PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft, please remove the feathers from hoods in Unity

Jish_01
12-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Im fully aware that probably nothing will come of this, but I felt the need to make a thread anyway.
My favourite hoods in unity are with the side capes, and all the good ones either have a mask or a feather! My favourite is the legendary musketeer hood, well it would be if it wasn't for that massive feather on top. Not very assassin-like at all.
Rant over :p. Hope people agree and by the 1 in a million chance Ubisoft sees this.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Are you kidding? That over-the-top look is the only reason to even get the legendary gear.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 07:24 AM
feathers on hoods

0/10

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-16-2014, 07:26 AM
feathers on hoods

0/10

ign: too much feathers 7.8/10

kimpet01
12-16-2014, 08:44 AM
http://media.archonia.com/images/items/17/14/111714.jpg

king-hailz
12-16-2014, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't mind feathers like connors tokw hood but not the ones in unity... and to be honest I found it hard to make an outfit that I liked... There was always something that I didn't like about the 200 pieces.. lol... anyways my main problem is the colours... They are always such ugly matches of colours... They should give us like a full colour spectrum to choose from... and also for each of the sections... It was also so annoying that you have to unlock different colours like black is 100 cockades so I ended spending the entire Game in a colour I didn't like because I collecting cockades got boring...

rrebe
12-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Remove feathers? There's feathers in maybe two hoods out of what, 30? Don't like hoods with feathers, don't equip them.
I remember seeing NPC's with huge feathers on their hats on the streets (I think they were feat, so I think a feather hood will fit right in :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind feathers like connors tokw hood but not the ones in unity... and to be honest I found it hard to make an outfit that I liked... There was always something that I didn't like about the 200 pieces.. lol... anyways my main problem is the colours... They are always such ugly matches of colours... They should give us like a full colour spectrum to choose from... and also for each of the sections... It was also so annoying that you have to unlock different colours like black is 100 cockades so I ended spending the entire Game in a colour I didn't like because I collecting cockades got boring...

I collected the 100 as soon as I was able to, and I had the black colour unlocked by the time I reached the half point of the game. But it was worth it, that colour looks the best ;)

LUR21
12-16-2014, 10:58 AM
While I do agree 100% (musketeer is my favourite as well) it will never happen. It was the same as the fur on Brutus armour in brotherhood and the mask on the Turkish armour in revelations.

Rafe Harwood
12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
21st century fashion in 18th century France? Yer, perhaps not ;)

Musketeers have always had feathers. Even Dogtanian!

EscoBlades
12-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Adorning headdress with feathers was pretty common at the time ;)

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Adorning headdress with feathers was pretty common at the time ;)

Much less common than a century earlier, and the feathers that were worn in the 1790s were small, and worn on hats, not hoods (unless you were a character in a play). But what's really anachronistic for a guy in the 1790s is the hood. It makes Arno look positively effeminate. It gives "Arno the gay blade" a whole different meaning.

Megas_Doux
12-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Much less common than a century earlier, and the feathers that were worn in the 1790s were small, and worn on hats, not hoods (unless you were a character in a play). But what's really anachronistic for a guy in the 1790s is the hood. It makes Arno look positively effeminate. It gives "Arno the gay blade" a whole different meaning.

The last part of your post is just wow......

The point of Unity´s customization and the reason I enjoy it so much is the fact that it allows you to create outfits that range from the middle ages, XVII century to more contemporary ones of the later years of 1700´s, both "poor" and upper class alike......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Mousquetaires_du_roi.jpg

When I wear the medieval ones I use either halberds or heavy swords or if I go with the XVII ones then I pick rapiers for example.... I enjoy that "roleplay" immensely.

Aphex_Tim
12-16-2014, 05:37 PM
I like to make it my mission to look as ridiculous as possible when starting a co-op session. The feathers, masks and purple color schemes make this possible! Please don't remove it!

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I like to make it my mission to look as ridiculous as possible when starting a co-op session. The feathers, masks and purple color schemes make this possible! Please don't remove it!

People want the stats, but they aren't willing to be fabulous to get them. One doesn't deserve to have the things that one did not earn, I say.

(If this game is missing anything, it really needed an unlockable "Purple Rain"-era Prince skin.)

EscoBlades
12-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Would you believe me if i told you i have set outfits and colour schemes for certain missions?

The fancy feathers and purple gear come out for the Paris stories :o

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 07:23 PM

This is why I despise multiplayer. Some people just love to ruin immersion for everyone else.

