PDA

View Full Version : Free Game ToS looks harsh or just me?

Grimmycakes
12-18-2014, 07:14 PM
So.. I was going through Ubisoft's ToS in order to get the free game. Im going to state right now that my knowledge on law is limited. But after reading it, I do have some red flags being raised in my mind.

From my understanding, the ToS is stating that this applies to myself, my heirs and my next of kin.. Seriously? My children are bound to this because I signed something.. Yeah Im not so sure about that...

Then to make things even more WATWATWAT.. From my understanding, the ToS is stating that I cannot complain, expect any form of compensation for any future releases from Ubisoft should their content be of poor quality, among sueing them. The sueing part is normal for me to see. But if I read right, Im basically giving away my rights to complain about a poor product and be given any form of compensation for it.

Or is it simply referring to the Assassin's Creed Unity game and it's content?

Here is a pastebin of the ToS.

http://pastebin.com/SQNzvVij

D.I.D.
12-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt they can hold anyone to this, let alone people who did not have a hand in the agreement. Take your free game. You'll probably never have to sue a games company, but if you ever had to sue Ubisoft then you, your children, and your cat's children should go ahead and do it anyway, and challenge Ubisoft to dare to use such a ridiculous scrap against you.

It's yet another stupid move by Ubisoft, just at the point where people were in agreement that they'd turned a corner in customer relations. Defeat swiped from the jaws of victory as usual.

Way to sour a good thing, Ubisoft.

Grimmycakes
12-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt they can hold anyone to this, let alone people who did not have a hand in the agreement. Take your free game. You'll probably never have to sue a games company, but if you ever had to sue Ubisoft then you, your children, and your cat's children should go ahead and do it anyway, and challenge Ubisoft to dare to use such a ridiculous scrap against you.

It's yet another stupid move by Ubisoft, just at the point where people were in agreement that they'd turned a corner in customer relations. Defeat swiped from the jaws of victory as usual.

Way to sour a good thing, Ubisoft.

Yeah. I've no interest in sueing Ubisoft. But yeah. Getting real tired of things like this. But I know Ubisoft will never win my respect or trust back sadly. Same with EA.

AKM_44rdv4rk
12-18-2014, 07:51 PM
compensation for an admitted failure is frequently paired with a release from liability.

D.I.D.
12-18-2014, 08:35 PM
compensation for an admitted failure is frequently paired with a release from liability.

From further liability in that particular matter, yes. Not against future generations in case Assassin's Creed XXVII causes brain damage via Oculus Rift v15.

AKM_44rdv4rk
12-18-2014, 08:44 PM
From further liability in that particular matter, yes. Not against future generations in case Assassin's Creed XXVII causes brain damage via Oculus Rift v15.

heck, I'd pay extra for that!

You hereby irrevocably and unconditionally RELEASE, WAIVE, AND FOREVER DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE Ubisoft Entertainment S.A., and each of its past, present and future divisions, parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, predecessors, successors and assigns, together with all of their respective past, present and future employees, officers, shareholders, directors and agents, and those who give recommendations, directions, or instructions or engage in risk evaluation or loss control activities regarding the Campaign (all for the purposes herein referred to as “Released Parties”) FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY TO YOU, your assigns, heirs, and next of kin FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, CHARGES, LAWSUITS, DEBTS, DEFENSES, ACTIONS OR CAUSES OF ACTION, OBLIGATIONS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF SERVICE, COMPENSATION, PAIN AND SUFFERING, ATTORNEYS’ FEES, AND COST AND EXPENSES OF SUIT, KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED OR UNSUSPECTED, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE PURCHASE, ACQUISITION, RENTAL, POSSESSION AND/OR USAGE, AND/OR THE INTENT TO PURCHASE, ACQUIRE, RENT, POSSESS AND/OR USE, THE ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY VIDEO GAME AND/OR THE ASSASSIN’S CREED UNITY SEASON PASS ON ANY AND ALL PLATFORMS, AND/OR RELATED TO THE CAMPAIGN, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASED PARTIES OR OTHERWISE.

Marcus101RR
12-19-2014, 03:07 AM
The internet is a powerful place, last I heard, no one has to pay a dime for games anyway, by any means...NECESSARY! I've been doing it for a while, especially for reasons like this!

jeffies04
12-19-2014, 04:37 AM
It's pretty much negating your ability to sue or demand further compensation over Unity... but I don't see anything mentioned about future releases. It specifically references Unity.

It's actually not that uncommon of a clause. Airlines will make you agree to something similar if you accept a free ticket because of a bad experience. (I work for one)