PDA

View Full Version : Patch 4 Has Been Delayed - Read Here

pacmanate
12-15-2014, 07:10 PM
http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-188879-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us, and your feedback over these past weeks has indicated that it is important to you as well.

As stated last week, we’d expected to release the patch today (and we know that many are anticipating its release), but we are choosing to hold off until we can give you the improvements we’ve promised. We are committed to delivering major performance improvements, which requires that we refurbish the Paris map and that will take a few more days to hit the high level of quality our players deserve.

Thank you very much for your understanding and continued patience.

-The Live Update Team

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 07:11 PM
http://thegrio.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/michael-jordan-laughs.gif?w=320&h=240

pacmanate
12-15-2014, 07:12 PM
My favourite line was this

"Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us"

Not to mention I have NEVER heard of a PATCH being delayed.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 07:15 PM

Ok now I know they're lying :rolleyes:

fakmai
"Rigorous quality control..."

Oh that makes sense.... Did you also had any when you released the game?

killzab
Jesus ....

Don't announce a date if you're not 100% sure you can deliver on time FFS ....

Wonder what they mean by "refurbish the whole map"

Fatal-Feit
12-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Only Ubisoft could delay a patch, and on the same day it's suppose to arrive.

It's funny because if you stop and think about it, we're all excited about a patch.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 07:24 PM
"Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us..."

Aaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I love irony.

deskpe
12-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Well, all this mess means ubisoft will take alot more care for Victory to be working properly. And thats a good thing.

Lots of lessons leanred, aabout release dates aswell as how to make games on their 'new' engine and console generation.

VoXngola
12-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm not even mad.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Well, all this mess means ubisoft will take alot more care for Victory to be working properly. And thats a good thing.

Lots of lessons leanred, aabout release dates aswell as how to make games on their 'new' engine and console generation.

Pity we all had to pay for their lessons.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Wonder what they mean by "refurbish the whole map"

I'm hoping they mean they'll at least re-do the stupid and useless filter system.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Well atleast they are choosing to delay it rather than giving us an unfinished patch.

IMRicko
12-15-2014, 07:38 PM
I thought only a game can be delayed not a PATCH. Ubi is clearly on a trolling level :p

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 07:39 PM
...and your feedback over these past weeks has indicated that it is important to you as well.They say that as if it's some sort of revelation! I mean, this is fricken Alice in Wonderland stuff right here. I mean, are they really suggesting that, after 30 years in the business of making videogames, they only learned that rigorous quality control was important to players "over these past weeks"? Well, I'll be buggered with a ****ing fishfork!

If this is the sort of message that's supposed to make us think Ubisoft is a responsible company, I think there needs to be a lot of firings at the very top levels of the company.

Ignacio_796
12-15-2014, 07:41 PM
My favourite line was this

Not to mention I have NEVER heard of a PATCH being delayed.

I do: Skyrim in Ps3 , Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLcs and patches , 6 months of waiting...

VoXngola
12-15-2014, 07:43 PM
At this point I'm thinking that Ubi is doing all this on purpose. You can't be this incompetent.

Also, what exactly does "refurbish the Paris map" mean, exactly? I'm expecting the worst: downgrade.

Why? Because I wouldn't put it past Ubisoft.

rrebe
12-15-2014, 07:44 PM
Well atleast they are choosing to delay it rather than giving us an unfinished patch.

The delay is a bit disappointing but I do agree with you. Better to delay a little than release a patch that'd break the game.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 07:46 PM
I just imagine the Ubi developers sitting at desks all frustrated, stressed, and depressed.

This is why a game needs lots of time and care, folks.

Will_Lucky
12-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us,

which requires that we refurbish the Paris map and that will take a few more days to hit the high level of quality our players deserve.

Buhahaha

And also that Paris bit oh Christ downgrade incoming.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Jesus its astonishing how people are complaining when Ubisoft delay a patch which is aimed to improve the games glitches which were caused due to the lack of a long enough delay in the first place.

Whilst Ubisoft should be ashamed of themsevles for releasing such an unpolished product and everyone has the right to be angry at them, you can't complain at them when they are taking EXTRA time (finally) to improve a patch for their bug riddled game.

Jeez.

muckster315
12-15-2014, 07:52 PM
funny how dude says he's not mad ******** pay 62$ for a game a month later gets dropped to 30$ nothing but trouble since it's release I have experienced multiple problems even to the point of having to start a new game on a different account then with the hassle of contacting UBI for OVER A WEEK to get my content from the sweepstakes prize drop o and not to mention that the dlc DEAD KINGS you know the dlc that people paid for with the season pass IS FREE!!! wth OOO and the list of games that they are giving away because of it I ALREADY HAVE ALL OF THEM so please tell me how they are going to make this right

dex3108
Can we get clarification on Paris refurbishing? What that means exactly and what will be changed?

JustPlainQuirky
Jesus its astonishing how people are complaining when Ubisoft delay a patch which is aimed to improve the games glitches which were caused due to the lack of a long enough delay in the first place.

Whilst Ubisoft should be ashamed of themsevles for releasing such an unpolished product and everyone has the right to be angry at them, you can't complain at them when they are taking EXTRA time (finally) to improve a patch for their bug riddled game.

Jeez.

It's astonishing Ubisoft released such a broken game in the first place.

The fact that we're having not one, but a multiple series of patches just goes to show how dysfunctional Unity really is.

And the fact that patches are getting delayed and people are looking forward to them is incredibly sad.

And they're not taking 'extra' time.

They're taking time that was supposed to be spent in building the original game before initial release.

Ubisoft has no excuse.

Aphex_Tim
12-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Jeez.

Kinda agree. At least Ubisoft apologized for the current state of the game by offering its DLC for free, while constantly keeping us up to date on the fixes they're working on.
That's more than you can say about most other game companies.

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 07:57 PM
It was unfortunate for them to announce a release day for the patch -- though in all fairness, it wasn't set in stone or anything.

Software vendors keep delaying/putting-off patches, even critical security patches, for months without anyone's knowing. At least this is a GAME, so nothing critical depends on it. Heck -- when I was a Mac user, until recently, Apple would release patches for patches two days in a row.

VoXngola
12-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Gotta go with Mayrice here. I mean, it's one thing to release a broken game and have customers wait for a series of patches even a month after the game's release. It's another thing to actually go ahead and say "here people, we will release the next patch on the 15th!" let everyone wait, then come out and say "well uhh, nah, we were overconfident with the date, so please understand and wait a couple days more!"

People have all the right to critize Ubisoft, and nobody should back up Ubisoft here. Nobody. They have to learn.

muckster315
12-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Kinda agree. At least Ubisoft apologized for the current state of the game by offering its DLC for free, while constantly keeping us up to date on the fixes they're working on.

you can apologize all you want but they did the same thing with watch dogs took over a month from initial release date for me to be able to play through the game completely because of the loading bug that seems to be present in UNITY

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Ubisoft has no excuse.

You are right, they have no excuse. They knew exactly what they were releasing when it released last month. However, complaining about them taking the required time to fix the game rather than giving us more disappointment is just stupid.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 07:59 PM
You are right, they have no excuse. They knew exactly what they were releasing when it released last month. However, complaining about them taking extra time to fix the game rather than giving us more disappointment is just stupid.

Like I said, it's not extra time when the game needed time to begin with.

And we should hardly be 'thankful' for them putting a broken game back to its intended state.

That's something that is to be expected, not a privilege.

Saying "at least they didn't screw us over even more" is not something to appreciate.

m4r-k7
12-15-2014, 08:02 PM

And we should hardly be 'thankful' for them putting a broken game back to its intended state.

Saying "at least they didn't screw us over even more" is not something to appreciate.

It is "extra time". If they released the patch now, it would probably not solve anything, just like they didn't give "extra time" to the original game itself. Im not being thankful either, I am just a lot happier than being disappointed again. Of course its not a privilege. Ubisoft mucked up, so I would rather them not muck up a patch as well.

stfunomail
12-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Not quite. I am trying really hard to remember another over-advertised AAA game release that went south so much as Unity has. I mean, all games may have issues, but I've yet to encounter something of this magnitude.

In any case it has become almost funny to see people losing their minds over this, especially today when the Patch was supposed to arrive, when people have went postal over the delays, even starting with 12.00 AM.

But as I've mentioned on another thread: people are looking at this the wrong way. People here and especially on the live update blog, are taking this too personally. Try to look at it this way:

A medium-small developer or studio might be more involved in a fan base, because they would need to grow and increase their market value.

But a developer that has become a very large company, with shareholders to please, and profit margins to increase, it is only natural they they would stop caring about every customer (loyal or not). When you become big enough, the only purpose is profit, and when you are so big, that you can sell products based on brand alone, why would such a company care about every little complaint that some customers have.

People will keep buying their games which come out 2/year/franchise, without a significant drop in sales (even with a fiasco launch like Unity), a copy-paste game like Rogue or an over inflated baloon like Watch Dogs. just look at EA. sure, they might have been criticized by customers and employees, but overall they are a very successful company, with a status and a level of profit to which other companies strive to reach.

So, ultimately, the quality of the product itself does not really matter on medium-long term, the loyal fan/customer base does not really matter, because enough other people buy the products as scheduled, each year, so that the money keep piling up. And when the money will not pile up so fast, or in such big numbers, (and I know this from experience as I work for such a multinational company), then the solution will not be producing better products, or suddenly caring about fans, but rather to downsize and externalize and outsource as much as possible from within, so as to save more money.

machine monkey
12-15-2014, 08:08 PM
This requires we "refurbish the Paris map" how unfinished was this game ????

fakmai
12-15-2014, 08:09 PM

Exactly! They should have taken their time before they took our money. And to be honest each patch caused other bugs. Even the legendaries unlock causes problems with unlocking the eden sword. So no, I won't be gratefull for them trying to make things right, after they screwed us over.

machine monkey
12-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Not quite. I am trying really hard to remember another over-advertised AAA game release that went south so much as Unity has. I mean, all games may have issues, but I've yet to encounter something of this magnitude.

In any case it has become almost funny to see people losing their minds over this, especially today when the Patch was supposed to arrive, when people have went postal over the delays, even starting with 12.00 AM.

But as I've mentioned on another thread: people are looking at this the wrong way. People here and especially on the live update blog, are taking this too personally. Try to look at it this way:

A medium-small developer or studio might be more involved in a fan base, because they would need to grow and increase their market value.

But a developer that has become a very large company, with shareholders to please, and profit margins to increase, it is only natural they they would stop caring about every customer (loyal or not). When you become big enough, the only purpose is profit, and when you are so big, that you can sell products based on brand alone, why would such a company care about every little complaint that some customers have.

People will keep buying their games which come out 2/year/franchise, without a significant drop in sales (even with a fiasco launch like Unity), a copy-paste game like Rogue or an over inflated baloon like Watch Dogs. just look at EA. sure, they might have been criticized by customers and employees, but overall they are a very successful company, with a status and a level of profit to which other companies strive to reach.

So, ultimately, the quality of the product itself does not really matter on medium-long term, the loyal fan/customer base does not really matter, because enough other people buy the products as scheduled, each year, so that the money keep piling up. And when the money will not pile up so fast, or in such big numbers, (and I know this from experience as I work for such a multinational company), then the solution will not be producing better products, or suddenly caring about fans, but rather to downsize and externalize and outsource as much as possible from within, so as to save more money.

Battlefield 4 (took 6 months+) , master chief collection (still problems) , drive club (still not sorted) , the crew (issues minor maybe by comparison ) , far cry (minor but still issues) , dragon age inquisition (patch note even said sorry we ran out of time to finish before release) .............. The list is endless it seems ....

kodomastro
12-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Ok, ok. Patch 4 is delayed but... WHERE IS MY FREE GAME?!!

stfunomail
12-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Battlefield 4

I despise EA, but aside from the frame drops and the multiplayer that was not even close.

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 08:12 PM

Thanks for this post (nice nick, by the way; but they really don't send any spam) -- I can't help but think that debacles like this at least help make transparent the inner workings of the corporate entertainment industry; things that lots of young people would perhaps remain oblivious to, otherwise.

I'm not sure whether previous generations' relationship with the production & marketing behind television/pop-music/movies, etc., was *this* 'out in the open'.

GoldenBoy9999
12-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Poor, poor, Ubisoft. I feel sorry for the devs of AC:U. They are getting a lot of bad public response. :(

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Ok, ok. Patch 4 is delayed but... WHERE IS MY FREE GAME?!!

Yeah Im still waiting on that too.

pacmanate
12-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Loll. People on release that paid £47 for this can now get it for £38... and it still doesnt work. Free DLC doesnt fix a broken game or return you your money

machine monkey
12-15-2014, 08:17 PM
At least steam has the decency to tell you the game is early access and charge you accordingly .... :-/ !!

