PDA

View Full Version : more murder mysteries and riddles please.

SYNTEK-666
12-15-2014, 11:01 PM
I know unity isn't quite up to par just yet, and there is still dead kings to play through. But I really want to explore some more, but with purpose.

Any chance new murders, nostrodumas riddles, or even some assassin missions (Iscariotte the giant a personal fave.) Will be coming. Even with the co-op and heist which are what I've wanted for years (when they work). I feel like I'm blowing through this game.

It's been a tradition of mine the last few years to play a creed game during my holiday break but I don't think there's enough game left to last until then. I even played through and platniumed rogue before starting unity.

Guess I just want more, issues aside this game is very good. But very short.

Oh next time around can we see more weather, Flys buzzing around, water pouring off the rooftops during a rain storm? My footprints being left in the mud? 5000+npcs is crazy cool and all but the world would be more alive if you half that and show more environmental factors.

Maybe in London. It would be interesting also if rain slicked surfaces and you had to adjust to it like you did snow in ac3.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 11:03 PM
I didn't understand the riddles.

I don't know the names of places or buildings and can never find things on the map

but its not a flaw in the game

i just suck at that kind of stuff so I find it no fun

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 11:07 PM

I don't know the names of places or buildings and can never find things on the map

The database is full of hints -- which they could have brought to the player's attention, by having Bishop say *something* about it. The database seems to be a 'hacked' version, somehow, and the 'hacker' appears to be none other than Shaun (his contribution is restricted to silly side-comments, though); so that's all the more reason to draw the player's attention to it, *in-game*.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Oh.

Then maybe it is a flaw in the game.

But its the only thing I actually have to look up how to do (as much as I am ashamed to admit it)

because I'm not good with memorizing locations or directions, let alone figuring out riddles that hint them

That's why I didn't mention it in my review. I couldn't tell if I'm just dumb.

SYNTEK-666
12-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Some were pretty tricky. I just happened to remember an entry about one of the landmarks and realized right away, read the data entries. Also noticed the ones that had a higher difficulty tended to be easier.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 11:23 PM
oh pfffft

I dont read database entries

I dont play a videogame to read blocks of text

otherwise i'd like ACIV's modern day

D.I.D.
12-15-2014, 11:25 PM
They're just cryptic clues, that's all - poetic allusions to the database references. I don't think any of them required more knowledge than what's presented to you in the game. Some became clearer as you did more missions - for instance, at least one is a reference to De Sade's character, so until you learn where his building is located, you would not know how to proceed.

Pandassin
12-15-2014, 11:29 PM
I think the riddles were pretty cool, however a lot of them didn't make much sense to me, I couldn't figure out most of them so I just ended up cheating. However the ones I could get were fun to figure out :P

I didn't mind murder mysteries, however they got repetitive and it became a nuisance running 300m to reach a new investigation area. Plus I didn't really care about false accusations since I already had plenty of money. I think there should have been fewer, more in-depth mysteries with cutscenes and such.

SYNTEK-666
12-15-2014, 11:30 PM
I like the entries. I like history too, ac for all its fiction is still the best time machine we've got.

RinoTheBouncer
12-15-2014, 11:32 PM
To be perfectly honest, those stuff were fun but only with the first 3-5 missions. Doing it more than that became chore-y and boring. It lost its taste, so either make them totally different from one another or just make them fewer. No need to just cram things in and pack the game with side contents for the sake of it. It’s not a competition of who makes the highest number of side quests. I’d rather have 5 interesting, different and story-driven side quests than 300 chests, 30 enigmas, 700 paris stories..etc.

D.I.D.
12-15-2014, 11:33 PM
I like the entries. I like history too, ac for all its fiction is still the best time machine we've got.

I think they're a great way to get people to read the database and see all the locations on the map. Lots of people seemed to enjoy them, but it seemed like a lot of people were pretty dismayed that the reward was only a skin and not an armour set, or something that came with a special weapon.

