PDA

View Full Version : A Present Without Direction and Unfinished Stories

killerman_2012
12-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Hi, I want to unburden myself and telling you what I think about the decisions that Ubisoft have made about the franchise.

Since Desmond's death, AC have lost its direction. Now we have not a main character in the present. We only have games set in the past without a clear objective to reach.

In my opinion, one of the best attributes of the franchise was the fact to relive ancestors memories to achieve a goal in the present. That was the main conection between each game of the franchise from AC1 to AC3. But since AC4 the modern-day storyline has become irrelevant.

I thought that ACU could reverse the situation. But it was worst than AC4. The present storyline was only cinematics and Juno doesn't appeared (neither another TWCB). There was not progress at all.

But that is not all. The present is not the only problem we have. Ubisoft is leaving many loose ends and unfinished stories. For example, we don't know what happened with Connor after the Revolutionary War. And now, with the announcement of Victory, it's clear that Arno and Shay won't have an ending either. what is the matter? why not a sequel set during the Napoleonic Wars (for example) to close the Connor/Arno/Shay story?

So I'm very dissapointed about the direction that the franchise has adopted. There's no connection between the new games. It's as if the writers did not know how to continue the story. I was hopeful with Unity, but now I don't believe in Ubisoft anymore.

Thanks for reading my opinion. I want to know if someone thinks the same.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 01:49 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-STQBQ40Geec/UVmyKBSVJzI/AAAAAAAALK4/FcCZkz7q5LU/s1600/clap.gif

It's threads like these that make me proud to be part of the AC fandom.

Knowing there are fans out there who call out glaring problems.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 01:53 AM
What is this like the third Thread about Character's endings?

I'm all for finishing them off, but let's just be patient and see what happens. ;)

No offense to the OP, though. ^^

RinoTheBouncer
12-16-2014, 01:57 AM
http://coolspotters.com/files/photos/910953/the-hunger-games-and-district-11-gallery.png?1357411525

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-16-2014, 10:23 AM
Agreed. I use to be a proud supporter of this series. Especially after AC2 the franchise was incredibly respected by the gaming community.

Nowadays it's just been nothing more than a cash-cow, and my interest has been diminishing ever since.

I'll still probably get the games for some time (because I still find them fun), but there is no doubt that the story presentation has been diminishing.

Not only is the story-telling getting worse, but the fact that the characters never get a conclusion just makes them un-interesting.

The fact that the next character in Victory will unlikely get a conclusion has already reduced by interest in him. It doesn't even have to be made into a game. It could just be a page on AC Wiki for all I care. Over 2 years later and we still don't know how Connor's life ended, or what he did (all we have are tiny tidbits that mean almost nothing).

In terms of graphics, animations, sound design, size, ambition the games are doing fantastic. In terms of story-telling, writing and music though the games are diminishing. I just wish they'd respect the franchise again instead of seeing it as the next big cash cow.

I've also realised after playing lot's of other games this year that AC is falling behind the times. Unity served as a good building block but everything really needs to be expanded upon. Combat, parkour and stealth need more depth. Character customisation needs refining, new innovations need to be brought in (alternate endings, player choice, level up system, more choice in style of play etc). Also the map needs to be more varied. Having one city is cool for a while, but feels repetitive fairly quickly. That's why AC1, 2, 3 and 4 were the funnest to explore. Because the locations were so varied

Just realised I've gone way off topic, but nonetheless I think what I've said is fair.

TLDR; More focus on story and writers rather than gimmicks like grappling hook. Incorporate more RPG and stealth elements. Bring in meaningful innovation.

I still enjoy the franchise, but I would remiss to ignore the worrying direction it's going. The franchise still has a lot of potential to innovate and redeem itself, but the yearly releases are clearly prohibiting this.

dxsxhxcx
12-16-2014, 11:10 AM
I don't think a conclusion for the characters is necessary (it's welcome, but not necessary), the modern days set a goal and when this goal is reached we are done with the ancestor and this is how it has been working since AC1, unfortunately, like mentioned by the OP this goal became uninteresting/irrelevant when they decided to put ourselves as the protagonists or a random character with no voice or personality (AC4/ACRo's case).

and before someone mentions Ezio or Altair, like I said, ACB and ACR also set a goal that needs to be reached, they just used Ezio because he was popular, but it could've been anyone, and in Altair's defense, the guy changed the Order globably and while what we saw in the memory seals didn't serve any real purpose (for the modern days), the reason stated before IMO is enough to give him a "proper" ending (even thinking the seals' memories were too short)...

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 11:36 AM
I'd just be happy if the main story made any sense. When an Assassin's Creed game leaves you wondering, "Wait. How is he an assassin now?", like Unity did with no explanation whatever about the fact that Arno was magically given back all his assassin equipment after he was fired from the Assassin Order, something is very wrong.