GoldenBoy9999
12-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Yeah Im still waiting on that too.

Same. I thought I'd get to play Far Cry 4 that day or the few after they announced it but I overestimated Ubisoft. It's not like they're having to reinvent the wheel or anything, jeez...

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 08:19 PM
At least steam has the decency to tell you the game is early access and charge you accordingly .... :-/ !!

STEAM LISTED UNITY AS EARLY ACCESS!?

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif

OMFG.

That's hilarious in so many ways I can't even.

killzab
12-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Loll. People on release that paid £47 for this can now get it for £38... and it still doesnt work. Free DLC doesnt fix a broken game or return you your money

And Amazon US is selling it for 30$, I feel really stupid having bought it ...

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 08:21 PM

It's only for today, though. And yeah, it makes me feel stupid too...

pacmanate
12-15-2014, 08:22 PM

So do I. Fact is, Free DLC doesnt fix a broken game. Anyone that thinks otherwise is off their head.

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 08:23 PM
STEAM LISTED UNITY AS EARLY ACCESS!?

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-gif-Steve-Carell-laughing.gif

OMFG.

That's hilarious in so many ways I can't even.

No, of course it wasn't listed as early access. He was referring to games that *are* labeled as such.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 08:24 PM
No, of course it wasn't listed as early access. He was referring to games that *are* labeled as such.

Ahhhhh

Ok.

I was about to say. That would have been a whole other level of sad.

stfunomail
12-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks for this post (nice nick, by the way; but they really don't send any spam).

My nick is not directed at UBI, or SPAM, it's just a nick I have

I can't help but think that debacles like this at least help make transparent the inner workings of the corporate entertainment industry; things that lots of young people would perhaps remain oblivious to, otherwise.

One can only hope both sides see the light. Customers stop from blindly buying everything, and developers (in this case) taking their time to create adequate products BEFORE they actually launch it.

I have in mind an interesting example of a delayed launch, not of a game but a movie, which at that time caused great discomfort among fans, specifically one of the latets Harry Potter movies. And that release was purely box office oriented. However the fans forgot about that in the end. Similarly here fans would have been pissed off by a delay in launch of the main game, but if six months later they got to play a proper game, all would have been forgotten.

I'm not sure whether previous generations' relationship with the production & marketing behind television/pop-music/movies, etc., was *this* 'out in the open'.

That is true.

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
There's already a $30 discount on amazon, for today.

Aphex_Tim
12-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Ubisoft should give us 2 free games ASAP because of delayed patch 4, long waiting for first free game and $30 discount on Amazon!

This kind of entitlement is something I hate even more than unfinished products.

pacmanate
12-15-2014, 08:32 PM
This kind of entitlement is something I hate even more than unfinished products.

Btw, my last post wasnt directed at you even though it seems like it <3

Aphex_Tim
12-15-2014, 08:42 PM
No worries mate.

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 08:50 PM
I hope 'refurbishing the map' involves adding labels to some of the landmarks, together with links to the database.

I can't remember what the generic label says right now, but lots of landmarks that are already indicated by the drop-shaped markers on the map have some generic indication, rather than their proper names. -- Despite the fact that there already exist database entries for them.

hoju74
12-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Could map refurbishing possibly involve removing initiates/companion app requirements from the chests ?

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Could map refurbishing possibly involve removing initiates/companion app requirements from the chests ?

This would literally be the best thing that could ever happen.

If this happens, I would regain so much respect for Ubi.

Too bad you can't patch a bad story in addition. *sighs*

killzab
12-15-2014, 09:00 PM
This would literally be the best thing that could ever happen.

If this happens, I would regain so much respect for Ubi.

Too bad you can't patch a bad story in addition. *sighs*

What if Dead Kings is great ? Could it salvage the story a little ? Partly at least ? Not counting on it though

danno77
12-15-2014, 09:02 PM
I hope 'refurbishing the map' involves adding labels to some of the landmarks, together with links to the database.

I can't remember what the generic label says right now, but lots of landmarks that are already indicated by the drop-shaped markers on the map have some generic indication, rather than their proper names. -- Despite the fact that there already exist database entries for them.

I bet 'refurbishing the map' means downgrade.

JustPlainQuirky
12-15-2014, 09:04 PM
What if Dead Kings is great ? Could it salvage the story a little ? Partly at least ? Not counting on it though

I judge DLC stories separately from their respective games.

ToKW and AC3 I judge separately

Revelations and The Lost Archive I judge separately

ACIV and Freedom Cry I judge separately

Dead Kings can be amazing but it wont change the fact that Unity itself is lackluster

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 09:22 PM
...you can't complain at them when they are taking EXTRA time (finally) to improve a patch for their bug riddled game...

I don't think many of us are complaining about that. What's astonishing to me is that Ubisoft claims quality control is of paramount importance to them, when clearly it isn't, and they claim they're only just now figuring out that it is important to us.

But those who ARE complaining about the delay are probably doing so because this thing should have been 100% complete a MONTH ago, and they're kinda getting frustrated. I can understand that, and Ubisoft deserves all the badmouthing and complaints they get for this shoddy release of this STILL unfinished game.

Bigodon
12-15-2014, 09:25 PM
"refurbishing the map" sounds like downgrade to me

well, the game already look weak graphically on ps4 :/ we have alot of medium to low textures, comparing to ac4 at least we had sharpen crisp textures or watch dogs with good work on textures too
if they pick the illumination and downgrade, nothing will left

this is sad... by other side i see games like the order and uncharted 4, gta5 remastered and can't understand how hell ubi cannot take advantage of ps4 hardware

Bigodon
12-15-2014, 09:30 PM
i was counting play ac this week
F-this, looks like i will have to wait more to finish

next tuesday rockstar is going to release heists for gta online, maybe until the very last day of this year we will have the patch 4????

Jackdaw951
12-15-2014, 09:50 PM

That would be awesome. Let's hope.

I am frankly not surprised. Who said that patches don't get delayed? Any software development can get delayed, and creating a comprehensive patch is significant software development. I still say their drop-dead target should be Christmas Eve (9 days hence). That's when all the games and bundles that were bought as Christmas presents will be getting opened. The 15th was likely a tentative date, with some wiggle room to keep things real.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-15-2014, 10:11 PM
The delay of the patch is a bad sign in one important sense - it may mean it's intended to be the final patch. And with so many things wrong with the game, that could be quite bad.

pacmanate
12-15-2014, 10:20 PM

Nope.

Rafe Harwood
12-15-2014, 11:06 PM
I do: Skyrim in Ps3 , Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLcs and patches , 6 months of waiting...

I remember getting Skyrim on release and it being an absolute pile of junk.

I tried replaying the game some six months later and half the problems I was having on release were still there. The same at 12mths.

That game broke the Elder Scrolls for me. I have never bothered with another title, and certainly will never get the dlc's.

wvstolzing
12-15-2014, 11:10 PM
GTA 4's launch on PC was way worse.

D.I.D.
12-15-2014, 11:12 PM

The number of times I've heard people say Ubisoft should be more like Rockstar and only release games when they're done. I don't know if these people are children or amnesiacs.

frodrigues55
12-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Forget about other companies, Ubisoft is doing this on their own. Are they going to pretend that those issues took them by surprise? We all took notice on how unpolished the game looked weeks before the release. We didn't even need to get our hands on it, even the official media/vertical slices presented obvious issues. Delaying the patch only shows how the game was not ready for release.

And now, using words like "we care for quality" is a slap on the face when they knew damn well what they were doing in the first place.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 12:29 AM
I'll be upset if this means a downgrade.

I'm even more upset that this thread had to be created by FANS instead of the forum mods or comm devs.

Mr_Shade, Widow, UbiJohkr, Escoblades et al: I know you're all good people, but to be perfectly frank, you're not doing your job well. You create sticky threads to advertise new games or DLC but won't create sticky threads telling us that the latest patch has been delayed. Fans have to rely on other fans for news, workarounds for performance issues, etc. You make it a point to always mention that "Ubisoft does not comment on rumors and speculation" when fans are spreading unconfirmed information, but you refuse to even tell us when official, confirmed information regarding Ubisoft products are released. Comm devs create videos where they parkour through obstacle courses to promote the game, but after it's released, they can't be bothered to fix Initiates or respond to complaints about the companion app (there's a 70-plus-page thread on the mobile forum with several people saying the app hasn't worked for more than a week, and no response from Ubi)..

Frankly, I am beyond pissed right now. Not at Unity devs because I'm sure those guys didn't want to release a broken game. I'm pissed at the higher-ups who forced them to release the game before it was ready, and I'm pissed at the comm devs for their silence and refusal to interact with the fans on even the most basic level. There are how many of you guys now? I know you recently made the team bigger. Not one of you has the time to post an official update here on the forums? Not one of you can be bothered to create a rudimentary FAQ to answer some of the most common questions asked by fans about the latest patch, app issues, Initiates progress etc.? This may seem harsh and I wish I didn't have to be because I want to like you guys, but more and more often I find myself asknig the question: what DO you guys do all day if interacting with fans is not part of your job description anymore?

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 12:31 AM
Mr_Shade, Widow, UbiJohkr, Escoblades et al: I know you're all good people, but to be perfectly frank, you're not doing your job well.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maeuaeoPfr1rou8qy.gif

You said something I never had the balls to say.

Except UbiJohkr is awesome and does listen. You just have to ask directly with him.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 12:42 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maeuaeoPfr1rou8qy.gif

You said something I never had the balls to say.

Except UbiJohkr is awesome and does listen. You just have to ask directly with him.

Directly where? On Twitter? Via PM? Not everyone has a Twitter and some that do (like me) don't like using it. It should be possible to contact mods about basic communication stuff on the primary forums dedicated to fan/dev interaction. We shouldn't have to go searching for comm devs' social media accounts on all the various platforms and sign up for the service just for possibility of getting an answer to a really simple question. And when the company as a whole has failed so hard and so publically, hell no I'm not going to restrict my questions to private messages so that Ubi won't have to deal with the discomfort of having all our complaints out in the open. We want answers and we want them HERE.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 12:43 AM
I'll just sit down...

http://i26.tinypic.com/rii715.gif

I'm only kidding. ^^

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 12:49 AM
That is very true.

I've had this problem several times.

For example, I voiced my concerns for the initiates chests concept before Unity was even released. But the only reply I got was a dismissive statement. "Bah, you don't even know how it works in game"

And whatdayaknow? It's one of the most hated aspects in the game.

And then there's the blue circle thread. Where people constantly voiced their distaste for the blue ring. But no acknowledgement there despite massive support.

AND WHAT ABOUT ALL THE CONNOR DRAMA? There were SO many threads about that. I had to ask UbiGabe in a twitch stream to get confirmation of no sequel plans. And all I did was ask him a question I asked a thousand times on the forums.

The one time I felt I had my voice heard, it was on a twitch stream. UbiJohkr was kind enough to ask me (without me prompting him to) why I disliked initiates. Pac and I explained why it wasn't working for us and I really appreciated it.

But that kind of engagement is nowhere to be found on the forums.

Thanks for speaking up, sixkeys. I've always been too afraid to come up myself given how some think of me.

Edit:

Also, ComDevs apparently write down what some of the forumers say and send it to the dev team. At least that's what I was told. But we have no idea what those statements are. So plenty of our complaints could be ignored.

Are the complaints about initiates being sent or what? the blue ring? Connor?

And the fact that some have to ask why we have problems with some aspects shows that they arent really listening to the threads.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 01:01 AM
The best comm dev we ever had was Ubi-Valentin. He took over the multiplayer forums a few months before we found out that multiplayer as we knew it had been discontinued. The previous comm dev never addressed fans' questions on the forums, would sometimes address questions on her personal Twitter account and if the people who asked were too persistent (i.e. asked multiple times after never getting an answer anywhere) she would block them and claim harassment.

The multiplayer community was super cynical before Ubi-Valentin stepped in, and he single-handedly raised the public relations image by about 50% simply by directly replying to fans in threads, acknowledging their concerns and keeping them up to date. Even when all he had to say was "sorry, wish I had news to report but we're still working on it", fans were really happy just to get a response. Even when they were angry about their game being broken, they would visibly calm down and say "okay, thanks for the response, glad to hear this is being addressed". Of course, Ubi-Valentin was only involved with the community for a short period before the multiplayer was officially discontinued and all support dropped with barely an acknowledgment. I will remember him fondly.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Yeah, Initiates is just blah...

I tried logging in, but I experienced many issues I can't explain.

Haven't been back since.

Mostly, I'm really thankful to the Devs and co.

But this and other issues regarding patches and stuff?

http://media.tumblr.com/4f473dca404f3c0de3e92941ccba3505/tumblr_inline_ng8kqvY1pU1r8k7l4.gif

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 01:10 AM
Yeah. I feel the current comm devs/mans are just overall too silent, dismissive or sometimes even rude. (not all, but some)

I have genuinely felt belittled by some comm devs/mans passive aggressiveness.