To be perfectly honest, those stuff were fun but only with the first 3-5 missions. Doing it more than that became chore-y and boring. It lost its taste, so either make them totally different from one another or just make them fewer. No need to just cram things in and pack the game with side contents for the sake of it. It’s not a competition of who makes the highest number of side quests. I’d rather have 5 interesting, different and story-driven side quests than 300 chests, 30 enigmas, 700 paris stories..etc.

Very true. I remember they were really trying my patience after a while, because I just wanted to win the reward. I felt like I'd already proved my ability to decipher their clues much earlier in the run, and continuing as long as it did just seemed really obnoxious.

SYNTEK-666
12-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Only have one false accusation so far. I was standing next to the character I could accuse, didn't press any buttons other than to review case notes, when I came out of that screen and back to the game, it said I made the false accusation.

Stupid glitch. Some were a little tedious with all the different locations I agree to that. And I did enjoy the riddles much more.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 11:36 PM
the murder mysteries were fun, but there was a bit much.

I would have preferred a few really deep murder mysteries. Like LA Noire.

But this is AC not criminal detective

SYNTEK-666
12-15-2014, 11:39 PM
I think they're a great way to get people to read the database and see all the locations on the map. Lots of people seemed to enjoy them, but it seemed like a lot of people were pretty dismayed that the reward was only a skin and not an armour set, or something that came with a special weapon.

Very true. I remember they were really trying my patience after a while, because I just wanted to win the reward. I felt like I'd already proved my ability to decipher their clues much earlier in the run, and continuing as long as it did just seemed really obnoxious.

Agreed just being a skin is a little weak.

SYNTEK-666
12-15-2014, 11:41 PM
the murder mysteries were fun, but there was a bit much.

I would have preferred a few really deep murder mysteries. Like LA Noire.

But this is AC not criminal detective

I loved that game too. I dobut we've seen the last of these though, wasn't Jack the Ripper active during the time period of the next game?

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 11:42 PM
yup.

SYNTEK-666
12-15-2014, 11:48 PM
Well then, let's hope they learned enough from how these played out to place them into the story better and make them more varied, and rewarding

Or we get a spin off series A.C.S.I.

Shahkulu101
12-15-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm too daft for the riddles, but I loved Murder Mysteries even though they felt out of place. More of them I'd love to be honest.

I think they should get rid of the riddles, probably less than 0.1% of players have figured all those out on their own - I don't find them particularly fun either and like somebody said it's obnoxious to have 18 of the blasted things. Maybe I'm just stupid and these aren't really that hard I don't know. I kind of sound like a hypocrite because I'm always banging on at how the series should be more difficult, but I think these are different.

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 12:04 AM
I loved that game too. I dobut we've seen the last of these though, wasn't Jack the Ripper active during the time period of the next game?

It depends very much where they start and end the story. I'm hoping for little to no Jack in Victory. People put was too much importance on this one thing, and there's much more interesting stuff going on in the period. Maybe they'll prove me wrong if they do run a Ripper story and I'll eat my words!

SYNTEK-666
12-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Time will tell. I agree that may be too obvious of an inclusion, but if kept as a side quest...?

RinoTheBouncer
12-16-2014, 01:03 AM

Yes. And just so I won’t be judging without trying. Today, I completed all Enigmas. I actually never done any and today I finished them all. I knew what the reward was, but God, seriously? when I was doing the final puzzles inside the Cafe Theatre basement, I was like “Is this outfit really worth all that fuss?”. I felt like it was all just repetition, no fun nor skill. And now that anybody can cheat and open up the guide book or the internet, you won’t really feel challenged when the solution is there. And forget all that, the reward doesn’t match the effort.

I mean if it was an armor made out of pieces that we unlock after getting a few Enigmas, then maybe it could be convincing, especially that putting on the whole armor will literally make you invincible or perhaps perform some “glitchy” moves to win easily. But no, it was just a skin, nothing more and it wasn’t even a new or original skin. Just a re-colloring of Altair’s robes.