Aphex_Tim
12-16-2014, 07:31 PM
I gave up immersion in co-op long ago. At least when playing with randoms. When you're not playing with people you know, it usually takes about 8 seconds for sh(t to hit the fan after the intro cutscene.

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 09:06 PM
This is why I despise multiplayer. Some people just love to ruin immersion for everyone else.

Generally speaking I'd agree that we ought to be less showy in the role, but these are special circumstances. This is a time when pistachio silk suits were the height of Parisian fashion for any young man who could afford them, alongside bright mustard yellow suits with black pinstripes.

One of the most respected generals of Napoleon's army looked like this during the revolution:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Jean-Baptiste_Milhaud_IMG_2318.JPG/1024px-Jean-Baptiste_Milhaud_IMG_2318.JPG

I don't know what immersion you're after, but the gaudy options have their place just like the Sans-Cullottes styles of the working class.

Altair1789
12-16-2014, 09:17 PM
21st century fashion in 18th century France? Yer, perhaps not ;)

Musketeers have always had feathers. Even Dogtanian!

British accents and slangs in France ;)

Same, I can't wait for the Dead Kings DLC so I can add that jeweled staff to my outfit

EmbodyingSeven5
12-17-2014, 02:36 AM
Remove feathers? There's feathers in maybe two hoods out of what, 30? Don't like hoods with feathers, don't equip them.
I remember seeing NPC's with huge feathers on their hats on the streets (I think they were feat, so I think a feather hood will fit right in :rolleyes:

I collected the 100 as soon as I was able to, and I had the black colour unlocked by the time I reached the half point of the game. But it was worth it, that colour looks the best ;)

that's biased because your an assassin turkey who just wants his feathers to be in a game!!!!!!!!!!

SixKeys
12-17-2014, 03:11 AM

Effeminate looking men in 1700's Paris? Why I never! :rolleyes:

http://www.lacma.org/sites/default/files/styles/Exhibition_Highlighted_Object_Popup/public/feature2.jpg?itok=CKxlE14L

D.I.D.
12-17-2014, 03:43 AM
Effeminate looking men in 1700's Paris? Why I never! :rolleyes:

http://www.lacma.org/sites/default/files/styles/Exhibition_Highlighted_Object_Popup/public/feature2.jpg?itok=CKxlE14L

That's the one!

I've seen so many people pulling their historical knowledge out of the air over the colour choices in Unity without considering how specific they are. That pistachio turquoise is not some random choice, and the powerful mustard yellows are not anachronistic. In fact, it was the comparatively soft colours which were the ones for the young men - the older, respectable types were more likely to be seen in that blazing mustard shade. Fashion magazines were avidly consumed by the French population, and kept the people on trend.

Colours had significance. These greens, yellows and purples were popular among the rich, and came to be thought of as royalist styles. Oddly enough, black was an especially royalist colour, and one that became particularly hated. Once the divisions took hold, the bright coloured silks might get you some suspicion but black would earn you outright hostility. The cloths themselves had their own meanings, silks being special not only for their look and texture but also for their appeal as a status symbol - despite being mostly made in Lyon, silks retained an image of being connected with China. After the revolution, silks and velvet were banned for a while in favour of the "patriotism" of French wool. The truth didn't matter that much; the aristocracy had worn it, and therefore it had to be stamped out, and the authorities used such a heavy sanction because these things were so popular.

So, we think our assassin is silly in anything but black, and should be black to remain unseen, but not in this particular setting. Here, black would be conspicuous and even dangerous to wear. Bright turquoise might be your best bet for blending in.

SixKeys
12-17-2014, 04:25 AM
That's the one!

I've seen so many people pulling their historical knowledge out of the air over the colour choices in Unity without considering how specific they are. That pistachio turquoise is not some random choice, and the powerful mustard yellows are not anachronistic. In fact, it was the comparatively soft colours which were the ones for the young men - the older, respectable types were more likely to be seen in that blazing mustard shade. Fashion magazines were avidly consumed by the French population, and kept the people on trend.

Colours had significance. These greens, yellows and purples were popular among the rich, and came to be thought of as royalist styles. Oddly enough, black was an especially royalist colour, and one that became particularly hated. Once the divisions took hold, the bright coloured silks might get you some suspicion but black would earn you outright hostility. The cloths themselves had their own meanings, silks being special not only for their look and texture but also for their appeal as a status symbol - despite being mostly made in Lyon, silks retained an image of being connected with China. After the revolution, silks and velvet were banned for a while in favour of the "patriotism" of French wool. The truth didn't matter that much; the aristocracy had worn it, and therefore it had to be stamped out, and the authorities used such a heavy sanction because these things were so popular.