I remember when the first time I joined I posted some deep feelings about AC and because I had a high post count, I was dismissed as a spammer.

I remember when in the BUWYL thread I was talking with others casually and a dev/man randomly approached me and stated how he didnt care what I was talking about.

I remember being ignored when asking questions directly that devs on twitter answered without batting an eye.

I remember when I posted my thoughts on some elements of AC or agreed on others that were slightly negative, a dev/man would get defensive and just tell us we were wrong.

I remember threads full of 100s of pages asking for answers and no dev/man in sight willing to post a single "we'll try to figure something out"

And I find it silly I can only be certain about my voice being heard by contacting devs on twitter/twitch.

Edit:

And I want to say one more thing.

Often I see tweets of UbiCom Devs just doing fun stuff like laser tag or parkour and its like what the hell? So while we're being ignored these guys are just playing around? I understand its fine to have gatherings and such but I honestly see more photos of them chillaxing then helpful replies from them in this past year.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 01:30 AM
And I want to say one more thing.

Often I see tweets of UbiCom Devs just doing fun stuff like laser tag or parkour and its like what the hell? So while we're being ignored these guys are just playing around? I understand its fine to have gatherings and such but I honestly see more photos of them chillaxing then helpful replies from them in this past year.

Yeah, that kind of stuff really isn't helping the company's image. They have time to post all these "oh look what a fun freaking place Ubisoft is to work *frolic* " pics and videos but don't have time to update the fans on patch progress. Leave that stock photo crap in your personal, restricted-access Facebook accounts. Official Twitters should be about addressing fans' concerns.

I-Like-Pie45
12-16-2014, 01:33 AM
That's because Arne is too busy posting his 4-star restaurant meals on Twitter to address your concerns.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Yeah, that kind of stuff really isn't helping the company's image. They have time to post all these "oh look what a fun freaking place Ubisoft is to work *frolic* " pics and videos but don't have time to update the fans on patch progress. Leave that stock photo crap in your personal, restricted-access Facebook accounts. Official Twitters should be about addressing fans' concerns.

Not to mention the only fast way to access them is twitch streams. But its so fake and commercial-y that negative comments regarding AC are certain to be ignored.

And I can't even post in the official AC streams because it's so easy to get banned or have your genuine concerns ignored.

And the twitter Q&As are horrible. They pick and choose questions everybody already freakin knows.

The only place we can discuss our qualms in-depth reliably is here.

and we're being freakin ignored.

RinoTheBouncer
12-16-2014, 01:35 AM
So now we know that it’s been delayed. But any idea on what it’s coming? Nothing indicated whether this “hold” thing is a matter of hours, days or weeks.

HypeR.tgL
12-16-2014, 01:38 AM
And then there's the blue circle thread. Where people constantly voiced their distaste for the blue ring. But no acknowledgement there despite massive support.

Heyo,

I'm not sure if you know or not, but you can turn off that blue ring now by setting all HUD elements off.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 01:39 AM
Heyo,

I'm not sure if you know or not, but you can turn off that blue ring now by setting all HUD elements off.

I am aware.

I'm referring to the fact that there was generally no reply from the ComDevs at the time to calm our fears or get word from Ubi.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/909865-Get-Rid-of-Ugly-Blue-Blending-Circle!/page13

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 01:45 AM
So now we know that it’s been delayed. But any idea on what it’s coming? Nothing indicated whether this “hold” thing is a matter of hours, days or weeks.

It says "a few more days" in the original post; but it's a bit ambiguous as to whether this is the amount of time required by the the map refurbishing alone, or the whole patch.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 01:46 AM
we're being freakin ignored.

Case in point...

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 01:51 AM
And then some had the nerve to comment on threads with like 0 replies/support how they like they're taking the advice into consideration

but plenty of the threads with pages and pages of concerns or questions or requests don't get an ounce of acknowledgement.

what the heck

why

where is the engagement

RinoTheBouncer
12-16-2014, 01:55 AM
It says "a few more days" in the original post; but it's a bit ambiguous as to whether this is the amount of time required by the the map refurbishing alone, or the whole patch.

I just hope it rectifies everything. Luckily, my game wasn’t suffering any connectivity issues nor heavy frame-rate drops nor any game-breaking glitches. But I hope the game gets fixed once and for all so that people start reviewing it for what it really is. To me, the glitches were never a problem, the story, especially the ending and the modern day were. Sadly, no patch can fix those.

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 01:55 AM
That stuff about ComDevs doing lazer tag made me lol. :rolleyes:

But on a more serious note, I agree with what Mayrice, SixKeys, and Nami are saying.

It's crazy how we finally got a word from Ubisoft over the Connor issue, thanks to Mayrice and UbiGabe, and it warranted an entire thread. That's the kind of info we need! We shouldn't have to fit some Twitch stream into our schedules and maybe get our important questions answered only if you are a higher ranking forum member like Mayrice or Humble.

We should be able to get good answers here, and not just from other forumers. This should be a good place to get answers from Ubisoft when we have large threads over issues like the blue ring. That's part of the reason this forum exists.

I love the ComDevs and that they recognize us and want to help us but something's missing. We need answers to our big questions that can be answered simply.

The Twitter Q&A's are horrible so that's why I was looking forward to loomer's interview. He had a pretty great method of picking questions that were highly requested, but sadly most of those were unable to be answered as well. :(

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 01:58 AM
important questions answered only if you are a higher ranking forum member like Mayrice or Humble.

Humble and I don't get our questions answered because of higher ranking. We just are able to ask questions via twitter.

And frankly I hate having to ask the devs via twitter so often. It feels like constant nagging on my end but that's what happens when the ComDevs dont answer simple questions on the forums.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 02:01 AM
What Fans really want to do:

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxvf1qcYYS1qfjkvio2_400.gif

https://33.media.tumblr.com/ffbfa097ebc236dbe06652d98a15312f/tumblr_n2m0t6Sbcq1shelaio1_250.gif

:rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 02:04 AM
And the best part is you can't even complain to the official AC twitter because AC ComDevs run that too.

Darby literally makes a better ComDev than all the ComDevs we've got

He engages with the community.

Like a comdev is supposed to.

(but Johkr is awesome because at least he answers/asks things when he is made aware of them. even if it's hard to reach him.)

KneeDragr
12-16-2014, 02:12 AM
Im glad its delayed. I really like the game and have not had problems with it or experienced bugs ( PS4 version ). Sure it chugs down in some spots, but not bad enough to stop playing.

By 'refurbishing' they mean dumb the art down. So its not going to look as good. I really like how the game looks, and I am not looking forward to a more optimized version that looks worse. The rumor is, too many draw calls, so they will need to reduce the number of unique textures and materials, and likely reduce the number of people.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty sure they mean what they say, when they say that they'll 'refurbish the MAP' -- the in-game map, literally; *not* the 'game world'.

HDinHB
12-16-2014, 02:36 AM
I remember getting Skyrim on release and it being an absolute pile of junk.

I tried replaying the game some six months later and half the problems I was having on release were still there. The same at 12mths.

That game broke the Elder Scrolls for me. I have never bothered with another title, and certainly will never get the dlc's.

Yes, Skyrim was a bugfest at best, and a steaming pile on PS3 even months after release and with multiple patches (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Patches_%28Skyrim%29). It is the only game I have ever played that had so many bugs you could exploit some bugs to overcome other game-breaking bugs.

I haven't had too many problems with Unity, certainly nothing like some people are experiencing. I did fall through the earth into the bottomless pit once, and then fell through the earth into an underground pool where you could look up at the underneath side of Paris (which was quite beautiful and should have been a rift mission), both of those on Day 2. Most of the other issues are typical AC fare that I could ignore (Arno sticking to door frames, walls and chairs too fervently, invisible horses, that sort of thing), and lately he has been sinking knee deep in the street and been unable to move. Overall, I've had a lot of fun. I almost feel guilty, except now I have jinxed myself and will probably find my save corrupted when I get home.

Sejdovic11
12-16-2014, 02:40 AM
I've said that many times, the communication between us, customers and devs is rubbish, and I've been tagged as "Ubisoft hater" or whatever. I mean really, it's a big shame that mods didn't post anything about Patch 4 when it was announced for December 15th, and they didn't post anything when they said that it will bi delayed for God knows how much time. I'm not ashamed of it, I loved Ubisoft's games, I've been playing them since forever, but they have done a lot of things wrong by locking in-game content which I think that I've unlocked when I paid for my game at DAY 1, with those stupid "micro"transactions (I don't know what's so micro there when you are offering $99 worth packages, that just doesn't work in AAA games!!!!)

I mean yeah, I was expecting this patch for a long time, but I'm not THAT mad because it was delayed. This game should be delayed anyway, this shouldn't be released in this condition at all.

Ubisoft, please, get your **** together, you are getting worse and worse with every release, I don't know what is going on with your company, but you became extremely greedy, you are releasing unfinished products, basically beta versions of the games. GET YOUR **** TOGETHER, and communicate with your customers and supporters, at the end, we are paying our hard earnd money for your unfinished products and you'll lose some of the customers because of that, no doubt, I'm one of them.

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 02:44 AM
Humble and I don't get our questions answered because of higher ranking. We just are able to ask questions via twitter.

And frankly I hate having to ask the devs via twitter so often. It feels like constant nagging on my end but that's what happens when the ComDevs dont answer simple questions on the forums.

I was talking about that Twitch stream. UbiGabe knew you as you are a big forumer and answered your question.

And I'm sure the "ranking" has something to do with it. I've experienced it first hand. UbiJohkr or some other ComDev is more likely to talk to me and answer my questions as opposed to someone else's because he knows me better. It's kind of like the "pesky" new forum users who have <20 posts. Those threads are less likely to get replies.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 02:47 AM
I've said that many times, the communication between us, customers and devs is rubbish, and I've been tagged as "Ubisoft hater" or whatever. I mean really, it's a big shame that mods didn't post anything about Patch 4 when it was announced for December 15th, and they didn't post anything when they said that it will bi delayed for God knows how much time. I'm not ashamed of it, I loved Ubisoft's games, I've been playing them since forever, but they have done a lot of things wrong by locking in-game content which I think that I've unlocked when I paid for my game at DAY 1, with those stupid "micro"transactions (I don't know what's so micro there when you are offering $99 worth packages, that just doesn't work in AAA games!!!!)

I mean yeah, I was expecting this patch for a long time, but I'm not THAT mad because it was delayed. This game should be delayed anyway, this shouldn't be released in this condition at all.

Ubisoft, please, get your **** together, you are getting worse and worse with every release, I don't know what is going on with your company, but you became extremely greedy, you are releasing unfinished products, basically beta versions of the games. GET YOUR **** TOGETHER, and communicate with your customers and supporters, at the end, we are paying our hard earnd money for your unfinished products and you'll lose some of the customers because of that, no doubt, I'm one of them.

Yeah, I feel like I'm perceived as a Ubisoft hater too when in reality it's just the inability to communicate I'm frustrated with.

And it doesn't have to be like that.

I mean, I disagree with a TON of Darby's design decisions. I probably agree with him the least out of all the devs. But he's my favorite developer because he actually takes the time to listen to people and be open and he has my ultimate respect for that.

And I'm not able to have that level of communication with ironically any of the ComDevs.

UbiGabe knew you as you are a big forumer and answered your question.

My twitch username is different from my ubiforums name so I doubt that would be the case.

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 02:52 AM
My twitch username is different from my ubiforums name so I doubt that would be the case.

Huh, I thought he'd seen you guys talk enough to know. I must've been thinking of Noah. I'm pretty sure he recognizes you and Humble. UbiJohkr recognized mine instantly but that may be because mine just has two less 9's. I like him. :o

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Oh WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

I knew there'd be a risk to speaking up.

Look.

http://i.imgur.com/EaQ54eR.png

I only ever tagged esco once and that was a long time ago.

All I've ever done was voice my disapproval of initiates with concrete evidence as to why and people openly agreed with me.

And now I am being blocked because my opinion is not in line with that of a community developer.

I honestly can't believe this.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 02:59 AM
pathetic

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 03:00 AM
It's a Conspiracy... :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 03:02 AM
This is so unprofessional I don't know where to even begin.

And it's not even like my statements aren't justifiable.

I gave a 10 page explanation backing me up and people agreed.

Seriously, what the heck.

And I was respectful enough to NEVER tag the initiates twitter account to my disapproval tweets. So there is no excuse of pestering the initiates account or him either.

This is just a situation of not being willing to listen to arguably justifiable criticism.