I always find side quests and unlockables to be something that’s worth a lot of studying and planning, because you can’t just put the most powerful weapon as a reward of killing the most powerful boss, because in order to beat that boss, for example, you need to be super powerful and skilled, so in that case, why would I need that weapon anymore? and why would I need that outfit if the quest to unlock it will probably take a long enough that I’ll most likely have finished the game and no longer interested in replay to see it in cutscenes?

EmptyCrustacean
12-16-2014, 01:12 AM
The database is full of hints -- which they could have brought to the player's attention, by having Bishop say *something* about it. The database seems to be a 'hacked' version, somehow, and the 'hacker' appears to be none other than Shaun (his contribution is restricted to silly side-comments, though); so that's all the more reason to draw the player's attention to it, *in-game*.

I used the database as well however it became annoying and stupid without an option to view the database locations on the actual map. It meant I had to scour the map with my cursor to find the right landmark name. Worse still, some of the landmarks on the map are glitched and simply say 'landmark' which made it very problematic. So once again, the riddles are another potentially fun element Ubsioft managed to ruin by not finishing properly. Anyway, I managed to finish them and got the legendary Assassin outfit but hardly felt rewarded for my patience.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Worse still, some of the landmarks on the map are glitched and simply say 'landmark' which made it very problematic. So once again, the riddles are another potentially fun element Ubsioft managed to ruin by not finishing properly

Absolutely; I'm expecting them to fix this with the upcoming 'refurbishing'.

And yes, the whole Nostradamus thing appears unfinished: Who left those glyphs? What was that shrine to de Carneillon doing under the Café? Why couldn't Bishop or someone else hint to the player that the database is full of hints? Or mention that it's been hacked and commented on, by Shaun? Why is the legendary armor nothing more than a repainted version of Altair's robes? Couldn't the design be a *little* more original? Why does it contribute absolutely nothing gameplay-wise? I'm not talking about a 'bonus' necessarily; but it could have made *some* difference, in *some* way, at least.

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Why couldn't Bishop or someone else hint to the player that the database is full of hints? Or mention that it's been hacked and commented on, by Shaun?

I think that would have been a bit insulting, tbh. You're given a bunch of riddles, they obviously relate to Paris locations, and you know you've got a database of information because the game is constantly telling you that info has been added to the database.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Perhaps; but not necessarily 'insulting', considering the insane amount of hand-holding there already is in the UI (even when you turn off all HUD elements). What I had in mind was something like Rebecca letting Desmond know that she's marked this or that on the map, or that the new animus has training simulations.

Besides old players know that there's an extensive (and often quite funny) database, but new players might not.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2014, 05:59 AM

I doubt its that you suck at it...but you COULD find it fun.. and theres a reason you dont.. for the same reason that I dont find them fun either...
Theres just so many awesome games that it can feel annoying when a game asks for so much of your time lol
I don't want to say that im 'privileged' because i work pretty damn hard for the money I make but i have literally HUNDREDS of games to go through..and when i have a channel based on getting through all of these games that packs on the feeling of get through everything as fast as I can...
HOWEVER if this were 2 years ago where I only bought 1 new game a year (assassins creed) and played my handful of games on sunday where i would soak in everything and loved taking my time with games i would love these riddles much more...
Id love examining the map to try and figure them out... id know the map like i knew the map in Revelations AC2, and AC3
And for that reason I can appreciate them AND collectibles...
Those things arent there for the people that come and leave, they are for the people that want to stick around as long as possible

STDlyMcStudpants
12-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Yes. And just so I won’t be judging without trying. Today, I completed all Enigmas. I actually never done any and today I finished them all. I knew what the reward was, but God, seriously? when I was doing the final puzzles inside the Cafe Theatre basement, I was like “Is this outfit really worth all that fuss?”. I felt like it was all just repetition, no fun nor skill. And now that anybody can cheat and open up the guide book or the internet, you won’t really feel challenged when the solution is there. And forget all that, the reward doesn’t match the effort.