What I suspect happened is that the game was so far from being finished that some main story cut-scenes and missions were not even complete when they were forced to release the game. I think people would be shocked if they knew how far from finished this game truly is.

So I suspect that they intended to have a modern day component to this story. But like so many other things, it was cut because they had to get the game published in November 2014.

KPRage
12-16-2014, 01:46 PM
You know, this entire situation would not be in existence, had Patrice Désilets been allowed to continue on the franchise instead of being kicked out TWICE by Ubisoft.

This whole screw-up, including the plot-line, characters, settings and the like, has been because the people who made the decision to remove him from their company are fools who only see money in the place of complete, perfect storylines and games that their fans enjoy. I want Desmond back. I want closure for Connor, training for Arno and more adventures with Shay. But I also want consistency. A real reason to be exploring the memories of these people, not just to scavenge for a bloodline that I'm never going to meet. Screw self-immersion. I want to be someone looking for something through someone else's eyes. Not just a guy looking through memories because he was asked to.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 01:58 PM
You know, this entire situation would not be in existence, had Patrice Désilets been allowed to continue on the franchise instead of being kicked out TWICE by Ubisoft.

And, by firing him the second time, they consigned 1666 (the game that was set to be the successor to Assassin's Creed) to the trash heap. I'll never forgive Ubisoft for that.

KPRage
12-16-2014, 02:08 PM
And, by firing him the second time, they consigned 1666 (the game that was set to be the successor to Assassin's Creed) to the trash heap. I'll never forgive Ubisoft for that.

Exactly. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Désilets' new developer release an amazing game that will take a dump on Victory and everything else that Ubi releases that year.

killzab
12-16-2014, 02:41 PM

This whole screw-up, including the plot-line, characters, settings and the like, has been because the people who made the decision to remove him from their company are fools who only see money in the place of complete, perfect storylines and games that their fans enjoy. I want Desmond back. I want closure for Connor, training for Arno and more adventures with Shay. But I also want consistency. A real reason to be exploring the memories of these people, not just to scavenge for a bloodline that I'm never going to meet. Screw self-immersion. I want to be someone looking for something through someone else's eyes. Not just a guy looking through memories because he was asked to.

He probably left because he didn't like the way Ubi wanted to treat his franchise, and I'm certain ACIII would've been a VERY different game if Desilets directed it ( I assume it would've been a modern day game).

VoXngola
12-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I really like how these threads keep popping up more and more after Unity's launch.

I'm not being sarcastic or anythig, it just makes me happy to see how more and more people finally start complaining about the problems AC has had since at least AC4, atleast when it comes to the modern day part.

I agree fully with you OP, know that there are many people who think the same and "we", so to speak, are getting larger in numbers.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 03:15 PM
He probably left because he didn't like the way Ubi wanted to treat his franchise, and I'm certain ACIII would've been a VERY different game if Desilets directed it ( I assume it would've been a modern day game).

Different, yes. Modern day? I very much doubt it. All of his games have had the historical element as the main setting. 1666: Amsterdam was also going to be set in the past. It's pretty clear to me that Desilets finds the past a lot more interesting than the present.

Assassin's Creed's modern aspects were always just an entry point to the historical setting. I see nothing in any of the games to suggest they were moving towards bringing the series into the modern day in terms of the main setting for the game. Also, there's not much incentive to do that, simply because there are already a whole bunch of modern shooters around. Then there's the fact that bringing AC into the modern day would remove the whole point of playing AC for the many players who feel historical tourism is the primary selling point of the series.

bitebug2003
12-16-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't really care about modern day (MD) anymore.

Black Flag and Rogue's MD setting was quite tedious -- it didn't help being referred to as a 'numbskull' and some of the writing was quite terrible (too much fluff and not enough substance).

I'm indifferent to the 'MD' aspects of AC:Unity

The Helix Rifts

I'm also baffled why all but one of the Helix Stories is playable..

KPRage
12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
The Helix Rifts

To be perfectly honest, the Helix Rifts should have more story importance. Instead of "being Arno in WW2", why not his descendant from that period climbing the Eiffel Tower? Wasted opportunity.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't really care about modern day (MD) anymore.

Black Flag and Rogue's MD setting was quite tedious -- it didn't help being referred to as a 'numbskull' and some of the writing was quite terrible (too much fluff and not enough substance).

I'm indifferent to the 'MD' aspects of AC:Unity

The Helix Rifts

I enjoyed Rogue's MD.

but mainly because I have a huge templar bias. I admit it.

So I love everything templar, lmfao

But yes there was a lack of substance in ACIV/Rogue's MD

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 05:11 PM
I enjoyed Rogue's MD.