I haven't checked, but I bet I was banned from the Official Ubisoft Twitch channel too for the same reason

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 03:02 AM
Wow, just wow. I was halfway expecting that. I don't know if that's the best way to go about this situation EscoBlades...

Edit: Should I ask him why? He probably wouldn't respond, but it would let him know we've noticed.

Sejdovic11
12-16-2014, 03:03 AM
Oh WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Look.

All I've ever done was voice my disapproval of initiates with concrete evidence as to why and people openly agreed with me.

And now I am being blocked because my opinion is not in line with that of a community developer.

Don't be surprised, this is commont for them. Like I said, they are getting worse and worse...

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 03:06 AM

Sure, this sort of thing happens on PC all the time. But we're not PC users. I switched to consoles precisely because I was tired of having PC compatibility issues and games released half-baked. When I made the switch, PCs often had these issues, but console games were almost always released in a fully playable state, period. And consoles have one specific set of components, so there's no excuse for this sort of thing when it comes to the Xbox and PS4.

Sejdovic11
12-16-2014, 03:09 AM
So what? Sure, this sort of thing happens on PC all the time. But we're not PC users. I switched to consoles precisely because I was tired of having PC compatibility issues and games released half-baked. When I made the switch, PCs often had these issues, but console games were almost always released in a fully playable state, period. And consoles have one specific set of components, so there's no excuse for this sort of thing when it comes to the Xbox and PS4.

That!!!!!

I understand that you might have some problems with optimization on PC's when there is 1000000 different rigs out there, but can someone tell me how you manage to F-Up it on consoles, when every console is having exactly the same specs?

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 03:09 AM
Luckily, UbiJohkr hasn't done the same thing. As I have said, UbiJohkr has been very open and willing to listen to Pac and I when we talked about initiates.

It just sucks because I know things are going to branch out and I'm going to be blocked from more and more things all because I find a certain element of the franchise to be destructive. The same thing happened to the user Aiden Pierce (but to be fair, I wasn't informed of his situation so I wouldn't know just how much of the blocking was warranted or not)

All I want is the franchise to grow and I have repeated over and over I have nothing but respect for the company as a whole in many regards.

But this kind of stuff just makes me disappointed as a fan to a franchise I hold close to my heart.

Edit:

I understand for personal accounts, people are free to post and do as they please, but when your job is getting feedback from a community, I don't think it's fair to block a supported member of that community just because you do not agree with their opinion.

There is nothing wrong with me hating initiates or wanting to see it shut down. I gave my reasons as to why it's destructive.

And most importantly, people agreed.

So it's essentially covering your ears to feedback which I find to be not right.

Esco if you're here I would in the very least like an explanation and conversation so we can come to terms.

I don't believe in the idea of blocking people off. It's important to hear opinions even if you don't like them.

If you are that upset or offended by my statements, simply let me know. I've said what I needed to say anyway. The least I want to do is make you or anyone else feel like they're being personally attacked.

So if you could just speak up and allow us both to talk things out it would be much appreciated. And it would make things easier for the both of us.

Not trying to belittle you or anyone, but I just feel the need as a fan to speak up.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 03:21 AM
A war is coming...none will make it. :rolleyes:

Nah, not really.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 03:23 AM
Oh WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Look.

Hahahahahahahaha WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

TBH, Esco has a history of passive-aggressive attitude towards fans, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 03:30 AM
I'm just assuming it's the initiates thing because that's the one thing I've ever really slandered that he likes.

But it's like come on, it's just honesty.

Once I had someone come up to me. He told me IRL that he was offended by how I critiqued his work. He said it wasn't constructive and it was discouraging. And I admired him for confronting me about me being possibly insensitive. Ever since then I've been trying to give valid reasons to complaints.

And often I am harsh. Sometimes to the point it comes off as insensitive. I fully understand that. And I do this for impact because I want to get a message across to the community.

But of course, I fully understand how that can be discouraging for some and am open to toning things down if it hurts.

I don't know how involved you are in initiates, Esco. All I know is you do podcasts and use the website.

If you are a developer of it, then yes I can see where the block came from then.

That's fine. As long as I'm not blocked from unrelated Ubisoft places due to my opinion.

So just speak up. As long as it's not belittling. I want to love everyone in the AC community.

And while this doesn't bother me too much, I can easily see this leading to me (arguably unjustly) being blocked by the AC twitter or AC twitch (if I havent been already) because my behavior there is fine. And I don't think it would be fair to punish someone (for an already questionable reason) on unrelated accounts/sites.

I am open to criticism just as much as I criticize AC.

Just speak up, Esco. I'm willing to listen, just as long as we keep ears open on both ends.

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 03:32 AM
Well, this is disappointing.

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 03:36 AM
Oh WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Look.

Ha, this guy is THE most passive aggressive guy EVER. I literally have no idea how he became a com dev. The way he comes across to people is disgusting.

Also just so you know, he blocked me from the AC Initiates twitter at some point during the beta.

Back to Esco, I am not the only person who thinks hes passive aggressive. A lot of forumers have had problems, I have spoken to people outside of the forums about him too just recently. It's pretty shocking.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 03:38 AM
Well this has escalated...

souNdwAve89
12-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Wow.. thanks for the posts, guys. I knew some of Ubisoft's Community Managers or anyone involved in that dept have been wonky, as of it, but I didn't know it has gotten THIS bad. It's so sad how Ubisoft is becoming another DICE.

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 03:39 AM
People have bought up valid points. If it wasnt for me randomly finding this on twitter I wouldnt have known unless one of you were lucky enough to see it too.

There needs to be communication and we seemed to have lost that.

Edit: Yeah Esco blocked me from his twitter and AC Initiates. Fun times, but not a loss at all.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 03:42 AM
I'm not going to really vent anymore about this, but if I find myself blocked from the official AC/Ubisoft/AccessTheAnimus accounts or OfficialACTwitch, then I might speak up more.

Like I said, I don't know if you actually are in the development team for initiates, Esco. And if that's the case, I'm sorry I offended you with my harsh analogies and hyperbolas.

Like whenever I criticize a design choice by Darby, I am careful to inform him it is not with intention to insult him. If you are a dev and had I known, I would have done the same for you. And more than likely strayed from such analogies out of respect. At least on the forums since you oversee them.

And I'm not sure why you decided to block me from twitter when I don't really go out of my way to tag the initiates account or your account when making my arguably justified tweets.

But I do stand by my views.

If we could just talk that would mean a lot to me because I do think you do contribute a lot to the community and the thing I like the least is needless tension.

Edit: Yeah Esco blocked me from his twitter and AC Initiates. Fun times, but not a loss at all.

What's the point of a community developer if he or she does not listen to the community or value their complaints when given evidence and support of others?

I-Like-Pie45
12-16-2014, 03:44 AM
I dunno, Mayo, but when you see them, tell them Eric sent you!

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 03:46 AM
I'm not going to really vent anymore about this, but if I find myself blocked from the official AC/Ubisoft/AccessTheAnimus accounts or OfficialACTwitch, then I might speak up more.

Like I said, I don't know if you actually are in the development team for initiates, Esco. And if that's the case, I'm sorry I offended you with my harsh analogies and hyperbolas.

What's the point of a community developer if he or she does not listen to the community or value their complaints when given evidence and support of others?

Esco doesn't have anything to do with Initiates anymore.

And dont apologise for being harsh, what the? You just contradicted your last sentence. Its criticism, Before you came to the forums I still bashed Initiates, seems he took it heart which is totally the wrong thing to do if you are a com dev as you. Heck, not even a com dev at the time but he was working on an actual Ubi platform.

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-16-2014, 03:47 AM
there is only one line for this for mayrice to say

war..has...already..began

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 03:49 AM
Esco is very heavily involved in Initiates development, or at least he used to be. He got very defensive when some people expressed doubt about whether the site was being worked on at all during its downtime (before Unity's release), giving the impression that the team was hard at work and how all the complainers would be sorry they ever had doubts. Oddly, not a peep from him since the relaunch of Initiates and the tidal wave of complaints started rolling in. :rolleyes:

Srlsy though, if any of the mods are reading this, this is extremely unprofessional, even for Ubisoft. We're looking at another Jim ****ing Sterling, son.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 03:52 AM
Esco doesn't have anything to do with Initiates anymore.

And dont apologise for being harsh, what the? You just contradicted your last sentence. Its criticism, Before you came to the forums I still bashed Initiates, seems he took it heart which is totally the wrong thing to do if you are a com dev as you. Heck, not even a com dev at the time but he was working on an actual Ubi platform.

Well if he isn't a developer of initiates I don't see the reason for him to take it to heart.

If I say something really sucks but then put an arguably compelling argument behind it and have lots of people agree with me, do I really deserve to have my voice completely erased from the spectrum?

Is that fair?

And yeah I know you don't want me to apologize, but I hate stirring up trouble. I honestly just want to make amends.

But I do honestly find the blocking to be unprofessional.

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Esco is very heavily involved in Initiates development, or at least he used to be. He got very defensive when some people expressed doubt about whether the site was being worked on at all during its downtime (before Unity's release), giving the impression that the team was hard at work and how all the complainers would be sorry they ever had doubts. Oddly, not a peep from him since the relaunch of Initiates and the tidal wave of complaints started rolling in. :rolleyes:

Srlsy though, if any of the mods are reading this, this is extremely unprofessional, even for Ubisoft. We're looking at another Jim ****ing Sterling, son.

Was involved. I believe he said he had nothing to do with it in a Twitch stream... I think, he defo said it somewhere. But honestly, we haven't heard a peep from anyone. Alex, the com devs. I would suspect that the com devs would have told us about this delay in the patch or something.

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 03:55 AM
Well if he isn't a developer of initiates I don't see the reason for him to take it to heart.

If I say something really sucks but then put an arguably compelling argument behind it and have lots of people agree with me, do I really deserve to have my voice completely erased from the spectrum?

Is that fair?

And yeah I know you don't want me to apologize, but I hate stirring up trouble. I honestly just want to make amends.

But I do honestly find the blocking to be unprofessional.

Of course its not fair. You're not exactly stirring up trouble, thats what I do. But I have valid reasons too. A lot of the time I wonder if I wasnt so aggressive, no one else would have the balls to say anything. Fact of the matter is, BE AGGRESSIVE. You get heard, for better or for worse.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 03:56 AM
He hasn't blocked me (yet). I don't think he knows my Twitter name. I guess I could ask why Mayrice was blocked and see if that results in me getting banned too, but eh, probably not worth it.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 03:56 AM
I honestly hate that I am genuinely afraid of being blocked/kicked out of the Assassin's Creed community because I spoke up about what I felt is preventing the franchise from growing.

And it hurts even more that people agreed with me.

Because that goes to show im not crazy or alone in that regard. and that goes to show how much certain members of Ubi are really willing to disregard audience if they don't meet their views.

You don't get better as an artist by only listening those who like your work.

And if we as a community cannot voice our problems, then that defeats the purpose of the entire forum.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 03:57 AM
We're looking at another Jim ****ing Sterling, son.

Oh boy, no, at least not yet; I hope things never get ugly like that.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 04:01 AM
I honestly hate that I am genuinely afraid of being blocked/kicked out of the Assassin's Creed community because I spoke up about what I felt is preventing the franchise from growing.

Because that goes to show im not crazy or alone in that regard. and that goes to show how much certain members of Ubi are really willing to listen to their audience.

You don't get better as an artist by only listening those who agree with you.

And if we as a community cannot voice our problems, then that defeats the purpose of the entire forum.

The AssCreed community is more than just these forums or Twitter. You can't be banned everywhere. I can sort of understand comm devs choosing to ban individuals from their personal Twitter feeds (though I still think it's unprofessional) but I don't think you have to worry about being blocked from the official AC or Ubisoft feeds.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 04:05 AM
Oh, Crap.

Now we're saying ASScreed. :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 04:06 AM

Because that goes to show im not crazy or alone in that regard. and that goes to show how much certain members of Ubi are really willing to disregard audience if they don't meet their views.

You don't get better as an artist by only listening those who like your work.

Calm down, Mayrice, it's only Esco. You say this is not bothering you but really, you're showing otherwise. Just relax, you're blowing this out of proportion.

That said, I did indeed notice Esco's recent attitude. It's unprofessional.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 04:07 AM
The AssCreed community is more than just these forums or Twitter. You can't be banned everywhere. I can sort of understand comm devs choosing to ban individuals from their personal Twitter feeds (though I still think it's unprofessional) but I don't think you have to worry about being blocked from the official AC or Ubisoft feeds.

Problem is escoblades frequently streams on the official assassincreed twitch account

And I could easily see myself banned for that very reason

which means I would be excluded from streams where Johkr is in it or where there are giveaways.

that's the real problem for me.

I also hope this doesn't cause a resentment for me from his associates. I know he and loomer are very close. And I'd hate to wake up one morning to see myself blocked from loomer's twitter when I ultimately respect his work.