I mean if it was an armor made out of pieces that we unlock after getting a few Enigmas, then maybe it could be convincing, especially that putting on the whole armor will literally make you invincible or perhaps perform some “glitchy” moves to win easily. But no, it was just a skin, nothing more and it wasn’t even a new or original skin. Just a re-colloring of Altair’s robes.

I always find side quests and unlockables to be something that’s worth a lot of studying and planning, because you can’t just put the most powerful weapon as a reward of killing the most powerful boss, because in order to beat that boss, for example, you need to be super powerful and skilled, so in that case, why would I need that weapon anymore? and why would I need that outfit if the quest to unlock it will probably take a long enough that I’ll most likely have finished the game and no longer interested in replay to see it in cutscenes?

i used the walktrhough for enigmas.... trying to see everything in unity before next friday gets here (my review goes up)
The puzzles inside i didnt understand the deal with the sun... i literally just pressed buttons randomly until i got it right hahahahah

SuomiKissa
12-16-2014, 08:52 AM

I did not enjoyed the murder mystery, or Nostradamus, mission , because my mother tongue is not English (Finland), and my own country, language choice was not so understanding of the cues was short. I had to use translators to help, so that was pretty amusing the language of flowers. Positions should have used the visual clues to help, such as Arno saw some of the tasks at the beginning.

Anyway, now is the AC games full reading of the documents (which play only increased), the language pack into your mother tongue would be necessary. After all, AC3 + 4 games they are, so I got them all the joy out of, Rogue, and now I am at Unity.
Why it was beyond her reach?
As I recall, last fall I got Ubi query the name of their own native language and subtitle of the importance of the game, to which I replied in a very comprehensive and thorough. I understand that this conclusion is Ubi financial expense, but felt that the AC3 + 4 games, the aim and allowed to perfection, now just splashing in a hurry like that. When Rogue Games and Unity appeared and started by playing so I was pretty disappointed when the language option into my language was not the time previously.

rrebe
12-16-2014, 09:38 AM

I did not enjoyed the murder mystery, or Nostradamus, mission , because my mother tongue is not English (Finland), and my own country, language choice was not so understanding of the cues was short. I had to use translators to help, so that was pretty amusing the language of flowers. Positions should have used the visual clues to help, such as Arno saw some of the tasks at the beginning.

Anyway, now is the AC games full reading of the documents (which play only increased), the language pack into your mother tongue would be necessary. After all, AC3 + 4 games they are, so I got them all the joy out of, Rogue, and now I am at Unity.
Why it was beyond her reach?
As I recall, last fall I got Ubi query the name of their own native language and subtitle of the importance of the game, to which I replied in a very comprehensive and thorough. I understand that this conclusion is Ubi financial expense, but felt that the AC3 + 4 games, the aim and allowed to perfection, now just splashing in a hurry like that. When Rogue Games and Unity appeared and started by playing so I was pretty disappointed when the language option into my language was not the time previously.

Yeah I feel your pain. Some of the riddles were somewhat difficult to understand. But otherwise I had no problems with the language used in the game.

But I liked those side missions, and I wish there were more of them.

Hans684
12-16-2014, 04:25 PM
I could comment on the riddles but they're campion app content.

KPRage
12-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Okay, going to be honest: the Nostradamus Discs shouldn't have been riddle after riddle.

What would have worked better is a single riddle that leads to a tomb or hidden entrance. If Italy was riddled with secret stuff, why not France? Or were they too sophisticated to include that kind of stuff?

MegaRock35
12-16-2014, 06:42 PM
I think they're a great way to get people to read the database and see all the locations on the map. Lots of people seemed to enjoy them, but it seemed like a lot of people were pretty dismayed that the reward was only a skin and not an armour set, or something that came with a special weapon..

I was okay with it being a skin. I was not okay with it being a recolor of an old outfit. That was so freakin' lazy, even if I can come up with an in-story excuse. Seriously, we get a unique outfit from nameless faceless skeleton Templar that has no background, but the guy who did so much for the French Brotherhood and took down the public Knights Templar only gives us black Altair outfit? What?! Whyyyyyyy

I could comment on the riddles but they're campion app content.

