PDA

View Full Version : Why the short story?

SneakyCharlie
12-17-2014, 05:58 PM
I noticed that while playing the game, sequences are incredibly short with only 2 or 3 missions per sequence. I remember that AC2 had 90+ storyline missions and even Black Flag had 40+. Are ubisoft getting lazy ?

JustPlainQuirky
12-17-2014, 06:34 PM
I guess Ubi is trying to keep the narrative straight and to the point.

This worked really well in Rogue.

HOWEVER this only worked because Rogue was based on pre-established characters and settings. The audience already knew a chunk about the characters and elements they needed to know.

In the case of Unity, it doesn't work because Unity is establishing an entirely new location and new set of characters/situation.

This is why longer sequences are necessary. People complained about it in AC3, but it really did add to the story and make it feel more complete/developed in contrast to Unity's severely underdeveloped characters.

Hence why Haytham is so well received.

king-hailz
12-17-2014, 06:36 PM
With the amount of missions per sequence for unity there should have been 30 sequences.... It should have been a long story but it was shshort and bland.

Aphex_Tim
12-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm thinking it's because Arno's story has nothing to do with the setting and Ubi didn't want him to go Forrest Gumping through the French Revolution as Connor did through the American Revolution. Instead, Arno's story is focused on JUST his story and all the side content focuses on the setting. Unity's side content is more expansive than ever. You could almost see the co-op missions as a separate story about the Assassin's influence in the Revolution (if you play them in order, that is). They even have intro cutscenes and the missions themselves are quite large. Then there's also the bazillion Paris Stories, Murder Mysteries, Social Club Missions, etc. and these all tie into the setting.

So yes, Arno's story is rather short but add the story of Paris during the Revolution to that and you still have an insanely huge game.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-17-2014, 07:06 PM
I noticed that while playing the game, sequences are incredibly short with only 2 or 3 missions per sequence. I remember that AC2 had 90+ storyline missions and even Black Flag had 40+. Are ubisoft getting lazy ?

Ubisoft forced the game out too early, so, in order to meet the unreasonable deadline, the developers (rather than take a stand for quality) cut the story back as much as possible, because cutscenes and complex story missions take time to code. Then they filled out the game with side missions that take a minimum of programming time (these don't need cutscenes, so it's basically just a matter of placing guards, loot and assassination targets). Then they hoped we wouldn't notice the drop in quality. Most of us did notice, some of the less discriminating amongst us didn't.

Jackdaw951
12-17-2014, 07:47 PM
I was surprised how quickly each sequence gets completed. This was most notable during the weird Sequence 11. I was just about to turn the game off for the night after completing 10, when I decided to do the low-difficulty briefing leading off 11. Mistake. I hate to quit when I'm restricted to just the task at hand. I want to be able to go anywhere I want with my full capabilities. So I kept playing, hoping for a break somewhere. Then suddenly, it was all over. I thought there'd be more to 11 later on, but no. The sequence is all a one-shot deal. I was surprised to see Sequence 12 as next.

I enjoyed what there was. But without all the character development and side distractions, there wouldn't be nearly enough here for a whole game.

Megas_Doux
12-17-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking it's because Arno's story has nothing to do with the setting and Ubi didn't want him to go Forrest Gumping through the French Revolution as Connor did through the American Revolution. Instead, Arno's story is focused on JUST his story and all the side content focuses on the setting. Unity's side content is more expansive than ever. You could almost see the co-op missions as a separate story about the Assassin's influence in the Revolution (if you play them in order, that is). They even have intro cutscenes and the missions themselves are quite large. Then there's also the bazillion Paris Stories, Murder Mysteries, Social Club Missions, etc. and these all tie into the setting.

So yes, Arno's story is rather short but add the story of Paris during the Revolution to that and you still have an insanely huge game.

This!

There is also the fact that annualization make writers run out of stories this trend of games every year NEEDS to stop!!!!! What I really miss though is an engaging love story ala AC II for sure........

PD That last part was a joke so one of the most idiotic things Ive read here recently :p