Those are the main issues for me.

And for all I know, I could be on official AC twitter's ignore list since it's run by AC Com Devs.

I just don't want things to escalate and I never meant direct disrespect for esco when criticizing initiates.

I just find initiates destructive to the franchise and I stand by my claim as a fan.

@M

The fact that I am blocked by esco doesn't bother me.

The fact that I may be blocked by others as a result bothers me.

But I understand.

Hopefully this will all just blow over.

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-16-2014, 04:08 AM
Asscreed :p

http://i.imgur.com/U8Z4d9V.png

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 04:12 AM
^^ very credible.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 04:13 AM
So.....patch 4 amiright? :rolleyes:

I don't really care about the patches TBH. I barely notice a difference when playing.

Like I said before I only experienced a few glitches and the real issue for me will always be transmedia.

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 04:16 AM

Calm yo self. I'm still here and I've said way worse.

But yes, on to patch 4! At least Dead Kings is arriving this week. Looks like the rumour of Patch 4 and Dead Kings coming together was true. I expect the patch Friday earliest.

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 04:16 AM

Both of these are great points I agree with. If Escoblades is a big dev at Initiates then I too, may be saddened, but that'd his job. He shouldn't block users because they disagree with Initiates. You even had justifiable points people agreed with.

I wish EscoBlades would just talk to us. Like a ComDev should.

@Wolverine

Can we show that... :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 04:18 AM
Calm yo self. I'm still here and I've said way worse.

But yes, on to patch 4! At least Dead Kings is arriving this week. Looks like the rumour of Patch 4 and Dead Kings coming together was true. I expect the patch Friday earliest.

Thanks man. That's reassuring.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb6oi8k0Y81rtc9of.gif

Least thing I want is to provoke hostility.

and WIDDLY WIDDLY WHAT!?

Dead kings is this week?!!? where'd it say that? *checks OP*

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 04:20 AM
At least Dead Kings is arriving this week.

Oh, really?

I haven't noticed. :rolleyes:

Everyone's been talking about everything else but it really.

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 04:20 AM
and WIDDLY WIDDLY WHAT!?

Dead kings is this week?!!? where'd it say that? *checks OP*

Lol, that's the greatest reaction EVER. I had the same. I've heard nothing of Dead Kings. :p

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 04:21 AM
Looks like the rumour of Patch 4 and Dead Kings coming together was true. I expect the patch Friday earliest.

How did you infer that from the release?
Was it mentioned anywhere else?

The 'official' QA still says, "*when* it's available, this is how you'll be able to download it", etc.

I think people will finally get their free games this week; no Françiade yet.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 04:23 AM
I think people will finally get their free games this week;

About time.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Hopefully this relives SOME of the tension...

Jesus.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Jesus.

Right with the christmas spirit :rolleyes:

EscoBlades
12-16-2014, 04:32 AM
I've PMed pacman and Mayrice individually.

To SixKeys, thank you for the constructive and honest feedback. I'll try and address it in due time (tonight if possible)

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Hopefully this relives SOME of the tension...

https://31.media.tumblr.com/5ee986b4a66c427f0561c9093f68d649/tumblr_inline_mxxuojY1RO1rnlkvw.gif

I second the widdly widdly WHAT for Dead Kings. I guess Ubi have been so busy dealing with the controversy they haven't had time (or were afraid to) advertise the DLC. I'm looking forward to it. I've been wanting to see Jeffrey Yohalem back as a writer on AC forever. Het gets a lot of flak here for ACB's story, but I don't know how much he was responsible for it, and The Lost Archive's development was a mess overall. He's written some good games when left to his own devices, so I think the more troubled AC stuff could be down to development problems he wasn't responsible for. Dead Kings could finally give us a fair assessment of his writing skills.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 04:39 AM
Can someone please tell where they've heard about Dead Kings coming out?

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 04:39 AM
Right with the christmas spirit :rolleyes:

Man of Comets help us in this time of need. :rolleyes:

https://31.media.tumblr.com/5ee986b4a66c427f0561c9093f68d649/tumblr_inline_mxxuojY1RO1rnlkvw.gif

:rolleyes:

But yeah, the Dead Kings thing shocks me too.

We're like the Assassins & Templars.

Spending our time on this controversy while completely ignoring Dead Kings.

We should be ashamed. :rolleyes: :cool:

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 04:44 AM
All is good now.

T'was a misunderstanding coupled with miscommunication.

Thank you esco for informing me.

So anyway, where was Dead Kings said to be released this week?

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 04:46 AM

I'm not sure, but maybe they're just inferring it from this article (http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:154-188535-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32) which was updated on the 11th.

Edit: Wait, suddenly I'm confused. I'm not sure if the article was updated on Dec 11th or November 12th (depends on your location how you read it, I guess). If it's an old announcement, I guess it can't be that.

On Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-patch-delayed-as-game-continues-t-1671315292) they said: "Also, just as a reminder to Unity players: this is the week that Ubisoft's free DLC offer is supposed to kick in. Find out how to get your copy of the Dead Kings DLC, or another free Ubisoft game if you're already a Unity season pass owner, over at the company's FAQ page (http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:154-188535-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32) for the topic. "

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 04:48 AM
^ What happened to our Revolution, May? :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 04:48 AM
^ What happened to our Revolution, May? :rolleyes:

Peace treaties can always be negotiated.

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 04:50 AM
Peace treaties can always be negotiated.

I'll have Golden make the papers...

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 04:53 AM
I'll have Golden make the papers...

Hah, that's what someone would say to me IRL. ^^

Ichrukia56
12-16-2014, 05:04 AM

I second the widdly widdly WHAT for Dead Kings. I guess Ubi have been so busy dealing with the controversy they haven't had time (or were afraid to) advertise the DLC. I'm looking forward to it. I've been wanting to see Jeffrey Yohalem back as a writer on AC forever. Het gets a lot of flak here for ACB's story, but I don't know how much he was responsible for it, and The Lost Archive's development was a mess overall. He's written some good games when left to his own devices, so I think the more troubled AC stuff could be down to development problems he wasn't responsible for. Dead Kings could finally give us a fair assessment of his writing skills.

jeffrey yohalem was a writer for Unity so was Darby as well look in the credits of the game :)

EscoBlades
12-16-2014, 05:05 AM
I'm not sure, but maybe they're just inferring it from this article (http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-GB/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:154-188535-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32) which was updated on the 11th.

Edit: Wait, suddenly I'm confused. I'm not sure if the article was updated on Dec 11th or November 12th (depends on your location how you read it, I guess). If it's an old announcement, I guess it can't be that.

We haven't specifically announced the release date of the Dead Kings DLC yet. However, you are right in that we updated the FAQ on the Live Updates blog with further details of the redemption of the free gift offer. Especially the following points:

From next week, you will be able to connect to a dedicated website to log in and select the free game of your choice.

How do I get the Dead Kings DLC*?
Xbox One
Once available, the Dead Kings DLC will be listed as an add-on in the Xbox One Marketplace. There will also be a link from the in-game menu.

PlayStation 4
Once available, the Dead Kings DLC will be listed as an add-on in the PlayStation store. You will also find a link from the in-game menu.

PC
Once available, the Dead Kings DLC will be listed as an add-on within Uplay or in the Steam store from the ACU product page depending on where you purchased the game. You will also find a link from the in-game menu.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 05:11 AM
Okay, thanks for the update.

jeffrey yohalem was a writer for Unity so was Darby as well look in the credits of the game http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/smile.png

I think they were more like story consultants, i.e. basically making sure the lore stays consistent. The head writer is usually the one responsible for the bulk of the script.

GoldenBoy9999
12-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Yeah, thanks. I've been wondering when we could get the free game.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 05:15 AM
I take everything I ever said about escoblades back.

Seriously, thanks man.

But yeah I was about to say...the Dead Kings DLC release date was never announced, lol.

Hopefully the game compensation will come soon.

TahjaEstes
12-16-2014, 05:18 AM

Jeez.

Gonna give Ubisoft the benefit of the doubt here... I agree with the logic of waiting a little longer to get a better product. As long as they aren't pushing it back two weeks or a month or anything absurd, then okay.

I'm also going to hold out hope that refurbishing the map means they're giving us more areas to play in, new co-op missions, etc. to give people who've already played them two, three, four+ times over something new to do.

... And finally, I'm choosing to believe that when they talk about our feedback that they took some of the suggestions to heart and are implementing them with the new patch (whistling and hiding bodies whistling and hiding bodies whistling and hiding bodies WHISTLING AND HIDING BODIES!!!).

IDK man fingers crossed.

Oh hey look the captcha feature is gone. When did that happen?

Namikaze_17
12-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Hah, that's what someone would say to me IRL. ^^

You know it! :cool:

Now get to printing...

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 05:35 AM

Also, just as a reminder to Unity players: this is the week that Ubisoft's free DLC offer is supposed to kick in.

http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-unity-patch-delayed-as-game-continues-t-1671315292

Edit: Btw im still saying this as rumour, however this article went up today and seems pretty certain it is coming this week.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 05:39 AM
I hope it comes out when it's ready.

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 05:41 AM

I think it's really hard to tell what kind of writer Yohalem is yet, but like you I'm glad to see him back and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the story now. Every major story he's done has had some kind of weirdness built in. Far Cry 3 walked this odd and sometimes blurry line between parodies of the kind of destructive cultural "othering" in western blockbuster action movies, and inadvertent repetitions of the same follies. I love Child Of Light but the self-imposed task of ensuring that every line rhymed proved to be too much for him, and it constantly drew attnetion to his technical limitations as a writer. A lot of words and phrases are misused in CoL, but the overall package is wonderful.

I really liked Brotherhood, and a large part of that is for the reasons that other people hate it. I think he correctly realised that there was little point in making a serious story about the infamously wacky Borgias in the midst of a game that's couched in so much silliness anyway. It baffles me that people go on about "VITTORIA AGLI ASSASSINI!" and the Borgia family's scenery-chewing as though these things had somehow escaped the writer's attention, as though he didn't know he was writing a pantomime. I think Yohalem was chuckling up his sleeve at every single cry of "GUARDS!" and every swish of Cesare's cape. He hit a great balance between the dark elements and the swivel-eyed lunacy. If you look at the whole game's story as a machine, with the various gears engaging and disengaging, he did an incredible job with Brotherhood. The player has a huge amount of leeway to hop between different areas of the story via the mission types, and despite the iffy standards of side content mission design I rarely got the sense that the energy was flagging in the game. It always felt like I was stepping towards another interesting thing. If he can do that with a serious story too, then I'm keen to see that.

Minsooky
12-16-2014, 05:58 AM
I guess part of me is like "Well I guess they're delaying it for a *good* reason." But the other part of me is shaking my head at how much is wrong with this game. Christ, should've just delayed the game 6 months or more then releasing it the way it was then trying to send out multiple patches for it. Not thrilled to drop $60+ dollars on a game to not get a polished product.

Shahkulu101
12-16-2014, 06:04 AM
^ I'm fully aware Brotherhood was intended to be written that way, doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't particularly dislike it either, Cesare is entertaining when it comes down to it and it melds very well with the gameplay. I just found it profoundly uninteresting. AC2 had the same approach to the villains and was more light hearted in it's dialogue but at least there were engaging narrative threads keeping you on your toes.

FatiguedEnigma
12-16-2014, 06:16 AM
I'm so F'N DONE!!!! HURRY UP

Mr.Black24
12-16-2014, 06:50 AM
So I finally purchased my Nividia Geforce 970 GTX from TigerDirect, of course I'm getting AC Unity for free. Hopefully I get it around the time that the patch is up. I hear a lot of good and bad things about the game, mixed results really. I'm a cautious optimist, so hopefully this game is at least good enough. But from you guys, it kinds of scares me.

Can anyone ask if there is more DLC coming up other than China and Dead Kings? I know they said more is coming in the Season Pass trailer, but any new news on it so far? *Cross fingers of a Connor/Esoesa DLC, have Shay and Aveline as well plz*

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 07:36 AM
I really liked Brotherhood, and a large part of that is for the reasons that other people hate it. I think he correctly realised that there was little point in making a serious story about the infamously wacky Borgias in the midst of a game that's couched in so much silliness anyway. It baffles me that people go on about "VITTORIA AGLI ASSASSINI!" and the Borgia family's scenery-chewing as though these things had somehow escaped the writer's attention, as though he didn't know he was writing a pantomime. I think Yohalem was chuckling up his sleeve at every single cry of "GUARDS!" and every swish of Cesare's cape. He hit a great balance between the dark elements and the swivel-eyed lunacy. If you look at the whole game's story as a machine, with the various gears engaging and disengaging, he did an incredible job with Brotherhood. The player has a huge amount of leeway to hop between different areas of the story via the mission types, and despite the iffy standards of side content mission design I rarely got the sense that the energy was flagging in the game. It always felt like I was stepping towards another interesting thing. If he can do that with a serious story too, then I'm keen to see that.

