PDA

View Full Version : Can you still sit on benches, etc, in Unity?

ecocrash
12-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Very quick question, have they removed the ability to sit down on benches, etc?, as part of the A/C experience I often used to just sit down and take the world in, this is even more worthwhile now there are such exciting crowd scenes and interesting AI/NPC behaviour in ACU.

rrebe
12-16-2014, 01:10 PM
You'll be able to sit once you've purchased the skill for it (environmental blending was it?). You get the skill points to buy those by playing story and coop missions.

shobhit7777777
12-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Sitting on a bench is a skill.....

-__-

KPRage
12-16-2014, 02:16 PM
You'll be able to sit once you've purchased the skill for it (environmental blending was it?). You get the skill points to buy those by playing story and coop missions.

Which is freaking ridiculous in the first place. It breaks the Creed's first tenant.

If Ezio learned it from courtesans, Arno shouldn't have needed to "buy" the damn skill.

king-hailz
12-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Sitting on a bench is a skill.....

-__-

Yes arno needs to learn to sit on a bench... but has been able to fly across the rooftops and assassinate people with ease...

HeJePi
12-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Yes arno needs to learn to sit on a bench... but has been able to fly across the rooftops and assassinate people with ease...
Yeah true ... when you learn how to sit on a bench ... you also learn how to lean against the wall in between 2 NPC (as in AC3) !

That is one of the so many little stupid things that make that game somewhat ridiculous !

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Arno: Ah man a bench. I don't think I'm ready for this yet

Arno: *inhales* I can do this

Arno: *positions booty infront of bench*

Arno: *misses bench and collapses on ground*

Arno: ah ****

Aphex_Tim
12-16-2014, 05:34 PM
You could consider this one unlocked from the get-go. Once the skill set is introduced early in the game, It's one of the only ones you can start off with and it costs just 1 point.
But yeah, it is a little silly. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 05:38 PM
It's one of the last skills I got that was under 10 creed points

(didnt notice it)

so yeah it was pretty funny

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 06:33 PM
It's the silliest skill; the next silliest is the skill to throw a purse of coins.

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 06:38 PM
It's a trade-off. I don't want to have to meet a character who wastes my time teaching me how to sit on benches, steal, blend and every other thing either. Unlocks might be a bit odd-looking, but at least they take out the training sections that the old games had to put you through. They weren't much fun for new players, and even less so for returning players.

Aphex_Tim
12-16-2014, 06:41 PM
It's the silliest skill; the next silliest is the skill to throw a purse of coins.

Parting with a purse of money is not as easy as it sounds!

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 06:44 PM
^ good point.

Though you get them in packages -- it's not like he's throwing away from his own purse. I mean, he can collect/buy purses to throw.

... and no one knows what's inside them. Maybe it's gold-foil covered chocolate?

Whereas Ezio would inseminate the ground freely, in his generosity.

Aphex_Tim
12-16-2014, 06:48 PM
This reminds me, I like how the environmental blending skill also has Arno crouch between the civilians, "looking for money" once you toss a coin purse. Makes for good opportunities to attract guards and then kill them while remaining blended.

Whereas Ezio would inseminate the ground freely, in his generosity.

Except in Revelations, which has Ezio's stingy old *** creating purses with fake coins, fooling the people.
Apparently he forgot to work on his retirement plan...

bitebug2003
12-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Money Money!, the easy way! Gold, Gold! va bene! :)

That always made me laugh lol -- more so in Brotherhood :)

I miss the beggars and the singer who would come right up into Ezio's face :(

Altair1789
12-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Here you go, Arno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-EY-bsjHys

EmbodyingSeven5
12-17-2014, 02:28 AM

this sounds reminiscent of Risen in which you need a man to train you in the art of kicking......

SixKeys
12-17-2014, 03:15 AM
I don't think it's as silly as people are making it out to be. think about it: part of training to become an assassin is about learning unconventional ways to blend in. If you were being chased by cops, how many of you would think to sit down on a bench and just calmly let the pursuers pass? How many would think to throw money on the street to create a distraction? I'm pretty sure most regular people would just panic and forget all about subtlety. It makes sense that Arno actually has to learn that benches can be used to hide in plain sight.

wvstolzing
12-17-2014, 06:56 AM
^^ sure, except that he already knows how to 'blend in, in plain sight', without any training, by walking into, or standing right next to crowds of people.

It's only 'standing or sitting between exactly two conveniently arranged bodies' that he has to spend skill points in order to learn.

Not to mention: Why couldn't that knowledge be part of his basic, essential training, which also taught him how to use the hidden blade?

HDinHB
12-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Arno can also sit on a chair--exactly one chair, in his bedroom. I think he is the first Assassin able to do this. I always thought it would be nice, after a long day of stabbing, to just take a load off in a nice comfy chair.

SixKeys
12-17-2014, 04:00 PM
^^ sure, except that he already knows how to 'blend in, in plain sight', without any training, by walking into, or standing right next to crowds of people.

It's only 'standing or sitting between exactly two conveniently arranged bodies' that he has to spend skill points in order to learn.

Not to mention: Why couldn't that knowledge be part of his basic, essential training, which also taught him how to use the hidden blade?

Blending in crowds isn't exactly a skill only an assassin would think of. It's the first thing any normal person would think of when chased by someone. Just pull your hoodie down, find a large group of people in a shopping mall or something and hope your pursuers didn't spot you. It takes balls to just sit on a bench out in the open and have confidence that your pursuers are too stupid to look there. That was also the basis of Ezio's courtesan "blending": be so overt it's covert. He needed training to come to that conclusion too. On the flipside, it doesn't make sense that someone like Edward would know how to do it without having trained for it.

HeJePi
12-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Nope, it is not a skill ... it is a challenge for Initiates.
You have to throw at least 500 purses around to gain XP

And you cannot imagine how many hours I spent jumping over / sliding under obstacles ...

Then my wife is asking me: "You spent 60 bux for that game ?" with a big sarcastic smile on her face :D

I feel so ashamed :(

shobhit7777777
12-18-2014, 08:01 AM
I don't think it's as silly as people are making it out to be. think about it: part of training to become an assassin is about learning unconventional ways to blend in. If you were being chased by cops, how many of you would think to sit down on a bench and just calmly let the pursuers pass? How many would think to throw money on the street to create a distraction? I'm pretty sure most regular people would just panic and forget all about subtlety. It makes sense that Arno actually has to learn that benches can be used to hide in plain sight.

ANYONE!

Any intelligent person would think of those things (Although most of them might not even work)
Blending in is as much about instinct and intelligence as it is about training.

Urban surveillance and counter-surveillance does had nuances learned through extensive training but overall it requires a certain mindset, awareness and smarts.....a game simply cannot simulate all of that....it can only approach an approximation bordering on the cartoonish.

Its ****ing stupid to think that Arno - a street smart, urban lad - would need to learn about sitting on benches to blend in. In AC2 it somehow felt OK because of the way it was presented and also because it was a new mechanic.