So, we think our assassin is silly in anything but black, and should be black to remain unseen, but not in this particular setting. Here, black would be conspicuous and even dangerous to wear. Bright turquoise might be your best bet for blending in.

Interesting. I worked hard to get that black dye but now I feel less inclined to use it. What would you say would be considered really inconspicuous colors (not associated with any particular class or faction)? I like picking my outfits with roleplay in mind.

Edit: I can't wait for the collective dudebro headsplosion when Victory comes out. Pink was considered a masculine color in Victorian times.

Shahkulu101
12-17-2014, 04:31 AM
I feel guilty wearing the classic Assassin white and red colour scheme because white was seen as a pro-royalist colour... :p

souNdwAve89
12-17-2014, 04:32 AM
That's the one!

Funny thing is that the Assassin NPC's that you go to to get a co-op mission wear all black :p

SixKeys
12-17-2014, 04:40 AM
I feel guilty wearing the classic Assassin white and red colour scheme because white was seen as a pro-royalist colour... :p

Same here. I prefer Beige Ghost anyway, it just looks better. I usually give my Arno greyish, nondescript colors, or green/red because I see a lot of NPCs wear that combination.

D.I.D.
12-17-2014, 04:44 AM
That's why I was suggesting the pistachio, really. Unity is mostly set before these taboos hit, and until then being fashionable gave you the most social range. You might be mistaken for an aristocrat, but purely by numbers it would be far more likely that you were a middle-class social climber: the sort of person who could find their place at a gambling den, a coffee house, the theatre, or a society ball (up to a certain point). The safest clothing on the streets would be the Sans-Cullottes choices, but then there's no way you'd blend in at those opulent parties.

For Victory, we might not see adult men in pink all that much, but it was certainly seen as the masculine choice to put a male child in a nice pink dress (red being the colour of adult men, and pink as its analogue for the very young). The big colour of the Victorian era is mauve, which we consider to be a rather basic colour today, but most of us don't realise that mauve had to be invented. It's the product of advances in chemistry during the era, and William Henry Perkin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Perkin)'s chemical mauvine provided a colour-fast and light-stable dye to make it happen.

Funny thing is that the Assassin NPC's that you go to to get a co-op mission wear all black :p

That's why they hide indoors and under bridges like common trolls. Poor guys are terrified, and they have no idea why every hates them so much :'(

SixKeys
12-17-2014, 05:06 AM
That's why I was suggesting the pistachio, really. Unity is mostly set before these taboos hit, and until then being fashionable gave you the most social range. You might be mistaken for an aristocrat, but purely by numbers it would be far more likely that you were a middle-class social climber: the sort of person who could find their place at a gambling den, a coffee house, the theatre, or a society ball (up to a certain point). The safest clothing on the streets would be the Sans-Cullottes choices, but then there's no way you'd blend in at those opulent parties.

I kinda wish Unity's customization was tied more to mission types or even districts. It's a bit weird that Sans Cullottes clothes are always marked as highly stealthy, even when there are many situations where they would plainly draw attention to the assassin, like at an upper class party. It would make more sense for outfits to be tied to restricted area effect: if the mission takes place in a palace, the clothes you wear within the restricted area would gain or lose some of their advantages. If the mission takes place in a run-down part of the city, the restricted area would give advantages to shaggy clothes and diminish the advantages of upper-class clothes.

D.I.D.
12-17-2014, 05:19 AM
I kinda wish Unity's customization was tied more to mission types or even districts. It's a bit weird that Sans Cullottes clothes are always marked as highly stealthy, even when there are many situations where they would plainly draw attention to the assassin, like at an upper class party. It would make more sense for outfits to be tied to restricted area effect: if the mission takes place in a palace, the clothes you wear within the restricted area would gain or lose some of their advantages. If the mission takes place in a run-down part of the city, the restricted area would give advantages to shaggy clothes and diminish the advantages of upper-class clothes.

Yes, those are good ideas. Maybe they considered those things, but decided that players would find the specifics of matching clothes to situations confusing or irritating, after the way some poeple reacted to Liberation's hard restrictions with clothes, but your idea of losing certain stats advantages is a great one.

Perhaps we'll see that in Victory, where more people will instinctively know which clothes are correct for each circumstance.