My soulmate!

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131115040453/vampirediaries/images/c/c0/Kristen-Bell-Happy-Tears.gif

I totally agree. The over-the-topness is one of the reasons I love Brotherhood so much. It's really not much sillier than AC2, which was like a love letter to old swashbuckling Hollywood movies. We're talking about a game where you can drive a tank and shoot with machine guns in 15th century Italy and pull a parachute out of your *** at will to float to safety and people complain that the Borgias are unrealistic?

I don't even have anything more to say, you already said it all. :)

UbiJustin
12-16-2014, 07:36 AM
I'll be upset if this means a downgrade.

I'm even more upset that this thread had to be created by FANS instead of the forum mods or comm devs.

Mr_Shade, Widow, UbiJohkr, Escoblades et al: I know you're all good people, but to be perfectly frank, you're not doing your job well. You create sticky threads to advertise new games or DLC but won't create sticky threads telling us that the latest patch has been delayed. Fans have to rely on other fans for news, workarounds for performance issues, etc. You make it a point to always mention that "Ubisoft does not comment on rumors and speculation" when fans are spreading unconfirmed information, but you refuse to even tell us when official, confirmed information regarding Ubisoft products are released. Comm devs create videos where they parkour through obstacle courses to promote the game, but after it's released, they can't be bothered to fix Initiates or respond to complaints about the companion app (there's a 70-plus-page thread on the mobile forum with several people saying the app hasn't worked for more than a week, and no response from Ubi)..

Frankly, I am beyond pissed right now. Not at Unity devs because I'm sure those guys didn't want to release a broken game. I'm pissed at the higher-ups who forced them to release the game before it was ready, and I'm pissed at the comm devs for their silence and refusal to interact with the fans on even the most basic level. There are how many of you guys now? I know you recently made the team bigger. Not one of you has the time to post an official update here on the forums? Not one of you can be bothered to create a rudimentary FAQ to answer some of the most common questions asked by fans about the latest patch, app issues, Initiates progress etc.? This may seem harsh and I wish I didn't have to be because I want to like you guys, but more and more often I find myself asknig the question: what DO you guys do all day if interacting with fans is not part of your job description anymore?

The fact that a post is created by the fans speaks more about the fans than it does us. You guys are the life blood of these forums and the speed at which you post is incredible. The passion that you post with fills my heart with joy because I know this community cares. And yes, rage/ranting is a form a passion. I have been in enough communities as a fan and/or CM to notice when a community is a driven one with a true desire for the game, brand, and people at the company. It is you that drive this community and we're just here to make sure all your hands and feet are inside the vehicle at all times.

And I totally understand how you feel as several issues are still persisting. The communication surrounding a new patch, update, announcement or anything really has to go through several levels and a lot of times it is much more complicated than it may seem. Every day I come into the office and pour over comments and feedback. Many times I'll be in the tech support forums responding to users there as those are seen as high importance at this time. A lot of times, I will be moderating the Live Updates Blog, responding directly to as many posts as I can respond to. Other times it's Twitter via the AC brand. Other times it's Facebook comments. Other times it's Reddit. Some times we're in the midst of planning for future community events, such as the three weekly live streams we host and others that I can't talk about. Specifically, for me, I spend a lot of my time consolidating feedback from the forums and providing that to the developers. The words, ideas, and opinions all of you have directly dictate the direction of the game. If we have given the above perception, then I apologize, but I don't need to defend my job or the jobs of my co-workers as they are hard working individuals. That being said, I will take this feedback to heart, SixKeys, and we can discuss ways to rectify this.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 07:44 AM
I've only been here for like half a year but this is the most intimate ComDevs have been with the fanbase I've seen in this forum and I really appreciate that.

Latte10010
12-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us, and your feedback over these past weeks has indicated that it is important to you as well.

Is this colloquial English?
If this sounds intelligent and persuasive, I'd love to use it time to time
"Rigorous quality control" "paramount importance" wow!

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 08:13 AM
The fact that a post is created by the fans speaks more about the fans than it does us. You guys are the life blood of these forums and the speed at which you post is incredible. The passion that you post with fills my heart with joy because I know this community cares. And yes, rage/ranting is a form a passion. I have been in enough communities as a fan and/or CM to notice when a community is a driven one with a true desire for the game, brand, and people at the company. It is you that drive this community and we're just here to make sure all your hands and feet are inside the vehicle at all times.

And I totally understand how you feel as several issues are still persisting. The communication surrounding a new patch, update, announcement or anything really has to go through several levels and a lot of times it is much more complicated than it may seem. Every day I come into the office and pour over comments and feedback. Many times I'll be in the tech support forums responding to users there as those are seen as high importance at this time. A lot of times, I will be moderating the Live Updates Blog, responding directly to as many posts as I can respond to. Other times it's Twitter via the AC brand. Other times it's Facebook comments. Other times it's Reddit. Some times we're in the midst of planning for future community events, such as the three weekly live streams we host and others that I can't talk about. Specifically, for me, I spend a lot of my time consolidating feedback from the forums and providing that to the developers. The words, ideas, and opinions all of you have directly dictate the direction of the game. If we have given the above perception, then I apologize, but I don't need to defend my job or the jobs of my co-workers as they are hard working individuals. That being said, I will take this feedback to heart, SixKeys, and we can discuss ways to rectify this.

See, this is the kind of response I appreciate. It lets us know what you guys have been up to and why there isn't always sufficient communication across all the different sites where fans and devs interact with each other (Reddit, Tumblr, forums etc.).

I'm not just talking about recent behavior though, this is how things have always been for as long as I've been a member on these forums. Some threads with valid complaints about bugs and such go on for 50 pages and no comm dev ever drops by to say "hi, we're listening to your feedback, keep it coming, guys". A simple acknowledgment like that would go a long way. Then at the same time when this one cluster-F of a thread is happening, one person who just joined that same day and has only one post, posts a thread simply saying "hey, I love this game, thanks Ubisoft!", a comm dev will immediately acknowledge the thread and reply with "hi, thanks for the feedback, we'll forward it to the team".

This gives the impression that only praise is being taken into account while serious issues go ignored. I'm not saying a mod should post an update on every page in a 70-page thread, but even once or twice would be something.

A good solution IMO would be to create a sticky thread for some of the most pressing questions at the moment, a simple FAQ that mods could update every time there's a new development worth mentioning. A lot of people are currently wondering about their free game and the upcoming DLC. Even if you can't give us a date yet, it would surely help if our concerns were acknowledged in a sticky thread with a simple "we can't give an ETA on the free game and DLC yet, but we will update this post as soon as we have something to confirm". I know Esco mentioned something like that in this thread a few pages back, but keeping it all in one official thread would be better than people having to dig through the forum.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 08:17 AM
I'm not just talking about recent behavior though, this is how things have always been for as long as I've been a member on these forums. Some threads with valid complaints about bugs and such go on for 50 pages and no comm dev ever drops by to say "hi, we're listening to your feedback, keep it coming, guys". A simple acknowledgment like that would go a long way. Then at the same time when this one cluster-F of a thread is happening, one person who just joined that same day and has only one post, posts a thread simply saying "hey, I love this game, thanks Ubisoft!", a comm dev will immediately acknowledge the thread and reply with "hi, thanks for the feedback, we'll forward it to the team".

This gives the impression that only praise is being taken into account while serious issues go ignored. I'm not saying a mod should post an update on every page in a 70-page thread, but even once or twice would be something.

thank god I wasnt the only one who felt this way

A good solution IMO would be to create a sticky thread for some of the most pressing questions at the moment, a simple FAQ that mods could update every time there's a new development worth mentioning. A lot of people are currently wondering about their free game and the upcoming DLC. Even if you can't give us a date yet, it would surely help if our concerns were acknowledged in a sticky thread with a simple "we can't give an ETA on the free game and DLC yet, but we will update this post as soon as we have something to confirm". I know Esco mentioned something like that in this thread a few pages back, but keeping it all in one official thread would be better than people having to dig through the forum.

My only request is actual ComDev presence.

Because I often forget there are actual ComDevs here sometimes because it's so silent.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 08:43 AM
My only request is actual ComDev presence.

Because I often forget there are actual ComDevs here sometimes because it's so silent.

^ This too. The comm dev team is apparently bigger than ever but the only one who regularly posts on the forums is Mr_Shade, and even then it's usually to moderate flame wars, not to address civil questions. I thought UbiGabe had been fired at some point because I never saw him anywhere anymore.

I realize it's not easy having to moderate and intensely follow several different sites simultaneously, but frankly the forums should be a high priority. People who join the official forums for any game are usually the most passionate fans, looking for a direct communication link between themselves and the devs. Sites like Twitter and Facebook are more chaotic, they're meant for fast communication so they're not usually about in-depth critique of the strengths and flaws of each game. They're questions people quickly type on their phone while on the train: "hey can any1 tell me how to unlock altairs armor???" If the devs are interested in in-depth feedback, Reddit and the forums should be high priority.

I'm not trying to be elitist and say "ignore those Twitter peasants, we're the TRUE fans!". Rather, I think devs should take a look at the various platforms and consider how best to use them to improve communication. Which platform is best for addressing technical problems? Probably Twitter, as that allows for quick, concise updates on issues that everyone is interested in. Which platform is best for advertising a new game or upcoming DLC? Probably Facebook as it's designed for sharing. Which platform is best for addressing and receiving in-depth critique from fans about the game? Probably the forums, as it allows for longer, more thought-out posts and back-and-forth conversation between different viewpoints.

Right now it seems every platform is being used for all these things to varying degrees of success. The Twitter feed is used both for notifying users about important technical issues (like server downtime or patches) and also to advertise a Twitch stream where comm devs are just having fun. This doesn't give a unified picture of the general atmosphere in the company: is Ubisoft hard at work fixing problems or are they too busy playing games for fun? Consistency is key.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I thought UbiGabe had been fired at some point because I never saw him anywhere anymore.

lol I didn't even know who UbiGabe was until Pac mentioned him that one time. Then I saw his twitter and was like "oh. who is this guy and why does he have so many followers?" lol

Haven't seen black widow in forever. Last time I saw her was a while ago when she gave me an infraction which was then retracted after I complained it was unfair.

Mr_shade doesn't post often. I mean compared to everyone else yeah but there are times where I'm like "oh yeah Mr_shade moderates here"

UbiJohkr I think I've seen post like a total of 3 times, lol. I only found out about his existence via twitch stream. Practically a ghost.

Same with Esco.

I don't even know who the other ComDevs/Mans are. I know there's the one that starts with a V but I don't know if that's a staff account or one person runs it or what.

So yeah, feels generally empty.

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-16-2014, 08:51 AM
lol I didn't even know who UbiGabe was until Pac mentioned him that one time. Then I saw his twitter and was like "oh. who is this guy and why does he have so many followers?" lol

Haven't seen black widow in forever. Last time I saw her was a while ago when she gave me an infraction which was then retracted after I complained it was unfair.

Mr_shade doesn't post often. I mean compared to everyone else yeah but there are times where I'm like "oh yeah Mr_shade moderates here"

UbiJohkr I think I've seen post like a total of 3 times, lol. I only found out about his existence via twitch stream. Practically a ghost.

Same with Esco.

I don't even know who the other ComDevs/Mans are. I know there's the one that starts with a V but I don't know if that's a staff account or one person runs it or what.

they were all around for a while then it went silent

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 08:54 AM
they were all around for a while then it went silent

I think I joined when BW and Shade were relatively active.

And bits of esco here and there.

I mainly just see bitebug consistantly. But s/he's just a moderator. Same with loco.

SixKeys
12-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Same with Esco.

I'm not sure Widow is still a mod. I have a vague idea she left at some point. She's still listed as a moderator though, which is odd.

Shade has never been a power-poster (not like us, lol) but he's been especially quiet ever since Unity's release. I just assumed he was on holiday, but who knows. We definitely need a stronger presence here on the forums.

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 08:57 AM
We definitely need a stronger presence here on the forums.

Amen.

I'm confident we'll see some sort of change by tomorrow.

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-16-2014, 09:03 AM
we need a comdev who is one of us ...just an idea

Rafe Harwood
12-16-2014, 10:14 AM
^ This too. The comm dev team is apparently bigger than ever but the only one who regularly posts on the forums is Mr_Shade, and even then it's usually to moderate flame wars, not to address civil questions. I thought UbiGabe had been fired at some point because I never saw him anywhere anymore.

