guns of Brixton
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Strokes - Last Nite
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - The Strokes - Juicebox
1.49 USD
Rocksmith - Santana featuring Rob Thomas - Smooth
1.49 USD

Subtotal:
29.80 USD

Pretty good deal, I'd say!

This may be a bad question
but how much is dlc for you?
not the sale price
for me it's $3
but the price for the what you said is not the same as mine

infocat1
12-20-2014, 07:20 AM
This may be a bad question
but how much is dlc for you?
not the sale price
for me it's $3
but the price for the what you said is not the same as mineThis was the sale price (50% off). Normal price is $2.99.

Captainoffun22
12-20-2014, 08:05 AM
This was the sale price (50% off). Normal price is $2.99.

The songs on that list are $1.73 USD
for me the Old Rocksmith songs are $3.50 USD
I have no idea

armoury_R1
12-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Any idea how long the sale is on for? Although I suppose regardless, I should just get cracking and buy...

I am usually on PS3, have bought both RS1 and RS2014 on sale from Steam but couldn't get RS1 to run on my MacBookPro via Bootcamp/Windows, and still can't get RS2014 to run on the Mac but that's because the OSX version I have is too old; once I upgrade that I should be good to go. And therefore so far I haven't bought any Steam DLC at all. Might be nice to have a few favourite DLCs available on the laptop as well.

daddy_felix
12-20-2014, 01:54 PM
the super sale ends in a couple of hours. The 25% for packs remain until 02.01.2015. I guess songs will be 25% off as well when the "super sale" ends

Captainoffun22
12-20-2014, 02:12 PM
the super sale ends in a couple of hours. The 25% for packs remain until 02.01.2015. I guess songs will be 25% off as well when the "super sale" ends

I hope they go 75% off when there is like only like 1 hour or 3 hours
as that was go

fjonk78
12-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Ugh, just spent about €30 on DLC this sale, as well as having spent that much on the last sale a few weeks ago.
I think I'm only missing around 50 DLC songs now, and they are mostly ones that I'll never be able to play properly (Pantera, Iron Maiden, Lamb of God).

I probably would never have bought these songs at full price, but at 1.49 I feel it's worth the gamble. If a new DLC is out that I want (e.g. RATM) I'll buy it at full price when it's released.

Captainoffun22
12-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Ugh, just spent about €30 on DLC this sale, as well as having spent that much on the last sale a few weeks ago.
I think I'm only missing around 50 DLC songs now, and they are mostly ones that I'll never be able to play properly (Pantera, Iron Maiden, Lamb of God).

I probably would never have bought these songs at full price, but at 1.49 I feel it's worth the gamble. If a new DLC is out that I want (e.g. RATM) I'll buy it at full price when it's released.
I think you should buy the songs that are hard
and set the difficulty low
and just have fun with the song

ObscuredByCows
12-20-2014, 03:32 PM

I bought the remaining 74 tracks on sale that I didn't already have for Just under 90, I intend to make you very busy in the Bass FC thread in the not too distant future :p

fjonk78
12-20-2014, 03:41 PM
I bought the remaining 74 tracks on sale that I didn't already have for Just under 90, I intend to make you very busy in the Bass FC thread in the not too distant future :p

Wow, so you now have all 500+ songs?

I'll be spending Christmas in the exciting metropolis of Kansas City without my bass so I'll be taking a bit of a break. I'm sure I'll have a large update to make once I get back!

ObscuredByCows
12-20-2014, 03:44 PM
For reference to anybody asking about prices dropping again you can look up the pricing history of games and DLC on steam at steamprices.com where you will see that these are the lowest prices for Rocksmith 2014 DLC to date.

Also in general the way steam sales work is there is a discounted sale price for the duration of the sale period (to 2nd Jan) and then certain games dlc will be reduced further for a limited time if they are on the featured deals before going back up to the discounted sale price for this sale. Its possible for the price to come back down again if the game is on a Community vote of a flash deal or maybe even the best selling games selection that usually happens on the last day but at any point it only ever comes back down to the same price as the featured deal discount.

In other words you currently have 3 hrs 15 mins left to buy at these prices which are almost certainly the lowest they will get this sale. If you wait its possible they will drop again but they wont get any cheaper than they are now so buy now if you are going to.

ObscuredByCows
12-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Wow, so you now have all 500+ songs?

I'll be spending Christmas in the exciting metropolis of Kansas City without my bass so I'll be taking a bit of a break. I'm sure I'll have a large update to make once I get back!

I don't have all songs only the ones that are on sale at the moment and 4 or 5 selected packs I have bought or won which are still full price. Theres a lot I have bought that wont get played much tbh so I only buy it when its on the sale, once the rest drops in the next sale I'll

Can't stop humming follow the yellow brick road now :D Enjoy your trip

fjonk78
12-20-2014, 03:49 PM
I think you should buy the songs that are hard
and set the difficulty low
and just have fun with the song

For me there are hard songs that are fun and challenging, such as Rush and Allman Brothers, and there are hard songs that are just frustrating to play, such as Lamb of God and Pantera. Maybe when the next Steam sale is on I'll feel the need to get these songs!

exolstice
12-23-2014, 04:37 PM
For me there are hard songs that are fun and challenging, such as Rush and Allman Brothers, and there are hard songs that are just frustrating to play, such as Lamb of God and Pantera. Maybe when the next Steam sale is on I'll feel the need to get these songs!

Walk by Pantera is moderately difficult and fun to play. Certainly easier than any of the Rush songs.

Wavey_Dave_76
12-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Oh my god those rush songs have completely put me off attempting any prog rock tracks any time soon! I just could not make sense of them. There are a couple I would love to play but the weird timings messed with my head. I plan on going back to them in maybe a couple of years lol

Certainly not for the feint hearted (or perhaps just not for the inept guitarists like me)