Preach... :cool:

Journey93
12-16-2014, 05:14 PM
AC has turned into COD I didn't want to believe it but its true
there is no real story anymore since Desmond died I thought ACIV was an exception and that the MD would be "rebooted" in Unity with a new protagonist and mission but nope..
If Victory doesn't have a good MD I'm out

Shahkulu101
12-16-2014, 05:19 PM
As I've said before, if it's not feasible to make MD worth our time put it out of it's misery and remove it entirely.

As it stands it serves no purpose and is just 'there' anyway. I know it's perhaps drastic, but the prospect of a fully fledged, overarching, 3rd person Modern Day is extremely, extremely unlikely. In fact, impossible. So really what's the point in it continuing to exist?

All it does is frustrate fans because it's completely lacking in substance nowadays and annoys those outside the fandom because it's seen as something that simply gets in the way. There's no benefit to keeping it, at all.

Journey93
12-16-2014, 05:20 PM
I'd just be happy if the main story made any sense. When an Assassin's Creed game leaves you wondering, "Wait. How is he an assassin now?", like Unity did with no explanation whatever about the fact that Arno was magically given back all his assassin equipment after he was fired from the Assassin Order, something is very wrong.

What I suspect happened is that the game was so far from being finished that some main story cut-scenes and missions were not even complete when they were forced to release the game. I think people would be shocked if they knew how far from finished this game truly is.

So I suspect that they intended to have a modern day component to this story. But like so many other things, it was cut because they had to get the game published in November 2014.

yeah you are probably right damm you Ubisoft! I don't like how they are handling this franchise
they are ruining one of my favourite game series

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 05:21 PM
AC has turned into COD I didn't want to believe it but its true

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1290449/picard-facepalm-o.gif

GunnerGalactico
12-16-2014, 05:26 PM
I enjoyed Rogue's MD.

Not very surprising, but at least you admitted it ;)

RinoTheBouncer
12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I truly want a 3rd person modern day in the next game. I know it’s not impossible. It happened before, it can happen now. Why not? It’s not something that harms those who don’t care about it, but the lack of it does harm those who truly like it. It’s a total of one hour of gameplay from the main campaign, so I don’t see what’s so annoying about it. I just think we need someone to writer the story properly, write some good dialogue and create worthy characters. They made a modern-looking paris in WWII and Belle Epoch, so I don’t see why they can just have such a segment have a meaning and have it’s own character and dialogues. Time is not an excuse. If the game needs more time, then it should get more time.

Please read my letter to Ubisoft. Link in my signature. I hope my voice and those who think like me will be heard :)

Eduard413
12-16-2014, 08:39 PM
killerman2012... you are my hero for creating this thread :eek::o
I'm really happy to see people who cares for the MD like me, shame is, Ubisoft doesn't care about the veterans of this franchise - they want money, and it seems they only want the newcomers to buy the newest AC games so they can have even more money,
I'm sorry Ubisoft but I really don't understeand how can anyone be annoyed by the Modern Day sequences, and this revolutionary idea of YOU AS THE PLAYER! is ridiculous and stupid

even as Desmond, every game with him had the Modern Day sequences only about 1 hour long - and the Historical part was about 20 or even more hours, but in 1 hour, a lot of things happened
but now we have stupid Bishop character that wants to remind us that WE ARE THE PLAYER - THE GOD DAMN INITIATE AND WE ARE SO COOL FOR reliving the memories of some french dude living in Paris during the Revolution

where is Juno? :( I want her back! so in the end, Desmond's death was pointless, in AC4 she was still present, even in Rogue when you collected the Animus Fragments you unlocked some audio recordings with her, but now, nothing, I don't count the email unlocked by Rift mission- that message clearly says that Juno is cutted out from the Franchise because UBISOFT DOESN'T care about us the fans,
the solution would be simple - DELETE THE SIDE CONTENT! well I love side content but really, AC unity's side content lasts much more hours than the main story as ARno
also I gotta say, the Side missions in Unity are boring, really, really boring - (The Coop ones and heists are fun) but everything esle is really boring :mad:

Altair1789
12-16-2014, 09:03 PM
killerman2012... you are my hero for creating this thread :eek::o
I'm really happy to see people who cares for the MD like me, shame is, Ubisoft doesn't care about the veterans of this franchise - they want money, and it seems they only want the newcomers to buy the newest AC games so they can have even more money,
I'm sorry Ubisoft but I really don't understeand how can anyone be annoyed by the Modern Day sequences, and this revolutionary idea of YOU AS THE PLAYER! is ridiculous and stupid

even as Desmond, every game with him had the Modern Day sequences only about 1 hour long - and the Historical part was about 20 or even more hours, but in 1 hour, a lot of things happened
but now we have stupid Bishop character that wants to remind us that WE ARE THE PLAYER - THE GOD DAMN INITIATE AND WE ARE SO COOL FOR reliving the memories of some french dude living in Paris during the Revolution

where is Juno? :( I want her back! so in the end, Desmond's death was pointless, in AC4 she was still present, even in Rogue when you collected the Animus Fragments you unlocked some audio recordings with her, but now, nothing, I don't count the email unlocked by Rift mission- that message clearly says that Juno is cutted out from the Franchise because UBISOFT DOESN'T care about us the fans,
the solution would be simple - DELETE THE SIDE CONTENT! well I love side content but really, AC unity's side content lasts much more hours than the main story as ARno
also I gotta say, the Side missions in Unity are boring, really, really boring - (The Coop ones and heists are fun) but everything esle is really boring :mad:

I absolutely hated the "you as the player" concept and everything that came with it. They have so many ways they can just bring back Desmond or even a different MD protagonist, in an interesting way, but nope.

They need to stop with all the collectibles and side missions, especially when each sequence in the game has either 2 or 3 (4 only once I think) missions.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 09:30 PM
I absolutely hated the "you as the player" concept and everything that came with it. They have so many ways they can just bring back Desmond or even a different MD protagonist, in an interesting way, but nope.

Like I said a million times before, simply bringing a new MD protagonist isn't going to make things better.

He/She would just be undeveloped and unused like Desmond because the Historical aspect comes first.

Because it seems that ever since AC2/Ezio, the Ancestor seems to be more important to the plot when it really should've been Desmond that was considered equally ( if not more) important as the Ancestor.

Until Ubi treats MD/Us/etc as equally important as the Historical area, we won't see a change.

Not directed at you, Altair. I just had to point that out. :)

Journey93
12-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Like I said a million times before, simply bringing a new MD protagonist isn't going to make things better.

He/She would just be undeveloped and unused like Desmond because the Historical aspect comes first.

Because it seems that ever since AC2/Ezio, the Ancestor seems to be important to the plot when it really should've been Desmond that was considered equally ( if not more) important as the Ancestor.

Until Ubi treats MD/Us/etc as equally important as the Historical area, we won't see a change.

Not directed at you, Altair. I just had to point that out. :)

Desmond was getting a lot better as a character in my opinion but then of course they just had to kill him off
a new MD protagonist WILL make things better if what he/she does is connected with the historical aspect
like finding the pieces of eden in Brotherhood or the Amulet in 3

thats what made the previous games great the historical part mattered it didn't feel like a side story like it does in Unity

Hrafnagud72
12-16-2014, 11:21 PM
I have hated Ubi for cutting the modern day ever since it happened. The story is completely pointless now. Why are we doing any of this stuff inside the animus? There is no goal or point anymore. There is nothing to accomplish, no reason to enter the animus. The lack of the modern day kills the game. This is why I have not bought Rogue or Unity. I have played them both in their entirety but I will not spend money on either of them. Unless major changes are made to AC I won't spend money on this franchise any longer.

Journey93
12-17-2014, 01:52 AM
I have hated Ubi for cutting the modern day ever since it happened. The story is completely pointless now. Why are we doing any of this stuff inside the animus? There is no goal or point anymore. There is nothing to accomplish, no reason to enter the animus. The lack of the modern day kills the game. This is why I have not bought Rogue or Unity. I have played them both in their entirety but I will not spend money on either of them. Unless major changes are made to AC I won't spend money on this franchise any longer.

I'm in the same boat as you I'm just glad I got my refund for Unity
Rogue I got from a friend didn't like it either
I agree without the MD part the series has absolutely no direction it gave the historical parts purpose and meaning
no its just some side stories and I can see why Ubi is doing this more new players can play the game and not be confused by the complicated Modern Day story and this way they can just keep milking the series because there is no end

I will wait and see how Victory is if its anything like Unity or Rogue I'm dumping the franchise

JustPlainQuirky
12-17-2014, 01:54 AM
random idea

and this would only work in one game but...

what if like

your character relived memories

and then your character realizes he is a sage

and then he's like going out of his way in modern day to figure out what happened historically when he died.

killerman_2012
12-17-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who think that the franchise is losing its way. I hope someone from Ubisoft reads this kind of posts and notices that AC needs a break to do the things well. They need improve the storyline quality. We need a new MD hero and a great story to connect each game, because if this not happen, then AC is lost. We also need answers and conclusions! It's not possible to make new main characters and not give them a nice ending. Altair, Ezio, Desmond and Edward have their finals. However the stories of Connor, Arno and Shay are still open.