I realize it's not easy having to moderate and intensely follow several different sites simultaneously, but frankly the forums should be a high priority. People who join the official forums for any game are usually the most passionate fans, looking for a direct communication link between themselves and the devs. Sites like Twitter and Facebook are more chaotic, they're meant for fast communication so they're not usually about in-depth critique of the strengths and flaws of each game. They're questions people quickly type on their phone while on the train: "hey can any1 tell me how to unlock altairs armor???" If the devs are interested in in-depth feedback, Reddit and the forums should be high priority.

I'm not trying to be elitist and say "ignore those Twitter peasants, we're the TRUE fans!". Rather, I think devs should take a look at the various platforms and consider how best to use them to improve communication. Which platform is best for addressing technical problems? Probably Twitter, as that allows for quick, concise updates on issues that everyone is interested in. Which platform is best for advertising a new game or upcoming DLC? Probably Facebook as it's designed for sharing. Which platform is best for addressing and receiving in-depth critique from fans about the game? Probably the forums, as it allows for longer, more thought-out posts and back-and-forth conversation between different viewpoints.

Right now it seems every platform is being used for all these things to varying degrees of success. The Twitter feed is used both for notifying users about important technical issues (like server downtime or patches) and also to advertise a Twitch stream where comm devs are just having fun. This doesn't give a unified picture of the general atmosphere in the company: is Ubisoft hard at work fixing problems or are they too busy playing games for fun? Consistency is key.

Hmm...

I strongly disagree with a platform specific range of q/a's.

There is no excuse at all for the information to not be available on all forms of comms. Some of us don't like having to use twitter. Some of us don't want to have to use fb. Some of us 'only' want to use this forum, because it is the ubi forum.

Do not seperate out the information.

We understand there is a lot to do. Welcome to the world of being a working age adult. Now get the HR team to hire enough people to cover all these platforms that are 'your choice' to cover for PR.

You don't say you spend all day looking at this, this, this, this and that, with no time for responding adequately on anything. That's just plain not getting the job done.

Assign a different dev a set of platforms to look after and make sure they aren't bogged down with having to try and cover more things than can actually be coped with.

Having every person cover all outlets/sources.platforms will 'obviously' lead to complete failure. It's not rocket science.

That being said, There are things I have read in this thread with regards to com devs playing the game/s and joinging in, and to tbh, even with the troubles that seem to be around right now, I have no problem with that and think it's a non-issue because getting involved with the community is kind of the point/job.

dxsxhxcx
12-16-2014, 10:15 AM
just start creating new and pointless threads and they'll come as quickly as they can... /jk :p

Bitebug has been posting quite often lately and surprisingly enough (in a good way) his/her posts about the game aren't always those you would "expect" from someone who works for Ubisoft (always defending the company or trying not to express his/her personal opinion about something), what I think it's great!

Rafe Harwood
12-16-2014, 10:20 AM
just start creating new and pointless threads and they'll come as quickly as they can... /jk :p

Bitebug has been posting quite often lately and surprisingly enough (in a good way) his/her posts about the game aren't always those you would "expect" from someone who works for Ubisoft (always defending the company or trying not to express his/her personal opinion about something), what I think it's great!

I wasn't sure bitebug actually 'works' for ubi. I figured they were just a helpful forum user who was given some mod powers to help out.

Whichever way, they are really easy and pleasant to interact with :)

Mr_Shade
12-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Shade has never been a power-poster (not like us, lol) but he's been especially quiet ever since Unity's release. I just assumed he was on holiday, but who knows. We definitely need a stronger presence here on the forums.No, I'm here..

Just being a Community Manager, means managing the Community - not just the forums.. so I'm active in a few places.. Live Update site, Facebook, Twitter and I've been pretty active in the Support forum, helping people, especially with lost shipments etc - So, I'm sorry if you missed me - I'm always answering PM's though ;)

And not being a 'power poster' doesn't mean I'm not active, rather than chit chat in here, I'm helping people - But, we are constantly reading threads and sending feedback ;)

I'm sure you all would agree - it's pretty hectic with the game as it is and it's important that as many people get answers to their concerns in as many places as possible - when things calm down, we can start focusing on doing community events and other things with you guys

At present, the teams main concern is to get people playing, so helping as many people in as many places as possible and also get the compensation underway, for those who have had to deal with the issues since launch.

Also there are a few others, who have been posting, in various places - here especially, along with the normal Moderation team - who can flag concerns or questions to us anyway.

When we can, we do answer questions and interact - and we are working hard behind to scenes to get things moving on patches and free DLC/Titles. ;)

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 11:08 AM
I guess part of me is like "Well I guess they're delaying it for a *good* reason." But the other part of me is shaking my head at how much is wrong with this game. Christ, should've just delayed the game 6 months or more then releasing it the way it was then trying to send out multiple patches for it. Not thrilled to drop $60+ dollars on a game to not get a polished product.

Agreed. And the thing is, a patched game is never anywhere near as finished as it was intended to be. Patch teams are essentially skeleton crews, brought in to do quick and dirty fixes to get a game working at the bare minimum level. While we'll see bug fixes (and maybe a few gameplay changes if we're lucky), we'll never see Unity anywhere near what it should have been, because Unity is getting worked on by a few people for a month or so, rather than a full team for the six months this game needed in order to be fully finished.

dex3108
12-16-2014, 11:43 AM
I don't have issues with delays they are perfectly normal, also i don't have issues with ComDevs they are nice people and they communicate often with us with data and informations they have access to.

Main issue in my opinion is too much levels for internal information chain. We got Patch 4 release date last Friday and if i remember correctly that info was published late (if we look Montreal time zone). As far as i know Ubi is not working over the weekend, a may be wrong because there are situations when devs are working late and over the weekend to finish things as soon as they can. If they didn't work over the weekend ComDevs had really old info on Friday because i am sure that devs knew on Friday that Patch 4 won't be ready for Monday.

But even that is not big issue for me. Big issue for me is therm Refurbished Map. In my opinion when you announce something like that better have answer what that means exactly. I am sure we will have more info when they release Patch Changelog but now i am thinking what they will Refurbish. Does that mean removing geometry from game, lowering texture resolution, lowering NPC count, changing polycount on models or something else? I would love to hear member of development team explaining what they will do and how they will improve state of the game and why those things are necessary for performance improvements. As much as ComDevs are informing as accurately i am always for experts opinion (in this case member of the Patch dev team).

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 11:55 AM
But even that is not big issue for me. Big issue for me is therm Refurbished Map. In my opinion when you announce something like that better have answer what that means exactly. I am sure we will have more info when they release Patch Changelog but now i am thinking what they will Refurbish. Does that mean removing geometry from game, lowering texture resolution, lowering NPC count, changing polycount on models or something else? I would love to hear member of development team explaining what they will do and how they will improve state of the game and why those things are necessary for performance improvements. As much as ComDevs are informing as accurately i am always for experts opinion (in this member of the Patch dev team).

When they say 'map', I'm sure they mean the in-game *map*; not the game *world* as such.

Mr_Shade
12-16-2014, 11:59 AM
I don't have issues with delays they are perfectly normal, also i don't have issues with ComDevs they are nice people and they communicate often with us with data and informations they have access to.

Main issue in my opinion is too much levels for internal information chain. We got Patch 4 release date last Friday and if i remember correctly that info was published late (if we look Montreal time zone). As far as i know Ubi is not working over the weekend, a may be wrong because there are situations when devs are working late and over the weekend to finish things as soon as they can. If they didn't work over the weekend ComDevs had really old info on Friday because i am sure that devs knew on Friday that Patch 4 won't be ready for Monday.

But even that is not big issue for me. Big issue for me is therm Refurbished Map. In my opinion when you announce something like that better have answer what that means exactly. I am sure we will have more info when they release Patch Changelog but now i am thinking what they will Refurbish. Does that mean removing geometry from game, lowering texture resolution, lowering NPC count, changing polycount on models or something else? I would love to hear member of development team explaining what they will do and how they will improve state of the game and why those things are necessary for performance improvements. As much as ComDevs are informing as accurately i am always for experts opinion (in this member of the Patch dev team).

The release of patch 4 - was on course over the weekend for the 15th, however testing was carried out over the weekend, since the team have tried to ensure the patch was 110% ready - and wanted to test as much as possible to avoid any other issues from occurring.

I have asked for clarification on what 'Refurbishing' may mean to the player.

When they say 'map', I'm sure they mean the in-game *map*; not the game *world* as such.
It is the in game world, eg. Paris, since the 'map' wouldn't affect game play.

wvstolzing
12-16-2014, 12:11 PM

The in-game map need some fixing, as some landmarks are indicated only by their placeholder names. I was thinking that perhaps they'll be fixing those, making the filters more useable, etc. (In any case, it strikes me as odd, that anyone should refer to the 'city' as a 'map'.)

Pr0metheus 1962
12-16-2014, 12:49 PM
The in-game map need some fixing, as some landmarks are indicated only by their placeholder names. I was thinking that perhaps they'll be fixing those, making the filters more useable, etc. (In any case, it strikes me as odd, that anyone should refer to the 'city' as a 'map'.)

Yeah. The map filters are virtually useless. But hey, I guess they have bigger fish to fry.

ecocrash
12-16-2014, 12:51 PM

I think the devs have said that reducing crowds doesn't have much effect on framerate, etc, but I reckon they could reduce the amount of the passers by/walkers in some areas, but the crowds such as those gathering to hear the revolutionary speakers, debating, attacking the Bastille, etc, etc, are what makes the game so atmospheric and alive, do keep them.

bitebug2003
12-16-2014, 02:25 PM

I wasn't sure bitebug actually 'works' for ubi. I figured they were just a helpful forum user who was given some mod powers to help out.

Whichever way, they are really easy and pleasant to interact with :)

Thank you :)

KneeDragr
12-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty sure they mean what they say, when they say that they'll 'refurbish the MAP' -- the in-game map, literally; *not* the 'game world'.

I doubt it, the 'in game map' is just a big texture image with some other texture icons placed on it. Its rendering cost is likely insignificant. .

KneeDragr
12-16-2014, 03:14 PM

I've worked in the industry and its a commonly used term to describe a level as a 'map'.

bitebug2003
12-16-2014, 03:18 PM
KneeDragr, by in-game map do you mean the mini-map or the map you access by pressing the touchpad (PS4)

I have noticed that the PS4 Fan revs up when in the menus (love the menu music btw)

almost certain it's been noticed by more people.

Jackdaw951
12-16-2014, 03:29 PM
I doubt it, the 'in game map' is just a big texture image with some other texture icons placed on it. Its rendering cost is likely insignificant. .

"Originally Posted by wvstolzing
When they say 'map', I'm sure they mean the in-game *map*; not the game *world* as such."

So, officially, it's the world itself, not the whitish map of the world with icons spread all over. See last page (19 for me, at the default page length) for a couple of good posts from Mr Shade.

KneeDragr
12-16-2014, 03:32 PM
But even that is not big issue for me. Big issue for me is therm Refurbished Map. In my opinion when you announce something like that better have answer what that means exactly. I am sure we will have more info when they release Patch Changelog but now i am thinking what they will Refurbish. Does that mean removing geometry from game, lowering texture resolution, lowering NPC count, changing polycount on models or something else? I would love to hear member of development team explaining what they will do and how they will improve state of the game and why those things are necessary for performance improvements. As much as ComDevs are informing as accurately i am always for experts opinion (in this case member of the Patch dev team).

I dont work for them but Ive been working in 3D rendering for almost 20 years, at game and simulation companies so perhaps I can offer insight.

Current gen consoles do not have a big problem with polycount or texture resolution, not at 900p anyhow so I dont think you will see any issue there.

From what I read, which may not be true, they have a problem with draw calls - approaching 50,0000 in some instances. Thats way too high for a PC, but might be do-able on a console at 20hz or so. Currently NVidia cards are better with draw calls because their drivers allow you to spread them out over multiple threads and gain a reasonable performance increase ( 30% or so ), where ATI, even if you code it that way, funnels the draw calls into a single thread on their end. DX12 should gain parity with consoles in this area or close to it.

We designed our codebase to massively reduce draw calls at distance, at the expense of vertex and texture memory. It wouldent work on a console but works great on a PC which if fine because we do simulations not games. Our databases are not nearly as detailed as Paris. I would say, they have at least 10x more detail for the same database size, maybe 100x. I doubt our system would be able to handle that level of detail unless you had 16g and a 4g card.

Either way, in order to reduce draw calls they will need to either.
1.) Reduce unique textures and/or materials in the level art. When you switch texture ( or more appropriately groups of textures since they use several at once ) or material type, you incur an additional draw call. Texture arrays can mitigate this at the expense of memory, and you can write material information into textures or vertices. Still, in general, the more unique items and types, the more draw calls.
2.) Increase LOD distances for detail art ( stuff on the street, framing on windows - you can see that stuff pop-in at distance ).
3.) Increase LOD distances for characters. ( you can see this also, people popping in sometimes their hats and outfits will pop to a more detailed version ).
4.) Fix problem areas - seems to me like there are certain areas where you get chug - they might just need to reduce detail in a few specific areas.