Nope. Nostradamus Enigmas are in the game. There are some glyphs in the app but it's just "rotate building to find all glyphs in x moves"

Mm, personally I like the Enigmas, because I tried to read the database entries as I went so it was really cool to go "ooh ooh I know what this is pointing to!" but there were too many with too little variety. Plus several landmarks weren't marked on the map properly, which was annoying. :/

Murder mysteries were fun, too, but often much too obvious, and I ran into difficulty where I wasn't directed to new locations intuitively. A couple I managed to solve by guessing with the first crime scene, only to find I did not see 90% of it going by the case summary. I mean, I appreciate the idea of "we're not gonna hold your hand and highlight every location for you" but you still need a better clue. There was one IIRC with a politician dying at a dinner party with a rival, and nothing after the first location is marked. Fair enough, but apparently I was supposed to figure out where to go based on a bullet hole in a window? I may be wrong, this is from memory of a frustrated glance at the entry, but if that's correct than they should have made the bullet hole a clue. I never saw. Didn't even know it was there or that a bullet had been fired. They didn't have to highlight the trajectory or anything in Eagle Vision, but if they direct you to the bullet hole I think I could more logically figure out what to do. The missions with blood trails did it better.

Also there was the problem where the suspects didn't say everything listed in the case file. That same mission involved a broken necklace and a glass bead, which gives her story of how it broke in the case file, but she never mentions that out loud. Next time they should let you confront the people with various pieces of evidence to get new dialogue when you talk to them. It'd feel like a more proper investigation. Also, make the case files for testimony actual transcripts of the dialogue. Don't tell me what conclusions I should draw from it.

Hans684
12-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Nope. Nostradamus Enigmas are in the game. There are some glyphs in the app but it's just "rotate building to find all glyphs in x moves"

So I can get Thomas outfit without the app?

Mm, personally I like the Enigmas, because I tried to read the database entries as I went so it was really cool to go "ooh ooh I know what this is pointing to!" but there were too many with too little variety. Plus several landmarks weren't marked on the map properly, which was annoying. :/

Never bothered with them, might do them if I can get the outfit without the app.

Murder mysteries were fun, too, but often much too obvious, and I ran into difficulty where I wasn't directed to new locations intuitively. A couple I managed to solve by guessing with the first crime scene, only to find I did not see 90% of it going by the case summary. I mean, I appreciate the idea of "we're not gonna hold your hand and highlight every location for you" but you still need a better clue. There was one IIRC with a politician dying at a dinner party with a rival, and nothing after the first location is marked. Fair enough, but apparently I was supposed to figure out where to go based on a bullet hole in a window? I may be wrong, this is from memory of a frustrated glance at the entry, but if that's correct than they should have made the bullet hole a clue. I never saw. Didn't even know it was there or that a bullet had been fired. They didn't have to highlight the trajectory or anything in Eagle Vision, but if they direct you to the bullet hole I think I could more logically figure out what to do. The missions with blood trails did it better.

Also there was the problem where the suspects didn't say everything listed in the case file. That same mission involved a broken necklace and a glass bead, which gives her story of how it broke in the case file, but she never mentions that out loud. Next time they should let you confront the people with various pieces of evidence to get new dialogue when you talk to them. It'd feel like a more proper investigation. Also, make the case files for testimony actual transcripts of the dialogue. Don't tell me what conclusions I should draw from it.

Agree

rrebe
12-16-2014, 07:28 PM
So I can get Thomas outfit without the app?

Yes.
You only need the app for Altair outfit.

Hans684
12-16-2014, 07:47 PM
Yes.
You only need the app for Altair outfit.

Thanks.

LeVoyageur07
12-16-2014, 08:04 PM
People don't read the database entries? Really?

That's always been one of my favorite part of the AC games.
I read every single one. Not wonder people finish the game in so little time.
Takes me a few month to finish an AC game.