Shahkulu101
12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
^ Ah, so it's likely a 'downgrade' so to speak. I won't mind as long as it's not too noticeable and the performance and technical issues are considerably improved. Most of the beauty in Paris comes from the art style anyway.

killzab
12-16-2014, 03:42 PM
I dont work for them but Ive been working in 3D rendering for almost 20 years, at game and simulation companies so perhaps I can offer insight.

Current gen consoles do not have a big problem with polycount or texture resolution, not at 900p anyhow so I dont think you will see any issue there.

From what I read, which may not be true, they have a problem with draw calls - approaching 50,0000 in some instances. Thats way too high for a PC, but might be do-able on a console at 20hz or so. Currently NVidia cards are better with draw calls because their drivers allow you to spread them out over multiple threads and gain a reasonable performance increase ( 30% or so ), where ATI, even if you code it that way, funnels the draw calls into a single thread on their end. DX12 should gain parity with consoles in this area or close to it.

We designed our codebase to massively reduce draw calls at distance, at the expense of vertex and texture memory. It wouldent work on a console but works great on a PC which if fine because we do simulations not games. Our databases are not nearly as detailed as Paris. I would say, they have at least 10x more detail for the same database size, maybe 100x. I doubt our system would be able to handle that level of detail unless you had 16g and a 4g card.

Either way, in order to reduce draw calls they will need to either.
1.) Reduce unique textures and/or materials in the level art. When you switch texture ( or more appropriately groups of textures since they use several at once ) or material type, you incur an additional draw call. Texture arrays can mitigate this at the expense of memory, and you can write material information into textures or vertices. Still, in general, the more unique items and types, the more draw calls.
2.) Increase LOD distances for detail art ( stuff on the street, framing on windows - you can see that stuff pop-in at distance ).
3.) Increase LOD distances for characters. ( you can see this also, people popping in sometimes their hats and outfits will pop to a more detailed version ).
4.) Fix problem areas - seems to me like there are certain areas where you get chug - they might just need to reduce detail in a few specific areas.

You mean the terrible Pop-in is also responsible for the poor performance ? So if they increased the pop-in distances, they would improve the framerate as well ? Hard to believe ... I might have not understood well ...

KneeDragr
12-16-2014, 03:44 PM
You mean the terrible Pop-in is also responsible for the poor performance ? So if they improved the NPCS, they would improve the framerate as well ? Hard to believe ...

No you read that wrong. The pop-in helps performance and may need to be even more noticeable in order to reduce draw calls.

We cant do 'pop-in' because our customers dont allow it - so our detail art looks like their lower res stuff, lol.

Jackdaw951
12-16-2014, 03:45 PM

This is something that always gets me in trouble with PC fans when I bring it up. PCs may have been 10 times more powerful than consoles last gen, but the fact is that they need that extra power to compensate for the draw-call and hardware-abstraction-layer hamstringing. I always refer them to this article (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2) as a boost to credibility.

KneeDragr
12-16-2014, 03:54 PM
This is something that always gets me in trouble with PC fans when I bring it up. PCs may have been 10 times more powerful than consoles last gen, but the fact is that they need that extra power to compensate for the draw-call and hardware-abstraction-layer hamstringing. I always refer them to this article (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2) as a boost to credibility.

Yeah the draw call thing really holds back PCs, especially ports from consoles. We do this thing where at a distance, we chop up the data and reduce its resolution into this 1-draw call chunk using texture arrays. It reduces draw calls by a factor of 10. The problem is, once your low-res art hits a certain level of detail, those chunk pass the 32-bit index boundary and you incur this big performance hit. So you can chop it up more, and get hit with more draw calls, or just keep the detail in your art down. You just couldent do a system like that for how detailed Paris is in this game. Plus those chunks eat up a ton of memory, as do the texture arrays.

I take my hat off to them for how great this game looks and how huge it is, its amazing. The art too, incredible artwork.

killzab
12-16-2014, 03:56 PM
No you read that wrong. The pop-in helps performance and may need to be even more noticeable in order to reduce draw calls.

We cant do 'pop-in' because our customers dont allow it - so our detail art looks like their lower res stuff, lol.

I don't think they can afford a worse pop-in actually ...

HeJePi
12-16-2014, 04:09 PM
You know when you have played Skyrim for the total of 900 hours ...

Then another game of Skyrim Legendary for a total of 800 hours ...

You spend more time in the loading screens than the actual gameplay !

All those little 'issues' with ACU are really peanutz ;)

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 04:31 PM

Same with Esco.

FYI Widow isn't on the AC team anymore and Shade only got his new job/promotion thing a few months ago so hes probably very busy. Also I know for sure that Johkr is a busy guy too. I'm not sure about Gabe, but I love everything he does for us. He's probably working in the shadows somewhere.

VoXngola
12-16-2014, 04:35 PM
FYI Widow isn't on the AC team anymore and Shade only got his new job/promotion thing a few months ago so hes probably very busy. Also I know for sure that Johkr is a busy guy too. I'm not sure about Gabe, but I love everything he does for us. He's probably working in the shadows somewhere.

Not to sound like an a-hole here or anything, just genuinely curious. What *exactly* are they busy with?

Assassin_M
12-16-2014, 04:40 PM
What *exactly* are they busy with?
Johkr and Shade LITERALLY just talked about that 2 pages ago.

Rafe Harwood
12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
^ Ah, so it's likely a 'downgrade' so to speak. I won't mind as long as it's not too noticeable and the performance and technical issues are considerably improved. Most of the beauty in Paris comes from the art style anyway.

I'm guessing you have been there (being from Scotland), but most of the beauty of Paris is in the imagination. One of the most hyped cities in the world lol

Jackdaw951
12-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah the draw call thing really holds back PCs, especially ports from consoles. We do this thing where at a distance, we chop up the data and reduce its resolution into this 1-draw call chunk using texture arrays. It reduces draw calls by a factor of 10. The problem is, once your low-res art hits a certain level of detail, those chunk pass the 32-bit index boundary and you incur this big performance hit. So you can chop it up more, and get hit with more draw calls, or just keep the detail in your art down. You just couldent do a system like that for how detailed Paris is in this game. Plus those chunks eat up a ton of memory, as do the texture arrays.

I take my hat off to them for how great this game looks and how huge it is, its amazing. The art too, incredible artwork.

You clearly know your stuff. That is some creative optimization. I'm so out of the loop anymore. The last time I worked on real-time 3D, we were just transitioning from software rasterizers to 3Dfx. :D I moved on to more mundane C++ programming after that, and now I'm entirely done with the field. I don't miss the trenches either, let me tell you. It was a lot more fun with 8-bit micros.

I do hope they find some creative solutions for the frame-rate and pop-in issues. One fights against the other, but hopefully there's some optimization that they've missed along the way which would help both. The game was released in a shoddy state, after all.

Shahkulu101
12-16-2014, 05:01 PM
I'm guessing you have been there (being from Scotland), but most of the beauty of Paris is in the imagination. One of the most hyped cities in the world lol

No I haven't been, unfortunately. I was talking about the in-game version, and how the art style makes the city look amazing. Apparently it's quite close to the real thing (of course, more old-fashioned), which means I'd probably love real life Paris. Especially the palace gardens and the grand landmarks - although I wouldn't be able to climb on top of them and jump into a haystack from their highest point... :rolleyes:

I take it you have been and weren't too impressed?

JustPlainQuirky
12-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Oh, and as compensation, I want all the ComDevs to wear christmas hats. :rolleyes:

Let it be so! *slams mallet*

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Oh, and as compensation, I want all the ComDevs to wear christmas hats. :rolleyes:

Let it be so! *slams mallet*

They should wear the hats of various faiths and beliefs. I will also accept tin foil hats.

KneeDragr
12-16-2014, 05:13 PM
You clearly know your stuff. That is some creative optimization. I'm so out of the loop anymore. The last time I worked on real-time 3D, we were just transitioning from software rasterizers to 3Dfx. :D I moved on to more mundane C++ programming after that, and now I'm entirely done with the field. I don't miss the trenches either, let me tell you. It was a lot more fun with 8-bit micros.

I do hope they find some creative solutions for the frame-rate and pop-in issues. One fights against the other, but hopefully there's some optimization that they've missed along the way which would help both. The game was released in a shoddy state, after all.

I was doing it back then also - I actually wrote the Glide patch for a couple published games. Its a lot more fun now days, and great programmers like Stephen Hill are out there sharing resources making my job easier and more fun. We are converting our rendering to PBL and IBL and his resources are excellent.

They actually already do some pretty creative stuff that I have noticed. Have you noticed when you are outside how opaque the windows are? This allow them to use buildings as occluders more effectively. Its pretty much impossible to look through a window, see through the entire building onto a street behind it. Also, when you are in a building looking out a window, there are usually not long lines of sight and even if there were, the white point they use for tonemapping blooms everything outside so much, you cant see that far. There are a few places where you can actually see and run through a building, but for the most part, they can occlude huge amounts of the database just with how they designed their art. Without amazing occlusion, the game would be a slideshow. I mean its kilometers upon kilometers of overdraw even after frustum culling.

BurianLukas
12-16-2014, 05:16 PM
**** patch, let me game for free what you promised. I bought seasson pass and nothing:mad::mad::mad:

D.I.D.
12-16-2014, 05:17 PM
I was doing it back then also - I actually wrote the Glide patch for a couple published games. Its a lot more fun now days, and great programmers like Stephen Hill are out there sharing resources making my job easier and more fun. We are converting our rendering to PBL and IBL and his resources are excellent.

They actually already do some pretty creative stuff that I have noticed. Have you noticed when you are outside how opaque the windows are? This allow them to use buildings as occluders more effectively. Its pretty much impossible to look through a window, see through the entire building onto a street behind it. Also, when you are in a building looking out a window, there are usually not long lines of sight and even if there were, the white point they use for tonemapping blooms everything outside so much, you cant see that far. There are a few places where you can actually see and run through a building, but for the most part, they can occlude huge amounts of the database just with how they designed their art. Without amazing occlusion, the game would be a slideshow. I mean its kilometers upon kilometers of overdraw even after frustum culling.

I think that's a great example of honest sleight of hand too, because the player gets a bonus out of it. Something in my brain loves the effect of going into and out bright light in Unity and Watch Dogs, and the gradual "recovery" of my eyesight. If that's a case of the game "recovering" its world in the process, then that's a wonderful balance!

Mr_Shade
12-16-2014, 05:18 PM
**** patch, let me game for free what you promised. I bought seasson pass and nothing:mad::mad::mad:

hI,

You will get all of the promised content from your season pass, when it releases, and details of how to claim you game are coming soon.

pacmanate
12-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Hello Mr Shade

Jackdaw951
12-16-2014, 05:42 PM

Oh, geez, Glide. There's a word I had not thought of in a long time. With the advent of the internet, I'll bet much of the work is easier, particularly when talented developers share the wealth.

Yeah, creative occlusion is so important. Blooming to white is a good cheat for that. I'm surprised they allow as much translucency as they do. The only jarring limitation is in the mirrors, or rather the lack of them. Being inside a building with lots of guards inside and outside will cause some serious chug, and you can see them through the windows too. So they don't always cheat. In this case, it's more important to see what's happening. I do wonder how effectively they limit the rendering to the view cone, and how much front-to-back logic is applied to reducing the workload. It seems that even when you just look at a flat wall, if there's a lot happening outside or around you, the frame rate will still suffer.

Rafe Harwood
12-16-2014, 06:12 PM
No I haven't been, unfortunately. I was talking about the in-game version, and how the art style makes the city look amazing. Apparently it's quite close to the real thing (of course, more old-fashioned), which means I'd probably love real life Paris. Especially the palace gardens and the grand landmarks - although I wouldn't be able to climb on top of them and jump into a haystack from their highest point... :rolleyes:

I take it you have been and weren't too impressed?

Many. many times over the years.

It has some amazing places, palaces museums and all the rest, but, it's a city. Dirty, smelly, crowded. It has one of the worst roads in the world surrounding it (just ask anyone who has driven on the Périphérique).

It's always worth a visit. As has been suggested, there are some things that are truly amazing (no idea whose stupid idea it was to build a pyramid in front of the Louvre), but at the end of the day, the romanticism of Paris is purely a construct of the imagination/marketing :)

stetsonaw
12-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Patch 4 is live: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/975386-Patch-4-Release-Notes

SolidNSnake1985
12-16-2014, 09:32 PM
it's gonna take a while for me to download however

can someone tell me if YOU've noticed a Diffrence in Frame Rate Performance?